Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2016 2:02:18 AM EDT
I have a suppressor that I'm hoping to be able to pick up soon. It will be used mostly on a Ruger 22/45, but I also have a Sig 522 that I would love to be able to use it on too.

My question is what is the correct way to remove the flash hider from the 522. I'm notorious for screwing things up sometimes and really don't want to tweak the barrel or mess up the finish trying to muscle this thing off. What would be the best way to remove it?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 4:01:09 AM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:54:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't forget to use barrel blocks to clamp the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:53:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I actually have one of the wrenches referenced above.

But, what are these barrel blocks you speak of? This is probably exactly what I was looking for, something to keep from tweaking things. I'll have to do some research on these, thanks.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 10:27:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

But, what are these barrel blocks you speak of? This is probably exactly what I was looking for, something to keep from tweaking things. I'll have to do some research on these, thanks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link.

Link.

Here's a video too. > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KnHR0IfZ4I

The cheaper unlined ones can leave aluminum marks on your barrel unless you put something between the barrel and the vise blocks. I just use those blue paper shop towels from Costco to protect the finish from the vise blocks.

For an even cheaper option you can just drill an appropriate size hole through a block of wood and then cut it in half.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:00:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks so much for the help and the vid.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:15:02 AM EDT
[#6]
FWIW, I clamp the barrel in a vice as close to the flash hider as possible.  I first wrap the barrel with a strip of leather to protect it from the vice jaws.  I find that leather grips well to both the barrel and the jaws, so no barrel clamps are needed.  Then tighten the jaws as much as possible.  You will not hurt barrel steel.  Use an open end wrench that matches the muzzle device.  Torque unusually less then 40 foot pounds, typically only 25, so it should come off pretty easy.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 1:26:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like a pretty good alternative, will have to see if I can come up with a thick piece of scrap leather.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:09:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sounds like a pretty good alternative, will have to see if I can come up with a thick piece of scrap leather.
View Quote

Doesn't have to be very thick,  You just want to protect the barrel and let the leather grip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top