Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2015 1:54:41 AM EDT
I'm looking for a new rifle, and I've been eyeing the ARX100. Found one for sub $1200, which seems like a good deal. Can owners chime in about how they like it?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:44:03 AM EDT
[#1]
My go-to choice for 5.56 ATM.  $1200 is a good deal.

A few observations:
- Controls are stiff, so they need a break in period.  10# trigger, in particular, could be lighter, although it breaks clean.  Hoping for some aftermarket fixes in the not-too-distant future.
- Factory sights are functional but sit high (I see a set of Magpul Pro buis in my future).
- Light, & profile is slimmer than it appears.
- Reliable & fairly accurate (~2 MOA seems to be the general consensus).
- Recommend STANAG mags, though most poly mags work, too.
- Stock has no adjustable cheek riser as issued.  Opinion varies on this, but optics don't require a riser, so height seems about right IMO.  The rear sliding part of the stock is removable, & rumor has that an optional part to increase LOP may be out in the future, & I'm wondering if it might also incorporate a riser.  We'll see...
- Factory SBR bbl's are out, so that's an option (This thing has SBR in its DNA, esp. with the QD bbl feature).
- Full ambidexterity may not be a necessity, but it is cool none the less, & brilliantly executed.

ETA comment about the trigger.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 6:00:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for taking the time to list those points. Any trouble with the charging handle? Criticisms seems to be centered around how small it is, with some individuals skinning themselves on the brass deflector.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 6:48:29 AM EDT
[#3]
You seem unsure.  Tell us where it is and I will pick it up.

It is a good rifle.  Max
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:43:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree with what Master_Blaster said.

I did install the Magpul Pro sights on my ARX and they are much better than the factory sights but they still sit a little high, though not near as bad as the factory sights. I thought about getting a set of the Troy Micro sights but they do not offer any combination that I would like.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:04:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I like mine... I say get it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 7:07:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I was thinking about getting one. I like the ease of barrel change to make an SBR and the fully ambidextrous features since I'm left handed. Unless there is a source of extra parts that I'm not aware of, the rifle is proprietary (like Sig Sauer rifles) and if you need any parts or repairs, you have to go back through them.

Just me, but I like to have spare parts on hand and fix things myself if I can.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:34:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was thinking about getting one. I like the ease of barrel change to make an SBR and the fully ambidextrous features since I'm left handed. Unless there is a source of extra parts that I'm not aware of, the rifle is proprietary (like Sig Sauer rifles) and if you need any parts or repairs, you have to go back through them.

Just me, but I like to have spare parts on hand and fix things myself if I can.
View Quote

Brownells carries most of their parts.

It's the same as any other newer rifle in that regard - parts are mostly OEM.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:43:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Hopefully they integrate all the improvements they made for the ARX-200 into the 100:

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:32:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hopefully they integrate all the improvements they made for the ARX-200 into the 100:

http://i.imgur.com/vzxeUyZ.jpg
View Quote

That's one thing I'm concerned about. Maybe I should wait for an 'A2' model with the improvements.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 3:02:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's one thing I'm concerned about. Maybe I should wait for an 'A2' model with the improvements.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 5.56 variant in the pic is the ARX160 A3, from which the -100 was derived.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 3:14:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The 5.56 variant in the pic is the ARX160 A3, from which the -100 was derived from.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 5.56 variant in the pic is the ARX160 A3, from which the -100 was derived from.

Exactly right, the only things about the ARX-200 that could possibly make the ARX-100 better is the built in cheek riser, keymod rial/handguard and built in QD sling sockets.

I've never been on the keymod bandwagon anyway so that doesn't really matter much to me.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 3:20:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Exactly right, the only things about the ARX-200 that could possibly make the ARX-100 better is the built in cheek riser, keymod rial/handguard and built in QD sling sockets.

I've never been on the keymod bandwagon anyway so that doesn't really matter much to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe the height over bore of the optics rail is also less on the 200
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:59:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I believe the height over bore of the optics rail is also less on the 200
View Quote

Looking at the picture above, this appears to be correct.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 12:47:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Really like mine , charging handle is a lil on the small side , but a fella on eBay is selling a nicely  upgraded charging handle that works really well
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 8:14:19 AM EDT
[#15]
So let's say one has a Mk.18, would a 10" ARX-100 SBR be different enough (besides the 'get both' factor) to really be able to fill any niches better than the Mk.18? I'm assuming it's a little lighter, and possibly a slightly better suppressor host due to the adjustable gas block. What else would I be gaining?
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 10:49:24 AM EDT
[#16]
I want to like these so bad but I just cant get over the space between the magwell and handguard being all tarded and angled. Make the fucking rail go all the way back and square off straight down with the magwell.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 11:35:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I want to like these so bad but I just cant get over the space between the magwell and handguard being all tarded and angled. Make the fucking rail go all the way back and square off straight down with the magwell.
View Quote

