Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2015 5:43:25 PM EDT
I've wanted a semi .17 since the Remington debacle.

When semi's seemed impossible, at least at a price point I could afford (I know other makers have offerings in .17 but the $1000 price tag was a deal killer for me), I went ahead and got myself a Savage 93 bolt with a heavy barrel.

Today as I was cruising Cabela's I found a flyer for the new Savage, couldn't believe my eyes, semi-auto, $470 msrp.

Of course they didn't have any left, called around, Scheels had "several", packed up my bolt .17 and off I went.

Traded the bolt action, two 200 rd bricks of CCI A17 ammo, $400 OTD. Pretty happy with the whole deal, now to give it quick clean and get to the range.

Link for those interested
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 5:48:12 PM EDT
[#1]
We got one on the shelf at the shop. The only thing keeping me from getting it is that special ammo.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 5:58:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We got one on the shelf at the shop. The only thing keeping me from getting it is that special ammo.
View Quote

Savage themselves say any .17 ammo "should" run it, but their branded stuff "will" run it. Not overly thrilled with that part myself but I'll run all my Hornady stuff tomorrow and post how it works out.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 3:37:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Back from the range and pretty happy with the A17.

50yds running Hornady and CCI A17

These were 50yd single shot running Hornady

100 yds running Hornady and CCI A17

100 yds 20rds Hornady

Rifle ran great on the Hornady, one shot didn't cycle the action enough to chamber the next round but otherwise ran perfect.

Main complaint I'm seeing online is the trigger, is it great? No. Is it terrible as many are saying, again no. I ran 200 rds today and it felt like by the end the trigger was improving, time will tell.

Magazines are a bit of a pain to load but after while you learn to sort of roll the rounds in and after a few tries you get a feel for it. I hope someone in the near future develops a larger mag, a 25rd would be fantastic.

I'm very pleased with this rifle and would advise anyone on the fence to get one.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:33:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I've got a few range trips under my belt now. Things I've learned

Trigger seems to be getting better, not great but livable.

I've used about all my Hornady .17, I found a good online deal on the CCI A17 .17HMR and bought a couple bricks. This rifle will run any .17 I've put through it but since the CCI is priced comparatively I'll go all in on it.

Once the rifle starts to heat up groups start to vertical string, I really wish it was heavy barreled.

I'd still buy another and would tell a friend to get one, all though possible wait for better triggers and heavy barrel options.

Hopefully these prove popular and the after-market opens up.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:20:00 AM EDT
[#5]
A friend bought an A-17 where he adjusted the trigger as low as possible and it was still over 6 lbs.   My friend called Savage and they are shipping the rifle in for service on their dime.    My friend bought a couple extra magazines which was good because the supplied mag was defective and would become dislodged during firing.   If Savage can improve the trigger I think he'll be satisfied but he commented his bolt action Savage 17 HMR are obviously more accurate.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:48:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A friend bought an A-17 where he adjusted the trigger as low as possible and it was still over 6 lbs.   My friend called Savage and they are shipping the rifle in for service on their dime.    My friend bought a couple extra magazines which was good because the supplied mag was defective and would become dislodged during firing.   If Savage can improve the trigger I think he'll be satisfied but he commented his bolt action Savage 17 HMR are obviously more accurate.
View Quote

100% agree

Rifle is a fun range toy though.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:52:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Had it out for another range trip.

Seriously fun little rifle!

Another lesson, previous trip out I cleaned it. Next trip, jams and grouping issues. Today was its second time out since cleaning and performed almost flawless, groups were very good if I didn't let the barrel heat up too much. My rifle apparently doesn't like to run clean and I'm fine with that.

One annoying thing that I don't understand, After loading up the mag and firing the first shot it will not feed in the next round, Hornady and CCI A17 rounds both do this, mag issue I suppose? Subsequent rounds feed fine.

No improvement on trigger, still just ok, if an after market ever comes available it will be the first thing I do.

Still pretty pleased with the rifle, get one!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top