BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 6:04:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do that, but because if there's a fire, I don't want them going off and sending a bullet somewhere.  Anything I am not actually carrying has a clear chamber or hammer on an empty chamber.  

The revolver will fire with one pull of the trigger if I need it to.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My mother bought a s&w .38 from carters cuntry and the idiot told her to keep the hammer on an empty
I do that, but because if there's a fire, I don't want them going off and sending a bullet somewhere.  Anything I am not actually carrying has a clear chamber or hammer on an empty chamber.  

Huh? Why would you carry an empty one in the first cylinder. The first colts  had  an issue with firing the first round,when the revolver was dropped., but this was over 100 years ago...What are you trying to prevent that is worth losing one out of 6 shots.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:58:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Huh? Why would you carry an empty one in the first cylinder. The first colts  had  an issue with firing the first round,when the revolver was dropped., but this was over 100 years ago...What are you trying to prevent that is worth losing one out of 6 shots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My mother bought a s&w .38 from carters cuntry and the idiot told her to keep the hammer on an empty

He literally explained why in the the part that you quoted.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 4:35:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
All you have to do to make an AR full auto is file down the firing pin.
View Quote

I heard it was the sear.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:16:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If there's a fire, those rounds are coming out, anyway.

Not a scenario worth worrying over, at any rate.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:15:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not saying I agree with him. Just pointing out that his reason was already given.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:44:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Using handloads in self defense will damn you to a murder conviction.

You have to have a "class 3 license" to own a suppressor.

Out of the few people I've told about or showed my suppressor, most of them say "how hard was it to get your class 3 license?". Where do they get this shit?
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 2:48:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Using handloads in self defense will damn you to a murder conviction.

You have to have a "class 3 license" to own a suppressor.

Out of the few people I've told about or showed my suppressor, most of them say "how hard was it to get your class 3 license?". Where do they get this shit?
View Quote

I had a guy demand to see my "form 4" for my SBR.  Told him I didn't have a "Form 4" for it and he nigh near had an aneurysm telling me how illegal my SBR was unless it was registered on a "Form 4."  I would have happily showed him my Form 1, but he was an expert in the "National Full-Auto Weapons Act", so I didn't think it was worth my time to say otherwise...
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:12:53 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:, but he was an expert in the "National Full-Auto Weapons Act", so I didn't think it was worth my time to say otherwise...
View Quote
LOL!

There's more derp regarding the NFA than any other firearms related topic. And that's saying a lot.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:11:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Not saying I agree with him. Just pointing out that his reason was already given.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know rounds in a revolver might cook off in a fire, same as any other rounds.  They shouldn't do much, certainly not hit bystanders or firefighters outside the building. The frame of the revolver should contain most of it, just like the grip and magazine would for a semiauto.  If the gun is hot enough for rounds to cook off, it's destroyed anyway. I don't care if it kabooms at that point.  But, I don't want my stuff SHOOTING the guys that show up to save that stuff.

Semi's might even fire more than once if the one in the chamber cooks off first, loading another behind it.

A round behind the barrel (revolver) and a round in the chamber (on a semi-auto) might cause a problem, anywhere else and they likely won't.

The point is, not to have one in the barrel and chamber, something designed to, and likely to send a bullet somewhere not intended at a velocity that could do harm.

Here's a video that explains what happens in a fire. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c (Hint: not much)

I was simply explaining, the cool part about a revolver is I can put an empty chamber behind the barrel keeping it from being dangerous during cook-off AND still pull the trigger and fire it.  Have I seen what will happen with a loaded revolver or semi cooking off? No. Is it a simple safety thing I can do that doesn't compromise much but might prevent harm and lawsuits?  You bet.

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:35:48 AM EDT
[#10]
If you buy any class three weapon the ATF will come to your house at any time kill your dogs, search your house and take all your weapons.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 12:47:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:But, I don't want my stuff SHOOTING the guys that show up to save that stuff.

View Quote

Some people worry about some really asinine stuff.

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 1:08:56 PM EDT
[#12]
A friend of mine bought A Barrett .50, 107 I think, mag fed semi,  Anyhow he said he liked it because the big case made it shoot flat as a laser to a mile.

It came with a leupold 4-14, something like that.

So I was telling him no not exactly correct and I printed him off a few range cards from sierra infinity with different zeros, 100,300 and 500 so he could see on paper what I was saying.

He told me the software was wrong or not the right load as his.
I gave up. When all your shooting is boulders as big as buicks as guess it didn't matter anyhow.