Beretta sells a traditional lower railed handguard (albeit plastic), it's actually pretty cheap too. Like <$30 I believe.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 2:11:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

That space contains the bbl retention/locking mechanism.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 7:50:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So let's say one has a Mk.18, would a 10" ARX-100 SBR be different enough (besides the 'get both' factor) to really be able to fill any niches better than the Mk.18? I'm assuming it's a little lighter, and possibly a slightly better suppressor host due to the adjustable gas block. What else would I be gaining?
View Quote

Folding stock for even more compactness...
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 9:55:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 10:24:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Check botach for good pricing on the Arx100
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 10:16:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I really like mine.  It's not going to be a tack drive like some of the ARs that can be had in it's price range, but it is a very cool rifle that shoots under 3".  I drink Beretta flavored Cool Aid too so that made it a no brainer for me.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 10:59:56 AM EDT
[#23]
It does most of what the FN SCAR does and I can gut two ARXs for the price of one SCAR.

It's pretty much a no brainer.

AJ
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 7:13:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It does most of what the FN SCAR does and I can gut two ARXs for the price of one SCAR.

It's pretty much a no brainer.

AJ
View Quote

It actually does more than the SCAR does, minus having a check riser of course.

It looks prettier too.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 7:16:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Meh I don't see what it offers over a good AR.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 7:34:38 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote

Folding stock and quick change barrel mainly.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 8:15:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That and the whole perfect mirror image right hand to left hand rifle in seconds.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 8:54:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That and the whole perfect mirror image right hand to left hand rifle in seconds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easy SBR conversion with a bbl assy that is cheaper than a complete upper & takes up less space in my safe.  Winning!
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 9:13:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Besides having a quick change barrel that’s removable w/o tools, adjustable gas system, gas piston, dual extractor/ejectors, reciprocating CH, true ambidexterity and a folding stock, it doesn’t offer much over a AR.

I’m not sure about long term durability compared to the SCAR. The stock latch (to hold the stock closed) is part of the receiver, if it breaks it’s not going to be easily fixed. I’m also not sure about how long the steel bolt carrier running in the plastic receiver is going to last.

But I don’t think a SCAR is going to be more durable long term than 2xARX, which is how the cash would work out.

AJ
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 12:35:35 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Besides having a quick change barrel that’s removable w/o tools, adjustable gas system, gas piston, dual extractor/ejectors, reciprocating CH, true ambidexterity and a folding stock, it doesn’t offer much over a AR.

I’m not sure about long term durability compared to the SCAR. The stock latch (to hold the stock closed) is part of the receiver, if it breaks it’s not going to be easily fixed. I’m also not sure about how long the steel bolt carrier running in the plastic receiver is going to last.

But I don’t think a SCAR is going to be more durable long term than 2xARX, which is how the cash would work out.

AJ

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

AJ

I imagine the receiver on an ARX can't be that expensive to make. FN charges like $1200 for an upper receiver on the SCAR. I'm curious if they will ever sell stripped receivers for the ARX 100.

Link Posted: 10/18/2015 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

AJ
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AJ

How is the quick change barrel on this gun a superior system to swapping out the upper receiver on an AR?
Reciprocating CH? Who the fuck wants that?

Ambidextrous controls and side folding stock have limited utility but I can see it for the people who are left handed or ride in a vehicle needing a short rifle.

This gun brings some niche changes over the AR but that's about it. Just some strange in a rifle package.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 1:18:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

How is the quick change barrel on this gun a superior system to swapping out the upper receiver on an AR?

Ambidextrous controls and side folding stock have limited utility but I can see it for the people who are left handed or ride in a vehicle needing a short rifle.

This gun brings some niche changes over the AR but that's about it. Just some strange in a rifle package.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AJ

I've had about as much of a problem with the reciprocating CHs on rifles as I have with the reciprocating slides on semi auto HGs.  But then, there are also people who prefer shoes with Velcro straps instead of laces...

As for the comparison of an entire upper v. a bbl?  Cost, weight, less space taken up in my safe & my gear bag.  I have a carry case wherein I can fit an ARX, mags, & both 10" & 16" bbl assy's, & it's still smaller than a minimal case that would be needed to tow just one 16" AR.  Throw in 2nd upper, & things get crowded (at best); should prob up-size the case.

