Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2015 11:04:44 PM EDT
I've caught the carbine bug and want one for some plinking and to take on occasional backpacking/hiking/camping expeditions.

I considered the Mini-14 for known reliability and ammo compatibility but let's face it, it's not an M1 carbine. That said, I'm torn between getting an old GI carbine or a NIB Kahr/AO carbine if said carbine is going to be a beater. The Fulton Armory and James River carbines a little out of my budget right now.

What does ARFCOM think? Anyone know how the newer Kahr/AO carbines stack up? I heard they fixed some of the problems from the older carbines.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 11:41:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've caught the carbine bug and want one for some plinking and to take on occasional backpacking/hiking/camping expeditions.

I considered the Mini-14 for known reliability and ammo compatibility but let's face it, it's not an M1 carbine. That said, I'm torn between getting an old GI carbine or a NIB Kahr/AO carbine if said carbine is going to be a beater. The Fulton Armory and James River carbines a little out of my budget right now.

What does ARFCOM think? Anyone know how the newer Kahr/AO carbines stack up? I heard they fixed some of the problems from the older carbines.
View Quote

The mini will be more cost effective to shoot, unless you reload.  Either one of them are going to be Very Noticeable in the field.  I'd buy a 4 - 6" .357 or 44 mag for camping / hiking before a carbine, of any caliber.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 11:54:03 PM EDT
[#2]
My m1a1 (usgi w/ repro stock) was my camping gun for many a year

Now its either a 590 or my ar

If you want a camping/truck gun, and don't want to use an ar, a mini 14 would be my choice

If i was looking to buy an m1 carbine,  usgi or bust
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 11:59:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The mini will be more cost effective to shoot, unless you reload.  Either one of them are going to be Very Noticeable in the field.  I'd buy a 4 - 6" .357 or 44 mag for camping / hiking before a carbine, of any caliber.
View Quote

My brain is telling me to get a mini for that reason haha, but my heart is telling me to an M1 carbine because nostalgia. But at the same time, I don't want to use and abuse an potentially collectable USGI carbine, hence my question about the Kahr/AO reproduction.

I've got a Glock 20 on the way for my go-to camping gun. The carbine would be for shits and giggles
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 12:17:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

My brain is telling me to get a mini for that reason haha, but my heart is telling me to an M1 carbine because nostalgia. But at the same time, I don't want to use and abuse an potentially collectable USGI carbine, hence my question about the Kahr/AO reproduction.

I've got a Glock 20 on the way for my go-to camping gun. The carbine would be for shits and giggles
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shits n giggles guns get fired, a lot. Buy at least 1K of 30 carbine. A guy we shoot with is very happy with the 110gr tula. He has a generic / commercial, universal. It runs 99.5% of the time with it. Actually better results than the surplus stuff he has.  Buy a mini with a side folder. If you don't like it, there's a better sell to base for a mini than commercial 30 carbine.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 9:48:56 AM EDT
[#5]
The further Kahr gets away from the K9/K40, the more issues you will have with it.

Their M1 carbine is pretty far away from either pistol.

Fulton, James, USGI in good shape, or just go for the Mini (which have their own issues).
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:44:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Fulton, James, USGI in good shape, or just go for the Mini (which have their own issues).
View Quote

I just had a thought. What about buying a new barreled action from Fulton and dropping it into a USGI stock? It's like the best of both worlds

Please tell me that will work...
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 2:11:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Have you seen the prices lately for an original, nice condition USGI walnut stock? Ferchrissakes, even a nice birch one is $100 plus bucks...
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 7:01:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I have had no complaints with my Kahr/ Auto Ordinance for about 5 years now.

I also looked at the "new" Inland Mfg LLC M1s at the NRA show and thought they looked nice.

Inland M1
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 7:25:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Neither are any of the aftermarket copies.

That said, the Mini uses more effective and more available ammo.

Not saying that the .30 Carbine round is ineffective.  I have two Inlands and they are quite effective but I believe that 5.56 is more effective.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 7:27:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No nostalgia attached to an aftermarket M1 Carbine, Garand, or M14 clones such as the M1A.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:13:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I have had no complaints with my Kahr/ Auto Ordinance for about 5 years now.

I also looked at the "new" Inland Mfg LLC M1s at the NRA show and thought they looked nice.

