Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 32
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 9:47:07 PM EDT
[#1]
In case it hasn't been mentioned, CZ USA is now listing the 805 Bren for 2017 as available in .300 Blackout, both carbine and pistol.

Just an FYI...

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-805-bren-s1-carbine/
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 12:27:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In case it hasn't been mentioned, CZ USA is now listing the 805 Bren for 2017 as available in .300 Blackout, both carbine and pistol.

Just an FYI...

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-805-bren-s1-carbine/
View Quote

How about they do a solid by those who already have one and offer a conversion kit...
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 10:26:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

How about they do a solid by those who already have one and offer a conversion kit...
View Quote
Not knowing a lot about 300 myself, what needs to change other than the barrel?
Does it use the same bolt as 556?
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 11:14:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Sorry, this is the best I can do right now without just grabbing a Google pic.

https://s13.postimg.org/kndz7jcqf/20161115_182215.jpg

So here's a Google pic.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-DiVr0vALWeA/U2AIQ8patEI/AAAAAAAABEg/QRmduoKhluY/w640-h400-p-k/CZ-805%2BBREN.jpg
View Quote

Is that a Magpul G36 mag? I wasn't aware the Bren took G36 mags too.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 12:55:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Not knowing a lot about 300 myself, what needs to change other than the barrel?
Does it use the same bolt as 556?
View Quote

Literally just the barrel.  The gas system would need to be different, but I'd assume they'd just do a barrel assembly.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 1:29:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, the 805 Bren rifle the Czechs issued prior to the Bren 2 used a magazine that was, essentially, a knock off of the G36 magazine. They did this since the G36 uses a well-designed mag, along with making the rifle more attractive to other countries that currently issue the G36, who may be looking for a new rifle.

The Bren 2 uses STANAG mags and Pmags.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 1:41:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yeah, the 805 Bren rifle the Czechs issued prior to the Bren 2 used a magazine that was, essentially, a knock off of the G36 magazine. They did this since the G36 uses a well-designed mag, along with making the rifle more attractive to other countries that currently issue the G36, who may be looking for a new rifle.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would like to clarify one thing in regards to the Magpul G36 mags though and the old mag system...
Whereas they seem to function and feed just fine, and I like the way they insert and extract vs. the Czech mags, occasionally the follower
doesn't catch the bolt hold open lever, so it doesn't lock back when empty. The catch arm is just a wee short with these mags.

Just learned this the other day about them. Something to be aware of...
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 1:57:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would like to clarify one thing in regards to the Magpul G36 mags though and the old mag system...
Whereas they seem to function and feed just fine, and I like the way they insert and extract vs. the Czech mags, occasionally the follower
doesn't catch the bolt hold open lever, so it doesn't lock back when empty. The catch arm is just a wee short with these mags.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know.

I've heard more than a few times that the bolt doesn't always lock back, even with USGI and Pmags, and a lot more people have said that the bolt will close on its own when removing the empty mag.

I'd just stick to windowed mags and wouldn't count on it always locking open.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 2:20:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Good to know.

I've heard more than a few times that the bolt doesn't always lock back, even with USGI and Pmags, and a lot more people have said that the bolt will close on its own when removing the empty mag.

I'd just stick to windowed mags and wouldn't count on it always locking open.
View Quote
Adding to my previous post, here are some pictures...

1) You can see how the follower and bolt hold back lever, just barely miss each other with the Magpul G36 mags...

Attachment Attached File

2) ... but if the follower is tilted slightly back, they catch fine ...

Attachment Attached File

3) ... and you can see how the tab on the back of the follower with the Czech mags is longer.

Link Posted: 12/30/2016 6:24:39 PM EDT
[#10]
OK, since I'm a little determined to make the Magpul G36's work in the "retro" mag well (and just because I like to figure things out), I took a look 
at the STANAG mag well that comes with the gun.

