Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/23/2015 3:58:06 PM EDT
I've always wanted an M1A but it seems like the popular opinion is that there is a better tool for a better price in most any circumstance.  I guess I'm asking for a reason to justify buying one.  Why did you buy an M1A, what role does it play in your line-up?
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 4:17:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on what you want it for.  The AR 10 platform will out shoot it any day of the week and twice on Sunday and do so with much less effort and tweaking.  That said the 14 platform has a certain cool factor to it.  Mine's a Polytech.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 4:23:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a few, like 9.
Some are original.
Some are accurized to shoot service rifle matches
Some are in JAE stocks, wearing Sadlak mounts and Leupold Mk 4 glass

What can I say, I love my M1As
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 4:29:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Agree. Only reason to own one now is for looks or for the history.

Worthless as a 308 platform compared to the ar10 or more so the scar 17 and scar ssr
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 4:29:33 PM EDT
[#4]
They are certainly cool, no question!  Is there a job that the M1A can handle better than any other option?  I'm not rich enough to justify buying one on cool factor alone, yet.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 4:32:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are certainly cool, no question!  Is there a job that the M1A can handle better than any other option?  I'm not rich enough to justify buying one on cool factor alone, yet.
View Quote

They look fuddy and are less likely to rile up the anti "assault weapons" crowd than an AR-10 or AR-15. I know people who were looking into M1A's and Mini-14's specifically because of that reason, they wanted an evil black rifle without the attention.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 4:35:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

They look fuddy and are less likely to rile up the anti "assault weapons" crowd than an AR-10 or AR-15. I know people who were looking into M1A's and Mini-14's specifically because of that reason, they wanted an evil black rifle without the attention.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's actually a decent reason, I didn't think of that!
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 4:40:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Its been obsolete since stoner built the AR-10, or when FN made the FAL

still capable, but there have been better options all along
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 4:40:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, there is not.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 4:43:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Its been obsolete since stoner built the AR-10, or when FN made the FAL

still capable, but there have been better options all along
View Quote

Pretty much.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Worthless as a 308 platform compared to the ar10 or more so the scar 17 and scar ssr
View Quote

Obsolete? YES! Worthless? NO

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 6:16:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Fuck No!
Consider its steel not aluminum or plastic. Put that in a winter setting and I would take it all day long. Then again Im getting old but old shit works.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 6:18:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Wood and steel? More character as it ages, make a great lifetime rifle, an old trusty so to speak
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 6:50:55 PM EDT
[#13]
yes, but it's still cool.
AR762 variant will do everything better
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 7:37:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've always wanted an M1A....
View Quote

If you've always wanted one, you should get one.

Just remember that the M1A isn't the only M14 type rifle out there.
There are several quality semi-auto civilian M14s on the market.

The M14 is a versatile rifle with barrel lengths ranging from 16.25" to 22.00".
Barrel thickness ranging from standard to heavy weight, with different rates of twist.
There are many different stocks available, classic USGI to modern chassis stock systems.
GI flash hider with a bayonet, modern muzzle brakes, flash hiders & sound suppressors.

Some other rifles do this or that better, but the M14 just does everything very well.

My M14s are my go-to general purpose 7.62mm rifles.

And NO, they aren't obsolete.

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pretty much my opinion.
The open-top receiver was obsolescent by the end of WW2. "Traditional" stock design about the same time, or shortly thereafter. Certainly, the StG-44 and AK-47 showed improvements in both fields, with the FAL, G3, even the abortive EM-2 following along soon. The M14 was a 1930s design in the 1960s.

Still, there's some appeal to the old-school lines, and the M14-style rifle is just as good at launching a .308" projectile as it ever was.

So while it may be obsolete or at least obsolescent in technical terms, that doesn't make it somehow useless (which people seem to infer from "obsolete" much of the time--it just means eclipsed technically or technologically).

Heck, I want some form of M14-clone someday. Its obsolete technological status doesn't reduce its appeal to a low-grade history geek like me!
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:02:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Mag fed semi auto that is reliable and accurate enough for what it's meant to do.

It's an old design but still just as good as any rifle that fits the above description.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:59:17 PM EDT
[#17]
OP I have one I inherited, my dad and I both bought one back in the early 2000s. I sold mine, he kept his and I ended up with it. I would never sell it, but if I were to buy a semiauto .308 I would go with an AR. Easier to work on or build yourself, easier to accurize, easier to clean frankly.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:27:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Obsolete? In a strictly technical sense yes.

Serviceable? Useful? Perhaps.

