Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2015 11:11:27 AM EDT

I got this rifle from Atlantic back when they were first released in their Gen2 form (I think Jan/Feb timeframe) and have a lot of time behind it; here's what I've found:

Sustains:
-Takes the VAST majority of standard AK mags (all the specifics are in the video)
-100% reliable with the mags that function in it (see above)
-Accurate
-Has optics rail and doesn't require a claw mount
-Extrememly light recoiling
-Uses a proven operating system
-Fit/finish are very good
-Accepts the majority of G3 accessories on the market
-Good host for a full auto sear
-Barrel is threaded (15x1) for HK sytle muzzle devices and supressors
-Much cheaper way to shoot a delayed roller type action than most that are chambered in 308

Improves:
-It's heavy (just under 10lbs) however this aids in the very low recoil impulse
-Barrel isn't CL/nitrided; of course that would add cost

Here's the full review with lots of shooting, accuracy testing, and a discussion of the specs and pros/cons:

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 1:54:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Going to tag this as a coworker will go apeshit over this. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:54:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I think that cantilever mount is on backwards?
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 12:17:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Depends how ones eye to scope relief is. I have one "backward" as you say since the other way doesn't give me correct eye relief.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 12:11:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 12:30:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for your review. You know I noticed on your youtube review in the comments section there's a good deal of comments in there asking things like why buy one over a mid-higher end AK, or even what advantages it has over a WASR...to me, some people just don't get it.  

As you pointed out, the rifle is heavier, but that helps out (along with the operating system) in keeping the recoil very low, even with a collapsible G3A4 stock on there.  

Most people will prefer that the PTR has a safety selector on the left hand side like an AR15/M16 as opposed to the opposite side of the gun on an AK.

The iron sights alone for the vast, vast majority of people will be far easier to use than the open U notch AK sights than are set far away from the shooter's eye on a standard AK. It really surprises me that nobody seems to bring this up very often. Also I don't know about anyone else, but when I fire AKs, it seems like there is a lot of gas escaping as well as heat vapors as the barrel warms up; these two things tend to work together to make it more difficult to see/focus on the AK's iron sights and can be pretty frustrating when trying to focus on a smaller target or one that is farther away than 100 yards (at least for me).

The gun seems more accurate with common Wolf or steel cased ammo, which most people will be shooting through the gun.

Plenty of accessories available for these, and looks like they come standard with the rail on top.

A WASR is certainly going to be cheaper without question, but I have a hard time believing the average person is going to find the WASR easier to aim and shoot with than the PTR 32, or that the WASR will be as comfortable recoil wise. But to each their own I guess...a $1000 dollar rifle is reasonably expensive , and not everybody can afford that or would want to spend that much money on a gun in 7.62x39.

Thanks for the information at the end of the video  also about the different mags you tried in the gun, much appreciated!  

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 9:48:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Depends how ones eye to scope relief is. I have one "backward" as you say since the other way doesn't give me correct eye relief.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 1:02:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thank you for your review. You know I noticed on your youtube review in the comments section there's a good deal of comments in there asking things like why buy one over a mid-higher end AK, or even what advantages it has over a WASR...to me, some people just don't get it.  

As you pointed out, the rifle is heavier, but that helps out (along with the operating system) in keeping the recoil very low, even with a collapsible G3A4 stock on there.  

Most people will prefer that the PTR has a safety selector on the left hand side like an AR15/M16 as opposed to the opposite side of the gun on an AK.

The iron sights alone for the vast, vast majority of people will be far easier to use than the open U notch AK sights than are set far away from the shooter's eye on a standard AK. It really surprises me that nobody seems to bring this up very often. Also I don't know about anyone else, but when I fire AKs, it seems like there is a lot of gas escaping as well as heat vapors as the barrel warms up; these two things tend to work together to make it more difficult to see/focus on the AK's iron sights and can be pretty frustrating when trying to focus on a smaller target or one that is farther away than 100 yards (at least for me).

The gun seems more accurate with common Wolf or steel cased ammo, which most people will be shooting through the gun.

Plenty of accessories available for these, and looks like they come standard with the rail on top.

A WASR is certainly going to be cheaper without question, but I have a hard time believing the average person is going to find the WASR easier to aim and shoot with than the PTR 32, or that the WASR will be as comfortable recoil wise. But to each their own I guess...a $1000 dollar rifle is reasonably expensive , and not everybody can afford that or would want to spend that much money on a gun in 7.62x39.

Thanks for the information at the end of the video  also about the different mags you tried in the gun, much appreciated!  

View Quote

In any thread that reviews or questions a "different" rifle, there will always, always be the derpy "what does this do that a 'quality' XXXXXX doesn't?" crowd.

As you said, they just don't get it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 2:37:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 2:57:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is the chamber fluted?
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 9:51:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I enjoyed the video. I'm now educated on a rifle I didn't know existed before. Thank you ARFCOM and thank you plouffedaddy!
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Love mine.  I put a Ta33 on it

Refreshing change to the AK in x39 IMO

ETA:   Good review !

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:39:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Is this the same company that used to make a pistol caliber version?  Wasn't there one called a Bobcat in .40 or something like that?????  Or 9mm?  If so, do they still?
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:24:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Its one of the best "fun guns" made

https://youtu.be/Q--7wERIy2U

Link Posted: 6/11/2015 11:14:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Awesome!
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 2:58:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for that review, I'd looked at the gen 1 32s but wrote it off when I heard of all the mag compatibility issues. Now the gen 2s are compatible with all the mag types I run. which is good cause one of my local gun shops just got three of them in and I walked out the door with a new PTR32 for $975. Always been a fan of the G3 action, this is by far the cheapest way to buy and feed one. Mine came with a Magpul AK mag.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 3:34:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 3:35:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Mr. Guns,

Thanks for posting.  I'm a fan of your channel.  Thanks for putting out such good content.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 8:36:34 AM EDT
[#18]
will any of the surefire forends fit on the pistol model? MP5? HK53?
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 12:45:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the blurb in your OP.

How high is the chin / cheek weld with that claw mount?
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 12:01:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
will any of the surefire forends fit on the pistol model? MP5? HK53?
View Quote

The surefire 628 (mp5 model) will fit on the PTR PDW, like the one pictured above with the 4 drum mags just below it.  On the other rifle length ones, the forends look longer.....

I agree abt the PTR comments and this rifle has quickly become my favorite...
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 7:12:59 AM EDT
[#21]
NOT TOO MUCH MUZZLE RISE IN FULL AUTO. LOOKS VERY CONTROLLABLE. SOMETHING I WOULD LOVE TO TAKE FOR A RIDE.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top