Quoted:
What makes you say that...source?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Quoted:

Jeeper21

I believe Rem said they would do commercial sales ONLY if it becomes a Mil/LE success...

Oh god, the stupidity.
Sometimes I wonder how in the hell companies like Remington manage to stay afloat after so many stupid decisions that regard screwing over the Civilian market. No Law Enforcement Agency or Military would ever want to adopt the ACR. Remington better be getting a corporate restructuring and new management soon or else they will go the way of Colt.

No source, just common sense.

The Ar-15 platform currently rules the world of Assault Rifles, carbines, and regular old rifles. It's a far better value for militaries, or law enforcement agencies to adopt a Ar-15 platform and benefit from the large consumer support of spare parts and accessories that follow it. A $1,500 dollar Ar-15 is the better value over the ACR, which is the same cost. However there is less incentive to adopt the ACR, a lot less considering the talking points mentioned previously.

If a military does adopt the ACR, which I highly doubt unless that military or Private Army has a shitload of money flowing out their wahzoo to be able to afford such amenities, then I will gladly eat my words.

If I were Remington, I know banking on LEO/Military Sales would result in going the way of Colt. It's not going to be a pleasant future. I would have more success if I went the commercial route and just started selling the ACRs willy-nilly to every Bob, Joe, and Schmoe that had the money to buy it while marketing the damn thing aggressively.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 9:46:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The Ar-15 platform currently rules the world of Assault Rifles, carbines, and regular old rifles. It's a far better value for militaries, or law enforcement agencies to adopt a Ar-15 platform and benefit from the large consumer support of spare parts and accessories that follow it. A $1,500 dollar Ar-15 is the better value over the ACR, which is the same cost. However there is less incentive to adopt the ACR, a lot less considering the talking points mentioned previously.

If a military does adopt the ACR, which I highly doubt unless that military or Private Army has a shitload of money flowing out their wahzoo to be able to afford such amenities, then I will gladly eat my words.

If I were Remington, I know banking on LEO/Military Sales would result in going the way of Colt. It's not going to be a pleasant future. I would have more success if I went the commercial route and just started selling the ACRs willy-nilly to every Bob, Joe, and Schmoe that had the money to buy it while marketing the damn thing aggressively.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jeeper21

I believe Rem said they would do commercial sales ONLY if it becomes a Mil/LE success...

Oh god, the stupidity.

Sometimes I wonder how in the hell companies like Remington manage to stay afloat after so many stupid decisions that regard screwing over the Civilian market. No Law Enforcement Agency or Military would ever want to adopt the ACR. Remington better be getting a corporate restructuring and new management soon or else they will go the way of Colt.

Granted, it's not "adopted" but they are used by a military.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2012/05/30/remington-acr-deployed-in-afganistan-with-polish-sf/
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 10:49:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2012/05/30/remington-acr-deployed-in-afganistan-with-polish-sf/

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jeeper21

Oh god, the stupidity.

Were used once 3 years ago in a very limited capacity, and not a peep since.

Link Posted: 8/10/2015 10:51:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have been looking at piston rifles other than AR's and lately looking seriously at the Bushmaster ACR.

I know it is is heavy and has little after market products, but I like the looks and the design.

Does anyone have any experience wit the ACR that would help in my decision.
View Quote

Elkman: got your IM and replied but your inbox is full.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 7:38:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Inbox is now empty.

Sorry, didn't realize it was full.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 12:43:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Big +1 on wanting Geissele to make a handguard.

Never seen a more hated rifle than the ACR. And 99 percent of the hate has nothing to do with the rifle. It's all about Bushmaster.
View Quote

it's about magpul abandoning it.
it's about 1:9
it's about an M4 profile barrel
it's about being front heavy
it's about the  quick change barrel being slow to market
It's about the price point taking into account the lack of features
It's NOT about bushmaster
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 2:38:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never seen a more hated rifle than the ACR. And 99 percent of the hate has nothing to do with the rifle. It's all about Bushmaster.

