Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/10/2015 11:03:08 PM EDT
Hello guys I have a question for ya, I was thinking about getting a Mossberg MVP patrol rifle for SHTF, My question is about the rifle BTW.
It's about carrying 2 Rifles with a pistol for SHTF.

My plan was to get that rifle and use it for a long range rifle (500+ yards), WHILE carrying my AR as well.
The plus said to this is is takes the same mags & ammo so I wouldn't have to worry about carrying extra mags since they work in both.

But the question is should I Carry two rifles or only worry about 1 (plus pistol)?

Austin C.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:09:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't plan on carrying 2 rifles...

Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:14:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't plan on carrying 2 rifles...

View Quote

Please explain?
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:14:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Get about 25 extra pounds of weight put it in your pack and see how that feels humping through the bush for hours.

Get one and get good with it!
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:20:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Get about 25 extra pounds of weight put it in your pack and see how that feels humping through the bush for hours.

Get one and get good with it!
View Quote

really 25 pounds? If I was using that rifle and my AR all I would have to carry is 1 extra 30 round mag for the bolt and still have enough for the AR.
And like said it was just a question
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:22:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a good rifle and carry EXTRA ammo.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:25:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hello guys I have a question for ya, I was thinking about getting a Mossberg MVP patrol rifle for SHTF, My question is about the rifle BTW.

My plan was to get that rifle and use it for a long range rifle (500+ yards), WHILE carrying my AR as well.
The plus said to this is is takes the same mags & ammo so I wouldn't have to worry about carrying extra mags since they work in both.

But the question is should I Carry two rifles or only worry about 1 (plus pistol)?

Austin C.
View Quote

Probably be easier to get a kac or larue 18in gun with a troy pdw stock and then have a t1 on a larue mount and something like a leupold vxr patrol 4-12x50 also in a larue mount and just swap them as needed. Pretty slim chance you'll break either rifle and they'll be more accurate than you need. Saves you extra weight for extra ammo, a can and a backup bcg or something else.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:33:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Wtf do you plan on shooting 500+ yards out in shtf?

Get a good ar, get proficient with it, carry good ammo
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:47:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Professional soldiers carry only 1 rifle.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 3:21:56 AM EDT
[#9]
If the shtf, I'm carrying one rifle, one pistol, knife, and ammo for both guns. My brother and I can switch between my ar and our Greek sar8 for longer ranges, when we get it scoped. Don't burden yourself with to too much weight and hope to God you have a friend or family member to back you up with the long/short range option. If no backup, a properly setup ar can pull double duty.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 4:05:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Not really sure what the bolt gun in .223 could accomplish that an AR couldn't in that situation.  I could almost understand your logic( though still think it was poor) if you said something about a different caliber, but the same caliber is pointless.  Heck, if 500 yard accuracy is what you want, it really isn't hard at all to get that out of an AR, for not that much money.  

All this aside, have you ever walked a mile with one rifle and a sidearm?  F carrying two rifles.  Might as well carry a few bags of sand so you can improvise a defensive position or a stable rest.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 5:04:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 5:49:03 AM EDT
[#12]
IMO semi auto pistol (1911, large-capacity pistol like a XD),and/or close-range semi- or full-auto pistol (a la Uzi or similar package), and your Mossburg.

The mossy should be capable of being dropped immediately for a short-range threat.

In fact, lose the "standard" pistol and go with a  large -capacity Uzi-type* platform.

*I'm NOT stressing you must have an Uzi. I'm saying you're better off with a large-capacity or huge-capacity fast-repeating pistol.

Link Posted: 8/11/2015 9:03:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Austin C.
View Quote

My opinion would be for sake of weight and stuff hanging on to me, one rifle, one handgun (or 2 handguns as they're easier to carry).
Why not mount a scope on your AR for distance and 45 degree your irons and/or red dot (or whatever optics you use) for CQB.
plus I may think in SHTF scenario, it would be cool to have Denzel's "Book of Elli" knife (er. . sword?)  . :)
http://i.lv3.hbo.com/assets/images/movies/the-book-of-eli/the-book-of-eli-1024.jpg
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 9:33:20 AM EDT
[#14]
With your criteria I'd carry my 16" 6.5 Grendel, mine is MOA out to 700 yards + with 123 grain A-Max or 123 grain SST.  For a pistol I'd probably carry my Glock 43 since it is the smallest 9 MM I own.  All depends on the situation and I have many options.  My travel gun is a 16" Tavor usually with my Glock 43 if I'm on the road.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 10:02:06 AM EDT
[#15]
It's bad to carry an MVP because the MVP is a bad rifle.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 11:11:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Psssst....Call of Duty isn't real .

