Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2016 10:18:37 PM EDT
Just a few things I took notice of at my informal shooting yesterday:

Magpul 10 round AR mag worked perfectly.  Shot about 60 rounds through it.  
New 10/22 bx 25 mag had 1 double feed, that I know of, otherwise he shot somewhere around 250 rounds and that was the only jam I think.  He used the 10 rounders too some.  But mostly the 25er
My Chopped Carry handle might have shifted zero a bit after taking off and putting back on.  That kind of surprised me.  I wasn't completely sure if it was me or the ammo, but I was shooting more to the right with it.  
The regular carry handle seemed to be spot on even though it's barely ever on there.  But I did have it zero'd for that gun and it seemed to hold a perfect zero.
I shot a lot with my Ghost ring and even though the groups aren't usually as tight, it's faster, and I think at HD / my front yard distances I'd be just fine with just using it.  It's much faster despite being harder to focus on the front sight.  When I shoot fast, I'm focusing on the target and it still seems to do it's job.  The regular ap makes everything more clear and does yield a bit tighter groups.  
I freaking love my G26
AR's and Glocks beg to be shot fast, but I should probably slow down some.
Scopes make me want to shoot all rested and bagged up because you can see so much more movement when not at a bench.  And I have to really fight to not jerk the trigger.  
Despite that everyone says AR's have no recoil, I still managed to put a good welt on my collar bone from shooting it sitting down.  I'm probably better off putting a butt pad on my stock.  I know, what a wuss I am.  LOL.  
My daughter is growing up too fast, and that's scary
My son likes to play it safe and wants a target to brag about.  I encouraged him to shoot off of a rest, and he did.  But very little.  
It was all fun though.  

Daughter only shot Colt Huntsman at 10 yards and 34 yards (40 rounds):

Son, shot all at 25 meters, all 10/22:

Me, I shot my AR at 34 yards sitting and standing, my single shot .22 at 34 yards sitting, and my G26 at 10 yards standing and 34 yards standing (drawing and shooting fast, some right handed)

Even though I'm showing you this set up, most of my shooting was done with irons.  I think I shot like 10 rounds with that thing.  I was getting a rough zero for if I shoot it like that at 100 yards or more.  

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 4:31:11 PM EDT
[#1]
These folks don't look like Rangers.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Your AR is screaming for the Blackhawk Down paint job!!!
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 5:55:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
These folks don't look like Rangers.
View Quote

LOL.  I just noticed I did that.  Pretty funny.  I had a feeling I'd take some crap for that.  I'm gonna leave it.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 5:56:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Meh....  It's got a removable carry handle.  Doesn't quite qualify.  Plus if I were to do one like that, it would be nice if it was just Colt grey.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 7:03:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Meh....  It's got a removable carry handle.  Doesn't quite qualify.  Plus if I were to do one like that, it would be nice if it was just Colt grey.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

plus he's already encouraging other people to do black hawk down paint jobs without having to do them himself

Looks like a fun day JJ
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 7:48:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 8:36:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

plus he's already encouraging other people to do black hawk down paint jobs without having to do them himself

Looks like a fun day JJ
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like a fun day JJ

Yeah, but I never told you to paint the metal on yours.  It looks too good the way it was. My problem is if I paint anything, I always want to do OD or brown, or add black and make it a woodland scheme.  When you grow up in the 80's..........  You see my pathetic attempt at that with the carry handle scope.  

Here, just to prove I shot standing and with irons......

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 9:04:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Far more pics of non-ARs than of ARs.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 9:50:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:23:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Good job dad!
View Quote

Thank you Sir!
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:28:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Far more pics of non-ARs than of ARs.
View Quote

You're right.  Sorry about that.  It was really the gun I was focused on but the pics didn't show it.  I even shot two clean targets at the end to compare the big ap to the small ap.  But then when I reloaded I shot at the wrong target with the big ap and it screwed up my results.   Ooooops.  Otherwise I would've reported what happened.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 11:10:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks like a good time.. Well done Dad...
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Why thank you Harv

The magpul 10 rounder.  Boy they look dumb, but I thought it was a good idea to have one.  

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 11:17:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Winter is over, you and those kids need some vitamin D. Get some sun!  Florida is calling!
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 7:47:44 AM EDT
[#16]
(Edited because I can't read)
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 12:59:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Winter is over, you and those kids need some vitamin D. Get some sun!  Florida is calling!
View Quote

I know, we're all very white.    I had the camera on Auto so the kids could use it and it doesn't QUITE get the true colors that way.  But you're right, we need sun.  My son got a little burnt that day but he turns back to white again.  He's got that Irish skin.  My Daughter and I will tan if we're in it enough though.  I need more.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:09:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Kids are great at burning up the ammo supply once they find something they like. Mine started coveting my guns a bit too much so he got his own to use.

