Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2016 3:09:13 PM EDT
Got a friend that's been offered a 788 in 22-250 but he prefers 700s.  He may buy it but doesn't know much about them, what's the story on these rifles in this caliber?
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Even though it was their entry level rifle, the one I had was
the most accurate gun I've ever owned.  Made me look like I
could actually shoot.  I thought so much of it that I put on a fore end
cap, pistol grip cap and  a thin recoil pad.  Damn fine gun for $200.
Also made me really love the 22-250.

I think most of the accuracy for that rifle came from it's 6 locking lugs.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 5:19:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to own one with a Weaver scope, it was a tackdriver.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 6:14:40 PM EDT
[#3]
First deer I shot was with a 788 in .243. It was a great firearm.

That 788 is probably better quality than a new production 700.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:11:28 PM EDT
[#4]
From what I am told, the 788's in any caliber were tack drivers.

I recently traded into one chambered in .243 with a 22" barrel. I haven't been able to shoot it yet due to weather.....

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From what I am told, the 788's in any caliber were tack drivers.

I recently traded into one chambered in .243 with a 22" barrel. I haven't been able to shoot it yet due to weather.....

<a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/user/mic214/media/Firearms/Rem%20788%20c.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/mic214/Firearms/Rem%20788%20c.jpeg</a>
View Quote

They are sure plain Janes that shoot like a house on fire.
Refinishing my 788 was my first foray into gun stocks.  It
turned out real nice to my eyes.  Alas it was stolen in a
house burglary along with an original .270 Sako Finnbear.

The cops stopped a car with several guys in it that took
off running in different directions; they found my Finnbear
in the trunk, but no Remington.  Even though the Sako
was beautiful and big bucks in those days (early 70's)
I did and still do wish it had been the other way around.

It would be my go-to gun today.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:02:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Best bolt gun, .223 dime groups all day.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:04:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a 788 in .308 that my Dad bought me new in 1980. Great shooting rifle.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:55:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Pop had one in 223 he put thousands of rounds through and he shot dimed sized groups with all day. Killed lots of ground hogs with it too. He decided to get a savage about 8 years ago and sold it to make room..... He swears up and down that Remington killed the 788 because it shot better than their 700 line
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:31:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I have 788's in .308 , 44 Mag and 30-30.  They are great shooting rifles.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:39:07 PM EDT
[#11]
don't need another .223 bolt gun but a 788 would be a neat addition to the assortment

Hell' I'd even make do with one in Triple Deuce
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 4:39:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I have seen a few of them from time to time on the racks, they are usually kind of pricey $500 and better, always heard they were dead on accurate even with old cheap scopes.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 7:21:27 PM EDT
[#13]
the accuracy claim on the 788 is mostly true... it's mostly due to the extremely quick locktime...much faster than the 700.
On the other hand, it is very seldom that all those little locking lugs actually bear on the locking recesses.  

I have one that I got very cheap because the bore was very poor, so I had it rebarreled (222) with a Shilen blank, but before that I spent like 20-30 hours lapping those lugs so they all touch the locking surfaces....when I started only 2 of them actually touched.

Next I installed a Timney trigger....the only aftermarket trigger available, but well worth it.

Then I properly bedded it, and now it's easily a 250 yd ground squirrel gun....with less than $500 in it (less the 6X Leupold on it).
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:22:01 PM EDT
[#14]
In my younger days I wanted one in .243 but never got around to it with all my other wants.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:20:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I have owned 4 or 5 of the guns, and have yet to find one that wasn't accurate.  I would love to have one in .30-30 or .44 Mag, not sure I have ever seen either in the wild.  Did come across a left handed 6mm recently, but the prices on these guns have gotten crazy.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#16]
They were well regarded as a design. The only weak spot I remember about them is the bolt handle coming unsoldered or whatever  it was.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 10:14:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I've owned one in .243 for about 20 years now and it served as my son's first deer rifle.

They are exceptionally accurate.  Part of that is due to the exceptionally fast lock time, but it also has to do with the rear mounted locking lugs and single column magazine design.  The result is a thick walled tubular receiver, with a smaller than average ejection port and a smaller than average cut in the bottom of the receiver, which all conspire to create a stiffer receiver than a Mauser, Winchester or even Rem 700.

The downside is that the rear locking lugs allow for some potential bolt flex, and like other rear locking lug rifles, like the Model 94 Winchester, Savage 99, SMLE, FAL, etc, it can develop headspace issues after a steady diet of excessively hot loads.   But provided that it hasn't been shot extensively with hot loaded hand loads it should be fine.   Even if it has a slightly long head space, it's not an issue if you reload and either neck size or ensure that you don't move the shoulder back in the resizing process.  

The major killer of Rem 788s is the potential for the bolt handle to separate from the bolt, if the shooter is using hot loads with sticking cases and them uses something to hammer the bolt open.  It takes a great deal of skill for a gunsmith to weld it back on and then properly heat treat the bolt and that kind of skill is mostly gone from most local gun shops you find today.   Consequently, inspect the bolt carefully and if there are any signs of repair in that area, put it back in the rack as it also suggests it's been shot with excessively hot loads.  

