User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 12:12:52 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He would have been one of the few who are te exception to the rule...if there were even plates in there. That doesn't really qualify the statement that "mass shooters are wearing armor these days"... or that anyone should even worry about mass shootings. They're super rare. Most use a truck gun for self protection against large rioting crowds (BLM) or unsavory but well armed folks (cartel drug runners), dispatching wounded animals on the side of the road as appropriate depending on location, and shooting varmints. That's why I carry mine anyways.

Thinking you're going to bust your AR out of the trunk and run around chasing an active shooter is fucking retarded. Want to know how that will end?  With the police shooting your ass. If you can make it to your vehicle you can unass the area.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless you're fighting against people with body armor I would go with the 9mm..

Mass shooters are wearing hard armor these days. If I'm carrying a rifle sized package, I'm taking the rifle sized cartridge option as well.

WASR-3. Don't much care if it gets beat up, confiscated, destroyed, or stolen. But it'll work the first time, every time.

Which ones exactly?  Because every one the MSM reports as wearing "body armor" ends up only having worn a load carrying vest.

http://cdn.unilad.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/johnson1.jpg

He would have been one of the few who are te exception to the rule...if there were even plates in there. That doesn't really qualify the statement that "mass shooters are wearing armor these days"... or that anyone should even worry about mass shootings. They're super rare. Most use a truck gun for self protection against large rioting crowds (BLM) or unsavory but well armed folks (cartel drug runners), dispatching wounded animals on the side of the road as appropriate depending on location, and shooting varmints. That's why I carry mine anyways.

Thinking you're going to bust your AR out of the trunk and run around chasing an active shooter is fucking retarded. Want to know how that will end?  With the police shooting your ass. If you can make it to your vehicle you can unass the area.

I never said to chase down active shooters. I simply answered the question on who used plates.

Link Posted: 7/31/2016 5:55:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I would love to see the actual number of civilians who were able to retrieve rifles from the car trunk and use it to stop an active shooter - don't get me wrong, I'll bet it has happened at least once, but not all that many times.
Primary worry about a trunk gun - stolen. It doesn't matter how much money you have in it, if it's stolen you will be very upset, AND someone out there has your rifle to do nefarious things with. They didn't steal it to go hunting! But the FIRST thing they go for in a car robbery is the trunk - watch bait Car? What's the first thing they do, but try to pop the trunk. Say goodnight to it, Gracie.
Area - where are you going that would make this useful? Rural area with long flat plains/small towns, full size rifle of any flavor, bolt, lever, semi, whatever floats your goat. Urban, short range? Scorpion EVO might be a great choice, even just as a pistol. Mine has the Thorden's Cheek Rest kit on it, works like a charm. Hides Ok in a UTG Covert Carry Bag. Sidearm is 26 inches long, gets an extra 100-150FPS for the extra barrel length over pistol barrel, chronoe'd by me.

The advantage to the gun in a non-descript case might also be carry out/in with people assuming it's a work related bag. Might even put "Johnsonville Crapper Cleaner - We're Number 1 in the Number 2 Game!" on the side...add some artistic brown stains, people might not want to look inside. Just a random thought.

The trunk gun certainly doesn't have to be semi auto, depending on what you envision your scenario to be, barring the Zombie thing or space alien invasion. If I had been in the counter sniper role in Dallas, this would have made me happier than a sidearm, accurate, reliable and hitting with a decent cartridge. Also if seen in public by other during non stressful situations, might just have you labeled as a hunter.

But then again, I'm not a tactical Tommy, I don't have a million gee gaws hanging off my rifles, either. This below is a "tactical" as I get.

I'd certainly feel comfortable carrying this around as my trunk gun...but the chance is far higher that it would be stolen way before I ever got to use it, and I would be minus a very expensive and hard to replace firearm, out on the street to be used for whatever crime or sold for drugs. Might be better to go get a beat up Bubba'd Mauser...still wouldn't want it stolen, but the chance would be very high it would go to a pawn shop for $20, if they even took it. BTW, this one works quite well, despite having a 100 year old receiver and 70 year old barrel. ;)

If you have the money, insurance, and lawyer to protect from any lawsuits generated by "gun stolen from civilian car used in crime", hey, go for it. Might come in very handy.

