Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2015 1:08:15 PM EDT
I have a DPMS A3 Lite that I converted over to 6.8spc. The lower has 5.56/.223 stamped on it. The barrel has 6.8spc II stamped on it, but it's covered by the FSP. So anyone picking it up will see, if they even look, or take for granted it's a 5.56 rifle.

How do some of you go about marking your rifle so that it will reflect the correct caliber or do you even bother?

I did a so-so stencil marking on the right side of the mag well, it's clearly legible. Or should I not worry about it as I don't foresee anyone using or taking this rifle without me being present unless its stolen.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:10:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a DPMS A3 Lite that I converted over to 6.8spc. The lower has 5.56/.223 stamped on it. The barrel has 6.8spc II stamped on it, but it's covered by the FSP. So anyone picking it up will see, if they even look, or take for granted it's a 5.56 rifle.

How do some of you go about marking your rifle so that it will reflect the correct caliber or do you even bother?

I did a so-so stencil marking on the right side of the mag well, it's clearly legible. Or should I not worry about it as I don't foresee anyone using or taking this rifle without me being present unless its stolen.
View Quote

Shoot the damned rifle.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:43:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

You answered your own question. What's the issue IF no one shoots it without you being present?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:03:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I use an electric engraver to write the cartridge on the inside of the dust cover.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:14:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:43:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Who made the barrel with the caliber info covered by the FSB?  I have a Bushmaster 10.5 inch barrel marked under the handguard, but can't understand why a FSB would cover a caliber marking.

Paladin
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:17:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I used a dust cover with the caliber marked on it for my .300 AAC BLK build.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:38:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I work with a guy the goes to Walmart and has dog tags made for each of his uppers. Tag with caliber gets attached, usually to the sling swivel. I just know what I have.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:11:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I just know what mine are, but if I had to pick the marked ejection port covers are simple and cheap and would still catch your eye.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 2:11:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Here is another option.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:30:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Like. There needs to be a like button on here.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I have ARs in a half of a dozen different calibers, but they are all so different from each other I have no problem remembering the caliber, although as I get older I should probably look into a way to mark them and the magazines.

A friend of mine ka-boomed a .223 bolt action rifle by putting a .17 center fire cartridge in it (I think.. See? I already can't remember crap.)  Anyway, both of his rifles were nearly identical. Same model, different caliber.

eta: It was a ,17 Remington CZ 527 that he had put a .221 Fireball into. .

Yeah, my memory is crap. I need to start marking some stuff
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 1:47:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Is there any legal requirement to do so?
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:56:40 PM EDT
[#14]

write the caliber on the barrel.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:19:50 AM EDT
[#15]
I used a hand-cut stencil and some OD AlumaHyde II spray paint to mark both sides of the mag well in 1" numerals. I own...umm...a couple ARs and it IS too easy to mistake one for the other after a while.

Besides, someday you may have a child or grandchild that inherits that gun. How do you want them to find out what cartridge it is chambered for?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:03:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:23:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I use colors, my 5.56 AR has black handguards & black furniture. My 1st 7.62x39 AR has tan furniture/rail covers, 9mm has rust colored handgaurds, 5.45x39 is blue & grey, last 7.62x39 AR is green. i color code my mags as well.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:36:18 PM EDT
[#18]
^
|

Interesting concept
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:15:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

No.  

Camo paint it along with the 6.8 mags, easily distinguished from the others, problem solved.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:53:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't mean to be terse or Captain Obvious about it, but mark it any way you want.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 12:40:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Guess I'm boring, my 12 AR's are all the same caliber.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 10:02:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not that I'm aware of.  Some manufacturers make a "multi" marked lower, and that tells you nothing about which upper is currently in place.

Personally, I'd find a spot on the upper to designate the caliber.  That way if it's used on the different lower for whatever reason, the caliber travels with it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 2:26:45 PM EDT
[#23]
I only have two calibers, but for the 6.8 it's FDE, and the .223 Wylde is black.

Now, they also have different hand guards, the 6.8 is on a S&W lower, and the .223 Wylde is on a PSA.

Also the .223 Wylde and my son's 5.56 gun both use the Lancer smoke mags, and the 6.8 uses PRI mags, so plastic vs steel, and it's easy to tell the mags apart in the dark.

Now, I think what the OP is getting at, is if something were to happen to him, or say he has kids that may not be as familiar, but know enough about guns, and are old enough, that they have access to them without having to ask, how would he deal with that.

To that, the caliber needs to be marked on the outside of the upper and mags clearly.

For the upper , that bolt release looked like the deal. For the mags, get a stencil set and just lay the appropriate numbers on the mag and spray it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 7:04:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I did this to it, the bottom one is a LAR-6.8
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 9:06:09 AM EDT
[#25]
This thread reminds me before I add 300blk to my collection, I better figure out my own way to designate it's caliber.  300blk is based off a .223 case, so the only obvious sign is bore diameter.  It would be hard to see inside a flash hider.

The method I was planning on using would involve different colored hardware, so it sticks out from all my other black rifles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top