Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2015 3:05:50 AM EDT
I have about $400-$500 I'm going to spend on some gun stuff. I'm a broke student so I'm always looking to get the most bang for buck, literally. First, I've been seriously looking at getting a yugo mauser.
The one I'm looking at is going for $280 and is in very good condition. I intend to eventually reload for it and try and squeeze as much accuracy as possible out of it. Second, as far as reloading goes.. I've been planning to reload for a while, and just now got my press, powder, a quality powder measure and a portable workman's bench to load on. I'd say I'm about halfway there, price-wise. I buy quality equipment and another $250 would have my first batch of hand loads in my hand. Third, I have all the parts I need for my first AR build and they're all top notch.. It's gonna be an A grade gun when it's together. I have 90% of what I need. Just need a few more tools. $150 would take care of that, maybe even less, without sacrificing quality.

So it comes down to this. Should I go with option A or B?
A) Yugo Mauser, With ~250 rounds Ammo
B) First AR Completed, With Complete Reloading Setup for 5.56

It seems the Mauser would scratch and itch i've had for a LONG time. I've always loved milsurps and want one representing each major ww2 power eventually. I feel like this particular deal is too good to pass up.. it's calling me. The deal could be gone tomorrow and milsurps are just gonna keep going up in price. I'm kicking myself for passing up a deal like this on a k31 still.

On the other hand, there are two projects I've been working on for 2 years that would be completed. I feel like it's almost irresponsible to put it off.. I have a lot of "projects" lol. Also, the build would be an "Evil Black Rifle", and in the political climate we are in, I feel like they could "never be seen again" much like the days of abundant, cheap milsurp rifles.

Let me know what you guys think. Every opinion is welcome and thanks for your time!
-MP223
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:29:11 AM EDT
[#1]
To me a Mauser is a collector/antique gun. I'm solely into functional, modern guns, and ones that I can easily find ammo or reloading components for. I don't see why you wouldn't finish your modern rifle and reloading projects first.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:44:08 AM EDT
[#2]
B

It sounds like you are starting out with owing your own guns

Buy the practical firearms first, carbine, concealed handgun, shotgun, then become proficient with those, then play with c&r's
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:11:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Easy - B
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:32:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd get the Mauser.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:17:36 AM EDT
[#5]
FINISH your projects.

Quoted:
I have about $400-$500 I'm going to spend on some gun stuff. I'm a broke student so I'm always looking to get the most bang for buck, literally. First, I've been seriously looking at getting a yugo mauser.
The one I'm looking at is going for $280 and is in very good condition. I intend to eventually reload for it and try and squeeze as much accuracy as possible out of it. Second, as far as reloading goes.. I've been planning to reload for a while, and just now got my press, powder, a quality powder measure and a portable workman's bench to load on. I'd say I'm about halfway there, price-wise. I buy quality equipment and another $250 would have my first batch of hand loads in my hand. Third, I have all the parts I need for my first AR build and they're all top notch.. It's gonna be an A grade gun when it's together. I have 90% of what I need. Just need a few more tools. $150 would take care of that, maybe even less, without sacrificing quality.

So it comes down to this. Should I go with option A or B?
A) Yugo Mauser, With ~250 rounds Ammo
B) First AR Completed, With Complete Reloading Setup for 5.56

It seems the Mauser would scratch and itch i've had for a LONG time. I've always loved milsurps and want one representing each major ww2 power eventually. I feel like this particular deal is too good to pass up.. it's calling me. The deal could be gone tomorrow and milsurps are just gonna keep going up in price. I'm kicking myself for passing up a deal like this on a k31 still.

On the other hand, there are two projects I've been working on for 2 years that would be completed. I feel like it's almost irresponsible to put it off.. I have a lot of "projects" lol. Also, the build would be an "Evil Black Rifle", and in the political climate we are in, I feel like they could "never be seen again" much like the days of abundant, cheap milsurp rifles.

Let me know what you guys think. Every opinion is welcome and thanks for your time!
-MP223
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:45:48 AM EDT
[#6]
B
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:10:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I take a different approach.  I keep buying things I think will be hard to get later or increase in value and have a ton of unfinished projects.  For instance I bought 2 pre ban AR pistol lowers to build on each of a 5.56 and 9mm 7-10" pistols with Sig Braces.  I was dead set on doing that and invested an insane $3700 on the 2 lowers..  Then a pair of pre ban Colt 20" AR's became available and guess what I did?  Dammit I will finish my 30-40 project guns as soon as there are no other guns left for sale in the world.

So buy the Mauser if it's a great price or hard to find.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:30:48 AM EDT
[#8]
B.

I have Mausers I never shoot.  Much rather put in range time with the AR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top