Full disclosure, I am not an expert in anything but flatulence, not am I even an Internet Commando with the Chairborn Brigade, just a fat old man in a hot town.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 6:24:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If you have the money, insurance, and lawyer to protect from any lawsuits generated by "gun stolen from civilian car used in crime", hey, go for it. Might come in very handy.

Full disclosure, I am not an expert in anything but flatulence, not am I even an Internet Commando with the Chairborn Brigade, just a fat old man in a hot town.
View Quote

Would the fat old man in a hot town care to reference cases where someone was successfully sued over a criminal stealing a gun from them and then using it? I've seen that get bandied about on gun boards for 15 years but I've never once heard of an actual case where someone was sued and found liable. Sort of like people losing self defense cases because they used Winchester's Black Talons, or their successor, Winchester Rangers. That will supposedly sink you in court because Winchester's Talons are extra mean, but it's never actually happened.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 6:51:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Would the fat old man in a hot town care to reference cases where someone was successfully sued over a criminal stealing a gun from them and then using it? I've seen that get bandied about on gun boards for 15 years but I've never once heard of an actual case where someone was sued and found liable. Sort of like people losing self defense cases because they used Winchester's Black Talons, or their successor, Winchester Rangers. That will supposedly sink you in court because Winchester's Talons are extra mean, but it's never actually happened.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No I wouldn't, don't know of any, same as I don't know of any times anyone used a rifle in the trunk to defend anyone either.  If I lived in Cali I might worry about the legalities, but I'm in Free AZ, so I don't worry much. I heard of the Winchester BS, never saw anyone get nailed for it, but I made a ton of money selling my boxed Black talons to people who wanted them for the "ooooh" factor.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 7:36:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would love to see the actual number of civilians who were able to retrieve rifles from the car trunk and use it to stop an active shooter - don't get me wrong, I'll bet it has happened at least once, but not all that many times.
Primary worry about a trunk gun - stolen. It doesn't matter how much money you have in it, if it's stolen you will be very upset, AND someone out there has your rifle to do nefarious things with. They didn't steal it to go hunting! But the FIRST thing they go for in a car robbery is the trunk - watch bait Car? What's the first thing they do, but try to pop the trunk. Say goodnight to it, Gracie.
Area - where are you going that would make this useful? Rural area with long flat plains/small towns, full size rifle of any flavor, bolt, lever, semi, whatever floats your goat. Urban, short range? Scorpion EVO might be a great choice, even just as a pistol. Mine has the Thorden's Cheek Rest kit on it, works like a charm. Hides Ok in a UTG Covert Carry Bag. Sidearm is 26 inches long, gets an extra 100-150FPS for the extra barrel length over pistol barrel, chronoe'd by me.

<a href="http://s16.photobucket.com/user/armoredman/media/CZ%20Scorpion/New%20sling%20setup%201_zpspyzqtmoj.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/CZ%20Scorpion/New%20sling%20setup%201_zpspyzqtmoj.jpg</a>

The advantage to the gun in a non-descript case might also be carry out/in with people assuming it's a work related bag. Might even put "Johnsonville Crapper Cleaner - We're Number 1 in the Number 2 Game!" on the side...add some artistic brown stains, people might not want to look inside. Just a random thought.

The trunk gun certainly doesn't have to be semi auto, depending on what you envision your scenario to be, barring the Zombie thing or space alien invasion. If I had been in the counter sniper role in Dallas, this would have made me happier than a sidearm, accurate, reliable and hitting with a decent cartridge. Also if seen in public by other during non stressful situations, might just have you labeled as a hunter.