But I did have a chance to buy the gun for half what he paid and still might be able to.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 1:54:40 PM EDT
[#13]
That an AK was designed to fire 5.56 in a pinch.  

That AK's are terribly inaccurate  

That AK's never jam  

Not sure why I've heard so many AK myths.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:54:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I know rounds in a revolver might cook off in a fire, same as any other rounds.  They shouldn't do much, certainly not hit bystanders or firefighters outside the building. The frame of the revolver should contain most of it, just like the grip and magazine would for a semiauto.  If the gun is hot enough for rounds to cook off, it's destroyed anyway. I don't care if it kabooms at that point.  But, I don't want my stuff SHOOTING the guys that show up to save that stuff.

Semi's might even fire more than once if the one in the chamber cooks off first, loading another behind it.

A round behind the barrel (revolver) and a round in the chamber (on a semi-auto) might cause a problem, anywhere else and they likely won't.

The point is, not to have one in the barrel and chamber, something designed to, and likely to send a bullet somewhere not intended at a velocity that could do harm.

Here's a video that explains what happens in a fire. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c (Hint: not much)

I was simply explaining, the cool part about a revolver is I can put an empty chamber behind the barrel keeping it from being dangerous during cook-off AND still pull the trigger and fire it.  Have I seen what will happen with a loaded revolver or semi cooking off? No. Is it a simple safety thing I can do that doesn't compromise much but might prevent harm and lawsuits?  You bet.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another one for the list
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 6:28:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 9:35:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Slide Bite!  Have been shooting almost 40yrs, I don't even KNOW anybody that encountered this fictitious problem!
Carry a revolver, with hammer on empty chamber!  Who's the Fuck'n IDIOT who thought this was a good idea?  Does any MORON really carry like this!
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 9:45:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Slide Bite!  Have been shooting almost 40yrs, I don't even KNOW anybody that encountered this fictitious problem!
Carry a revolver, with hammer on empty chamber!  Who's the Fuck'n IDIOT who thought this was a good idea?  Does any MORON really carry like this!
View Quote
Except that is not a myth: Google Image search
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 9:48:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I've had slide bite with a Glock 19 once. Granted it's not a common occurrence. Also, the carrying with the hammer on an empty chamber was pretty much standard fare in the single action days. So it's not too crazy to believe that it has carried over today.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 9:53:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I got slide bite the first time I shot my G19
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 9:55:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yeah, I've had slide bite with a Glock 19 once. Granted it's not a common occurrence. Also, the carrying with the hammer on an empty chamber was pretty much standard fare in the single action days. So it's not too crazy to believe that it has carried over today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The G20 has done it to me twice. Had to install the beavertail which makes the grip worse but no more slide bite. I just wish Grip Force would actually make one that fits the G20 gen4 to solve this problem for me
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 9:56:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
http://www.gripforceproducts.com/

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 10:16:03 PM EDT
[#22]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.gripforceproducts.com/

Dick

In my defense it was one of the first semi auto handguns I had ever shot.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 10:38:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I wrote this up before as a compendium of things people say about accuracy and what I figured out they actually mean:

100 yards: 100 feet

shoots X MOA: once shot X MOA (not counting the fliers)

shoots X MOA all day long: I stop shooting if I get a group larger than X MOA

MOA: inches at 50 yards

flier: any shot that would make my group too large

group: a) the three best shots on the paper b) three shots from a warm barrel

three-shot group: five shots, two of which are fliers

X MOA group: two of the holes were X inches apart

...when using good ammo: ...when using the ammo I had that one time I got a good group

minute of bad guy: inaccurate

combat-accurate: inaccurate

good enough to get the job done: inaccurate

pretty good for a $90/60-year-old/mistreated gun: inaccurate

when I do my part: when I get lucky

I can do better: I'm pretty sure I could theoretically do better

until the barrel heats up: until bullets pass down the bore

offhand: off the bench

field positions: off the bench

prone: ...with sandbags

sitting position: sitting at the bench

kneeling: someone took the chair away from the bench

iron sights: those things folded down under the scope
View Quote

Wow, your jimmies are mega-rustled!
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:37:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed I watched my father in law a self proclaimed "former UKSF guy" <- read idiot who is lying. Pick up a glock an promptly take a piece out of his hand with it. He also couldn't work my FAL despite saying he carried an SLR for many years...ok rant over.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 11:30:47 AM EDT
[#25]
If you buy transferable MGs as an individual, ATF can show up at your home at any time and search the premises without a warrant. This moronic little gem kept me from getting into title-2 firearms from about 1996 until 2000.

