Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2015 3:49:08 PM EDT
Anyone has a similar problem when removing the flash hider?  It's happened to me and to a buddy.

In neither case was the bbl vised but that really shouldn't matter. Turned the FH with an armourer's tool and the bbl spun out of the bbl extension....WTF?  IIRC the FH is torqued to about 20 ft/lbs and the bbl extension is at about 150.

Radical reps seem nice enough but gave me a story about Melonite?? Again, wtf? This, in my mind is physics. If a bbl extension is torqued properly there no way that a FH unscrewing is going to effect it. I mean the bbl liberally spun and I would have wrapped the gas tube around the bbl had I kept going. The bbl extension seemed to be torqued about the same as the FH???

Anyone seen this?  What's up with Radical. I had thought GTG but now have serious second thoughts.

Link Posted: 6/23/2015 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#1]
thread on it the other day where a guy had two of them do it. Seems to be a big problem with their barrels.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 4:03:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
thread on it the other day where a guy had two of them do it. Seems to be a big problem with their barrels.
View Quote

I'm wondering....the tech rep told me that Melonite is "slippery"....really?  It "slips" out of 150 ft/Lbs of torque when 20 lbs is applied?  That's essentially what I was told. I'm thinking some very serious QC issues over there.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 5:08:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm done with radical firearms.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 5:25:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Couple things to note:

- The Reaction Rod is great for a lot of things, but it should be understood that using one in this manner is simply transfering the same torque used on the flash hider to the barrel extension. Barrels should be clamped, not held by the extension.

- The order of operations in making a barrel relies on a proper and permanent torquing of the barrel extension. The gas hole and front site alignment are indexed off the TDC of the extension, which requires the extension remain absolutely fixed in place once torqued. In almost all cases of extension removal, especially after an improperly torqued extension has come loose, the gas hole and front sight will no longer align properly.

Think about it. If the gas hole were drilled with the extension torqued at, say, 90 pounds then the extension were removed and retorqued to 150 pounds, the gas hole will now be pointing somewhere to the upper left rather than straight up. A few pounds of difference is all it takes to cause misalignment.

That barrel should not be repaired but replaced.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 5:38:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I just took my maad mount off of my radical firearms barrel and reapplied it to the barrel after changing out the gas block and the ff tube yesterday. I bought the barrel about 1.5 months ago. I also did use the geissele reaction rod and did not have any problems what so ever. Took it to the range today and it ran like a scalded dog. Radical has told me they have a lifetime warranty on things that are not abuse. I hope I don't have to rely on their word now. I was thinking about a thread I read yesterday about the extension coming lose the whole time I was taking it apart. Thankfully, I didn't have any problems with mine. If you buy it through Primary Arms, they will certainly take care of you.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 5:42:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Couple things to note:

- The Reaction Rod is great for a lot of things, but it should be understood that using one in this manner is simply transfering the same torque used on the flash hider to the barrel extension. Barrels should be clamped, not held by the extension.

- The order of operations in making a barrel relies on a proper and permanent torquing of the barrel extension. The gas hole and front site alignment are indexed off the TDC of the extension, which requires the extension remain absolutely fixed in place once torqued. In almost all cases of extension removal, especially after an improperly torqued extension has come loose, the gas hole and front sight will no longer align properly.

That barrel should not be repaired but replaced.
View Quote

Agreed but I've done plenty where I was able to make it work. This one has a micro block which is a lot more forgiving as it's under the rail, only ports gas and doesn't have a relationship to the front sight.  This will work fine as long as they're within a degree or two of TDC.

My concern is that it left the factory this way....
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 6:39:43 PM EDT
[#8]
It happened on my 300 BLK upper when I was removing and installing an AAC mount using a receiver block. I sent it in for repair - they turned it around the same day they received it - but it concerns me and I might sell it once I verify that it's operating properly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top