<a href="http://s16.photobucket.com/user/armoredman/media/527/527%20with%2010%20round%20mag_zpspcddn92d.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/527/527%20with%2010%20round%20mag_zpspcddn92d.jpg</a>

But then again, I'm not a tactical Tommy, I don't have a million gee gaws hanging off my rifles, either. This below is a "tactical" as I get.

<a href="http://s16.photobucket.com/user/armoredman/media/CZ%20BREN%20805/BREN%20online%206%203%2016%204_zpsfrtkgo53.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/CZ%20BREN%20805/BREN%20online%206%203%2016%204_zpsfrtkgo53.jpg</a>

I'd certainly feel comfortable carrying this around as my trunk gun...but the chance is far higher that it would be stolen way before I ever got to use it, and I would be minus a very expensive and hard to replace firearm, out on the street to be used for whatever crime or sold for drugs. Might be better to go get a beat up Bubba'd Mauser...still wouldn't want it stolen, but the chance would be very high it would go to a pawn shop for $20, if they even took it. BTW, this one works quite well, despite having a 100 year old receiver and 70 year old barrel. ;)

<a href="http://s16.photobucket.com/user/armoredman/media/527/1916%20Mauser/1916%20Spanish%20Mauser_zps9zns1aru.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/527/1916%20Mauser/1916%20Spanish%20Mauser_zps9zns1aru.jpg</a>

View Quote

What is wrong with the mag on te 527 in the middle picture?  That a bubba'ed/hack job mag or just not knserted all the way?
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 9:16:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually it's a gunsmith built 10 round mag, and works perfectly. Doesn't look the greatest, that's for certain, but we were both looking for function, not beauty. He's working on a complete purpose built 20 rounder, but the thinness of the steel required at the top is apparently an issue. I am not a gunsmith nor do I play one on TV but I trust this guy - he also built the stock on that rifle with the spare mag holder in the butt. :)
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 10:51:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Actually it's a gunsmith built 10 round mag, and works perfectly. Doesn't look the greatest, that's for certain, but we were both looking for function, not beauty. He's working on a complete purpose built 20 rounder, but the thinness of the steel required at the top is apparently an issue. I am not a gunsmith nor do I play one on TV but I trust this guy - he also built the stock on that rifle with the spare mag holder in the butt. :)
View Quote

That's pretty darn cool.  I thought it looked off.  Was this a one off or does he do these for others?  I'd love to have one for my 527.  7.62x39?
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 10:58:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No I wouldn't, don't know of any, same as I don't know of any times anyone used a rifle in the trunk to defend anyone either.  If I lived in Cali I might worry about the legalities, but I'm in Free AZ, so I don't worry much. I heard of the Winchester BS, never saw anyone get nailed for it, but I made a ton of money selling my boxed Black talons to people who wanted them for the "ooooh" factor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you look around the internet you will find stories of people who retrieved rifles from the trunk or from the interior of their vehicle to put down shooters or for instance someone sawing the head off a co-worker and going on a stabbing spree when the Chief Operating Officer of the factory ran to his vehicle, grab his rifle and smoked the murder before cops could arrive.

If you think the news will air stories like the above on a national level, it's time to wake up. The news covers up stories that doesn't fit their agenda.

I would rather have a rifle I train with, am familiar with, confidant with, and can put many accurate bullets down range with if needed than say "Na, won't happen to me, or " Na, someone might steal it, or "Na, someone might sue me if someone steals it and commits a crime with it".
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 8:35:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I know a guy that was at the UT Tower shooting and he said that many people were getting rifles from their trucks to shoot at Charles Whitman.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 8:49:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I know a guy that was at the UT Tower shooting and he said that many people were getting rifles from their trucks to shoot at Charles Whitman.
View Quote

That's what I thought of first.  I remember reading somewhere that the patrol officers on scene were requesting hunting rifles from the students living in the dorms across the street, as they had no long guns.

