Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/25/2016 8:38:39 PM EDT
Wanting some input on options for a .223/5.56 Semi auto that is not an AR. I have more than enough AR's and was wanting something different. Was hoping not to spend more than $1800.

The Candidates so far-

X-95/Tavor- I dont own a bullpup and these seem like good guns, but I have no actuall experience with them.
ACR- I have heard good and bad, but never fired on for myself
CZ/Bren 805- Looks good in the write ups I've seen but I am unsure if these are even avaible.
ARX-100 - I like the controls on this one and I have never been unhappy with a Beretta product.

Or- suggest your own candidate

Poll inbound
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:48:30 PM EDT
[#1]
non of the above.  Sig MCX
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:50:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I went Tavor.  The Bren is out there, I've heard mixed reviews but I believe the bad were I heard from someone in Europe type things.  I had a Scar16 and liked it alright, but they are expensive.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:53:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:58:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
non of the above.  Sig MCX
View Quote

This. I own the MPX and have shot and worked on my buddies MCX. Solid guns.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:34:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Either the Sig MCX or the new Henry .223 level action. Only issue with it is 5 round mag hopefully come out with a bigger mag.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:34:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The Candidates so far-

X-95/Tavor- 3 MOA 1700.00 gun? OK.
ACR- No supp[ort, no parts? No problem. Bushmaster sucks. Bad.
CZ/Bren 805-  Excellent trigger out of the box, 1 MOA, higher quality (agruably) than a Scar for half the price. EZ-SBR with pistol
ARX-100 - 15 pound trigger. 2-3 MOA gun with reports of up to 5 MOA, and Beretta claiming 5 MOA is acceptable.

Poll inbound
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:36:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Other - Robinson XCR.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:17:24 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Other - Robinson XCR.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:27:40 AM EDT
[#9]
if you want something different go with the Tavor.
I dont have one but a friend of mine does and its a nice little tool.. require some time to get used to it but I liked it.

if you want an improved ARish all other in your list will work.
I would just keep in mind spare parts availability just in case...
the Bren seems like a solid rifle...
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:23:49 AM EDT
[#10]
My two favorites are the Tavor and SCAR 16.  If your budget is $1800, the SCAR may be out of reach.  But the Tavor is an excellent rifle.

I have never fired an X-95 to compare the two, but I fully endorse the Tavor.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 12:55:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Ruger Mini 14 stainless
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:20:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Tavor followed closely by bren 805
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:24:11 PM EDT
[#13]
AUG
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:54:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Bren is my favorite, I like it so much that it's the number two gun I would pick up as of now.
It currently has a pistol brace on it right now, I can't wait to get my back my tax stamp.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:32:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I wanted something different so i went scar
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:27:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Tavor SAR (Non-X95) - I love mine

If you want to get something "non-AR" might as well get something different like a bullpup carbine.  I had a SCAR-16 and it did absolutely nothing my AR's didn't do, but was much more expensive, had little factory parts support, and didn't have much rail space.  Sold it and do not miss it one bit.  I think the 805 Bren, ACR, and ARX 100 all fall in this same category.

Also consider a AUG.  Now that authentic STEYR rifles are available in the US I would probably buy one over a Tavor... They are fantastic rifles
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:02:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Tavor SAR (Non-X95) - I love mine

If you want to get something "non-AR" might as well get something different like a bullpup carbine.  I had a SCAR-16 and it did absolutely nothing my AR's didn't do, but was much more expensive, had little factory parts support, and didn't have much rail space.  Sold it and do not miss it one bit.  I think the 805 Bren, ACR, and ARX 100 all fall in this same category.

Also consider a AUG.  Now that authentic STEYR rifles are available in the US I would probably buy one over a Tavor... They are fantastic rifles
View Quote

I had considered the extra cost for minimal return compared to the AR, which is one serious plus for the Tavor and it's highly compact package.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:07:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ruger Mini 14 stainless
View Quote

While I have heard Ruger improved the Mini 14, I just can't do it. I have owned two of them and just don't like them much. They run pretty well and are fairly affordable, but I like my ARs better.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wanting some input on options for a .223/5.56 Semi auto that is not an AR. I have more than enough AR's and was wanting something different. Was hoping not to spend more than $1800.

The Candidates so far-

X-95/Tavor- I dont own a bullpup and these seem like good guns, but I have no actuall experience with them.
ACR- I have heard good and bad, but never fired on for myself
CZ/Bren 805- Looks good in the write ups I've seen but I am unsure if these are even avaible.
ARX-100 - I like the controls on this one and I have never been unhappy with a Beretta product.

