Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/8/2015 5:33:12 PM EDT
Just kidding.

Looking to buy a scar 17. Am I wasting money or is it as good as I hear? The only .308 I currently shoot is w Maten.

And while I'm throwing money at my LGS, I'm thinking of getting my first semi shotgun too. I narrowed it down to a benelli m2 or Remington versa max. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 5:43:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag. I'm in the same boat with the SCAR-H.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a SCAR 17, the lightest 308 rifle I have and I love it.

Don't buy it.  You may want to shoot it a lot and that might not be good for your wallet.

If you go Semi Auto I recommend a Benelli M4 shotgun if you can.

Max
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 6:27:28 PM EDT
[#3]

SCAR, DO IT!!!

Shotgun - Benelli all the way!

Link Posted: 4/8/2015 6:47:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Why?.......do it!   And for shotgun, nenelli M2 tactical all the way
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 6:59:05 PM EDT
[#5]
The SCAR is way over priced. What are you going to do do when a part breaks, and it will break at some point? $1,400.00 for a Barrel. No thanks! If you want to be robbed buy a SCAR.  AR15 parts are readily available, SCAR... What do you think? FNH could give a shit less for the civilian market. I know from experience, and through the pipe lines..  I am a part of.  FNH can go suck it!! This from a guy that has TOP OF THE MARK dollar Bolt Guns too.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 7:16:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The SCAR is way over priced. What are you going to do do when a part breaks, and it will break at some point? $1,400.00 for a Barrel. No thanks! If you want to be robbed buy a SCAR.  AR15 parts are readily available, SCAR... What do you think? FNH could give a shit less for the civilian market. I know from experience, and through the pipe lines..  I am a part of.  FNH can go suck it!! This from a guy that has TOP OF THE MARK dollar Bolt Guns too.
View Quote

blah blah blah..  

in just over a year and 1000 rounds later ive yet to have one issue with my scar17.

its quite possibly the funnest thing i own to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 7:18:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 7:29:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Lol Coldair,
    I think I've seen that picture before and it's absolutely hilarious!

Love the SCAR17... easily my favorite gun I own. Hardest thing right now is deciding whether to get another rifle or use the funds for a Leupold CQBSS for it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 8:17:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Love the pic!
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 8:44:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I too have both the scar 17 is way better but i keep the maten just because it
is way fun to modify. With an adj gas block. Low weight bcg. And a pws brake
recoil is as low or lower than a scar but no way as reliable.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 10:11:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just kidding.

Looking to buy a scar 17. Am I wasting money or is it as good as I hear? The only .308 I currently shoot is w Maten.

And while I'm throwing money at my LGS, I'm thinking of getting my first semi shotgun too. I narrowed it down to a benelli m2 or Remington versa max. Thoughts?
View Quote

Buy the SCAR 17 and spend the money you would have spent on the shotgun on some high end glass for it. Something the 17's unique recoil impulse will not wreck.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 10:35:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I was issued one (SCAR 17). Its not a horrible gun, but I wouldn't buy one with my own $. I would get the best AR in 308 I could afford. As for the shotgun, I prefer my mossberg 930. I think its every bit as good as the beneli (we were issued these too) at a more reasonable price.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 12:30:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Buy the SCAR 17 and spend the money you would have spent on the shotgun on some high end glass for it. Something the 17's unique recoil impulse will not wreck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just kidding.

I currently have a Vortex Gen II HD Razor 1-6 on my Maten. I was thinking of using with it the SCAR instead and getting something higher powered for the Maten. What optic would you recommend for the SCAR?
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 12:32:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have a SCAR 17, the lightest 308 rifle I have and I love it.

Don't buy it.  You may want to shoot it a lot and that might not be good for your wallet.

If you go Semi Auto I recommend a Benelli M4 shotgun if you can.

Max
View Quote

After holding one I noticed this too, feel very well balanced in spite of the "bulky" appearance. I kind of want a semi .308 I could also carry. My Maten isn't that heavy, but it feels heavier than a SCAR and every pound counts.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 1:05:04 PM EDT
[#15]
If you like semi shotguns, get a VEPR 12 now. Once the currently imported batch is gone, they will only be available in the used market. You can always easily get the Benelli later.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 4:07:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's always one.

"What does a 'derpy derp' do that a 'herpy herp AR won't.'"  "HERPPARTS!!"

Since early adulthood I have tried nearly every alternative to an AR that's been made.  I've owned an M96, XCR, ACR, AR180 (Costa Mesa), HK 93, G36/SL8 Conversion, and Sig556.  I've shot a select-fire 416A5, and held an ARX (that was all I needed before I decided I didn't like it).  

After I bought my SCARs, I sold all my ARs.

I still have the 180 because, hey, the Terminator used one.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 10:13:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

blah blah blah..  

in just over a year and 1000 rounds later ive yet to have one issue with my scar17.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

blah blah blah..  

Well bless your little heart. It makes me feel so happy to know...  You are so happy.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 3:01:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, replacement parts are expensive, and honestly, I've never had a part break on any of my AR's-or any gun for that matter. And I don't foresee it being a problem with the SCAR either. If I can afford to shoot enough that something eventually does break, then it means I can afford to replace whatever part is broken. Ammo isn't cheap either

New products often cost more in the beginning anyway, they have to pay for all the tooling and investment put into the development of a new weapon system and all that entails. Just how business works.