Low and behold, the follower "leg" is longer than on the G36 setup!
The STANAG bolt catch leg is .470 and the G36 one is .365

Attachment Attached File

Interestingly, the STANAG bolt catch fits fine into the "G36" mag well, but not the other way around.
This is because of the shape at the bottom of the bolt catch. The "G36" is longer...

Attachment Attached File

So I put the STANAG bolt catch into the G36 mag well and tried a Magpul G36 mag.
Looking promising!

Attachment Attached File

But then, Shit!

Attachment Attached File

So, I'm thinking if I file that leg down by about .050 it should work flawlessly.

Should. 
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 4:16:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Does anyone know how the barrel is held in place?
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Does anyone know how the barrel is held in place?
View Quote
There are 3 bolts on each side that screw into the barrel blocks. Remove those, and the entire barrel/piston assembly slides right out
the front of the receiver.

ETA: Recommended torque for re-installing barrel is 8 N/m in this sequence:

2               4     6
Muzzle <----
                   1               3     5

(As viewed from the top of the gun.)
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 5:22:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Bren 807 in 7.62 x 39

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 1:46:24 AM EDT
[#14]

Methinks it's dumb as shit to use anything other than steel AK mags for 7.62x39. Granted, redesigning the polymer lower with a magwell that places a rock-in magazine where it needs to be without modifying the upper receiver is a gigantic PITA, but it's still a better solution than going with unproven proprietary magazines. Had to've been done so CZ could sell their own magazines.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 8:28:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Methinks it's dumb as shit to use anything other than steel AK mags for 7.62x39. Granted, redesigning the polymer lower with a magwell that places a rock-in magazine where it needs to be without modifying the upper receiver is a gigantic PITA, but it's still a better solution than going with unproven proprietary magazines. Had to've been done so CZ could sell their own magazines.
View Quote
At the very least, they could make it accept VZ58 mags.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 9:56:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Can an ACOG in a standard TA51/aftermarket QD mount (Larue, ADM, GDI, etc) clear the factory low profile irons, or will I need a spacer/KRAM? Getting closer to the idea of picking up a PS1.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 2:08:49 AM EDT
[#17]
How well does the Bren 805 run suppressed? I know the Scar16 has a suppressed setting... Bren have one too?
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 3:15:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How well does the Bren 805 run suppressed? I know the Scar16 has a suppressed setting... Bren have one too?
View Quote

No suppressor setting, it's pretty gassy. A new piston will solve all of this, if anyone is listening.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:18:47 PM EDT
[#19]
A picture of my Bren. I think this is how I will leave it for now. Quite happy with it.  

(Click to enlarge)

Specs:

14" SBR
CZ Bayonet
CZ Side Rails
CZ Skeleton stock
Original "G3" Mag Well
Patriot Brown Cerakote
Faux Select Fire Markings
Czech Issue Sling in vz.95 Camo
Steiner M332

I'll try and take better pictures in the daylight.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:25:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
A picture of my Bren. I think this is how I will leave it for now. Quite happy with it.  

https://s23.postimg.org/ehstyde2j/20170125_182042.jpg
(Click to enlarge)

Specs:

14" SBR
CZ Bayonet
CZ Side Rails
CZ Skeleton stock
Original "G3" Mag Well
Patriot Brown Cerakote
Steiner M332

View Quote

Definitely digging the bayonet. Very cool.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 10:30:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

(Click to enlarge)

Specs:

14" SBR
CZ Bayonet
CZ Side Rails
CZ Skeleton stock
Original "G3" Mag Well
Patriot Brown Cerakote
Steiner M332

View Quote

You are the 805 whisperer. That's a hell of a build.