"Niche" is subjective.  Taking that perspective, improvements in small arms have been "niche" since the STG-44.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 1:23:33 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

AJ

I do. Gives you full control of the bolt and you can tell the position of the bolt with just a quick glance.

It depends. It is nice having the registered part of an AR be the lower so you can buy multiple uppers. On the other hand you are swapping more components than you need to.

Link Posted: 10/18/2015 3:35:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I've had about as much of a problem with the reciprocating CHs on rifles as I have with the reciprocating slides on semi auto HGs.  But then, there are also people who prefer shoes with Velcro straps instead of laces...

As for the comparison of an entire upper v. a bbl?  Cost, weight, less space taken up in my safe & my gear bag.  I have a carry case wherein I can fit an ARX, mags, & both 10" & 16" bbl assy's, & it's still smaller than a minimal case that would be needed to tow just one 16" AR.  Throw in 2nd upper, & things get crowded (at best); should prob up-size the case.

"Niche" is subjective.  Taking that perspective, improvements in small arms have been "niche" since the STG-44.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AJ

Just because you haven't had a problem with one doesn't mean it's an improvement over the CH on an AR.

Ok, for hauling guns back and forth to the range then I guess that's important for some. But in the field use of a rifle, a quick change barrel is nearly pointless.

Something for 7-10% of the general population is niche. I said it brings niche changes not niche improvements so I won't argue the evolution of small arms.

With all that said, the operating system is most likely a better setup for SBR and suppressed applications than the AR.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 5:10:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Side chargers have an innate advantage in that you don't need 1) to move your head to charge or manipulate the bolt 2) don't have a gap for gas to shoot back into your face 3) eliminates the forward assist.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 10:46:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Another advantage (besides the ones already mentioned) of the CH on the ARX is one solid piece of steel replaces 4 parts of the AR CH and 6 parts of the AR forward assist. I know which I would trust in a durability contest.

Plus, I can slap the huge target that ARX CH gives me when I'm reloading to send the bolt home instead of trying to hit a smaller bolt release.

AJ
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 10:47:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 6:13:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I imagine the receiver on an ARX can't be that expensive to make.
View Quote

LOL then you haven't priced complex injection molds lately. Sure, it's only a few bucks worth of plastic. But the cost is in the multimillion-dollar machine that turns the plastic into a rifle receiver.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 10:17:28 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

LOL then you haven't priced complex injection molds lately. Sure, it's only a few bucks worth of plastic. But the cost is in the multimillion-dollar machine that turns the plastic into a rifle receiver.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I imagine the receiver on an ARX can't be that expensive to make.

Since you've priced injection molds lately what is your estimate on cost?

Link Posted: 10/20/2015 8:28:29 AM EDT
[#40]
I haven't priced anything lately, or anything nearly as complex. But just the molds for even simple injection-molded parts can run $50-75,000 each.

Injection Molding for Dummies

That's a British site but they say 20,000 pounds (close to $40,000) for complex molds - I bet they are not talking about something as complex as the ARX receiver.

If Beretta thinks they can sell 10,000 ARX rifles (no idea if that's realistic, probably over time), and they spent $3,000,000 prototyping it, they have to make $300 profit on each one just to break even. I have no idea what the per-unit cost would be on the receiver, certainly less than $100, but the upfront costs of injection molding can still ruin your project's amortization.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 11:37:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Hope it's worth it, I just jumped in on it.  $1150 shipped was too good to pass up.

Watched a ton of video reviews from folks I respected (MAC and MrGunsngear being the best) and the Italian ARX160 seems to have generally favorable stuff posted online.

I was seriously considering the ACR when the price dropped down to $1500, but then the coyote one went back up to $1600 so I gave up on it.  Handling them side by side, the ARX just feels better and is much lighter.  I also trust Beretta to support it better than "Bushmington" supports ACR.  At least the ARX SBR barrels are available, and it looks like they plan on several different caliber kits based on the packaging.  And you can order damn near every part from Brownells if you need spares.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 2:27:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

QD sling socks are a plus, but I'm not convinced Keymod/Mlok is better, because the slot-bolt interface is a potential weak point in the setup (I recently came across a YT vid that showed a mounted light unit vibrating loose during shooting).  For the -100, the only neg with the cheek riser would be that it could prohibit shooting with CH on the left with the stock folded.  Otherwise, it's also a plus.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top