Ummmm.......pretty sure Magpul sold the rights to Bushmaster.

So everything you mentioned that is wrong (in your opinion) with the ACR (which is easily fixed) would be because of decisions that were made on behalf of Bushmaster in their production. Would it not?
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 3:05:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So everything you mentioned that is wrong (in your opinion) with the ACR (which is easily fixed) would be because of decisions that were made on behalf of Bushmaster in their production. Would it not?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have the slightest idea what you're trying to say.
The hate is directed at the rifle b/c of the things I mentioned. Nobody cares that's bushmaster that's the company producing it.
People aren't bashing the ACR b/c bushmaster is gay or so 90s or not tier 1 or whatever. Nobody cares about bushmaster, they care about the perceived flaws of the rifle itself.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of those poor market and product decisions are definitely about Bushmaster. Magpul never had the capability to manufacture the rifle anyway.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 3:26:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 3:51:58 PM EDT
[#11]
The thing is, if and when Bushmaster pulls its' head out of its' ass, the ACR could become a big player again. Adco and Marvin Pitts already offer barrel servicing. Geissele is jumping in starting with prototypes. RemDef might be offering parts for sale separately.

Nobody is advocating the ACR replace the ARs in any one person's collection, so there's no reason to take things super seriously. It's a fun and interesting firearm with some great features. I have legitimate complaints, but it's not a deal breaker at the current $1500 price point.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 3:56:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Guess I wasn't clear.

I feel the things that are disliked about the ACR, such as the 1/9 twist, barrel profile, cost, etc., were a direct result of Bushmasters decisions concerning production.

I'm not saying people don't like it because it says Bushmaster on the side. Although if it said Magpul Masada on the side, I bet it would have gotten more fanfare.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 4:28:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I really hope the ACR works long-term. I'd really like one, but I can't bring myself to buy a $1500 base rifle then spend another K to replace major components to get what I want.
View Quote

This
$1199 and a $300 Geissele rail and a muzzle device is what I'd be comfortable doing.
Reprofile a barrel outta the gate on a $1500 rifle? No thanks.
PS, 1:9 doesn't really bother me as it'd be a range toy anyways shooting steel or 55g crap
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 4:46:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Where did you hear this?

I think the base design of the ACR is very promising. I will say that the ACR fans are among the most ingenious of any of the MSR crowds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The thing is, if and when Bushmaster pulls its' head out of its' ass, the ACR could become a big player again. Adco and Marvin Pitts already offer barrel servicing. Geissele is jumping in starting with prototypes. RemDef might be offering parts for sale separately.

Nobody is advocating the ACR replace the ARs in any one person's collection, so there's no reason to take things super seriously. It's a fun and interesting firearm with some great features. I have legitimate complaints, but it's not a deal breaker at the current $1500 price point.

Where did you hear this?

I think the base design of the ACR is very promising. I will say that the ACR fans are among the most ingenious of any of the MSR crowds.

The ACR forum. Guy over there is friends with the sales manager at RemDef, and he has stated they were planning on releasing parts. Of course, we've been let down so many times, I'm not holding my breath.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 5:11:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I must say I have buyer's remorse on the ACR and I haven't even shot it. I bought it when they hit $1500 as I've always had my eye on one. I shunned it at its original price and the weight/balance was a turn off based on handling it in person. Well at $1500 I figure I could live with it or must have "forgotten" my initial experience. After fondling it for sometime I feel kind of sick. It's still bad unless I do a bunch of work or spend some money. I look at all my ARs where I can spend $1500 and have a lighter, more capable weapon. Plus the AR aftermarket offers so much more.

This isn't to say the ACR can't be a viable platform but I can't jump on board at the moment. I plan on getting rid of mine.

Link Posted: 8/11/2015 6:43:18 PM EDT
[#17]
So I've never really even heard of the ACR until I stumbled across the thread in the Geissele forum. Anyone wanna give me an UNBIASED low down of the gun?

I own Scars, DI/piston ARs, and a Tavor... does the ACR offer something different?
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 6:56:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So I've never really even heard of the ACR until I stumbled across the thread in the Geissele forum. Anyone wanna give me an UNBIASED low down of the gun?

