Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2016 11:59:45 PM EDT
I heard the new Model 70s are the best ones Winchester's made, so I was thinking about getting a Super Grade in .270. Is there any reason for me not to get one?
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:05:53 AM EDT
[#1]
They certainly are.

Even that MOA trigger isn't as bad as I expected it to be.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 6:31:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I only have one Model 70 and it is a transition '68 model in 7mm Rem Mag.  I like it a lot.  I've had the barreled action restocked in some gorgeous wood.

I looked at the new ones and do like what they are doing from a production and aesthetics stand point.  There was a review of one several years ago made in the FN plant in South Carolina.  What I remember and what caused me to not buy was the mediocre accuracy.  It was chambered in .308 and they could not get it to break 2 MOA with a variety of different ammo, including match grade stuff.  That was disappointing to me.  I realize it was a sample of one, and barrels do have variations in accuracy.   My own sample of one made back in the late '60s will shoot right at 1 MOA with boring consistency with decent ammo.  It is a hunting rifle and I don't need greater accuracy.  but 2 MOA -- more like 2.5 MOA with most ammo was not my idea of "the rifleman's rifle."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top