The Rem 788 had some minor variations over the years.  The early 788s came with the bottom metal on top of the wood, but in 1980 Remington dressed it up a bit by inletting the bottom metal.  You'll also find really early Rem 788s in a blonde finish which was popular in the late 1960s, but it was not all that attractive.  If it's in excellent condition you might want to leave it alone, but if you're looking for a shooter and it's got scratches and dings, the stocks refinish quite well with some walnut stain and an oil finish.

The 788s made prior to 1975 also had a safety that locked the bolt while the later 788s had a safety that allowed the bolt to be cycled with the safety on.

1980 was also the year Remington went with 18 1/2"  barrels on the 788s chambered in 7mm-08, .308 and .243.  

788s in .30-30 and .44 Mag were only made during the first 3 years of production and they bring a premium as they are fairly uncommon.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:09:32 AM EDT
[#18]
I have one in .22-250. It is a very accurate rifle. I've shot some of my best groups with it. Dime size at 100 yds is not unusual if I do my part. Come to think of it, I haven't shot it in quite a while. I'l have to dig it out of the safe.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 11:16:14 AM EDT
[#19]
MIne is in 6mm. It's also very accurate. I've yet to find another 788 owner that has one in 6mm caliber.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 2:15:17 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a 788 in 30-30.  Got it nearly 25 years ago as a well worn hand-me-down for my 12th birthday when a relative passed away.  My dad went out and bought me a tasco 3-9 scope for it.  I've used that thing now for every deer season since, huffing it up and down mountains, crawling through mud and brush, etc... and it's still my favorite deer rifle.  the old tasco still sits on top of it, and despite however many times it's been dropped, dinged, frozen/thawed, fired, it has maintained a perfect zero all of these years.  for about the first 20 years, I was a big proponent of ALWAYS ensuring your deer rifle's zero before hunting with it.  After 20 years of never having to change a thing, I just grab it and go now.  The thing shoots like an absolute lazer, and every deer I've killed has been with one shot.  

Despite any of my nicer/newer deer capable rifles, the 788 is the only one I can ever even imagine taking out in the woods.  It handles very well, the action is buttery smooth.

The only slight complaint I could have would be that the original mag retention spring/mechanism got a little weak over the years and didn't take much force to press the lever and release it, and about 5 years in to owning it, I found that it had been knocked loose while slung on my back going through mountain brush, and had to buy a replacement.  Back then it was tough to find one, but now they are available.

The finish on mine is beat to crap,  and is an ugly lacquered finish(what's left of it anyhow).  I've contemplated sanding it down and prettying it up, but can't decide if I want to keep with the scarred "story to tell" look, or restore it to it's former "glory".

eta: and that Tasco scope just keeps ticking.  The current Tasco doesn't even compare to what their quality was back then.  The only area it lacks in compared to my nicer scopes is in light transmission.  It's not that great at dawn or dusk, other than that, I'd easily put it up against the lower tier Leupolds in terms of build quality/clarity.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 2:53:18 AM EDT
[#21]
eta: and that Tasco scope just keeps ticking. The current Tasco doesn't even compare to what their quality was back then. The only area it lacks in compared to my nicer scopes is in light transmission. It's not that great at dawn or dusk, other than that, I'd easily put it up against the lower tier Leupolds in terms of build quality/clarity.
View Quote

The Japanese manufactured Tasco scopes were actually pretty good scopes.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 5:57:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I had a chance at a decent condition 788 in .308 about 2 years ago.  I think the owner wanted $300.  A few dings and scratches but a clean bore and no major rust or pitting.   I didn't know anything about the 788 so I passed.  I wished I had known then what I know now, as I would have snapped it up.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 7:09:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Great shooters .223 dime shot groups all day long.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 10:07:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I had a chance at a decent condition 788 in .308 about 2 years ago.  I think the owner wanted $300.  A few dings and scratches but a clean bore and no major rust or pitting.   I didn't know anything about the 788 so I passed.  I wished I had known then what I know now, as I would have snapped it up.
View Quote

$300 is a fair price for a .308, but anything more than $325-350 is a little bit ridiculous...unless you are talking about some of the less-common calibers (.30-30, .44 Mag, 6mm).  I have no idea why these guns are bringing so much money these days, I routinely see people asking $500+ for them.  Don't get me wrong, they were accurate rifles, but that was about all they had going for them.  Cheap stocks, terrible finishes, and triggers that could be hit or miss at times.  Plus, magazines are getting harder to find, and can be expensive.  

Link Posted: 2/27/2016 10:15:49 PM EDT
[#25]
First rifle I ever bought for myself somewhere around 1978. I traded it for a 700VS in the same caliber a couple of years later. I've spent the next 30+ years trying to get my original 788 back from the guy that bought it off of the used rack. Great rifles. Don't think I ever heard of one that wasn't a shooter.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 8:32:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
MIne is in 6mm. It's also very accurate. I've yet to find another 788 owner that has one in 6mm caliber.
View Quote

I have a 788 in 6mm. It is a typical 788, in that it shoots tiny groups with little work.

There are damn few 6mm Rems.

I actually have been looking at selling mine, as I built a custom 6mm on a Tikka T3 and never use my 788 anymore.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 12:09:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Have an old 788 in 22-250 that was my dads.  It has an old Denver made Redfield scope on it and it is a tack driver.  I remember him shooting coyotes with it and never missing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top