Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2015 1:31:31 AM EDT
After conducting research and experimentation, I have decided to put out some information that I have learned about DIY Homemade Body Armor and material penetration capability of bullets in general.  I put together a video about the topic.  As a disclaimer do not use this as a substitute for body armor.
Please share with me and others your ideas for homemade body armor or what factors contribute to a bullets ability to penetrate.
Homemade Body Armor and Bullet Penetration Basics
1.Ceramic Front Plate: The ceramic plate has a relatively high compressive and shear strength and that act to absorb the energy of the bullet and degrade its material and shape.  Ceramic tiles are available in different ratings. The ceramic tile strips away the copper jacket and exposes the softer lead core.  
2.Fabric Back Plate:  The layered fabric plate is comprised of any fabric that has a tight weave and is strong under tension.  The fabric back plate exhibits a high tensile strength as well as a minimal amount of shear strength.  Fabrics such as denim, canvas, nylon, Kevlar, or fiberglass can all be used for this purpose and should be comprised of 8 layers at minimum.  
3.Adhesive: Adhesives when applied and impregnated into the fabric layers increases the tensile and shear strength as well as provides compressive strength to the composite material.  Use polyurethane base like Locktite Premium Proline adhesive.
PrepKnowDo Youtube Channel

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:27:00 AM EDT
[#1]
telephone books - from experience they work great.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:09:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Not a body armor forum.  

You already have 1 topic moved.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 2:42:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Why are you reposting this?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:08:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
telephone books - from experience they work great.
View Quote

It was tested by MythBusters and it really worked.
A car covered in telephone book...poorman's armored car.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:14:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I do not understand the obsession with homemade body armor, when there are multiple sources from which to purchase actual body armor, that has been designed, manufactured, and tested by professionals.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:47:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Didnt you get pee pee slapped already for pimping your channel?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:49:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Didn't old time gun slingers wear silk embroidered vest to act as armored vest?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Wrong Forum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top