Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2015 10:10:23 PM EDT
I have a ton of 308 ammo from before i sold my Mega MA TEN a few years back. Now i want a gun to hunt with in 308.  I'd need it to be under 1500, and i have some really good scopes to put on it so i do not have to figure that in. I also do not mind buying used either. Any help would be appreciated.

ETA: No ar's either.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 10:41:47 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's just for hunting, Browning BAR without a doubt.  If you want to plink as well, see if you can find a DPMS G2 .308.  It's the lightest .308 upper/lower out there so good for hunting, but since it's an AR good for plinking too
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 6:12:27 AM EDT
[#2]
In ny your best bet is probably an m1a. Mine hated 5 round hunting magazines though.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 9:20:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I've heard alot of good things about the FNAR.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:19:39 AM EDT
[#4]
PTR-91?
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:23:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm a FAL guy through and through but for your application I'd probably look at an M1A
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:32:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Consider a true semiauto deer rifle.  Here is my Remington Woodsmaster 742 in .308 with a low mounted 2-7x scope.  Light, fast handling, reliable.  Instinctive pointing.   I have two others, one in '06 and the other in .280 Remington, so I guess you could say I like them.  Never let me down.  A lot less bulky and better balanced that an AR for pure field and woods hunting.  I do sometimes hunt with an AR but this design is just about ideal for deer hunting.  7.5 lbs for the rifle with 22" barrel.  1.5 MOA, which is more than sufficient for whitetail hunting distances.

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:47:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Another +1 for the Remington 740/742.. I grew up shooting my Dad's .30-06 and my uncle's .308, and they are light and handy and really pack a wallop, and since they are not "trendy" they can be had in nice shape for well under $500. They will tend to bind the op rod if they get hot enough, but this isn't a rifle designed to do battle with, it was designed to bring home game. The Winchester 100 is very similar, but the Winnies have become a bit "collectible" and are harder to find now and more expensive.

Not a semi auto, but you might look at the great sleeper of the bolt guns, the Howa 1500. "Inexpensive" does not have to mean "cheap." I am still kicking myself that I did not buy one in .220 Swift when they were out.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 12:07:41 PM EDT
[#8]
.308 Vepr or Saiga.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 12:46:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
PTR-91?
View Quote

+1

Full disclosure - not a PTR-91 owner, former HK 91 owner, but the HK is over the budget limit stated.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:20:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the replies. My dad has a Remington 7400 in 30-06 that shoots and handles nice, and i have heard good things about the 740. I just looked at some of the Belgium Browing BARs and they look pretty slick too. 90% of the shots i take are inside 200 yards, so i dont need a tack driver but like 1-2 MOA. Im not sure of the legality of the M1A and the FNAR in NY; i'll look into it a bit more.

ETA: what are the main differences between the 740, 742, 750 and 7400 Remingtons. I know they were different models, but do some function generally better than others or get better accuracy?
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 11:41:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a 740 and three 742s in different calibers.  The 742 has a slightly improved bolt and a much better stock with a higher comb for use with a scope.

My 740 is in '06.  It sometimes does not completely close the bolt on a manual charge.  I always push the bolt handle forward when first charging the chamber (like using the forward assist on an AR).  It cycles fine from the gas system for subsequent shots.  Maybe the spring is weak or worn locking lugs.  After all its only about 50 years old and been used a lot.  Otherwise, runs perfectly.

My 742s are two ADLs in .308 and .280.  Both run flawlessly. The third is a BDL '06.  It has an upgraded stock with nicer wood and a full cheekpiece.  Otherwise, it is the same as the ADLs, and is equally reliable.  All shoot quarter size groups at 100 yards with decent ammo.  About 1.5 MOA.

They are somewhat sensitive to handloads.  You must use small base dies if you reload, and it is best not to exceed factory load data equivalents.  Get too hot and extraction is too violent and cases get torn at the groove around the case head because the case is pulled from the chamber while still expanded.  This only happens with handloads worked up with my hotter bolt gun recipies.  They are all fine with factory ammo and more "moderate" handloads.

