Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2016 9:46:04 PM EDT
I have SBR's, I have regular AR15's but what I am looking for is something easy to transport and deploy and NON NFA.

Looking at the stuff out there I am pretty much stuck with a side folding rifle such as the;

ARX100
ACR
SCAR
MCX

or bullpups like;

AUG (NATO?)
TAVOR (SAR or X95)

Or foldup like the KELTEC.

I am not against the AK side folders in fact I want to get a AK47 eventually just because merica! However I am trying to stick to what I know to minimize expense with magazines and other gear.

I don't really care about ambidextrous controls or if its the latest and greatest mil spec thing since sliced bread. I don't need it to be vapor wear(meaning it has to be in production), I need it to work(minimal breaks or issues out of the box), I need it to take standard AR magazines, mount a red dot, BUIS, sling and light. Price is kinda a factor.

Am I missing any rifle I should be looking at?

Possible scenarios include traveling in gun friendly states and maintaining a low profile overall for just transport purposes. Also when traveling in a not so friendly environment might require to have a low profile but need immediate deployment of a rifle for "problem solving" from a vehicle or a schmedium duffle type bag.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:20:39 PM EDT
[#1]
AR pistol with a 10.5 inch barrel.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:25:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I love this little thing and it breaks in half at the push of a button.

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:49:06 PM EDT
[#3]
as OverScoped commented... an AR pistol ...with the longer KAK tube to shoulder (unless BATFE has changed their position that they will not designate whether a rifle or pistol as to whether they are shoulder fired or hand held) you get a compact AR that can be put into action quickly... at the time I built my pistol in the picture, the rubber butt cap was also OK... if not, just remove it... unlike the SIG brace, nothing has been repurposed

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 12:43:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I had the SCAR and you can go ahead and throw that out for a compact non-NFA weapon...  Without a stamp its a pig

Now the Tavor on the other hand, I love mine and its just a inch or so longer than my 10.5" LMT SBR

Tavor is what your looking for OP
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 1:14:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

As per usual, FPNI.

Just rip the buttstock off your SBR, slide on a foam sleeve, GTG.

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:08:10 AM EDT
[#6]
727 clone with BCM A2 extended flash hider pinned and welded.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 8:30:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I carry my assembled stock AUG and several magazines around in a tennis racquet bag.  That's what I call short and handy.

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 9:24:09 AM EDT
[#8]
The best short non-NFA weapon you're going to get is a bullpup. You can use pistol ARs, or folding/disassembling setups, but the bullpup will be fully ready to go while having full length barrel ballistics. I say this as an owner of multiple folding/disassembling/SBR/bullpup options. If I were going across state lines tomorrow and needed a compact firearm, I'm grabbing my Tavor.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 9:44:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Look into the California version of the Kel-Tec RFB rifle.

Bullpup they took the pistol grip off, with a low profile sight it's a small rifle and not just not NFA, but Cali-legal too.

I am sure a few mods could be made to remove the bullet button part if you didn't want that.

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 9:55:57 AM EDT
[#10]
CZ 805 BREN
IWI GALIL ACE
SCAR 16 OR 17
IWI X95
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#11]
What about an AK with a side folding stock?

Folded,  my yugo with a full 16" barrel is the same length as my  10.5" AR pistol, but still has a stock that will deploy with a flick.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 1:10:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Folded,  my yugo with a full 16" barrel is the same length as my  10.5" AR pistol, but still has a stock that will deploy with a flick.
View Quote

Ak, pinned 14.5 with manticore side folder

Tavor with pinned 14.5
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 1:49:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

This with the brace and Law Tactical folding stock adapter.  Can only fire one round with adapter folded over but it should meet all the criteria you are after.  Adapter is costly though.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 8:09:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I carry my assembled stock AUG and several magazines around in a tennis racquet bag.  That's what I call short and handy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v717/Guevera/file_zps858f96ef.jpg

View Quote

Very nice! I know little about AUG's other than you need the NATO version for using standard AR magazines.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I considered this but I would like to stick to 5.56 and a standard AR magazine for now. I know there is one with a AR magazine adaptor sold installed and another adaptor you can buy separately.

The AK47 is not ruled out just not my first choice, however it is temping to pick up a cheap one and convert it to a side folder.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 8:13:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The best short non-NFA weapon you're going to get is a bullpup. You can use pistol ARs, or folding/disassembling setups, but the bullpup will be fully ready to go while having full length barrel ballistics. I say this as an owner of multiple folding/disassembling/SBR/bullpup options. If I were going across state lines tomorrow and needed a compact firearm, I'm grabbing my Tavor.
View Quote

I am starting to think this may be the way to go, I have never used a bullpup but have been following a few threads with interest here concerning them. Cost is a factor so I would probably have to buy used if I went that route.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 8:15:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought the 16 1/2" Tavor and added a Super Sabra trigger pack.  The Tavor is my Travel gun and has taken over that duty from my 16" AR-15.  I still own numerous AR-15's but the Tavor really shines around vehicles and CQB.  The Tavor and Glock pistols make great travel companions.    
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 1:05:45 AM EDT
[#18]
How do you feel about "The Black Ace" ? It's more of a defensive weapon, but cleaverly skirts AOW and SBS NFA tags. Just found out about it moments ago, would be easy to transport, short, light and it's a 12ga pump that's magazine fed...
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 11:35:33 PM EDT
[#19]
While I'm on board with a bullpup like a Tavor or AUG, would an AR using a 14.5" barrel with a permanently attached flash suppressor (to get it to the legal length of 16") be an option? I've done an AR with that barrel setup and paired with a lower using LWRC's UCIW stock assembly, the overall length comes out to be just under 30" with the stock collapsed. I know it's not as short as a bullpup, but I think that gun (using mostly BCM parts like the whole upper and LPK) with optic still was a little cheaper than a Tavor.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 8:10:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
While I'm on board with a bullpup like a Tavor or AUG, would an AR using a 14.5" barrel with a permanently attached flash suppressor (to get it to the legal length of 16") be an option? I've done an AR with that barrel setup and paired with a lower using LWRC's UCIW stock assembly, the overall length comes out to be just under 30" with the stock collapsed. I know it's not as short as a bullpup, but I think that gun (using mostly BCM parts like the whole upper and LPK) with optic still was a little cheaper than a Tavor.
View Quote

This may be an option if I can get it to ~ 26.5 inches OAL since I already have AR's to mess with. What stock assemblies can get me that short without folding like the law adaptor? Would I have to use a modified BCG?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top