Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2016 1:29:21 PM EDT
Hey guys, just to start off I have no idea where to post this question so please let me know if this is in the wrong area.

A friend of mine moved to LA about a year ago.  He didn't want to take his AR with him (move was kinda sudden, we were unsure of the laws), so I let him borrow my STI 1911 while I held onto his AR.  Well now I want to ship his AR back to him since it's taking up valuable safe space and I want my 1911 back.  The thing is, I am completely clueless on what a California legal AR is, and what I can find is confusing to me.  What do I need to do to modify this rifle to make it legal for him to posses there?

Specs:

- VLTOR PRAETORIAN rifle.
- 16" carbine barrel
- Flash hider installed
- Sliding stock
- pistol grip
- regular mag release

I'm sure all of these combined make it an evil rifle, so what do I need to do?  I can switch muzzle devices, and I can install a bullet button.  Will that be enough?  Am I completely off the mark here?
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 6:26:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Former California resident here. Is the lower branded as VLTOR?  If it is then the rifle is considered an off-list rifle and it is not banned by name.  If it is a "listed" lower, then the lower receiver has been banned by name and cannot be brought into the state.

To convert an off-list rifle to California compliance you would need to replace the magazine release with a bullet button.  Once it has the bullet button then it is considered a fixed magazine rifle and can have all of the evil features.  You do not need to change the muzzle devicxe with a bullet button.

California has a hard on for bullet button equipped rifles, so I would ship it to him sooner rather than later.

You also cannot ship him any magazines over 10 rounds.

http://www.bulletbutton.com/

The California hometown forum, would probably be able to give you a more detailed answer.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_8/11_California.html
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 11:26:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Appreciate the response.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 3:55:28 PM EDT
[#3]
calguns.net is what you seek, lots of info there. Rifle sounds completely GTG as long as it has a bullet button
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:43:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Watch the current CA legislative session. All the advice may change in the next few days.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:47:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:35:04 AM EDT
[#6]
As far as I am aware, there is no provision that allows you to ship the rifle to him, even though he is the owner.  Since it is crossing state lines, it must go to an FFL.

I know this is going to sound weird, but there is absolutely nothing you need to do, legally speaking, to the rifle.  Send it to the FFL, and let the FFL and your friend worry about making it legal for transfer in that state.  You are not bound or obligated under CA laws.  As long as you have shipped it to an FFL, even if in "evil" configuration, you have done your legal part.

Since it is your friend, the only thing I would do is make sure the FFL can transfer the rifle due to the name on the receiver.  If the brand is banned by name, the FFLs hands will be tied.  In that case, you can sell it for him and send him the money, or your friend can list it on gunbroker or some other means of classifieds, while the FFL holds the rifle,  and when the rifle sells, the FFL can ship it to the buyer.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 5:08:38 PM EDT
[#7]
That is bad info

Do not send the rifle back in its current state. It is an assault weapon and very few dealers can receive it as is. In fact it could be confiscated as is in cali.
Have your friend purchase a bullet button online and mail it to you. Costs like 25$. Takes you 2 minutes to install. Then ship it to his dealer.
He is allowed to ship it to himself but you cannot ship directly to him unless you were a ffl.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As far as I am aware, there is no provision that allows you to ship the rifle to him, even though he is the owner.  Since it is crossing state lines, it must go to an FFL.

I know this is going to sound weird, but there is absolutely nothing you need to do, legally speaking, to the rifle.  Send it to the FFL, and let the FFL and your friend worry about making it legal for transfer in that state.  You are not bound or obligated under CA laws.  As long as you have shipped it to an FFL, even if in "evil" configuration, you have done your legal part.

Since it is your friend, the only thing I would do is make sure the FFL can transfer the rifle due to the name on the receiver.  If the brand is banned by name, the FFLs hands will be tied.  In that case, you can sell it for him and send him the money, or your friend can list it on gunbroker or some other means of classifieds, while the FFL holds the rifle,  and when the rifle sells, the FFL can ship it to the buyer.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#8]
You have no clue what you are talking about.  An FFL is not bound by the restrictions.  They can receive any firearm in any condition.  What they can't do is transfer it that way to the non-FFL holder.

Quoted:
That is bad info

Do not send the rifle back in its current state. It is an assault weapon and very few dealers can receive it as is. In fact it could be confiscated as is in cali.
Have your friend purchase a bullet button online and mail it to you. Costs like 25$. Takes you 2 minutes to install. Then ship it to his dealer.
He is allowed to ship it to himself but you cannot ship directly to him unless you were a ffl.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That is bad info

Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:57:38 AM EDT
[#9]
And you don't understand California laws. I'm not talking about atf regs here. I'm talking about California DOJ rules here An ar15 without a bullet button is considered an assault weapon in California. Very few dealers in California are set up to receive assault weapons. If the ffl doesn't have a dangeorus weapons permit they can't have any assault weapons in their possession period. Shit will get sent straight back to the sender or disposed of.
California is a special place where the state DOJ looks for reasons to shut down any gun dealer they can for whatever reason. They've wiretapped and installed hidden cameras on dealers suspected of possessing assault weapons (not talking about dealing and selling, I'm talking having assault weapon and trying to make it California compliant when already in state).

Op
Just meet your friend on the border anf swap guns. It's like a 3 hour drive for both parties. Have him bring a bullet button and install it before taking it back to cali.

Quoted:
You have no clue what you are talking about.  An FFL is not bound by the restrictions.  They can receive any firearm in any condition.  What they can't do is transfer it that way to the non-FFL holder.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
That is bad info

Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/31/2016 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#10]
You're right about needing the BB before shipping but wrong about meeting at state lines and just swapping.  In order to legally take possession, OP has to receive it via an FFL.  Just ship it with a letter inside saying you sold it (so it won't be subject to sales tax- yes CA charges sales tax on out of state guns UNLESS they're used).  

I grew up in Cali moved to tx in the army and learned about 2A.  When I got back to CA after I left the army I learned quite a bit about how asinine CA's gun laws are.  OP if you have more questions, calguns is a better place for them as you won't get people from North Carolina spreading info that is irrelevant to CA and our idiotic laws.  (Nothin against NC, but you guys and us in CA are on different planets when it comes to gun regulations).  

Btw IF your buddy never became a resident/ still HS his AZ drivers license you can do the swap at the border.  If asked just make sure he remembers to say I just picked this up last week when I went home to see mom.  Cuz you are supposed to register guns coming into the state within 60 days.  (The burden to prove when the gun entered is on the cops/DOJ so don't fuck up and admit to anything!!!  

You gotta be sneaky or really rich to have fun toys in CA

Quoted:
And you don't understand California laws. I'm not talking about atf regs here. I'm talking about California DOJ rules here An ar15 without a bullet button is considered an assault weapon in California. Very few dealers in California are set up to receive assault weapons. If the ffl doesn't have a dangeorus weapons permit they can't have any assault weapons in their possession period. Shit will get sent straight back to the sender or disposed of.
California is a special place where the state DOJ looks for reasons to shut down any gun dealer they can for whatever reason. They've wiretapped and installed hidden cameras on dealers suspected of possessing assault weapons (not talking about dealing and selling, I'm talking having assault weapon and trying to make it California compliant when already in state).

Op
Just meet your friend on the border anf swap guns. It's like a 3 hour drive for both parties. Have him bring a bullet button and install it before taking it back to cali.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Op

Quoted:

Quoted:
That is bad info

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/12/2016 10:54:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm pretty sure the border rendezvous/BB install is fine as it is his firearm he is transporting into the state.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top