Did you make any progress on that mag catch modification you had looked at for the Magpul G36 mags?
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 12:11:15 AM EDT
[#22]
tifosi how do you like the Steiner M332?
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 1:43:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

(Click to enlarge)

Specs:

14" SBR
CZ Bayonet
CZ Side Rails
CZ Skeleton stock
Original "G3" Mag Well
Patriot Brown Cerakote
Steiner M332

View Quote

Very nice, I like how you went back to its roots .
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 12:06:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
How do you do the faux selector markings? Light touch with a drill bit?
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 3:54:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

No suppressor setting, it's pretty gassy. A new piston will solve all of this, if anyone is listening.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

New piston? Wouldn't a new gas regulator solve the issue without changing any other core components?
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA: Double tap. Damn site gave me the "ARFcom server is down." message.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 3:59:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Did you make any progress on that mag catch modification you had looked at for the Magpul G36 mags?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I guess I should have followed up with that, huh? 
I ended up filing off about .060 from the longer bolt catch to the point I was comfortable that it would work with either
the Czech mags or the Magpul ones. However, now I need to order a replacement bolt catch for the STANAG mag well that came on the gun.

Quoted:
tifosi how do you like the Steiner M332?

I got it while my receiver was out for Cerakote and just mounted it before taking that pic, so I haven't even sighted it in yet.
Initial impressions though: Built like a tank, great glass, illumination settings work great. I'd say the reticle is much smaller than I was expecting,
then again, not sure what I was expecting, still works just fine and I guess it has to be that size to act as a BDC reticle in 3x.
The front cap is useless and just falls off. I'm going to look into some sort of adhesive to hold it in place. Overall though, seems like a great scope.

Quoted:
How do you do the faux selector markings? Light touch with a drill bit?

A little more than that ... I drew out the pattern in CAD and then cut it out of vinyl using my wifes Cameo Silhouette machine, so I would have a template.
Then used a small bench top milling machine to cut the depressions with a 9/64" end mill to a depth of .020 (You could use a drill press I suppose, as long as you have a
way to precisely control the depth...)
Clean up the edges by hand and then fill with Testors Enamel "Sunburst" (#2758) which is the closest color I could find to the original marking. (Still filled in that one too so they
all would match 100%)

If anyone is interested, I can post the CAD file or the Silhouette file if you have one of those contraptions, or know somebody that does.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 4:26:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

(Click to enlarge)

Specs:

14" SBR
CZ Bayonet
CZ Side Rails
CZ Skeleton stock
Original "G3" Mag Well
Patriot Brown Cerakote
Steiner M332

View Quote

Pretty slick. Looks just like the real deal the LGS has. Who did you use for the barrel chop? Still runs good I assume?
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 12:04:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Pretty slick. Looks just like the real deal the LGS has. Who did you use for the barrel chop? Still runs good I assume?
View Quote

ADCO for the barrel.
(And when I say 14", that is 14" overall length, from breech to muzzle. Not measured from the bolt face which is how we measure barrels in the US for legal reasons.
That was the measurement that seamed to work right for mounting the bayonet. I think the declared length on the form 1 is 13.625 or something like that. )
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:38:24 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a Bren on order and was curious to those who have done the euro magwell, how diffficult was it and how difficult is it to swap? Also are FDE ones available? I've been looking around trying to find an install video on the magwell and haven't found anything
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:50:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Soooo...is the 805 Carbine 922r compliant as it ships, out of the box?  I can't figure it out from the CZ site.  After seeing the ACR stock on the Bren I'm really starting to think the 805 might be my next rifle purchase. If the 922r stuff is covered.  As an HK fan with a USC I'm officially sick of messing around with 922r.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:57:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Soooo...is the 805 Carbine 922r compliant as it ships, out of the box?  I can't figure it out from the CZ site.  After seeing the ACR stock on the Bren I'm really starting to think the 805 might be my next rifle purchase. If the 922r stuff is covered.  As an HK fan with a USC I'm officially sick of messing around with 922r.
View Quote

The carbine is GTG out the box.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:57:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Thanks!  The Bren just moved to the top of my list.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 3:47:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have a Bren on order and was curious to those who have done the euro magwell, how diffficult was it and how difficult is it to swap? Also are FDE ones available? I've been looking around trying to find an install video on the magwell and haven't found anything
View Quote

Never saw a FDE one, but not looking either.
Drive out pin, slide magwell out from top of dovetail, insert retro one.   I don't see a need to pin it, held on by the upper when assembled.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Drive out pin, slide magwell out from top of dovetail, insert retro one.   I don't see a need to pin it, held on by the upper when assembled.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Might have to tap the current magwell off, some are a very tight fit.