Or- suggest your own candidate

Poll inbound
View Quote

As you're a present AR owner the two I'd pay closest attention to are the Tavor and ARX. Both have controls that are very friendly to people that are used to the AR control layout. Between the Tavor and ARX it's a tough choice. I appreciate the Tavor's ability to get rifle ballistics out of a SBR sized package that engineered to be simpler than an AK. OTOH, if you're dead set on a conventional layout rifle or might want to occasionally want to convert it to LH, the ARX is the way to go.

Between the standard Tavor and the X95 I'd stick with my Tavor. The SBR laws mean IWI can't ship an American X95 that has all of the advantages of the original product, and I personally prefer the mag release on the original Tavor, it's huge and easy to hit yet well shielded enough that I've never hit it by mistake.

AJ
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:41:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

AUG
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:01:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Other - Robinson XCR.

This or the Tavor (SAR not X95)
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:11:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I got a Bren a few weeks ago and it quickly became my favorite.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:42:30 AM EDT
[#23]
You might want to look at some pre-ban classics, they just keep going up in price a nice Valmet, HK-93, AUG or Norinco.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:46:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Tavor or AUG. can't go wrong with either
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:33:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You might want to look at some pre-ban classics, they just keep going up in price a nice Valmet, HK-93, AUG or Norinco.
View Quote

Looked into the HK-93 and I like it but the magazines are scarce and I don't know if I could bring myself to buy promags instead
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:37:59 PM EDT
[#26]
FNC

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:09:34 PM EDT
[#27]

Sure, I can keep it in the safe next to my unicorn
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:29:58 PM EDT
[#28]
it sits behind the SCAR 17s

there is no room for unicorn
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:50:59 PM EDT
[#29]
I miss my FNC,

Mine was a sear gun that someone offered me a stupid amount of money for years ago.

I wish FN would import these again, they were a good gun but not at the current prices.

With whats available out there now, I would have to go with an AUG. Tavors are nice but the accuracy is Meh for the amount of money.

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:49:58 PM EDT
[#30]
I won't spend the kind of money they normally fetch to buy an FNC. I'd buy a SCAR 16 first.

Here are some other non-AR 5.56 weapons I like:
AUG A3 (and A2)     I'm currently using an A2 with an A3 stock, because it's lighter and I like the bolt release.
Daewoo K2
SIG SG 551 (the real one, but a tried and tested 556/551A1 might be ok. Smartest $ would be a SAN 553 pistol to SBR, still expensive though)
Arsenal's AK's (post-feed ramp/chamber fix, which would include any newly-manufactured model)
HK53 or HK33K clone (Zenith's MKE > Century)
I picked up a G36 on a deal, but their clones (SL8 conversions) are stupid expensive and I haven't personally tested the trunnion heat issue yet, but I believe it exists.
HK416 is also made of expensive, but known awesomeness.
F2000 is pretty cool. Weird, but cool. No auto bolt hold-open, but it's lighter than the AUG and easier to get front rails/accessories on it. Price is up on the FS2000 due to halted import, which was due to slow sales.
I would not buy an ACR, but I might try an R5 RGP.

I'd like to try the CZ Bren, Beretta ARX, Tavor X95, and B&T APC556, but as of now I have no personal experience with them.

I'm also thinking about trying a Ruger SR-556 Takedown in the LMG role, but idk if spare 5.56 barrels are available yet.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:20:07 AM EDT
[#31]
I have an ARX 100 and like it a lot, but I will admit that I'm a Beretta fanboy and drink their Koolaid.  I wish I had lots more money so I could scoop up as many of these "exotic" rifles while they are still available.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:27:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Aug, Bren, Beretta ARX-100 would be my picks in that order but just barely...all excellent and can't really go wrong with any of them. The AUG and Bren are neck and neck in the favorites department.

I would also recommend the Polish Beryl/Archer if you can find one (and the mags)...great rifle.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:55:50 PM EDT
[#33]
FN SCAR

I'd rather save up a little longer and not be prohibited by cost.  Besides, if you're going to be a bear, be a grizzly.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
FN SCAR

I'd rather save up a little longer and not be prohibited by cost.  Besides, if you're going to be a bear, be a grizzly.
View Quote

What does the SCAR do that the ARX doesn't do better and then some?

I'm not asking this to you specifically, this is directed more at just any SCAR supporter.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:46:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'm not asking this to you specifically, this is directed more at just any SCAR supporter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FN SCAR

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is accuracy. The Scar is more accurate but not by much from my sample size of 1 each. Both plenty accurate for practical work.

I sold the Scar and still have and will keep the ARX. Scar cost me $2200 completely stock and I got the ARX for $900 with the SS trigger.