Inland M1
View Quote

Are they being sold yet?
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:46:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No nostalgia attached to an aftermarket M1 Carbine, Garand, or M14 clones such as the M1A.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Disagree to a point. While it's reduced, you can still get nostalgic from shooting other old repro or new production "old" guns.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 1:34:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Disagree to a point. While it's reduced, you can still get nostalgic from shooting other old repro or new production "old" guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think vellnueve's thinking is in-line with my own. I want a carbine like the ones of WW2, Korea, Vietnam without feeling bad if I shot the shit out of it.

I mulled it over and I think I'm going to get a new barreled action and drop it in a USGI stock with some character. Thanks everyone!
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:50:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I think vellnueve's thinking is in-line with my own. I want a carbine like the ones of WW2, Korea, Vietnam without feeling bad if I shot the shit out of it.

I mulled it over and I think I'm going to get a new barreled action and drop it in a USGI stock with some character. Thanks everyone!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no nostalgia attached to any aftermarket replica of anything.

A kit car Cobra or GT 40 certainly has no nostalgia as they are reproductions of the original items, some of them executed very poorly.

M1 Carbine repros were never carried into combat, no GI ever used one to defend himself.

Not hating on you guys and you can, or course, buy what you want but just expressing my opinion that they are not M1 Carbines just as a kit car Cobra is not a Cobra.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 8:21:06 PM EDT
[#15]
USGI carbines in nice shape can still be had on gbnbroker.com for @$800. That's not much more than the repop's or the Mini-14.
These rifles were designed, and built for war against Nazis and Japs. I doubt you can shoot it enough (especially at current .30 Carbine ammo prices) to wear it out.
Also carbines were not like Lugers. They were generally assembled from a mismatch of available parts, and it's the "All Winchester", or "Matching Inland" that is likely not original (or so a knowledgable Carbine collector told me years ago).
If a part breaks, replace it with another USGI part and off you go.
I have a Blue Sky imported 9-43 Underwood, and I've shot the piss out of it w/o issue. Bought it for $250 back in the early 90's and I wish I'd bought a truck load of them.
Chiappa or somebody like that is also making a 9mm chambered M1 Carbine clone, which is a neat idea in terms of ammo avail/price, but I think I heard they aren't worth their weight in horsecrap.
Don't screw around. Buy the nicest USGI you can afford. Cry once, and be happy ever after. Then sell it for more than you paid for it when you're an old man.

Mine:
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:30:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:36:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I bought an AutoOrd to SBR
The finish on the receiver was a little rough
The thing is reliable with the factory and surplus 15 round mags and surplus 30 round mags, so my SBR project is a "GO"
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:49:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

M1 Carbine repros were never carried into combat, no GI ever used one to defend himself.

View Quote

Chances are your "USGI" M1 carbine was never carried into combat, or used by a GI either.

It either sat in a warehouse during WWII, or was rebuilt to the point that none of the original parts remain.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:35:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

A kit car Cobra or GT 40 certainly has no nostalgia as they are reproductions of the original items, some of them executed very poorly.

Not hating on you guys and you can, or course, buy what you want but just expressing my opinion that they are not M1 Carbines just as a kit car Cobra is not a Cobra.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nostalgia is nothing more than a feeling for the past.  Any replica of something else can cause, or cure, nostalgia.  It has nothing to do with authenticity.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Nostalgia is nothing more than a feeling for the past.  Any replica of something else can cause, or cure, nostalgia.  It has nothing to do with authenticity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, I know a great deal of Cowboy Action Shooters who would vehemently disagree with that statement.  To say they can't feel nostalgic if they can't shoot an original Colt peacemaker and 1874 Winchester is simply absurd.  Nostalgia is a feeling.  While it very well may. Do nothing for you, that is about all you can say.

Doc

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:23:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Chances are your "USGI" M1 carbine was never carried into combat, or used by a GI either.

It either sat in a warehouse during WWII, or was rebuilt to the point that none of the original parts remain.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

M1 Carbines did not sit in warehouses during WWII.  Both of mine still have the original parts.

What you spout is nothing but pure speculation........"chances are"...........but what I posted contained no speculation and is absolute fact.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:24:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe for you.  Not for those that appreciate the history of the real things.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:30:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, not maybe for me.  You obviously can't tell the difference between nostalgic and authentic collectible.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:56:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
As long as the gun runs well (surplus or commercial)  I think it's a great idea.

It's going to be slimmer and lighter than a Mini. And for the intended use that is important.

And 30 Carbine is super easy to reload for so ammo isn't really a concern.