It's good you shoot your carry gun well and enjoy doing so. Most I've seen do quite terribly with the gun(s) they're most likely to have in a defensive situation.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 1:38:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Kids are great at burning up the ammo supply once they find something they like. Mine started coveting my guns a bit too much so he got his own to use.

It's good you shoot your carry gun well and enjoy doing so. Most I've seen do quite terribly with the gun(s) they're most likely to have in a defensive situation.
View Quote

I've got a lot more work to do on accuracy with my carry gun.  I just can't believe how fast they can be shot with some degree of accuracy.  I need to start working on drawing and firing drills.  Making sure I'm accurate.  Failure to stop drills.  Not just blasting away.  I usually don't just blast away.  But I did that day.  Well I shot slow when I was shooting from 34 yards.  But at 10 yards I was pulling the trigger as fast as I could get something that resembled a sight picture, almost. One handed too.  

I think your targets look like you usually do failure to stop drills, eh?  

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:11:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I've got a lot more work to do on accuracy with my carry gun.  I just can't believe how fast they can be shot with some degree of accuracy.  I need to start working on drawing and firing drills.  Making sure I'm accurate.  Failure to stop drills.  Not just blasting away.  I usually don't just blast away.  But I did that day.  Well I shot slow when I was shooting from 34 yards.  But at 10 yards I was pulling the trigger as fast as I could get something that resembled a sight picture, almost. One handed too.  

http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o475/NomadABPos/2016%20guns/IMG_5892_zpslfvx3m2m.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o475/NomadABPos/2016%20guns/IMG_5892_zpslfvx3m2m.jpg

I'll usually start with slow fire then get into shooting fast.

Failure to stop drills is where it's at...unless I can find a range with moving targets. I'd like to shoot some steel, too.

It's usually easy to tell which shots I rush as they tend to hit low. A fist sized hole at 5-7 yards is good enough.  Every now and then I'll do some 25 yard shooting, but the results are usually 2-5" depending on the gun.

As I often state, I love my snubs for small guns. Sure there's other choices, but I'm very confident of hitting where I'm aiming with them.

I've tried "the test" drill a few times, but unless you have a shot timer a shooting partner is needed.
http://www.ammoland.com/2016/01/larry-vickers-the-test-gun-training-drill/#axzz496dkz8Yq

It's fun and relatively challenging, though it can be a little tough to find the official target. It's interesting how the time component as well as a competing observer can make it just a little more of a challenge.

I'll usually shoot as much as I can afford...I've just gotta stop buying shit.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:28:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Good deal, enjoy shooting with your children. Mine are so busy these days we rarely get to go.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 12:32:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Another thing we do to enjoy more range time is adult airgun shooting.
20141103_115519 (1) by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
20140905_000022_LLS by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
20140313_171905 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

It's not quite as exciting, but it's fun and we can do it any day. Within practical ranges they are quite accurate and powerful enough to swing some steel and bust stuff up.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 1:04:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Good deal, enjoy shooting with your children. Mine are so busy these days we rarely get to go.
View Quote

Ugh.   Hopefully again sometime you'll get to go with them.  There are times I wish I could go by myself though.  I've been taking them every trip.  Which is good.  But I do have a lot more to worry about.  Making sure of what they're doing.  But that's just part of helping them learn I guess.  And I love it that they want to shoot.

Rick A, thanks for the tips.  I'm going to try "The Test".  Do you know how big the black bull is on a B-8 target?  I've got a lot of bullseye targets.  But just two kinds.  I think 100 yard "small bore" NRA targets which I think is a 12" black circle and I have 25 yard NRA pistol bullseye target.  I think the black is either 4" or 5".

I had an airgun rifle that was very accurate.  Well I still have it.   I killed a few chipmunks with it.  The last one I killed was on the run and my eyes popped out of my head about how good that thing shot.  But the stinking gaskets have gone bad and it won't hold air any more.  I should get it fixed.  That's a very cool set up.  My range does .22 silhouette shooting and I've been wanting to do that forever.  I did it once a long time ago with a pistol and it was so much fun.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 4:57:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Most of my airguns have been around a long while. A few of the budget guns need rebuilding.

The B-8 target is 6" as far as I can tell. Birchwood Casey makes a shoot-n-c version.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:58:09 PM EDT
[#25]
OK, 10 shots in 10 seconds into 6" from a low ready.  From 10 yards.  I can't tell you I don't think I can do that.  But I'll see.  

I think that would be a good drill for carbines too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top