Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2016 8:30:47 PM EDT
My daughter is graduating from a police academy in Texas at the end of the year.  She is already suggesting a Christmas gift; a compact for off-duty carry.  I've looked at the various compact 9mm out there and they are all about 1-1.5 pounds, heavy triggers and slim with 6-7 round mags.  I'm thinking of something like the Taurus PT 709.  She owns a Browning HP but wants something smaller.  I think she will be issued a Sig P320 in the coming months.

I told her to ask her instructors what they recommend and we would probably go with that unless they thought the Kel Tec was good.    Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Randy
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you hate your daughter? If not , don`t get her a Taurus. You should ask her what she likes or  uses, or wants. Also, Her dept may have an approved list to pick from.HTH
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:46:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I love my daughter and have never shot a Taurus, that is why I'm asking for advice here and am likely to go with whatever advice she gets from police in TX.  

Randy
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#3]
IMHO. It should be the same operating system as her primary weapon.  '

It is a striker fired gun. Get another one like it. The Taurus 709 is a good gun at a good price.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#4]
The Glock 43 would be my first choice, followed by the S&W Shield and the Walther PPS. The Taurus would not be on my list at all.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:15:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The Glock 43 would be my first choice, followed by the S&W Shield and the Walther PPS. The Taurus would not be on my list at all.
View Quote
This, but a Kahr PM9 (with night sights) is at the top of my list. Kel-tec is ok too.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:13:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Glock 26 or M&P9C
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:20:35 PM EDT
[#7]
My suggestion would be to get a smaller version of her duty weapon, if one exists. Most all of the BIG NAME
manufacturers make scaled-down versions of their full-size handguns. This makes it more familiar to
operate and also cleaning/ maintenance will probably be the same. Find out what she is or will be
carrying on duty and see what that company has in a down-sized version.

(And I doubt that she will be carrying a Taurus!)
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:22:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Glock 26 or M&P9C
View Quote

These or their single stack cousins the 43 or Shield.

In reality, it kind of depends on how she will carry, but at least the Glock and S&W pistols are reliable with tons of aftermarket support for parts, holsters, etc.

Will she have to qualify with the off duty pistol?  That may be another consideration with pistol type.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:31:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It is a striker fired gun. Get another one like it. The Taurus 709 is a good gun at a good price.
View Quote

This.

Absolutely.

If she is issued a full-size (I assume) P320, get her a subcompact P320.

In any case, if possible, I would get her a smaller version of whatever she is issued or decides/is authorized to carry.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:50:15 AM EDT
[#10]
G19
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:14:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
This.

Absolutely.

In any case, if possible, I would get her a smaller version of whatever she is issued or decides/is authorized to carry.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

Absolutely.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:10:56 AM EDT
[#12]

If she gets issued the P320, either the full size or carry models, I wouldn't mess around with gifting her the subcompact.   It ain't a whole hell of a lot smaller.  Besides, with a carry, she could just get a SC frame and there ain't no fun in buying her a frame.

I say you should look for something single stack, for when she can't conceal her duty gun.  G43 or Shield gets my vote.  Both are shootable and reliable.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:20:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Kahr CM9
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:46:05 AM EDT
[#14]
P320 Carry since she's trained on the P320 for a duty gun.

If she wants smaller, the Shield is the obvious choice as it has the almost similar ergonomics to the P320, get some Talon rubber grips for it, and it will be good to go.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:55:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Make sure her department does not limit which off duty she can carry or limit which caliber she can carry. For example my department only authorizes the G27, G42, or G43 for off duty carry anything else I can not act as an LEO off duty as policy does not cover my actions with an unauthorized weapon.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:53:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Kahr Pm9.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:14:53 AM EDT
[#17]
I've had some reliability issues with the Glock 43's, not saying its a bad gun, but its just not the best gun out there. Everyone at my work seems to have agreed the Shield is the best out of all the single stack carry 9's. The Springfield XDS and Walther PPS are also solid options with no issues. But yeah and when the Performance Center Shield came out everyone was so happy, ha. I would highly recommend the Shield PC model for sure. You can get the Shield's with a safety or without a safety. I personally don't care for the safety on this style gun.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:17:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've had some reliability issues with the Glock 43's, not saying its a bad gun, but its just not the best gun out there. Everyone at my work seems to have agreed the Shield is the best out of all the single stack carry 9's. The Springfield XDS and Walther PPS are also solid options with no issues. But yeah and when the Performance Center Shield came out everyone was so happy, ha. I would highly recommend the Shield PC model for sure. You can get the Shield's with a safety or without a safety. I personally don't care for the safety on this style gun.
View Quote

What reliability issues have you had with the 43?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:44:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:09:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree with this list of pistols...  But, as stated, it would be smart to check to see what firearms are authorized as either back-ups or off-duty weapons by her department.  I carry a Glock 43 off-duty and feel well armed with a second magazine.  The only issue with the Glock 43 is that its only has a six round cap magazines AND most every LEO department, I know of, do not authorize any NON FACTORY modifications to the firearm, to include the magazines for liability reasons since you are still acting under the authority of their department... Even while off-duty.  To date, I don't know why Glock hasn't made a seven shot magazine since it can be done...  As proven time after time.

Just remember that the pistol must be in "factory issued condition" without any "custom" modifications... In most cases, except for possibly a slip-on rubber grip, as authorized by my agency.  If she is involved in a shooting, even while off-duty, the department responsible for the investigation, will take that pistol and have it inspected to ensure that its in compliance.  This is something I wouldn't test.

BTW, I shot the Walther PPS, which I pretty much liked, based on the trigger and recoil system.

Regardless, a slim single stacked compact 9mm is a winner when living in a warm climate like Texas!!
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:40:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Make sure her department does not limit which off duty she can carry or limit which caliber she can carry. For example my department only authorizes the G27, G42, or G43 for off duty carry anything else I can not act as an LEO off duty as policy does not cover my actions with an unauthorized weapon.
View Quote

Ill second this.

She may be limited to what she can carry off duty.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The Taurus 709 is a good gun at a good price.
View Quote

No, it's not. Recommending Taurus for carry should be a bannable offense.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:39:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Taurus 709 is a good gun at a good price.

^^ this.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:53:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Get the Sig P320 in compact, holds 15, great trigger and she can get it for 425.00 with her credentials.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:52:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Check out the Walther PPS. I was turned on to it by the hive in GD and love it! Acurate weapon, feels good in the hand and is very comfortable to carry.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:57:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Look at the CZ Rami or HK P30sk
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:13:24 PM EDT
[#27]
1) S&W Shield.  
2) Walther PPS
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:49:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Walther PPS
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:13:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

This maybe even a P320 Subcompact.  Or P290

Do not go with a Taurus auto.  

They just are not worth the potential problems.

The Kahr P9 or PM9 are also great guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top