Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2015 4:10:31 PM EDT
I am open to a new sub-gun SBR.

CZ Scorpion (CZ hasn't released the stock, yet), ..............................................9mm

LWRC prototype - unveiled but current estimate of availability is 2016............45 ACP

Brugger & Thommet APC45 - pistols will be available, stocks likely available at a later date........................45 ACP (APC9 in 9mm)

SIG MPX pistol version available or soon to be available with stock and SBR version to be released at a later date

What are your thoughts, ONLY IF you are a sub-gun fan.
I know sub-guns have fallen by the wayside somewhat, but 4 new designs in the last 2 years.

I shoot more 45 than 9, so I will be looking for a ACP45.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 4:18:15 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not cool factor like the ones you mentioned.  However look at a JRC carbine.
I just installed their 45 conversion in place of the 9mm i have. Nice shooter definitely screams for a tax stamp.
Everything is available w/out needing special adapters, wait times etc.

+1 for using AR furniture
+1 for factory threaded bbl
+1 for using AR trigger group
+1 for using glock mags
+1 for the bbl not needing special tooling if you decide to shorten and rethread.

+1 (for my budget) I'm in to the 9mm JRC with the 45 conversion for under $1K  If i went the Form 1/ SBR route my total investment would be $980  Plus i don't have to pay insane prices for proprietary mags.

You could do a large magwell QC10 build also
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 5:27:15 PM EDT
[#2]
B&T TP9 is on my list before the Skorpian.

FWIW, I find it to be a disadvantage if a non AR gun has AR parts in it. Seems cobbled together and not wholey authentic. But that's just my opinion.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:29:08 PM EDT
[#4]
mp5.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 12:15:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I didn't really care for the Scorpion once I'd gotten hands on it.   Not to say it wouldn't be on my list if I ran across one cheap enough, but I'm not in a rush to get one.  

Out of those, I liked the MPX best, and will probably be seeking one out.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 12:33:58 AM EDT
[#6]
No MP5 on your list?
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 12:48:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Its too early to tell but I could see the Sig MPX being the new king.Also  Ron Williams makes some nice gas operated .45 uppers. Gas operated guns have less recoil and are much smoother than blowback guns.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:17:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its too early to tell but I could see the Sig MPX being the new king.Also  Ron Williams makes some nice gas operated .45 uppers. Gas operated guns have less recoil and are much smoother than blowback guns.
View Quote

Some of them are also ammo sensitive.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:29:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Which one are you referring to?
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 1:36:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No MP5 on your list?
View Quote

For sure it can be argued that the MP5 is the reigning king.
This is more about the new designs that have come out.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:40:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The DI . There's a discussion somewhere on arfcom about them
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 6:58:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a KRISS pistol I had plans on doing a sbr on but at the time, funds were short and I wound up selling it. It was a very accurate gun and a 45 acp to boot.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 9:49:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's not cool factor like the ones you mentioned.  However look at a JRC carbine.
I just installed their 45 conversion in place of the 9mm i have. Nice shooter definitely screams for a tax stamp.
Everything is available w/out needing special adapters, wait times etc.

+1 for using AR furniture
+1 for factory threaded bbl
+1 for using AR trigger group
+1 for using glock mags
+1 for the bbl not needing special tooling if you decide to shorten and rethread.

+1 (for my budget) I'm in to the 9mm JRC with the 45 conversion for under $1K  If i went the Form 1/ SBR route my total investment would be $980  Plus i don't have to pay insane prices for proprietary mags.

You could do a large magwell QC10 build also
View Quote

Ive had berettas, a UMP, and camp carbines.  I like my JRC the best. This stamp was recently approved. Waiting on optic and kris mag extesnsions.  . Suppressed sbr jrc 45

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 9:52:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
B&T TP9 is on my list before the Skorpian.

FWIW, I find it to be a disadvantage if a non AR gun has AR parts in it. Seems cobbled together and not wholey authentic. But that's just my opinion.
View Quote

You obviously haven't handles a JRC.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:53:19 AM EDT
[#15]
APC45's are on the market.
They use the same stock as B&T supplies for the MP5 - so stocks are available.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:03:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Looks like the APC45 is running around $2300-2400; the TP9 is running around $2000. I own a TP9 ( two, actually), and the y are fantastic, but I bought them for $800 each; $2K is kind of obscene IMHO.  If you want something killer, look to the MPX or KRISS (waiting on my stamp on this one, but love the CRB). If you want something reasonably priced, built like a tank and reliable, check out the Masterpiece Arms MPA930DMG and the MPA30DMG. Both are Mac clones, but designed to take Glock mags. They have threaded barrels and are tapped for stocks. Mine has no trigger slap and is as enjoyable to shoot as my B&T.

EDIT- I own a CZ Scorpion, also.  Nicely made and reliable, but must be SBR'd. Trigger is stiff, but breaks clean. The MPX is more refined and offers the benefit of taking AR trigger packs.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:08:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I regret passing on a ruger carbine in .40S&W :(
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:53:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I love sub guns and have owned a lot of the older ones (live in CT so can't get the new batch).  I have a SPP which is the older TP9, and a CMMG MK9 now.  I would probably pick the MPX but for the cost, the CZ is AWESOMENESS. The LWRC has a lot of potential but by the time it comes out you can decide if you want to trade you MPX in on it or get both.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I'll be getting an MPX in 9mm.  As for 45 ACP.  The LWRC looks awesome and I hope it makes it to production, but I've also been considering a Glock lower'd/ DI upper combo since It'll use my existing G21 mags.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:39:10 AM EDT
[#20]
I like PCCs.

I had a Marlin Camp 45. It was very accurate but the action is pretty much a scaled up Marlin Model 60, and mag capacity is limited. I wound up trading it off and got as much in trade as I paid for it.

I currently have an old Hi Point 995 in the ATI stock that I picked up for a song.  It's ugly and heavy but it runs well. I did have to replace the trigger. The OEM plastic trigger broke, so I milled one out of scrap brass.

I also have a Beretta CX-4 Storm that uses M9 magazines, and a TNW Suomi. Both of them run like tops and the Suomi has cool points to spare. It'll have even more after my Form 1 comes back so I can SBR it.

Another PCC to check out would be the TNW Aero Survival Rifle.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 2:13:50 AM EDT
[#21]
I love all of mine. So much so, that I ended up SBR'ing all of them. Thompson reigns supreme since I SBR'd it. It's like a whole new gun.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:01:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Zamo, not to steal the thread but some details on why you like the Thompson the best?  I love the looks and history of it, and my grandfather told me stories about WWII and his which makes it cooler to me.  He said it was heavy and they were trained to aim low and the gun would recoil through the target on FA.  That said he was smaller thin man than his 6'5" 235 grandson.  Would you use it for home defense or do you like it just for fun? NOT all guns need to be tacticool....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top