Besides the extra weight, that extra bulk of another full size rifle hang'n on ones shoulders(along with PC, pack, food, water, etc etc), might last all of 1/2 mile, before you'd be looking to stash it somewhere. Leave alone trying to fight with it still hang'n on ones body. The most I'd plan on carrying regarding a 3rd firearm(teamed with a LW 11.5" 6.5lb AR and G17) and if I'm on foot playing Road Warrior, would be a light weight .22 handgun(Ruger 22/45 Lite in my case). Even that might be a stretch long term. And hell, I'm pretty fit and an avid long distance backpacker.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 11:21:02 AM EDT
[#17]
If I had transportation and a bugout location I would bring multiple guns.

If not, I wouldn't. Ammo and a good rifle, and a good handgun.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 11:29:24 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd prefer a T-1 and a NF 2-10x both in QD mounts on a 12.5" AR.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 11:47:11 AM EDT
[#19]
- Pick one rifle (*cough* the AR *cough*)

- stock up on replacement parts (bolt, firing pin, etc,),

- stock up on ammo and mags

- ACTUALLY PRACTICE CARRYING AND SHOOTING RIFLE. Take some carbine courses, hike with a combat load if your area allows it, workout with a full combat load. Can you do these while carrying two rifles?

You can shoot 500+ yds with an AR if you do your part. No problem.

Link Posted: 8/11/2015 11:59:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Just buy a magnified optic and a Geissele SSA for the AR. No point for the MVP.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 12:27:25 PM EDT
[#21]
No....just call a "Time Out"...and go get your other rifle. You don't need  to carry it...

And No...unless you're in a vehicle, you are going to have a rifle and a sidearm. Just be rambo, pick up another gun from the dead bad guy if your primary goes down. And your pistol is to fight your way back to your rifle.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 1:44:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Professional soldiers carry only 1 rifle.
View Quote

And some have three uppers for the same lower..

But yeah, you pretty much would carry one and pack the other.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 2:49:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Just get the "Carry 5 Guns" perk, along with "Infinite Ammo," "Hard to Kill," and "Cold-Blooded."  That way, your SHTF enemies won't be able to spot you on thermal and you will be able to march through the wilderness bringing down tangos with impunity.

Oh, make sure one of those guns is an MP40...that one seems to be the most powerful.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 2:51:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah, that's tarded.

If SHTF, you'll be lucky to live through ONE full combat load of ammo.  Pretty much anything can go 200 rounds without a hiccup.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 4:28:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
<SNIP> . . .
pick up another gun from the dead bad guy if your primary goes down. And your pistol is to fight your way back to your rifle.
View Quote

Exactly.  This detail pisses me off in movies.  
Good guy runs around. . shooting, swapping mags,  shooting. .etc.. then drops his gun since it's empty.
um. . why do they hardly ever grab the guns of the people they already went through?  rifles, handguns. . take your pick.
plenty of ammo and options.  :)

Link Posted: 8/11/2015 9:21:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm going to go against the grain here and say carry at least 3 firearms on you, with plenty of ammo for each, ideally top of the line specialized ammo (JHP, TAP, whatever).

That way when someone stumbles across your body, they have their choice of what to take off you.  You clearly have no plan other than to wander randomly pretending you're in Walking Dead.

If you really want to prepare for a SHTF scenario, buy sizeable property, horses, hand tools, water collection and purification components, a cargo container buried in the ground, medicine, plant seeds, canned goods, fishing, hunting, trapping materials, and learn how to use all of it. And then have a plan B in case the S hitting the fan is CBRN, and your property is hazardous.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 2:59:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I plan on useing my Saiga12 for SHTF. Im building an ultra light 10.5" ar with a 1-4 scope to throw on my back. The AR will be a backup when I run out of 12 guage or if im pinned down and need to make a shot 100+ yards out. Anything that is to far away for a 10.5" ar to effectively engage should also be far enough to escape from.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Ive carried a 249 and a 1014 at the same time.

It wasnt fun

If I had to bug out on foot now as a civtizen I would not want to carry two longguns.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 5:10:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Austin C.
View Quote

Ar15 with a 2.5-10x scope and a good metal framed handgun, auto or revolver.

It will cover threats at any distance that is practical.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 5:14:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It wasnt fun

If I had to bug out on foot now as a civtizen I would not want to carry two longguns.
View Quote

How much was the combined weight. without ammo? 40 lbs?
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 6:51:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Do not understand op logic. The mvp is about 3/4 to 1 moa vs an ar 1-2 moa. How does grouping
3 inches vs 6 inches at 300 yards matter in shtf?

