Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2015 10:40:13 PM EDT
Saw one the other day and now I want to buy it... I don't know anything about the .416 Caliber except that its legal in CA and the .50 isn't... I've always wanted a Barrett, but in .50, whats the advantage of .416 over it?
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:54:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Flatter trajectory at all ranges.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 12:30:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Saw one the other day and now I want to buy it... I don't know anything about the .416 Caliber except that its legal in CA and the .50 isn't... I've always wanted a Barrett, but in .50, whats the advantage of .416 over it?
View Quote

It's legal In CA.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:29:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Anybody own one? For me it would just be used as a steel plinker at the farthest possible range. In a SHTF scenario, would it be a good anti-material round or is .50 still better in that role?
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:50:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anybody own one? For me it would just be used as a steel plinker at the farthest possible range. In a SHTF scenario, would it be a good anti-material round or is .50 still better in that role?
View Quote

If you want it, buy it.

Needing to use a .50/.416 as an anti material rifle when shyf is rediculous
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 7:55:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If you want it, buy it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want it, buy it.

Unless you are building a Killdozer and need range overmatch on the Staties MRAPs. Then it totally makes sense.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 2:00:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I know the .50 has been (probably still) used as one means of disabling vehicles at range. Just wondering if the .416 has been used in that role at all.

I measured my safe this morning... gonna need a bigger and taller safe.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:18:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Curious what the price was
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Buy something else in 510 DTC for california legal big bore fun.

50 cal components are cheap by comparison to 416ProprietaryCarSalesman round.

Burn out barrels fast and through money faster is about the only advantage to the round if you cannot exploit the supersonic flight distance.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:04:08 PM EDT
[#9]
OP: I don't know where you live in Kalifornistan, but unless you are able to regularly visit a 1000 yard range you are basically throwing money away with every shot. I don't know about .416, but .50 doesn't even stabilize at ranges that most dirt shooters zero their weapons and shoot groups at. Even showing up at a 600 yard range is close.

I'd never give a guy shit for buying what he wants even if it's just because it's "badass", but if anti-materiel is the goal, where are you going to get practice shooting at moving vehicles?
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 12:04:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If you want it, buy it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want it, buy it.

But, is it ridiculous?
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 3:54:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Price is about 9k.

Longest range close to me is 600 yards, but there is open desert near my moms home in AZ that I've shot around before, which has flat areas for miles.

I'm not completely dedicated to the purchase yet, I just thought it looked like something I'd have fun shooting with. Anti-material isnt really the goal, I suppose I should have asked, has the .416 been used in that role, like the .50. Does the military even use the Barrett in .416?
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 4:26:15 AM EDT
[#12]
No, just 50.

I bet you'd be a lot happier with a smaller rifle
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 4:21:38 AM EDT
[#13]
nvm.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 4:29:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

But, is it ridiculous?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want it, buy it.

Needing to use a .50/.416 as an anti material rifle when shtf is ridiculous

But, is it ridiculous?

not as much as my spelling
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:55:16 AM EDT
[#15]
If you don't have the fundamentals of long range marksmanship down and your wanting to buy a gun compensate for that you're literally pissing money away.  Not trying to sound condescending but I've seen people drop that much or more on custom bolt guns who have trouble grouping at 100M let alone making hits beyond 500M.  There's a bit more that goes into shooting at longer ranges that will make the difference between a hit and a miss.

<ETA> Since you didn't post any info regarding your experience shooting at longer distances I'm assuming you've shot rounds out that far but not in a "precision" sense but more of a lob it and see what happens sense.  If I'm wrong and you've got a good bit of experience shooting long range than .416 might fill a void in your collection....but I know some great long range shooters who do impressive work on targets with much smaller calibers.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:40:50 AM EDT
[#16]
The .416 Barrett is a very accurate round. Don't hinder its accuracy by feeding it through the 82A1 style rifle. If you have to have the semi, get a 50DTC. If you have to have the 416, get a bolt gun.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:42:13 AM EDT
[#17]
You guys make some good points. 200yrd is the max for the range I usually frequent, though I have no trouble with grouping and hitting clays at that distance. I think I'll save my $$ for now and stick with my .308 rifles for now.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 6:31:07 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

You guys make some good points. 200yrd is the max for the range I usually frequent, though I have no trouble with grouping and hitting clays at that distance. I think I'll save my $$ for now and stick with my .308 rifles for now.
View Quote
Do you have a 22LR setup as a "trainer" rifle?  Ahooting 22LR at that distance can be quite the challenge.

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 3:44:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Do you have a 22LR setup as a "trainer" rifle?  Ahooting 22LR at that distance can be quite the challenge.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't. I do have an old tube fed semi-auto Marlin .22 rifle. I think I just might get a scope for my marlin and try that.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 8:00:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I have one but mine is 50bmg

I love it because it makes liberals cry every time I pull the trigger
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 5:03:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Maybe get a low recoil long range bolt gun, like a 6mm or 6.5 Creedmoor and practice a lot on wind doping.  

I am new to long range shooting.  I'm good at 400 yards with a 1,000 yard capable rifle.  But, I'm learning more every day about the mysteries of wind and elevation and temperature and all the other little things that make a big difference between hit and miss at longer ranges.  I would not presume to shoot a 50 BMG or the .416 Barrett at my level of proficiency.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top