IMO the ARX is NOT a $1700 gun and the Scar is NOT a $2k plus gun. If I got the Scar for $1500 or less I'd probably still have it
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:03:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FN SCAR

Takes pmags.

I also hate the fore end on the arx... I thought the scar was fat until I handled the beretta, poorly done imo.

Scar has better irons too, but I know most people don't really use them anymore.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:44:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Takes pmags.

I also hate the fore end on the arx... I thought the scar was fat until I handled the beretta, poorly done imo.

Scar has better irons too, but I know most people don't really use them anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
FN SCAR

Takes pmags.

The SCAR doesn't work with anything but Gen 3 PMAGS and I've heard that it can be finicky with those as well.

The ARX doesn't work with Gen 3 PMAGS but it works perfect with Gen 1 and Gen 2 PMAGS.

I don't disagree on the janky BUIS set that the ARX comes with... At least you can change them out.

The handguards are different to be sure but it didn't take me long to get past that as being an issue though... It really comes down to the grip that you prefer to use I guess.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:50:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is accuracy. The Scar is more accurate but not by much from my sample size of 1 each. Both plenty accurate for practical work.

I sold the Scar and still have and will keep the ARX. Scar cost me $2200 completely stock and I got the ARX for $900 with the SS trigger.

IMO the ARX is NOT a $1700 gun and the Scar is NOT a $2k plus gun. If I got the Scar for $1500 or less I'd probably still have it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
FN SCAR

I guess I should have said other than the slight accuracy difference.

I can think of 2 things that the SCAR has that the ARX doesn't, a check riser and a suppressor setting but that's all I can think of at the moment.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:06:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
FN SCAR

View Quote

I disagree, I had a SCAR and sold it... It comes with many more negatives traits than positive

There is a reason SOCOM dropped it and went back to the MK18...

THE GOOD
+ Easy to strip and clean
+ Light Recoil
+ Looks "Operator"
+ Will amuse and impress your friends

THE BAD
- Thin barrel that's barely suitable for a suppressor mount
- Replacement barrels are scarce and ridiculously expensive
- Lower must be modified to accept standard AR grips (easy fix, but purposely done by FNH)
- Factory trigger sucks balls
- Good triggers are stupid expensive (I paid ~$300 for a Geissele)
- Very limited rail space
- Sling attachment points suck...
- Reciprocating charging handle (not a big deal, but for a $2k+ rifle...)
- Pmag's must be modified to not cause problems with bolt catch wear (google is your friend)
- Factory FSP is attached to gas block

And that's my honest opinion on my SCAR...

Save your $$$
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:16:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I disagree, I had a SCAR and sold it... It comes with many more negatives traits than positive

THE GOOD
+ Light Recoil
+ Looks "Operator"

THE BAD
- Lower must be modified to accept standard AR grips (easy fix, but purposely done by FNH)
- Pmag's must be modified to not cause problems with bolt catch wear (google is your friend)

Save your $$$
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FN SCAR

THE GOOD
+ Light Recoil
+ Looks "Operator"

THE BAD

Save your $$$

I don't disagree with your list but I actually prefer the front sight to be attached to the gas block, it's one of the reasons that I like the Colt 6940 so much. What is the negative aspect here?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:23:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I don't disagree with your list but I actually prefer the front sight to be attached to the gas block, it's one of the reasons that I like the Colt 6940 so much. What is the negative aspect here?
View Quote

I prefer a full 1913 rail that allows the attachment of any BUIS without modification.

YMMV
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:34:48 AM EDT
[#42]
The 95 is a fine bullet hose. Accurate enough for your likely engagement distances. Rapid fires great. Trigger aint that bad. Short enough.to hide easily
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:04:22 AM EDT
[#43]

Zastava m90np, with plenty left over for fancy bits like a scope rail, folding stock, etc
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:28:26 PM EDT
[#44]
That M90NP is pretty good looking!  I keep going back and forth on one myself but keep passing since I don't have any other Yugo stuff.

I love the non-AR semi auto world.  I've built some awesome and boring ARs over the years, so switching over to "different" is fun.

From your list, I'd make it a coin flip between the Beretta ARX100 and the Bushmaster ACR.  Overall, the ARX has some pretty well-thought-out ergos, reliable design, and some cachet as an example of the current Italian service rifle.  The ACR is perhaps the ultimate evolution of the AR-18 design, also taking the edge in accuracy and trigger over the ARX.  I have and enjoy both.  You're more likely to see factory support for the ARX though Beretta is glacially slow in doing so.  Bushmington has essentially given up the ACR though they do continue to manufacture them.  There is a decent cottage industry that has sprung up around it though, if you do get a wild hair to change the barrel or something.

