Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2016 10:51:26 PM EDT
I am debating on my next purchase and have it narrowed down between a IWI Galil Ace or the CZ Bren 805. I understand they are two different platforms. I just can't decide which is more worth of purchase. I really like the idea of the Galil Ace due to the 7.62x39 round being found so cheap. But I don't like the stock. The CZ would likely suppress better. It's a hard choice. I will likely end up with both but which would you chose first?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 12:00:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Bren

The ACE brings nothing to the table.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 12:12:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Bren.

and Get a real Ak
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 1:08:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Another vote for Bren, you won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 6:28:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bren

The ACE brings nothing to the table.
View Quote

Shit, seems like its a modernized and perfected AK.   MACs video showed the Brens forend gets super hot.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 6:55:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I have an ACE.

The stock on it sucks but outside of that I like it plenty. It's like a FAL that shoots cheaper ammo, pretty accurate too!
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 7:11:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have an ACE.

The stock on it sucks but outside of that I like it plenty. It's like a FAL that shoots cheaper ammo, pretty accurate too!
View Quote

Is the stock changeable?  Might be cool wait a SCAR stock, but i dont think those exist.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 9:14:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Is the stock changeable?  Might be cool wait a SCAR stock, but i dont think those exist.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have an ACE.

As of yet you get what you get, it's a newer platform so the aftermarket isn't there yet.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Id go with the ACE now and wait for the Bren 2.
With some aftermarket support, I think the ACE is going to be outstanding.

Id have one already if it werent for the fact that the lower makes it so you cant use Circle 10 waffle mags.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#9]
What changes does the Bren 2 offer over current model? Once I decide which of these to go with then I have to decide rifle or pistol then submit form 1.  Too many choices
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 1:42:05 PM EDT
[#10]
After handling both and actually shooting a Bren .....neither bring anything game changing to the table at $1900 3x the price of a AR.

Of the two for just something different too shoot over a AR and with a big bank account I'd take the Bren.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 1:46:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Get the ACE now as there is not a already upgraded ACE version 2.0 like there is with the 805 and 806.

In my book Bren 806 > ACE > 805

That being said either gun is pretty damn amazing.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 2:30:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What changes does the Bren 2 offer over current model? Once I decide which of these to go with then I have to decide rifle or pistol then submit form 1.  Too many choices
View Quote

Lighter. Non-reciprocating charging handle, and a bolt release I believe. However, it'll be a at least a year, probably two before they get here, and that's if Hillary doesn't stop that before the time even comes. I'd say it's 50-50 if we ever see them.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 3:55:44 PM EDT
[#13]
As a disinterested third party of both platforms, I'd go with the Bren 805.

You mention suppressing it. The ACE will not run suppressed based on the reviews I've seen.  Rifle is overgassed for reliability's sake, but the back pressure of a silencer increases the bolt velocity too much and it can't feed.  I had high hopes for the platform as a good path to suppressed 7.62x39 but it isn't to be.  I have a modified 556R that has an extra position drilled on the gas plug that was about as small as I could get done but still untested.

805 suppresses just fine.  It's heavy and has some goofy features, but I like the FS2000 so I can't deride goofy features too much.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 8:36:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Galil Ace for me...........
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 12:25:50 AM EDT
[#15]
If a suppressor is mandatory that almost disqualifies the Ace at the moment, until they can fix the back pressure issue.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 12:37:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll keep my 556R.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 1:30:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Neither ring my bell.  They are both heavy and the Bren needs special tools to maintain the bolt.

SCAR would be my choice.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 3:57:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Neither ring my bell.  They are both heavy and the Bren needs special tools to maintain the bolt.

SCAR would be my choice.
View Quote

I already have a SCAR. Suppressor ready is not a requirement. If I can find one of those ACR stock adapters for the Bren then my choice is complete. If not, I may go with the ACE first. Though I dislike the ACE stock even more than the factory Bren stock which I am also not a fan of. But the ACR stock on the Bren is the cats meow to me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 5:00:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Of the two... Bren

Galil belongs in 5.56 like the original, until then I have zero interest (and probably still wont)

Also the ammo price argument is negligible, SGAmmo has both calibers $0.22/rd

Do you have a bullpup OP?  

AUG
Tavor

Just a thought
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 7:28:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Do you have a bullpup OP?  

AUG
Tavor

Just a thought
View Quote

Yes as far as 5.56 bull pups I have an Aug, Tavor and FS-2000. I'm a big bullpup fan. I think I've tracked down a ACR stock adapter for the Bren so once I for sure have that, I will purchase a Bren pistol, do the form 1 and wait. Perhaps the ACE will Christmas gift or tax return purchase depending on how things go.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 1:49:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Out of the two I say the ace. It's lighter, it's insanely simple to maintain, every aspect is over engineered. There are two universal stock adapters available now for under $40. There are several key mod front ends in the works.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Both are fine rifles. I recently had this same decision. As much as I love Galils I went with the Bren. Both have their pros and cons but the Galil had more cons for me. They went out of their way to make that thing look odd. I could probably get over that but the weird magwell makes it so I can't use my favorite mags. All said and done when I do get the Galil I'd rather have it in 5.56. Maybe by then they will take care of some of the ugly features on it too.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 9:26:46 PM EDT
[#23]
I ended up ordering a Bren pistol. I will submit form 1 and have it engraved in the coming weeks. I have the ACR stock adapter on order and plan to add the ACR stock, a MI M-Lok side and bottom rails, a Silencerco ASR muzzle brake and put a Vortex Viper 1-4 with LaRue mount on it. I'll still likely get the Galil Ace one day but this one won out this round of "Which one"
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 6:25:36 PM EDT
[#24]
^^^
Sounds like a good plan. I'm interested in seeing it with the stock change.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 1:20:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Lighter. Non-reciprocating charging handle, and a bolt release I believe. However, it'll be a at least a year, probably two before they get here, and that's if Hillary doesn't stop that before the time even comes. I'd say it's 50-50 if we ever see them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, more like 3 years - the people I spoke to said CZ isn't really moving on the 806 yet, other irons in the fire right now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top