I own Scars, DI/piston ARs, and a Tavor... does the ACR offer something different?
View Quote

A heavy rifle, with a stupid barrel, ok ergonomics, poor aftermarket

No more reliable than an ar.

1,500 gets you a nice ar, with any barrel profile/twist rate you want.

You don't buy one to be practical, you buy it to be different
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 7:17:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're really on a tear today. Yes, there are things that could definitely be improved, but it's a well constructed gun. If you're looking for something different, it's a great gun to pick up. Bushmaster could have done a lot of things differently, but the hate comes from a lot of people who've never owned or fired one. Nobody is saying it should replace an AR or other firearms in an individual's collection. I really like mine.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 7:56:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

That rifle is going nowhere fast. It is more likely it will be discontinued at some point....which is sad because I think it has a lot of potential.  I don't want to have to join a forum to search for obscure and hard to find 3rd party parts, or pine away for years at vaporware that might get made.  I am not alone, and that explains the dismal sales.  What is so frustrating, is all this is so easily fixed by the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 8:08:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You're really on a tear today. Yes, there are things that could definitely be improved, but it's a well constructed gun. If you're looking for something different, it's a great gun to pick up. Bushmaster could have done a lot of things differently, but the hate comes from a lot of people who've never owned or fired one. Nobody is saying it should replace an AR or other firearms in an individual's collection. I really like mine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'll get no argument from me.

I tried giving a quick and dirty review, devoid of emotion, that answers his question
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 8:16:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That rifle is going nowhere fast. It is more likely it will be discontinued at some point....which is sad because I think it has a lot of potential.  I don't want to have to join a forum to search for obscure and hard to find 3rd party parts, or pine away for years at vaporware that might get made.  I am not alone, and that explains the dismal sales.  What is so frustrating, is all this is so easily fixed by the manufacturer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm starry eyed because I just purchased a couple. I'm not sure what the future holds, but I appreciate it for what it is, and again, no one is advocating selling their ARs to fund one. The only reason I purchased an ACR was because I was seriously bored. Next up - Scar 16s.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 8:23:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm starry eyed because I just purchased a couple. I'm not sure what the future holds, but I appreciate it for what it is, and again, no one is advocating selling their ARs to fund one. The only reason I purchased an ACR was because I was seriously bored. Next up - Scar 16s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here. New was wearing off my Tavor. Tired of AR's. Just wanted something a little different. Love my ACR though. If you don't like them, don't buy one. Real simple.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 8:31:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You'll get no argument from me.

I tried giving a quick and dirty review, devoid of emotion, that answers his question
View Quote

To be fair, your review was actually pretty accurate. The only part I disagree with is ergonomics. I think it's much better than an AR, especially the charging handle.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 8:40:03 PM EDT
[#25]
double.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 9:29:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes I was handling one at a local shop last week and thought wow this rifle has potential but support/upgrades/options just stopped dead in its tracks.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 4:33:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

The bolt release is pretty awesome.  Apart from the other rifles you mentioned, not really.

FORMER ACR owner.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 11:58:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The bolt release is pretty awesome.  Apart from the other rifles you mentioned, not really.

FORMER ACR owner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FORMER ACR owner.

Wow, that's all you can say about the rifle?

It's disassembles faster than the SCAR and is more modular in it's currently available hardware. With the exception of the proprietary gas system components, it utilizes standard ar15 barrels. It uses standard ar15 fire control groups (with minor modification). Although there are some short-comings, it is definitely not just another rifle.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 3:22:50 AM EDT
[#29]
I still remember asking the rep why they went with a m4 barrel

Market research
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 3:33:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Market research
View Quote

Coincidentally, it was also the cheapest option.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 3:38:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It's disassembles faster than the SCAR and is more modular in it's currently available hardware. With the exception of the proprietary gas system components, it utilizes standard ar15 barrels. It uses standard ar15 fire control groups (with minor modification). Although there are some short-comings, it is definitely not just another rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FORMER ACR owner.