Revolvers are better for first time shooters/gun owners.

A pump action 12ga is the best home defense weapon; the mere sound of the pump action will send criminals running.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 4:12:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've actually seen this done: once.

It was at out annual night rifle match, shooting steel fairly close (<40 yards). The owner of the 7.62x39 AK rode with a guy that was shooting an AR. In the dark he mistakenly loaded a .223 round in his AK mag.  While shooting the stage he fired the .223 round, which hit the steel (we heard it), and then his AK locked up. He sidelined the rifle until he could get the burst .223 case out of the AK's chamber.

AJ
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:29:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If you buy transferable MGs as an individual, ATF can show up at your home at any time and search the premises without a warrant.
View Quote

and
If you have a suppressor/SBR/SBS the ATF can force a warrantless search of your house whenever they want.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:34:29 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

It was at out annual night rifle match, shooting steel fairly close (<40 yards). The owner of the 7.62x39 AK rode with a guy that was shooting an AR. In the dark he mistakenly loaded a .223 round in his AK mag.  While shooting the stage he fired the .223 round, which hit the steel (we heard it), and then his AK locked up. He sidelined the rifle until he could get the burst .223 case out of the AK's chamber.

AJ
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

AJ

LOL, I used to have an old SAR 1, I paid $200 for, with about 25k rounds of wolf down the barrel from me alone (read: no rifling (wolf was $89 per 1000, I was 18)).  I used to fire .223 out of to make people cringe, it will do it, that doesn't mean it was designed for it.  You can't load up a mag really, but sometimes you can run 2 rounds manually.  It normally just jams up though.

My favorite is anything a cop says about the NFA.  For 1 mossy with a hacksawed barrel in the garage almost had me in cuffs. Cop couldn't wrap his head around an ATF form that said my saw'd oft was legal.

Also, most things people say about 922r.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:42:38 AM EDT
[#29]
My Sister actually believed up until recently that anyone could get a gun through the mail, that I was in a magazine and seen a ad from a distributor or something that I could just pick up the phone and say hey ship me 5 or those AR15s.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:47:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My Sister actually believed up until recently that anyone could get a gun through the mail, that I was in a magazine and seen a ad from a distributor or something that I could just pick up the phone and say hey ship me 5 or those AR15s.
View Quote

Unfortunately there are a LOT of people who believe that nonsense.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:59:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
.45's got "knockdown power"

Open carry is stupid.

Machine guns are illegal

You need a special license for machine guns

Guns are registered.
View Quote

THIS ONE DRIVES ME NUTS.  "That gun is in "my name"..."

Its rampant around here.  I grit my teeth when I hear it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

LOL, I used to have an old SAR 1, I paid $200 for, with about 25k rounds of wolf down the barrel from me alone (read: no rifling (wolf was $89 per 1000, I was 18)).  I used to fire .223 out of to make people cringe, it will do it, that doesn't mean it was designed for it.  You can't load up a mag really, but sometimes you can run 2 rounds manually.  It normally just jams up though.

My favorite is anything a cop says about the NFA.  For 1 mossy with a hacksawed barrel in the garage almost had me in cuffs. Cop couldn't wrap his head around an ATF form that said my saw'd oft was legal.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AJ

I don't own an AK but I was always curious what would happen if you dropped a 5.56 round into the chamber.  Because the 7.62x39's case is obviously wider.  And of course the bullet is wider.  I wasn't sure how the 5.56 round would stay centered enough for the firing pin to make contact.  Plus it just seems like the 5.56 brass would expand to the point of being dangerous.  I'm still skeptical of what you guys are saying, but it's actually the first I've heard that it will actually fire.  That's wild.  Seems dangerous though.  The barrel seems like it would take a beating too.

http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o475/NomadABPos/2016%20guns/IMG_5962_zps5ndmannf.jpg

I highly doubt it was designed that way.  But then again?  Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:44:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I don't own an AK but I was always curious what would happen if you dropped a 5.56 round into the chamber.  Because the 7.62x39's case is obviously wider.  And of course the bullet is wider.  I wasn't sure how the 5.56 round would stay centered enough for the firing pin to make contact.  Plus it just seems like the 5.56 brass would expand to the point of being dangerous.  I'm still skeptical of what you guys are saying, but it's actually the first I've heard that it will actually fire.  That's wild.  Seems dangerous though.  The barrel seems like it would take a beating too.

