MP 15 Sport $3,500
MP 15 .22 $880
Sig Sauer sig m400 $2,500
Bushmaster Xm15-e2s $2,400
Mossberg MMR $1,700
CMMG modelo MK-4 $1,700
DPMS A 15 $2,400

I wanted an AR 15 kind of gun.

Now a friend offered me his Ruger mini 14 for $900 but it is used.
Wooden stock, 30 rd mag.
Is this a nice rifle and can it be made into a tactical rifle?
can it be converted to shoot 22 caliber?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:44:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:07:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Mini-14s have a reputation for being minute-of-barn accurate.

Suggest you stick with the AR platform.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Mini-14s have a reputation for being minute-of-barn accurate.

Suggest you stick with the AR platform.
View Quote

Best shot gun Ruger makes.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:39:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I would not buy the 14.  Buy once cry once, take that sig home and be happy.  If they are no longer able to be imported you may regret not having one.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:18:18 PM EDT
[#5]
The Sig is the best deal of the AR's you mentioned.

The mini-14 is a very reliable weapon... As long as you have factory magazines as Stick mentioned.

I grew up shooting mini-14's as my dad and neighbor had one and took down my first deer with one (about 100 yards away).

I don't recall it ever a stoppage and it seemed accurate enough.

I had one for about 10 years and didn't shoot it much and I'm much happier with my AR's as they are better than a mini in every way.

But I would trust one and feel they get an unwarranted bad rap.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:30:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:41:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks , very useful info, will stick with AR platform
Buy once cry once is better.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:43:29 PM EDT
[#8]
surprised by the minute of barn accurate claim, the 1 iv'e shot was like a laser, went 10 for 10 on the clays i had set up at 100 yards that day.

but on topic, for the prices you're talking about it may be worth picking up,  but it's not an AR.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:22:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I own a mini and ARs. ARs are  better.  Minis all depend on the serial number. Early ones (serial numbers that start with 180 and 181) shoot very poorly without modifications. 580 and other later numbers are much better out of the box. If you're looking for a defensive rifle for Costa Rica ranges a mini could be fine. If you want something you can tinker with and modify, get an AR.

Minis cannot be converted to shoot .22. They are a tactical rifle, if you define tactical as usefullness for combat.  You would want to buy several Ruger brand 20 round mags. Most 30 round mags are not reliable for Minis.

Minis also tend to get left out of "assault rifle" bans because stupid people judge guns by what they look like instead  of what they do.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:36:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I own a mini and ARs. ARs are  better.  Minis all depend on the serial number. Early ones (serial numbers that start with 180 and 181) shoot very poorly without modifications. 580 and other later numbers are much better out of the box. If you're looking for a defensive rifle for Costa Rica ranges a mini could be fine. If you want something you can tinker with and modify, get an AR.

Minis cannot be converted to shoot .22. They are a tactical rifle, if you define tactical as usefullness for combat..  You would want to buy several Ruger brand 20 round mags. Most 30 round mags are not reliable for Minis.
View Quote

Ciener makes 22 conversation kits for Minis.
http://www.22lrconversions.com/mini-pg.htm
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:41:09 PM EDT
[#11]
To me the Ruger Mini 14 and Mini 30 were America's version of the Kalishnikov
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:00:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Im in the search of my first AR
Im in Costa Rica and my options are

MP 15 Sport $3,500
MP 15 .22 $880
Mossberg MMR $1,700
CMMG modelo MK-4 $1,700
DPMS A 15 $2,400

Wooden stock, 30 rd mag.
View Quote

Yes they can be converted to shoot .22 caliber .  J. Arthur Center makes a good conversion kit. As far as tactical ,  there are replacement  stock available  that provide some of the functions. I had one for many years, very good solid gun but not as accurate as an ar-15 if you're looking for a tac driver. I never had problems  with  the  magazines Except  that hey were more expensive .  The new production models are supposed  to be more accurate .

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:05:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

How so? It is really just a miniature copy of the US M-14 rifle wich was basically a version of M-1 Garand.
As far as the original question, I prefere the mini the way it is. There is one country, I forget wich one bermuda, that uses mini 14s with a choate pistol grip stock. If you can get factory 20 and 30rnd mags in your country, then a mini can lay down the same fire power as an AR15. Of course ARs and easier to mount optics and lights and stuff, you just need to ask your self what you want to do with it. I have a newer mini with regular stock and a rail / light mount that clamps onto the barrel, no other accessories, just a light and sling... all I need.
Before you dismiss the mini read how many government agencies use it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_Mini-14
One more thing, CHECK THE BARREL! Changing a barrel on a mini is not a do-it-yourself job.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:13:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:23:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

MP 15 Sport $3,500
MP 15 .22 $880
Mossberg MMR $1,700
CMMG modelo MK-4 $1,700
DPMS A 15 $2,400

Wooden stock, 30 rd mag.
View Quote

Wow.....at those prices all I can say is that I'm proud to be an American!