My experience with them is limited. Although I must say that when I got to shoot an M14 a month ago I was extremely impressed. Although this was a gun that literally everything had been done to it. It was a national match model built on a smith receiver built as a post sample. A tad hard to control on FA

It felt absurdly nice and elegant in my hands. If it wasn't for the fact that there are about a dozen guns I would like to get first I would definitely like to get a semi only M14

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 11:38:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Owning and shooting/using a "classic" mbr is a mix between sheer fun and practicality. I don't have an m1a, but own a hk91 pattern rifle. The argument is pretty much the same. I could have bought a modern mid level ar10 type rifle with the money but I LOVE shooting my Greek sar8 so much. For me the enjoyment I get from blasting with my classic mbr is more then I'd have with an ar10 for the type of shooting I do. Yeah it has its deficiencies compared to an ar10 type rifle or scar, but in a situation where we'd have to use them against people, I doubt the difference would be extremely noticeable.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 11:50:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I much rather shoot an M1A with irons than an AR10 variant.    AR10 is much easier to mount optics.  

They are different beasts.   The M1A is a very natural feeling rifle to me.   It is still a very capable firearm and definitely has a place.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 8:26:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:27:37 AM EDT
[#22]
They may be outdated, but they are definitely NOT obsolete.

Any firearm that can reliably put out lead, especially an auto-loader, is not obsolete IMO.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:33:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Is the M1A obsolete?
View Quote

No.

The M1A, and the M14 that it copied are not obsolete.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:46:11 AM EDT
[#24]
It still puts bullets where you intend them to go. I don't know how that is obsolete.

If you're talking about mounting modern optics and maintaining sub-moa accuracy there are cheaper options, but the M1A can be made to perform to modern standards with an appropriate investment. Whether one wishes to make that investment is an individual decision.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 11:09:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 11:10:24 AM EDT
[#26]
I think that by definition, yes, the M14-type is obsolete.  

However, they are cool, sleek looking, respectably accurate, and a lot of fun to shoot.  

I took my Poly through a 5-day carbine course a couple years ago, and I came out a MUCH better shooter than I would have if I had taken some AR-whatever.  There is something to be said about challenging yourself via gear handicaps; after that course, shooting my SCAR 17 feels like cheating.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 11:25:49 AM EDT
[#27]
It was obsolete before the first prototype was built.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 11:59:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It still puts bullets where you intend them to go. I don't know how that is obsolete.

If you're talking about mounting modern optics and maintaining sub-moa accuracy there are cheaper options, but the M1A can be made to perform to modern standards with an appropriate investment. Whether one wishes to make that investment is an individual decision.
View Quote

That is just nit true. Groups open up as the barrel heats up and wood changes poi with
Humility and temp.

So it was an ok gun in its time but now is obsolete.

It is like you can takr a model t to go to the 7/11 but not the same as a porsche
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 12:01:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Context context. Try reading the whole sentence
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 12:05:48 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't think I'm qualified to answer the question.  But the one thing I have to add is that I think an FAL has more felt recoil.  And follow up shots a little slower.  Or maybe even a lot slower.  But I have not shot an FAL a lot.  I have shot M1A's enough to know.  But then again, an AR10 or SCAR may be a completely different story.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 2:02:25 PM EDT
[#31]
The USGI M14 is out of production, but more developed variants are still in use.

The civilian copies are still in production, they are used by hundreds of thousands, and they benefit from additional development.

They are in no way obsolete - not even close.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 3:40:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The USGI M14 is out of production, but more developed variants are still in use.

The civilian copies are still in production, they are used by hundreds of thousands, and they benefit from additional development.

They are in no way obsolete - not even close.
View Quote

For their originaly designed purpose as a battle rifle they areobsolete. As a dmr they are obsolete.

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 3:44:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You want to split hairs?

Even compared to more effective platforms the m14 is not "worthless" as in "no value". Its just not as good which is not the same thing as worthless.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 3:50:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

For their originaly designed purpose as a battle rifle they areobsolete. As a dmr they are obsolete.

View Quote

Only if you insist on making up your own definition of the word "obsolete".

Is that clear, or do also wish to tell us what "is" is?

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 4:35:06 PM EDT
[#35]
It's only Obsolete for those who choose too
I choose otherwise
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 4:47:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It's only Obsolete for those who choose too
I choose otherwise
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg544/sr16ve2/image.jpg1_zpsegbispaa.jpg
View Quote

Nice setup sir.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 5:08:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Modernized M1A in the Lone Star state of Texas

LMAO.... Obsolete...
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

obsolete means its not in use.

The US military is not using it. Therefore it is an obsolete military weapon. In use by civilians is irrelevant.

