Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2016 2:28:50 PM EDT
Hello all,

Looking into getting a TC rifle. Looking at either the Encore or the Contender.

From what I've read, the Encore is for more stout cartridges, and the Contender is for the smaller stuff. I'd be okay with either, but having the flexibility of the Encore may be nice down the road.

I have read that the Generation 1 Contenders have the nicest triggers though, so from a "target / benchrest" standpoint, those would probably be best.

As of right now, I only do target shooting (no hunting), so the smaller frame, smaller calibers in the Contender would be fine.

Does anybody have any feedback as to which would be better? Can I put a spring kit into an Encore or Generation 2 Contender to make it shoot just as good?

Thanks!

EDIT: Forgot to add that I want to shoot rimfire as well as center-fire, so the changeable firing pin is a must.

EDIT 2: Looks like the Encore does not have the switchable firing pin. The rimfire barrels all have the bore off-set at the breach to account for that. Looks like the Contender may be a better fit if I want rimfire.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:22:08 AM EDT
[#1]
The Encore is noticeably larger, it is my frame of choice but only because I want the heavier cartridges. In handgun form I use custom stocks to help with the size (I have smallish hands). Sounds like the 'Tender would do everything you are looking for.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:59:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Contender (non-G2) and it does sound like the Contender is what you want. The Encore is noticeably larger and heavier. In my limited experience the triggers on the G2 and Encore aren't bad but the earlier Contenders are much nicer. I'm not sure how much improvement can be made to the newer ones. Also be aware the 16" and longer barrels seem to be harder to find and more expensive than the <16".
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:26:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I've owned all you mentioned, from first gen "hard to open frames" in .22 Hornet, to G2's in .300 Savage and Encores in .280.  I've owned them in 10" barrels all the way to 28" barrels, from .22 LR to .375 Win and .44 Mag.  

Not to be discouraging, but shooting a break action gun isn't the most fun off the bench...especially if you plan on shooting a lot.  Rolling or falling blocks are much more easier off the bench, but break actions require a lot more movement.  Not that its a big problem, just be aware of this.  As far as the trigger jobs, the "easy open" Contender frames are very easy to adjust and make stupid light.  You can swap out the trigger return spring with the spring from a Bic lighter, and get the pull down to borderline unsafe.  I did it on a couple Contender pistols that I played around with on the bench, but would not recommend them for hunting.  

My current Contender is a stainless 14" in 7-30 Waters with a T/C Recoil Proof scope, I'll have to post a couple pics later.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:44:10 AM EDT
[#4]
That Waters is a very nice round. As for the recoil you get used to it; I have multiple barrels from MGM and Bullberry however I do some of my best shooting with a factory 30-06 barrel. I kind of loose track of which scope is on which barrel but I think the 30-06 barrel also wears that TC scope, they really aren't a bad scope at all. I have a couple of XP's and I don't find them to be much different to shoot than an Encore when chambered in similar cartridges. It just comes down to spending enough time with them to get on to them.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:22:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Lots of options for both frames. I've got three Contender frames and a half dozen or so barrels. I don't have anything big enough to really need the larger frame. Maybe some day.

It really depends on what you want to do with the gun. A suppressed SBR makes a handy package.  

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:19:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I picked up an encore a couple years ago.  Its a 45/70 turned into a smokeless muzzleloader.  

I have a scope on it now.  The trigger is pretty good, but could be better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top