ETA: do you really want to take an original Carbine on a canoe trip???????
View Quote

I have

Its a gun, getting some dirt on it isn't going to kill it

just dont needlessly abuse it and it will do fine

That said, if you want a gun that is more practical,  mini or ar
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:46:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got six of the real things and I still think you can feel nostalgic with a reproduction.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:21:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

No, not maybe for me.  You obviously can't tell the difference between nostalgic and authentic collectible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not the one who doesn't know the difference.  Fakes do not induce nostalgia.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I am not the one who doesn't know the difference.  Fakes do not induce nostalgia.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I commend the authority with which you state objectively on a subjective matter.

OP, original Carbines can be had for $700-$900. I see little reason to bother with the AO version.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:37:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How the hell could you possibly know what evokes nostalgia in someone else's mind?  Even looking at a picture or a drawing of something from the past can induce nostalgia.  Hell, it doesn't even have to be visual.  You could read something someone wrote.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:00:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

How the hell could you possibly know what evokes nostalgia in someone else's mind?  Even looking at a picture or a drawing of something from the past can induce nostalgia.  Hell, it doesn't even have to be visual.  You could read something someone wrote.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't bother trying to argue with Larry G. He once said I should be killed because I had a Garand in .308 and not 30-06.
He trolls this forum for any mention of M14 or AR10 so he can come into a thread and act superior on his "knowledge" of what these terms mean, while everyone quietly laughs and ignores him.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because if a fake "evokes nostalgia" in someone's mind, they should just give up because they just don't get it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:06:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Don't bother trying to argue with Larry G. He once said I should be killed because I had a Garand in .308 and not 30-06.
He trolls this forum for any mention of M14 or AR10 so he can come into a thread and act superior on his "knowledge" of what these terms mean, while everyone quietly laughs and ignores him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, you mean people that love to defend their stupidity and seem to be real proud of it.

As for trolling this forum for any mention of AR10 or M14, you are absolutely full of shit,

Talk about acting superior while really knowing nothing.........that would be you.

As for saying you should be killed, that was a fucking joke.  And you criticize me.

And I do have more knowledge of what these terms mean.  I can see why you would resent that.

What, you follow me around with your bullshit because I hurt your widdle feelings once upon a time.

Aw, poor baby.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:02:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Noatalgia : a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a place or period with happy associations.

The only possible person you can say what does and does not evoke nostalgia for is yourself.  Everything else is just diarrhea of the mouth.

Doc
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:03:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:02:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Noatalgia : a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a place or period with happy associations.

The only possible person you can say what does and does not evoke nostalgia for is yourself.  Everything else is just diarrhea of the mouth.

Doc
View Quote

No dude. Larry tells YOU what you feel.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:18:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Wow
A lot of purse swinging for a technical forum
Surprised this one hasn't been nuked

Go for the carbine. Lighter, handier, less noise than the Mini 14
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 5:55:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Wow
A lot of purse swinging for a technical forum
Surprised this one hasn't been nuked

Go for the carbine. Lighter, handier, less noise than the Mini 14
View Quote

Yep, sorry, shouldn't have gotten sucked into that one.  Won't again.

30 cal carbine would make a dandy little self defense weapon.  As long as the price is comparable for a new vs a "real" one, I think I would pick the WWII vintage.

Doc
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:51:56 AM EDT
[#37]
I have no idea, but I have had an urge to SBR an M1 carbine and would rather not use an original so this interests me somewhat.

Something like this.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:31:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have no idea, but I have had an urge to SBR an M1 carbine and would rather not use an original so this interests me somewhat.

Something like this.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ddr223/media/advisorscarbine1_zps8c095f62.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ddr223/advisorscarbine1_zps8c095f62.jpg</a>
View Quote

THAT is EXACTLY what I'm doing.
It's already wearing the folder.
As soon as the stamp arrives, into the headstock goes the barrel. Cut down to 11.5", then threaded 1/2x28 for a YHM 30 cal mount. Add the Phantom Ti, and much fun will result
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:07:45 PM EDT
[#39]
OP, if you're worried about using a collectible carbine, find yourself an original is that is import marked. The collectors hate 'em for some reason.  Only hing to watch is bore condition as some of them were abused pretty hard. I have a Century import (Israeli I think) Inland that with a mint bore that I love very much, even with the import mark.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:55:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Thank you all for the input. I've been looking at a few USGI carbines local to me so hopefully I'll have one in my hands soon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top