Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2016 7:39:53 PM EDT
Once I decide between Saiga and Vepr, I guess the next question to ask is are there different generations/models/brands/countries-of-origin to avoid that have problems?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Rifle or shotgun?  If rifle, what caliber?

All Saigas and Veprs originate from Russia.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:56:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a saiga in 5.45 and a saiga 12; a vepr in 7.62x54r and a vepr 12.

The veprs are the best made AKs I have handled. Saiga is good, vepr is better.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:31:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Saiga is good, vepr is better.
View Quote

Pretty much this from my understanding
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:07:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Saiga is good, vepr is better.

True.
Vepr is heavier, slightly more refined, but most parts tend to be easier to find for Saigas.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 3:38:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Vepr seems to be more heavier dutyer.

I preferred the Saiga 12 over the Vepr 12, though.

What models are you comparing?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:30:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I preferred the Saiga 12 over the Vepr 12, though.
View Quote

As a Saiga 12 owner who desperately wishes he had a VEPR magwell, I'd love to hear your thoughts on why you hold this opinion.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:08:19 PM EDT
[#7]
In regards to the shotguns, I own one Saiga 12 (converted) and two Vepr 12s (fixed stock and folder).
I do like the adjustable gas system on my Saiga 12 (MD Arms V-Plug in mine).  The gas system on the Vepr 12 is not adjustable from the factory (it is WFO 24/7).  The non-adjustable nature of the Vepr's gas system is not an issue in the real world, and I consider the ability to adjust the gas on my Saiga to be a minor advantage with some loads on the very heavy or very light side, but it does bear mentioning.
Other than that minor difference, the Vepr is superior to the Saiga in every way.  Fit, finish, features, and function all favor the Vepr 12.
If you really want a Saiga 12 for whatever reason, look at the 030 version.  It has nearly all of the features and advantages of the Vepr 12 (with some minor differences), and is every bit the equal to the Vepr 12 IMO (the Vepr will still have a better finish and look prettier).  You will pay good money for those feature however.  See the 030 HERE.
I will not sell my Saiga 12, I love to take it hunting, but my Vepr 12s are a big step up from it in nearly every regard IMO.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:12:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Double tap.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:04:08 PM EDT
[#9]
The flow of the Vepr hasn't been impeded like the flow of the Saiga in country. Food for thought.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:03:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The flow of the Vepr hasn't been impeded like the flow of the Saiga in country. Food for thought.
View Quote

Please expound?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:29:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Please expound?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Please expound?

Saigas (Izhmash manufactured) are currently blocked from import by an EO, has to do with the on-going situation in the Ukraine.  No such sanctions have been placed on Veprs (Molot manufactured), they can still be imported into the US.

For whatever reason, Molot didn't get hit by the sanctions, Izhmash did.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top