For casual plinking, pinning is not necessary. If you ever intend on using this rifle for defensive purposes or rough handling, re-pinning it would be the best option, if only for peace of mind.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 7:16:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

The pin may be more to keep idle soldiers from separating the parts and losing them.

AJ
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:17:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

For casual plinking, pinning is not necessary. If you ever intend on using this rifle for defensive purposes or rough handling, re-pinning it would be the best option, if only for peace of mind.
View Quote

For serious use I would stick to the AR magwell.
The front pin that holds the upper and lower together would have to break for it to move though.
Unless you have a mill or drill press to index the location, drilling is just a guess as to pin location on the retro mag well.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:55:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Has anyone sent in their 805 for warranty work?  I send mine in about 3 weeks ago, looked like the barrel was bulged about 1/4" from the gas port.  Wondering how long it would take.  Also will they be able to replace the barrel here or send it to Czech republic or replace the whole pistol?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:08:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Has anyone sent in their 805 for warranty work?  I send mine in about 3 weeks ago, looked like the barrel was bulged about 1/4" from the gas port.  Wondering how long it would take.  Also will they be able to replace the barrel here or send it to Czech republic or replace the whole pistol?
View Quote

Don't have an 805 yet, but I did have to send back my Scorpion for a stripped screw.  They had it turned around in a couple days.

Swapping the barrel is a relatively straightforward operation, so it largely depends on them having spares, which I would assume they do.  It is about the only part they don't sell as a spare though, so I'm just guessing.  Give them a call or email and they should be able to tell you what's going on, they've always been great to deal with when I've needed to talk to them.

Unrelated note, I followed tifosi's advice on the retro magwell and fitting the STANAG bolt stop and had pretty good results.  I think I ended up a little further than 0.060", but it doesn't need much beyond the retro stop arm length to activate on the Magpul mags.  That said, the springs in the Magpul mags are much wimpier than the Czech 805 factory mags, so they have a harder time pushing up on the stop.  I oiled/worked it a bit and it seems to move better, so we'll see how it goes.  Just need to buy the damn 805 now.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:42:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just to add to this, no, the pin is not needed for everyday range use. The whole assembly is quite secure without it.
Having said that, either CZ or the Czech Army wanted it there, so if you plan on going to battle with your Bren ... well, you'll just have to weigh out those benefits for you.
The nice thing about not having the pin installed is that you can swap between mag wells in < 60 seconds.

If you do decide to reinstall the pin, it is .119 diameter (3 mm), so use a bit slightly undersized. Like a #32 (15/64)
Also, use a drill press to keep it straight. If you think you can drill it free hand, you can't. 
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow. This post prompts me to ask many questions!

1. Was it like that out of the box or did you notice that after some use?
2. Did you look down the barrel with a light to see if there was a squib round or some other obstruction?
3. Was this forward or behind the gas block?
4. Do you have pictures?