Well, yes it is just another rifle, remember that the scar isn't the ACR's only competition.

The ACR's 2 biggest selling points was was that it going to replace the m4, and it would be cheap

And as we all know, neither of those things happened, and the downturn in price is just recent.

The shortcomings it has are pretty glaring
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 3:39:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Market research

Considering it hit the street at almost 2k....
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 8:20:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 12:04:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FORMER ACR owner.

I was trying to be nice, and I took the question to be an inquiry as to the positive features that the ACR has that the others don't.  Here is what I posted in a similar thread earlier this year, and is a summary of my experience with it:

"It was very poorly executed. I bought one fairly early on for $1800, and had multiple problems with it. Sent it back to BM after a roll pin in the charging handle walked out, causing the non-reciprocating function to fail. CH recip'ed, roll pin gouged the receiver and seized the whole system. Sent it in and BM sent me an entirely new rifle. The new rifle was overgassed and ran 5.56 spec ammo way too fast, causing odd ejection failures. I sent the barrel off to adco to be cut to 14.5 and reprofiled to lightweight, which seemed to resolve the overgassing problem. Shortly thereafter I noticed that the bolt and barrel extention lugs were peening because the barrel wouldn't index properly, which was unsurprising because the ratcheting barrel nut never locked up in the same place when I would remove the barrel. I decided the ACR was a POS and sold it."
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 1:04:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Market research

I'm sure it was but I really wonder with the scale these guys work with I really wonder how much cost it adds. It's not like the M4 barrel is a simple profile. It's also not like they couldn't just sell whatever leftover ACR barrels they had as a bastard ar run like they have done plenty of times. Some kind of medium light straight profile with a 7 or 8 twist. So stupid.

Link Posted: 8/13/2015 2:56:16 PM EDT
[#36]
So far from what I see, the biggest complaint is with Bushmaster.  Not with ACR itself.

Does anyone have a current production ACR that is giving them problems, or is it just with the older models ?
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 3:56:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Biggest complaint of the ACR seems to be about the m4 cut barrel. Why? Even if you re-profile you're only shaving ounces. It's still a front heavy rifle.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 4:07:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'm sure it was but I really wonder with the scale these guys work with I really wonder how much cost it adds. It's not like the M4 barrel is a simple profile. It's also not like they couldn't just sell whatever leftover ACR barrels they had as a bastard ar run like they have done plenty of times. Some kind of medium light straight profile with a 7 or 8 twist. So stupid.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Market research

Life rule #1: Follow the $$$.  Works every time.

Whatever the logistics are, the M4 bbl. mfg costs were probably already amortized over hundreds (thousands?) of bbls from prior M4gery production.  The set is in place to keep making them.  No additional tooling costs, no bugs to iron out, etc.  Probably the only "zero investment" item on the ACR prod parts list.  If the gun had sold in higher numbers, then a new bbl profile probably could have been in the offing.  But alas, it ain't gonna happen.

I wouldn't hold hope out for Remington, either.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 4:45:31 PM EDT
[#39]
This thread needs more pics (and less bitching).

Link Posted: 8/13/2015 5:09:02 PM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 8/13/2015 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s92.photobucket.com/user/HK94dude/media/32D5BDAD-823E-4444-9AF7-1DF1C6BBE7C4_zps6zeqig9t.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l30/HK94dude/32D5BDAD-823E-4444-9AF7-1DF1C6BBE7C4_zps6zeqig9t.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s92.photobucket.com/user/HK94dude/media/1DB908A6-8C68-4921-9302-5795273ED451_zpshe3jglwt.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l30/HK94dude/1DB908A6-8C68-4921-9302-5795273ED451_zpshe3jglwt.jpg</a>

View All Quotes
Quoted:
<a href="http://s92.photobucket.com/user/HK94dude/media/32D5BDAD-823E-4444-9AF7-1DF1C6BBE7C4_zps6zeqig9t.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l30/HK94dude/32D5BDAD-823E-4444-9AF7-1DF1C6BBE7C4_zps6zeqig9t.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s92.photobucket.com/user/HK94dude/media/1DB908A6-8C68-4921-9302-5795273ED451_zpshe3jglwt.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l30/HK94dude/1DB908A6-8C68-4921-9302-5795273ED451_zpshe3jglwt.jpg</a>

Barrel length?
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Fast disassembly is not exactly a huge selling point, nor is it a reason to choose one gun over another. It's not like the other gun is a Browning Buckmark.