Damn fine weapon, i like them, same as m1 garands. Obsolete does not mean worthless.

It seems you are making up definitions.

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 7:18:41 PM EDT
[#39]
03RN, I'm pretty sure the M14EBR-RI is still being used by US troops that remain in Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
03RN, I'm pretty sure the M14EBR-RI is still being used by US troops that remain in Afghanistan.
View Quote

Im pretty sure its not. If im wrong then Ill eat crow. It was only ever a stop gap. Now that we have good .308 AR  platformsand SCARs there is no reson to field it. Just like the mk12. Although I know guys who liked the mk 12, never knew anyone who liked  the mk-14
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 8:17:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Im pretty sure its not. If im wrong then Ill eat crow. It was only ever a stop gap. Now that we have good .308 AR  platformsand SCARs there is no reson to field it. Just like the mk12. Although I know guys who liked the mk 12, never knew anyone who liked  the mk-14
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's not get too far off topic... the OP did ask about the M1A, not the M14.

The military "stop gap" is now on it's 15th year, and I'm not sure the MK14 ever saw much use in Afghanistan.
I am aware of other rifles being used, but love it / hate it, there remain plenty of the M14EBR-RI in the mix.
I was told that this picture is not quite a year old.

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:12:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Evening

Theres.is a thread in the general firearm forum about weather or not the mk14 is obsolete. Is there anyway you can chime in on weather its still in use in theater? Thanks

S/F
Ryan

RON's reply
"Mk14 is a Navy gun, the SEALs still have them. The Army M14-EBR is in the process of being replaced but I believer they are still some in units."

Guess they are still over there. Although i'd question how much they are really used vs SCARs which are better at everything.

So ill chow on crow tonight.

Really similar to the m16a2. Only in use by units who get leftovers but really should be obsolete, technologicaly wise they are but they are still in use so technically they arent.

Link Posted: 9/25/2015 12:01:37 AM EDT
[#43]
I remember a member on here who was at baghdad airport with his issued m16.  If I recall, it wasn't even an A1.  He was AF.

Anyways......  lets just call a spade a spade.  If there are still some M39's or whatever version over serving, that's what they're doing.  Everytime a new platform comes out doesn't mean it replaces all other guns in service in that role, at that point.  It takes time.  And the new guns don't render the older version useless.  Like the firing pins all fell out because they heard the scar is better.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 12:18:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Fun to shoot...yes. Classic battle rifle...yes. Obselete...definitely.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 1:44:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Yes, it's obsolete, but you see plenty of people driving around in old obsolete muscle cars, hunt with bows & muzzle loaders, ect.

Just because something is obsolete, doesn't mean it's worthless, unusable, or undesirable.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 2:12:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Yes, it's obsolete, but you see plenty of people driving around in old obsolete muscle cars, hunt with bows & muzzle loaders, ect.

Just because something is obsolete, doesn't mean it's worthless, unusable, or undesirable.
View Quote

I wouldn't say they're irrelevant, just that their design made them very difficult to adapt to modern advancements. An adjustable stocked, railed, scoped M14 typically weighs more than a beefy bolt gun. That's fine for precision work, but makes any other type of shooting cumbersome.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 2:57:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The military "stop gap" is now on it's 15th year, and I'm not sure the MK14 ever saw much use in Afghanistan.
I am aware of other rifles being used, but love it / hate it, there remain plenty of the M14EBR-RI in the mix.

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa327/drewdasponge/ZeroDay_zps8c553998.jpg~original
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa327/drewdasponge/ZeroDay_zps8c553998.jpg~original

They where in use in Iraq as late as 2008 when I was there and being put to good use.

I like the M1A/M14 but not at the price they and the mags for them are going for.

Like others have said I would spend my $ on a AR10.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 6:47:05 AM EDT
[#48]

They are NOT obsolete.

At least we cleared that up.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 6:48:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

They where in use in Iraq as late as 2008 when I was there and being put to good use.

I like the M1A/M14 but not at the price they and the mags for them are going for.

View Quote

New USGI (CMI) 20 rounders sell for about $28.00 ea.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 6:50:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
[
I wouldn't say they're irrelevant, just that their design made them very difficult to adapt to modern advancements. An adjustable stocked, railed, scoped M14 typically weighs more than a beefy bolt gun. That's fine for precision work, but makes any other type of shooting cumbersome.
View Quote

The new Blackfeather "RS" shaves pounds off the weight of the SAGE EBR.
But since we are talking about the civilian M1A, and very few civilians run
rifles with modern electronics, so what are we really discussing here?

The rifle works, it's accurate & reliable, and the OP has always wanted one.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top