To answer your primary question, CZ-USA can easily change the barrel in house. If they don't have spares, they may take a barrel from an in-stock boxed item, but I don't know that for sure.
ETA: Then again, possibly not as the gas block is also serialized. Just thought of that, so that would have to be considered.
Please update us with the resolution / cause. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:28:10 PM EDT
[#42]
I bought it new and shot around 100rds through it. When cleaning any gun i inspect them to see if anything is broken or unusual wear patterns.  after cleaning the barrel (any barrel) i looks through them into light, and noticed a ring about 1/4" muzzle side of the gas port.  rings like that usually mean its bulged. had no issues when shooting and shot like a champ.  

my ideas about the barrels are that they are Czech made, not US made.  Are they able to import barrels? i don't think they are set up to make US barrels (also wonder where 300blk barrels are made).  would they import a new barrel, swap out serialized gas block? send it to CZUB for replacement or just send a new, different pistol to my FFL as a replacement?

called CZ yesterday and they said they received the pistol on jan 24th but no one has looked at it yet.  

curious to see what happens.  wont be happy if they say its nothing, because there shouldn't be a dark ring in any barrel.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:44:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Just got word my Bren shipped. Getting rather excited.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:37:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Just got word my Bren shipped. Getting rather excited.
View Quote

300BLK?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:59:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Nah just 5.56

If I reloaded and had a can, I would have went with 300
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:22:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Picking up a Bren 805 carbine tomorrow for $1,640 at a local shop, do a lot of business their and he's cutting me a good deal.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:55:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:09:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
So while we're on the subject of the Bren. We have a shop Bren that's slowly coming together.

It's got a few things done to it, but we still need a permanent optic for it, as well as trying to decide if it should be cerakoted, and if so what pattern or color. And to ditch the factory iron sights.

Hoping to have the barrel threaded this coming week, as the adapter feels too long.

Any suggestions you guys may have for our Bren?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/455283/bren1-154520.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/455283/bren2-154521.jpg
View Quote

That looks awesome. But it's missing something...

Maybe a Dead Air Wolverine? That uses 14L threads. If it'll work on AK's from different countries, it ought to work just fine on a Bren. Hell, if the threads are long enough, one could use a jam nut to keep the can from backing off. Seeing as it's over-bored to prevent baffle strikes from 7.62x39, minor alignment issues with 5.56 shouldn't be a problem.

ETA: If you guys have a Wolverine or if you can get your hands on one, would you be willing to try it out on the Bren before having the threads changed?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:20:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:25:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

We have a wolverine in the shop but it's living on an m92 SBR right now.

Unfortunately the threads were done earlier today before I read your reply, sorry about that. I think right now we're going with either a Specwar K orrrrr I'm not sure what. I'm trying to decide if we wanna go with a direct thread short can.

That reminds me. We need some new buis too. The factory CZ are way too low imo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That looks awesome. But it's missing something...

Maybe a Dead Air Wolverine? That uses 14L threads. If it'll work on AK's from different countries, it ought to work just fine on a Bren. Hell, if the threads are long enough, one could use a jam nut to keep the can from backing off. Seeing as it's over-bored to prevent baffle strikes from 7.62x39, minor alignment issues with 5.56 shouldn't be a problem.

ETA: If you guys have a Wolverine or if you can get your hands on one, would you be willing to try it out on the Bren before having the threads changed?

We have a wolverine in the shop but it's living on an m92 SBR right now.

Unfortunately the threads were done earlier today before I read your reply, sorry about that. I think right now we're going with either a Specwar K orrrrr I'm not sure what. I'm trying to decide if we wanna go with a direct thread short can.

That reminds me. We need some new buis too. The factory CZ are way too low imo.

It's alright, I should've gotten on ARFcom earlier. Will ask Tim over on the Military Arms Channel, though I don't know if his Bren pistol has the 14mm threads.

I like the low-set CZ sights, but I only shot the Bren with the original non-collapsible folding stock, and the pistol version with a brace and T1 on it.

Personally, I like the Griffin M4SD2 and Sig SRD556, myself. Been looking at the SRD since it can be pinned onto a short barrel, so if the HPA passes, it'd make for a really sweet zero-stamp SBR setup. I loved the Griffin I got to play with, it was sweet as hell, but I'm used to the KAC NT4, so take that with a grain of salt.
Page / 32
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top