If your ar is so inaccurate you need to carry another rifle. Get your ar fixed.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 7:43:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Do not understand op logic. The mvp is about 3/4 to 1 moa vs an ar 1-2 moa. How does grouping

View Quote

If you can see a threat at 300 yds, better just sneak away...
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:44:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 9:13:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wasnt fun

Idk, 18lbs for saw, maybe 8ish for the 1014. It sucked.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 9:22:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What if your watching someone sneaking up on your daughter/wife/buddy, working in the garden. Through an optic they are definetly setting up a stalk. Or you are 300 yards away from  afox raiding the chicken coup, or you need to cross an open area due to a natural disaster, shall I go on?

oo maybe youre starving so your hunting along power lines

300 yards is not that far.

An AR should make a 300 yard shot easy. Good optics help you decide whether you need to shoot or not.

There are so many more scenarios that could justify a 300 yard shot in shtf i dont have the time to give them all
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 7:56:51 PM EDT
[#36]
This....is....silly.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:28:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This....is....silly.
View Quote

Yes it is.  This thread belongs in GD...
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 4:00:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It's bad to carry an MVP because the MVP is a bad rifle.
View Quote

Wrong...MVP patrol best rifle.....I carry that plus a AR or AK on
a alice frame...Moar is better...
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Obviously. I thought this was a given.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 6:03:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What if your watching someone sneaking up on your daughter/wife/buddy, working in the garden. Through an optic they are definetly setting up a stalk. Or you are 300 yards away from  afox raiding the chicken coup, or you need to cross an open area due to a natural disaster, shall I go on?

An AR should make a 300 yard shot easy. Good optics help you decide whether you need to shoot or not.

There are so many more scenarios that could justify a 300 yard shot in shtf i dont have the time to give them all
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok armchair commando. I see your logic.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:10:50 PM EDT
[#41]
At my old P.D. I was on S.R.T. We carried a Ar and duty handgun. Two guys carried breaching shotguns with their rifle and pistol. It was a load just with that short shotgun. I felt for them because the extra weight does suck but the wanted that spot on the team. Weight equals pain when you are on foot. I have seen guys come to training with a shit ton of gear and by the end of the day they are stripping down to only what is needed.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:49:11 PM EDT
[#42]
It's not a primary rifle when there's two of them...one primary and a secondary/auxiliary.

And no, that is a super shitty idea.

Ever been hunting and an animal just jumps up 50 yards from where you're at?

Get both rifles out, quick!  Errr, uhh, get just one of your two rifles, and do it quick!

Not happening, not in a timely manner anyway.

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:50:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:17:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Carrying 2 primaries should be reserved for video games.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 2:39:01 AM EDT
[#45]
lol

"two primary rifles" is an oxymoron.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 2:47:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Austin C.
View Quote

1. 500 yard is midrange, not long range.  You can kill men (if envetually) at 800 yards w/ an A2 rifle and M855.
2. an AR can and often is every bit as accurate as a bolt action rifle.  Just carry an AR w/ a nicer/heavier barrel if you want it to be more capable farther out, and carry Mk262 in the magazine in the gun in case you suddenly find you have kill someone at 500 yards in SHTF lol.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 9:03:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Don't forget your food and water!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 10:57:11 PM EDT
[#48]
What's going to be faster:

Transitioning to a handgun,

or

Transitioning to a second long gun strapped to your back?

Like someone else mentioned in this thread, I could only see carrying a second long gun if it was a short shotgun for breaching, and I had a team behind me.

MAYBE if I were lugging around a big bolt-action precision rifle I could see the use of a small PDW. But then you're humping the ammo for that too. And I ain't no sniper. And transition times are still going to suck.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 9:33:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Probably be easier to get a kac or larue 18in gun with a troy pdw stock and then have a t1 on a larue mount and something like a leupold vxr patrol 4-12x50 also in a larue mount and just swap them as needed. Pretty slim chance you'll break either rifle and they'll be more accurate than you need. Saves you extra weight for extra ammo, a can and a backup bcg or something else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Austin C.

To my knowledge there is no Leupold VX-R Patrol in 4-12x50mm.  I have a Patrol 3-9x40mm, however, and like it.  I do have it QD mounted (LaRue) and swap it with a QD mounted red dot, so I agree with the concept. The only VX-R in a 4-12x50mm is not a Patrol.  It does not have tactical turrets or reticle. In a pinch, you can use the Patrol's Firedot reticle as a red dot, both eyes open, like an ACOG Bindon Aiming Concept.  With a closed, yes, closed front lens cover, it is very quick.

Better yet is to include a small reflex sight like  Burris Fastfire 3 as a part of the Larue mount, like this.

Link Posted: 8/18/2015 9:44:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol
I was agreeing with you

Considering im one of the few here who has actual experience carrying 2 long guns you might want to check your lane kiddo.

Eta in regards to the above scenarios i gave 2 of them are common occurrences. Hunting along powerlines and shooting varmits at 300. Why would I not take those shots?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top