http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o475/NomadABPos/2016%20guns/IMG_5962_zps5ndmannf.jpg

I highly doubt it was designed that way.  But then again?  Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AJ

It wasn't designed that way that was the point. Can it be done? According to those guys yes it can be. I'm not going to try in mine. So again there was no intention or design for 5.56 to be used in an ak but it seems like it could I guess.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 1:07:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm amazed at how many people believe that the bullets actually go up and then down once they leave the barrel. They can't wrap their heads around the idea that they are looking at a downward angle in relation to the bullet trajectory. Sadly, this is especially prevalent in the Army.

View Quote

I blame Drill Sergeants' with shitty drawing skills. When they are trying to teach a group of privates how the bullet travels in relation to line of sight the drawing always comes out looking like the bullet rises from the muzzle. Couple that with the oftentimes obtuse explanation of how the bullet crosses the line of sight and now you have 180 privates that think the bullet actually rises.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 1:14:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It wasn't designed that way that was the point. Can it be done? According to those guys yes it can be. I'm not going to try in mine. So again there was no intention or design for 5.56 to be used in an ak but it seems like it could I guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AJ

Yeah, that's what I thought.  I was the one who originally put the myth up.    Two of the guys I worked with were in the Army and they both claimed this to be true.  But in all honesty, I didn't think it would actually be able to fire, or that it would be insanely unsafe to.  So I argued it as such.  I guess I may have been wrong about that.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:57:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The bullet DOES rise....because when the sights are level, the barrel is pointing UP. Of course bullets can't defy gravity.

View Quote

so pretty much the bullet goes the direction it is fired......... because it has velocity right.
it had no velocity leaving the barrel, it would fall with gravity.

Looking at it from a very simple point of view.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:17:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I don't own an AK but I was always curious what would happen if you dropped a 5.56 round into the chamber.  Because the 7.62x39's case is obviously wider.  And of course the bullet is wider.  I wasn't sure how the 5.56 round would stay centered enough for the firing pin to make contact. Plus it just seems like the 5.56 brass would expand to the point of being dangerous.  I'm still skeptical of what you guys are saying, but it's actually the first I've heard that it will actually fire.  That's wild.  Seems dangerous though.  The barrel seems like it would take a beating too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AJ

I don't own an AK but I was always curious what would happen if you dropped a 5.56 round into the chamber.  Because the 7.62x39's case is obviously wider.  And of course the bullet is wider.  I wasn't sure how the 5.56 round would stay centered enough for the firing pin to make contact. Plus it just seems like the 5.56 brass would expand to the point of being dangerous.  I'm still skeptical of what you guys are saying, but it's actually the first I've heard that it will actually fire.  That's wild.  Seems dangerous though.  The barrel seems like it would take a beating too.

Oh, that brass expanded to the point that it ruptured all right. The AK was jammed until he got it apart and pulled the popped case out of the chamber.

AJ
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:39:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Umm...well...I have sutured at least one laceration from a slide bite, so...
Yes Virginia, slide bite is real.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 3:09:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
[
it had no velocity leaving the barrel, it would fall with gravity.

View Quote

it falls with velocity as well
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 4:18:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:29:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Rifled slugs spin in the air.

Cutting the tang off an AK ruins it.

Glocks don't have mach grade barrels.

Glocks are cheap and made to be thrown away.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:09:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would agree with all of this.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:10:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Depending on the AK that's definitely true.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:17:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
But dat MIM doe.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:35:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Desert Eagles jam all the time.

CZ97B is the biggest most ginormous gun eva, way too big to ccw.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 2:56:54 AM EDT
[#47]
The M16 family is unreliable.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:11:03 AM EDT
[#48]
"I'd hate to be near this house if it's ever on fire!"

(that the ammunition will blow up/ shoot everywhere)
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:25:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Desert Eagles jam all the time.

CZ97B is the biggest most ginormous gun eva, way too big to ccw.
View Quote

The Desert Eagle does like hotter ammo, which is probably where this gets started. My brother's would choke on cheap Blazer Aluminum .44 all of the time. Hot Federal stuff? No problem.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:38:29 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Taurus 92's are junk...

they are far from it
View Quote
You are correct. Everything else they make is shit.

The PT92 is a damn fine handgun. Especially the older models, the ones before the light rail. The quality was equal to that of Beretta. IMBEL made FALs were just as good too.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top