The 7400 also has some slight bolt change.  I really don't know much about the 750.

If you get any one of these, keep the chamber clean, not just the bore, and it will run great.  People who report problems almost always see them disappear after using a chamber brush.  It has brass bristles, chamber size, on a z shaped twisted wire handle to gain access through the ejection port, as the bolt must be locked back for cleaning and can't me removed from tbe back of the receiver like with a bolt action.  Keep the chamber clean and they run fine.

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 7:44:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
PTR-91?
View Quote

I'll second that. Or any other well built HK91 clone.

The HK's are more accurate than fal's, even if the FAL's look and feel sexy. Function needs to be placed before form. Also, magazines for HK91 clones are super inexpensive.

M1A's are nice too, if you'd rather have something more "traditional" looking.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 9:30:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
.308 Vepr or Saiga.
View Quote

While I second this. It's finding them that is the issue.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 12:51:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have a ton of 308 ammo from before i sold my Mega MA TEN a few years back. Now i want a gun to hunt with in 308.  I'd need it to be under 1500, and i have some really good scopes to put on it so i do not have to figure that in. I also do not mind buying used either. Any help would be appreciated.

ETA: No ar's either.
View Quote

You want something to hunt with?? Stay away from any of the .mil style guns. Unless you like humping 7 - 10lbs around. Don't get me wrong, they're nice rifles, not something i would tote around for a few hours, let alone a weekend hunting trip.

The suggestion for a Remington "7" series has been mentioned and what i would suggest too.  They are usually found in pawn shops after hunting season.  Average used price runs $250 - 400, depending (as always) on condition and accessories.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 12:58:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I did a PTR-91 with the picatinny rail welded to the top.

Under your budget, mags and spare parts are cheap, and it's a hoot.

AJ
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:57:48 AM EDT
[#16]
A few months back I went through the same thing your going through.  I finally decided on the FNAR.  I found that besides being somewhat of a PITA to disassemble to clean, it's a great semi auto with great accuracy.  Currently they can be had for well under $1000.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:58:03 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm in NY......no ARs, no FNAR and no M1A. Very limited. I would have kept my Mega 308 if I could have.

I've been looking at used 742's....I think I need one. Good reviews, and quite a bit cheaper than Belgium bar's without much compromise. I'll spend the extra 400 on ammo.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 5:30:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Might want to contact Ares Defense. Wouldn't be surprised if they have a 308 SCR in the works.

Ares SCR

Benelli R1 maybe?

Saiga 308 carbine.

Otherwise I know you said semi-auto, but... the Mossberg MVP line in 308 is mag fed.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 6:29:11 PM EDT
[#19]
That ares scr looks pretty cool. I wonder if they could make that with a wood stock and forend lol.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 6:59:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm in NY......no ARs, no FNAR and no M1A. Very limited. I would have kept my Mega 308 if I could have.

I've been looking at used 742's....I think I need one. Good reviews, and quite a bit cheaper than Belgium bar's without much compromise. I'll spend the extra 400 on ammo.
View Quote

Move
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 7:54:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

That ares scr looks pretty cool. I wonder if they could make that with a wood stock and forend lol.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 10:36:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/s2048x2048/12189467_948878358518509_6140470233564449889_o.jpg

If you're going to post something like that, spill the beans on who makes the stock man.

OP you could get an Argentinian FN49 and neuter the mag down. Or keep on the lookout for a functional .308 MAS 49/56.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:36:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If you're going to post something like that, spill the beans on who makes the stock man.

OP you could get an Argentinian FN49 and neuter the mag down. Or keep on the lookout for a functional .308 MAS 49/56.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/s2048x2048/12189467_948878358518509_6140470233564449889_o.jpg

+1 ... i think that looks pretty sweet. Might not appeal to everyone, but i like it.