It is also comical that the S&W Sport is the most expensive of your options, as that is about the cheapest AR15 type you can buy here!  Are you sure it was the Sport version with no dust cover or forward assist?  

I agree with the other poster that the Sig M400 is the best value out of the ARs listed.  

However, I also wouldn't write off the Mini-14 right away either, especially if you have access to or can get factory magazines without too much expense / hassle.  I view the original Mini-14 like I view the original M16A1.  A nice light handy KISS military pattern rifle.  It should be able to do just about everything you want to do with a rifle, unless you want to get all crazy / tacticool with putting unneeded junk on your gun to weigh it down.  Unless the barrel is well worn, it should be plenty accurate for typical engagement ranges (0 - 300 yrds).  How many long distance shots could you even expect to have in Costa Rica anyway?

One thing I would heavily consider is commonality and logistics with local police and military.  What rifles do they use in Costa Rica?  If they use ARs, you may want to consider the AR for pure logistics purposes.  If SHTF, magazines, etc would be plentiful to help you resupply.  If SHTF is not a concern for you, then I would seriously consider the Mini, pending magazine cost/ availability.    
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:25:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I never knew you could convert a mini to. 22lr. You can also add a rail section to the wooden stock fairly simply.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:33:55 AM EDT
[#17]
I know in your other thread, you said that CR was banning AR's, is that the oly rifle they are banning? I think you also mentioned just the lowers/complete rifles and if so, are you still able to get uppers and parts? The only reason I bring this up is because you may want to look into the ARES Defense SCR. Basically it's an AR upper with a traditional style rifle stock.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:49:02 AM EDT
[#18]
The new law is very generic, it says any weapon that looks lie a military weapon, will not be allowed to be imported.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:46:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't operate operationally so I don't hang all kinds of useless to me crap on my gun,
So for me the Mini 14 works very well as it is.
AR's will be a little more accurate than a mini 14 just because of the design of the guns.
Also, the Mini has that traditional look if you need that to comply with incoming laws.

The M&P 15/22 you have listed are really fun, accurate, reliable, AR looking rifles and I wouldn't hesitate to get one of those.
Also, there wouldn't be anything wrong with the CMMG model MK-4 and probably the best buy on your list.
I would stay away from the Mossberg MMR.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:06:13 PM EDT
[#20]
That tapco or ati or what ever stock that has been posted a few times is shit. Don't waste your money, the plastic ruger stock and houge over molded stocks are a million times better. If it is a tapered barrel model they shoot good. Mine is in the neighborhood hood of a 2moa rifle. Not living in the US I wouldn't buy one as my only semi auto. If the firing pin or bolt fails ruger has to install replacement parts. There are a few old salt gun smiths that can do this also. What serial number range is the one you are considering? Anything 581 and higher is what you are after.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Again, buy the sig
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:49:13 PM EDT
[#22]
My 182 series Mini-14 has an Ultimak rail, with a Streamlight TLR-1 mounted in front of an EOTech.  About as AR-like in function as a Mini can be, and the Minute of Barn aholes have never shot my riflle...

Paladin
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 3:36:23 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a CMMG rifle and have been very happy with it. It's my main 'go-to' rifle and I would trust it without hesitation.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 4:34:11 AM EDT
[#24]
If you go into the mini 14 expecting an ar, you are going to be so absolutely, hilariously disappointed.

The mini 14 is marginal for what it is (or was), which is a cheaply made, up to 100 yard plinker, and while you can spend a good chunk of change to accurize it to the level of a non free float ar15, by that time you could have gotten a free float handguard, and maybe a decent scope, and assuming you do your part, you can still get better groups with an ar

Of your list, i would get the sig, with the cmmg a close second.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 4:38:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

It's not
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 5:55:59 AM EDT
[#26]
OP, can you get a stripped lower? If so, just build your own for less than $1000.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 4:58:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would not buy the 14.  Buy once cry once, take that sig home and be happy.  If they are no longer able to be imported you may regret not having one.
View Quote

Shit the mini 14's are more then a good AR right now
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:50:12 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

MP 15 Sport $3,500

MP 15 .22 $880

Mossberg MMR $1,700

CMMG modelo MK-4 $1,700

DPMS A 15 $2,400

Wooden stock, 30 rd mag.

View Quote

Primero, cuanto tu quiere pagar?

I'd do the CMMG Mk4 if you can affors it. It is a decent quality AR-15. Throw a conversion bolt in it and it is .22LR ready.

The Mini-14 is a decent rifle. I've owned them and want another. As long as you use factory 20rd and 30rd mags you'll be good to go. They're accurate enough for self defense, hunting, and plinking.

How hard is it to get additional magazines for either rifle in Costa Rica? What about ammo and parts?
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:14:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Would trust my life, with this one.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:29:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Mini in a SCAR stock

ProMag Archangel Sparta stock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top