Link Posted: 8/1/2016 11:59:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's what I thought of first.  I remember reading somewhere that the patrol officers on scene were requesting hunting rifles from the students living in the dorms across the street, as they had no long guns.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is true
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 2:44:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If you look around the internet you will find stories of people who retrieved rifles from the trunk or from the interior of their vehicle to put down shooters or for instance someone sawing the head off a co-worker and going on a stabbing spree when the Chief Operating Officer of the factory ran to his vehicle, grab his rifle and smoked the murder before cops could arrive.

If you think the news will air stories like the above on a national level, it's time to wake up. The news covers up stories that doesn't fit their agenda.

I would rather have a rifle I train with, am familiar with, confidant with, and can put many accurate bullets down range with if needed than say "Na, won't happen to me, or " Na, someone might steal it, or "Na, someone might sue me if someone steals it and commits a crime with it".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then I will repeat what I said before you decided to attack - GO FOR IT! By all means, go for it, have fun, hope you never have to use it, and do remember that many people will have to look up the Texas shooting since it happened before 80% of the members here were born. But, as I said over and over again...go for it. I do on an occaisional basis, especially since my employer doesn't allow firearms on the grounds at all, but any trips I take a rifle/long arm of some kind goes with me.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That's pretty darn cool.  I thought it looked off.  Was this a one off or does he do these for others?  I'd love to have one for my 527.  7.62x39?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of, sorry, especially while we wade through the new ITAR interpretations.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 3:59:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sub 2K if you can find one.

Evo is nicer but, the sub2k will be compact without having to SBR
View Quote

Just curious how a Sub 2k holds out at higher round count levels?  How reliable are they after 1000 rounds?  2000 rounds?  What parts would i need to keep on hand?
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 5:27:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Just curious how a Sub 2k holds out at higher round count levels?  How reliable are they after 1000 rounds?  2000 rounds?  What parts would i need to keep on hand?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Kel-tec said their guns had a life span of about 3k-5k. They weren't built to be high number shooters.

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 1:58:55 PM EDT
[#16]
If we go all BLM in my hood then I will be working which means a 16" middy with aimpoint  but if not, then this is ..My GoTo gun...riding in my POV to evacuate my kids from wherever they are...

However, in reality, if I get caught out then it will probably be just my G27 with 10 rounds...better than nothing...
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 10:34:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I absolutely despise the idea of a unsecured gun left in a car and i really hope people who leave a gun in the car have a robust secondary locking device aside from just locking the car doors. But all that aside I would do a 300blk 8in-10in barrel sbr/pistol. Surpressed if you can!
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 10:37:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I built this AR out of spare parts and $375, the whole purpose of the build was a cheap gun that I could keep in my car.

<a href="http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/TATBME/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps0kqsyvb8.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y393/TATBME/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps0kqsyvb8.jpeg</a>
View Quote

Nice! About 2yrs ago i built one in 9mos off the EE for $250 total! Mixed parts, nothing high end, but mostly new takeoffs. Dpms,aero,psa. But it went bang! Traded it at a 550 value if i recall right.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 11:07:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
That's a lot of scope for an SBR.  Do you plan on installing a red-dot site in an offset mount or offset irons?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I use a trunk SBR.  Pistol rounds are poor man stoppers.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=86278

That's a lot of scope for an SBR.  Do you plan on installing a red-dot site in an offset mount or offset irons?
It's kind of a mini SPR. Larue barrel and MBT trigger.  Optic is 2-10x and useable at 2x with the bindon aiming concept.  I've got a lot of experience at 3x with ACOG's.  I'm not going to say it's the fastest, but it will get the job done. It can double for impromptu hog hunting

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:05:00 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 6:51:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a sub2k 9mm.  I bought it used and put atleast 2k rounds through it before it started stovepiping.   I sent it to keltec they fixed it,  I think they said extractor, ejector and recoil spring.  

I shot about 1k rounds through it.  

When the malfs started it was gradual,  maybe one or two per session, then it nosedived and I would have a dozen per 33rd Mag.  Got real good at clearing jams.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top