The biggest problem is the initial price offering was $2K+ for the first several years. As the price comes down, it will be more popular (duh), but the biggest hurdle is buying a $1500 to use the receiver, then buy aftermarket parts and pay for getting work done on it.

A lot of guys like myself would love to build up an ACR. But once you replace the barrel (and send it to marvin pitts) you're looking at an additional few hundred. Then replacing the trunion to cut significant front-end weight (not available yet), then replacing the lower with an aluminum or magnesium lower (not available yet), and buying a new handguard and trigger, you're looking at another $1000.

That's why people have been holding out for the Remington version. Additional handguard options, modular lower receiver, and a much lighter front end.

Unless Remington starts offering their version, or BM starts offering additional updated versions, the ACR will always be a hobbyist gun for a niche who appreciates the gun because it's a project, like the Jeep fans of the gun world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FORMER ACR owner.

Fast disassembly is not exactly a huge selling point, nor is it a reason to choose one gun over another. It's not like the other gun is a Browning Buckmark.

The biggest problem is the initial price offering was $2K+ for the first several years. As the price comes down, it will be more popular (duh), but the biggest hurdle is buying a $1500 to use the receiver, then buy aftermarket parts and pay for getting work done on it.

A lot of guys like myself would love to build up an ACR. But once you replace the barrel (and send it to marvin pitts) you're looking at an additional few hundred. Then replacing the trunion to cut significant front-end weight (not available yet), then replacing the lower with an aluminum or magnesium lower (not available yet), and buying a new handguard and trigger, you're looking at another $1000.

That's why people have been holding out for the Remington version. Additional handguard options, modular lower receiver, and a much lighter front end.

Unless Remington starts offering their version, or BM starts offering additional updated versions, the ACR will always be a hobbyist gun for a niche who appreciates the gun because it's a project, like the Jeep fans of the gun world.

To the Army, rapid and ease of disassembly is one the bullet points when it comes to deciding on adopting a weapon system. It's why the M60 lost favor to the 240b. I have no ill sentiment to either machinegun or even to the SCAR but it was part of the reason why I choose the ACR over the SCAR. The release price continues to be argued and unfortunately, a new weapon system isn't going to be cheap. Manufacturers needed to recoup their R&D and investment costs, so in the end, it's the consumer who will be burdened by those costs. Price aside, it's not the terrible weapon people make it out to be and it does deserve more respect than what it receives. I've seen stock Noveske rifles be modified by their owners, so just because a weapon is expensive, doesn't mean it meets the customers needs/tastes. It's only a niche weapon because that's what the market turned it into.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 5:37:58 PM EDT
[#43]

As the barrel began to heat up, so did the group size. I'm not a personal fan of the QD barrel nut, especially when tailoring the weapon in a precision role. Currently working with a machinist to try and replicate a similar barrel nut that Remington is offering in their model.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 5:53:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Looks like 10.5 carbine length piston.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 6:37:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

What hand guard?

Very nice ACR btw
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 6:55:56 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

correct.  Not near as front end heavy as before

Link Posted: 8/13/2015 10:09:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 10:20:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

What hand guard?

Very nice ACR btw
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What hand guard?

Very nice ACR btw

Looks like the Clandestine Components handguard.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 12:43:54 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Are there different piston lengths?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

correct.  Not near as front end heavy as before

Are there different piston lengths?
yes.  Comes from the factory as a middy.  I used a carbine length AR barrel and chopped it along with the piston.

Link Posted: 8/14/2015 8:20:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top