Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2015 7:31:53 PM EDT
How good are they? Seems I've seen a few writeups on them and they don't seem to attract a lot of bad press.

I was looking at a couple, a 9mm and a .380 for my wife; they were priced very low ($169 or so).

What's the intel on them?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:56:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty much the absolute worst gun you can buy.  Run far, far away.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:04:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

A good friend of mine bought one and you could not get through a mag without a jam with ball ammo. I told him to take what ever he could get for it which was $75. That's about $74.95 more than what they are worth
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:06:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I have not read any test reports on the Jimenez Pistols but the designs are very similar to the Jennings, Bryco's of years past.  A lot of the Jennings pistols had Zinc slides and frames.  Another pistol sharing the same design was the Raven 25 ACP,  back in the 70's & 80's Ravens and Jennings could be bought for $50-$100.  I had a Jennings 22 pistol many years ago and it functioned and was accurate enough.  A lot of these cheaper guns are referred to as Saturday Night Specials because they are cheap.

I know people who buy Hi Points because they are cheap, function and have a life time warranty.  My recommendation is to spend a little more money, you get what you pay for.  Maybe an actual owner will chime in.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:12:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How good are they? Seems I've seen a few writeups on them and they don't seem to attract a lot of bad press.

I was looking at a couple, a 9mm and a .380 for my wife; they were priced very low ($169 or so).

View Quote

Junk.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:13:02 PM EDT
[#5]
They do, however, make excellent throwing pistols.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:19:47 PM EDT
[#6]
My cousin has a Jennings Nine. It is absolute crap. Feed failures/stove pipes every other round. Failure to return to battery, every failure you can think of.
I tried all my gunsmithing prowess on it and still it remains the worst firearm I've ever used or tried to use.

Jiminez/Jennings pistols make Hi-Points look tier one.

Run away, run far, far away.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:52:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Stone pieces of wet dog shit. STay FAR away.

If money is a consideration look at a pair of hi points for yourself and the wife. They are cheap, but reliable and reasonably accurate.
I have seen ALOT of them in CCDW classes.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:59:50 PM EDT
[#8]
there is a great youtube video of a Jimenez with the front half of the slide cracked off. pretty sure you can fire them with the safety engaged as well
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:26:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Good for a drive-by or two before you throw it in the river.  That's about it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:32:03 PM EDT
[#10]
There fine but there like a brink

They cut you alot
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:49:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There fine but there like a brink

They cut you alot
View Quote

That is a ringing endorsement.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:20:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:55:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:59:37 PM EDT
[#14]
You get what you pay for.. You pay for junk, that's what you'll get. That said, I've actually heard decent reports about the .22. In 9mm, Hi-Point is a better way to go.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:59:58 PM EDT
[#15]

BTW, OP should change title with correct spelling so this thread can be found with a search.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:32:35 PM EDT
[#16]
If $175 disappeared from my CC and my only options were to take the loss or take a Jennings/Jimenez for compensation I would take the loss.  I am not joking my father had bought one for some unknown reason way back and I am glad no one lose any fingers. Those things are horrible

Saturday night special it's the very definition
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:59:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Qft!!

Buyer beware, run far and fast.  

You want a cheap shit gun that actualy works? Buy a hi point.

So thankful I traded mine away
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:09:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Trash. You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:04:05 PM EDT
[#19]

That forum cracks me up. Their slogan is "Myth Busting the Gun-Snob's B.S." and their main sticky in their forum is "Jenning Nine Cracked Frame - What to Look For".

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:18:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That forum cracks me up. Their slogan is "Myth Busting the Gun-Snob's B.S." and their main sticky in their forum is "Jenning Nine Cracked Frame - What to Look For".

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'd never looked at their forums before you mentioned them. (In fact, I didn't even realize they had a forum, as I never went passed the home page, nor looked over the links.) I just posted it to offer the OP a little background on the manufacturing / corporate ownership history of Jimenez pistols.

I owned a Lorcin .22 nearly twenty years ago, and only because my first wife wouldn't let me spend shit on my shooting hobby. A cheap Lorcin and .22 lr was pushing it as far as the budget she allowed me. (I did say she was my first wife, didn't I, inferring that she's now an ex-wife?)
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:47:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#22]

I felt awkward reading what I did of that page (not much) while lacking a diamond-studded grill, teardrop tat below my eye, and a fifteen page rap sheet.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:45:31 PM EDT
[#23]
They really are as bad as everyone makes them out to be.
I was thinking back and I honestly don't recall bashing a pistol on this website since I've been a member.

I've taken some cheap shots on owners of certain brands but not the pistol/rifle it self.
This is the first time that I've felt like I wanted to voice my concern over the safety of a certain brand and my opinion is from personal experience.
Anyway OP good luck if you decide not to listen to the posters who have voiced their opinions as well.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:31:04 PM EDT
[#24]
The design of these guns is pure shit.   When cocked, the firing pin is fully cocked.   The sear engagement is a piece of zinc alloy resting on the trigger/sear.   When you pull the trigger the sear pulls down releasing the firing pin to strike the primer.

New they are not too unsafe, however as they wear the engagement point also wears and they can and will discharge without pulling the trigger.  

Many stories about people getting shot in the ass

If you need a cheap gun, buy a Hi-Point.   Big heavy , clunky, Ugly, but will go bang when you want it too and not before.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 11:35:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I suppose it bears mentioning that Jimenez is one of the most profitable brands that an FFL can carry. It's quite possible that your local dealer is making nearly as much profit . . . in actual dollars . . . selling a $140 Jimenez that he does selling a $500 Glock.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:23:11 PM EDT
[#26]
hi point >  jimenez
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 9:34:59 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Anyone remember the Pimpmatic thread???
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 10:01:28 PM EDT
[#28]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd150/cletussd/269473342.jpg

Damn, $113, about 20 rounds of 9mm FMJ,  and a bedazzled Jennings with sights glued onto the side of the slide. All together, the items in that picture are worth about $120.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:39:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Thanks to all for your input! It's a shame it's such a POS, it'd be a pretty nice little package if it worked well.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 12:38:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Way more badder than a Lo Point!!!
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Way more badder than a Lo Point!!!
View Quote

Foshizzle.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 9:20:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh yes, how to keep your pimp hand strong
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:45:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Damn, $113, about 20 rounds of 9mm FMJ,  and a bedazzled Jennings with sights glued onto the side of the slide. All together, the items in that picture are worth about $120.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I call bullshit. Real pimps don't need sights.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:52:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The sights are there to add insult to injury by leaving cuts on the face of a ho you just pistol whipped when she failed to bring you your money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top