I have a Tavor SAR as well, and it gets points for being the IDF's service rifle, though it does feel heavy.  I do not like the X95 but I did swap in an X95 trigger pack to lighten the factory trigger a bit.  Not sure if it is a huge improvement though, as it goes from being heavy and somewhat crisp to lighter but longer and spongy.  It is slightly more common though if you wanted to be unique.

The Bren 805 is an interesting rifle, though it feels very awkward and heavy when handling.  The trigger is probably the best of the lot though.  The price is a bit of a buzzkill as it is the most expensive of those you've listed.  The lack of a BHO release is a little annoying but that is fairly common in European designs.  At least it does have a BHO feature but you have to run the charging handle. Supposed to be pretty accurate and reliable as well.  Until the price comes down about $400, I'm not interested myself.  The 806 is seeing production and fixes many of the flaws/oversights of the 805.

Anyway, all are pretty solid choices that will provide a ton of enjoyment over the years!

[Edited for correction to Bren 805]
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#45]
AUG M1
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:11:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
That M90NP is pretty good looking!  I keep going back and forth on one myself but keep passing since I don't have any other Yugo stuff.

I love the non-AR semi auto world.  I've built some awesome and boring ARs over the years, so switching over to "different" is fun.

From your list, I'd make it a coin flip between the Beretta ARX100 and the Bushmaster ACR.  Overall, the ARX has some pretty well-thought-out ergos, reliable design, and some cachet as an example of the current Italian service rifle.  The ACR is perhaps the ultimate evolution of the AR-18 design, also taking the edge in accuracy and trigger over the ARX.  I have and enjoy both.  You're more likely to see factory support for the ARX though Beretta is glacially slow in doing so.  Bushmington has essentially given up the ACR though they do continue to manufacture them.  There is a decent cottage industry that has sprung up around it though, if you do get a wild hair to change the barrel or something.

I have a Tavor SAR as well, and it gets points for being the IDF's service rifle, though it does feel heavy.  I do not like the X95 but I did swap in an X95 trigger pack to lighten the factory trigger a bit.  Not sure if it is a huge improvement though, as it goes from being heavy and somewhat crisp to lighter but longer and spongy.  It is slightly more common though if you wanted to be unique.

The Bren 805 is an interesting rifle, though it feels very awkward and heavy when handling.  The trigger is probably the best of the lot though.  The price is a bit of a buzzkill as it is the most expensive of those you've listed.  The lack of a BHO is a little annoying but that is fairly common in European designs. Supposed to be pretty accurate and reliable as well.  Until the price comes down about $400, I'm not interested myself.  The 806 is seeing production and fixes many of the flaws/oversights of the 805.

Anyway, all are pretty solid choices that will provide a ton of enjoyment over the years!
View Quote

The Bren DOES have a last round bolt hold open, and manual bolt hold open feature. It does not have an AR-style bolt release though, but you simply pull and release the charging handle once it locked back either on an empty mag or after engaging the bolt hold open button. I still find it quick and easy to manipulate, and I don't see it as a drawback whatsoever.

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:19:20 AM EDT
[#47]
I had the same dilemma last year after picking up a 3rd AR for precision shooting. I went and grabbed an AK and later an FAL among others. I would suggest one of those two or an M1. I recently picked up a Bren pistol which I plan to SBR.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:22:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
AUG

This is how I went.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:45:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The Bren DOES have a last round bolt hold open, and manual bolt hold open feature. It does not have an AR-style bolt release though, but you simply pull and release the charging handle once it locked back either on an empty mag or after engaging the bolt hold open button. I still find it quick and easy to manipulate, and I don't see it as a drawback whatsoever.

View Quote

Mea culpa. Corrected it above.

I had the FS2000 in my brain for some reason, which does suffer from no BHO at all.  The 805 does have a BHO, just need to use the CH to use it.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:56:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The Bren 805 is an interesting rifle, though it feels very awkward and heavy when handling.  The trigger is probably the best of the lot though.  The price is a bit of a buzzkill as it is the most expensive of those you've listed.  The lack of a BHO release is a little annoying but that is fairly common in European designs.  At least it does have a BHO feature but you have to run the charging handle. Supposed to be pretty accurate and reliable as well.  Until the price comes down about $400, I'm not interested myself.  The 806 is seeing production and fixes many of the flaws/oversights of the 805.

[Edited for correction to Bren 805]
View Quote

If the 806 makes it into commercial production I will buy one immediately.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top