Im still debating on what to do. I talked with a few people who have shot both the 742 and BARs, and almost everyone says go with the BAR Safari MK2. Way more pricey, as brand new ones are going for 1k, but then again they are very well made and very aesthetic. I need to shoot the BAR.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 12:08:44 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ares Defense posted that pic in this thread (scroll down):  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/672281_ARES_SCR_Pics.html&page=17

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 8:44:55 AM EDT
[#25]
If you are looking for a great hunting platform in .308, one of the rifles that I might suggest to you is the Mossberg MVP-LR.   It's a bolt action rifle that takes a standard AR mag.  The rifle is great but the magazine that it comes with the rifle is junk (throw away the mag and get you a C Products Defense magazine).  It also comes with such niceties as a push-button adjustable comb, a rubberized cheekrest and an adjustable trigger.   I have one of these and it's a great rifle.

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 8:12:45 PM EDT
[#26]
This is looking like the winner I believe. Gotta find someone who has it so I can shoot it, then I'll decide for sure,

Browning BAR Mark II Safari
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:37:08 PM EDT
[#27]
" />

I've had a DPMS .308 (older model) a PTR 91 and a Cetme... Nothing touched the FAL, short of a scar anyways. Got this guy for a great deal from a member hear via Gunbroker. Would not hesitate to grab her in a life or death situation, or any application requiring .30 cal goodness.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:34:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Since this is for shooting animals with, I'll only recommend something that'll most likely get you good, 'ethical' hits.

So no wasting time with PTR's, FAL's, M1A's, etc; and all those others that are hard to accurize battle rifles. Bolt, tradition rifle type semi auto, something like the FNAR, or probably the best option is an AR-10 type.

And definitely not a Saiga or any other AK platform...

What's with the desperation of people to get anything but AR's for things AR's are generally best for? This whole section is turning into a "I need this, but in anything that's not an AR.' It's fun to be different, but damn....
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 3:55:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Im not trying to be different. I live in NY....... NO ARS. That simple. I put in the OP that I sold my AR10 off before the state registration date. I spent 2500 on that with optics and it was awesome. I sold it and now I want another 308. I'm not going to move to a free state anytime soon, so I have to deal with ny states shit. Still leaning towards the Browning, but the older Remington's seem adequate as well.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:51:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Since this is for shooting animals with, I'll only recommend something that'll most likely get you good, 'ethical' hits.

So no wasting time with PTR's, FAL's, M1A's, etc; and all those others that are hard to accurize battle rifles. Bolt, tradition rifle type semi auto, something like the FNAR, or probably the best option is an AR-10 type.

What's with the desperation of people to get anything but AR's for things AR's are generally best for? This whole section is turning into a "I need this, but in anything that's not an AR.' It's fun to be different, but damn....
View Quote

Not quite sure why these rifles are a waste of time... All of the rifles you named are easily capable of shooting less the 2 MOA with decent ammo and a decent shooter. Maybe I'm missing something....
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 2:36:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Not quite sure why these rifles are a waste of time... All of the rifles you named are easily capable of shooting less the 2 MOA with decent ammo and a decent shooter. Maybe I'm missing something....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you miss the part about him being in NY? So that knocks out the majority right there.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 10:47:34 AM EDT
[#32]
I've found a 1969 BAR Grade 1 true Belgium that is 90-95% for 750. New Mark II Safaris are around 1100 new. I've never handled a bar, so I dk the difference between the older vs newer ones. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 11:18:58 PM EDT
[#33]
I see the older bars do not have adjustable gas blocks. Add on the fact that parts may be harder to find and it makes me want to lean towards a new one. Maybe I'll keep waiting for a sub 1k deal on gb or armslist.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 11:13:06 PM EDT
[#34]
I have owned an HK91, FAL and M1A
All are great weapons but the FAL is my favorite
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top