The AR is a 60 year old design with several dozen brands all competing for your dollars in a saturated market, of course its going to be cheaper. 15 years ago it was ABC; ArmaLite, Bushmaster, Colt -Colt being king, while A&B was good enough. These days its all about boutique brands with milspec this, shot peened that, CHF this and MP HPT or die plus other buzz words that didn't mean shit to many of us in the ABC days. Many of us can't even spend less than $1000 when putting together a "good" AR. Personally, I'll only use BCM or equivalent quality upper/BCG and other name brand accessories and parts. Just the nature of my gun habit.

To me the SCAR 17 costs about the same as my .308 Maten, because I put close to the same amount into building it with the parts I wanted. The SCAR 17 is different, new, and by design it already comes with everything I'd ever think to put on it, minus optics of course. That saves me a lot of time and effort that could be better spent elsewhere. And that's worth it to me.

If I were to consider a SCAR 16 I'd say its about $1000+ more than I'd put into building an equivalent equipped AR. That's why I don't plan to buy a SCAR 16, it IS much more expensive, to me. Unless of course I really, really end up liking the 17, then I might end up selling a couple ARs and getting a 16 too.

The next question is, FDE or Black? I'm leaning FDE, it just looks right on the SCAR.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 11:54:08 AM EDT
[#19]
the FDE is more accurate
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 5:33:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
the FDE is more accurate
View Quote

I thought so too.

Just pulled the trigger on a FDE SCAR 17S.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:21:56 AM EDT
[#21]
The Scar 17 is great gun.... Add an Elcan Soecter Dr and it's an awesome gun!

Don't buy it so I can have more .308

For a semi get a Benelli... Ya can't beat the M4!
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:30:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The Scar 17 is great gun.... Add an Elcan Soecter Dr and it's an awesome gun!

Don't buy it so I can have more .308

For a semi get a Benelli... Ya can't beat the M4!
View Quote

Love my Benelli M4 and BLACK Scar17!

Have an Acog on mine, but thinking really really hard about a Leupold CQBSS or an Elcan 1-4 or 1.5-6. Ugh...
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:53:27 AM EDT
[#23]

I laugh harder every time I see this picture.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:11:00 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm not sold on the SCAR 17, too many reports of it's harsh recoil impulse damaging optics.

I'm all-in on the Benelli though
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 11:12:00 AM EDT
[#25]
I was able to pick up a 17 for a pretty good trade locally.  I am very pleased with it.  Shoots nice and handles well.  Looks bulky but doesn't feel like it at all.  I am still in limbo on which optic to put on mine.  I don't know what kind of role it will play in my collection, so it sit with the irons... for now...
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I plan on putting a vortex razor hd gen 2 on mine. I have heard about recoil impulse being "harsh"... And most recently read that the scopes which the scar chewed up were Elcans -which apparently were all from a defective batch and the rest is history. Any durable quality brand should be fine.

Decided to hold off on auto-shotty for now. After doing some safe organizing I realized I only have room left for the scar. Time for a boating trip I think.

At least I'll have more time to contemplate the Benelli m2 or m4.

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:31:14 PM EDT
[#27]
The SCAR 17s is my favorite firearm in my collection right now. Just a couple more parts and it will be done and it's one slick rig. I can't see topping it to be honest.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:10:39 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Just kidding.

View Quote

SCAR 17 eats optics.

For shotgun I suggest Beneli M4 or Win SX3. SX3 is the fastest, 12 rounds at 1.2 second and over half the price of the M4. A cheaper alterative to SX3 is Mossberg 930 a very reliable shotgun.

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 12:34:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Where does all this  come about SCARs eating optics come from I have two 17s neither have eaten my Bushnell Elite or NF. I have three friends that also have them, no problems with them. Two of my Buddies took them down range twice with no issues. They didn't break either time. They bought their own rifles. They used Elcans with no issues. Spare parts are avail., don't know about any broken parts that are a issue. The stock latch has been hyped but not a reall issue, or buy the new Kenetic Development. The rifle is a little more expensive than some but people spent over $2k for DPMS standard models not so long ago. KAC guns over $3k and so on. You won't go wrong with one, also you can't do better than a Benelli M4 or M2 Tactical
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 3:26:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Where does all this  come about SCARs eating optics come from I have two 17s neither have eaten my Bushnell Elite or NF. I have three friends that also have them, no problems with them. Two of my Buddies took them down range twice with no issues. They didn't break either time. They bought their own rifles. They used Elcans with no issues. Spare parts are avail., don't know about any broken parts that are a issue. The stock latch has been hyped but not a reall issue, or buy the new Kenetic Development. The rifle is a little more expensive than some but people spent over $2k for DPMS standard models not so long ago. KAC guns over $3k and so on. You won't go wrong with one, also you can't do better than a Benelli M4 or M2 Tactical
View Quote

It was only Elcan scopes which were breaking on SCAR heavy's. And rumor took flight about the SCAR eating optics.

I picked mine up the other day, great balance, just feels perfect in my hands. I already have an AD delta mount in FDE ready to go and will be pulling my vortex gen 2 hd 1-6 off my Maten and using it on the SCAR17. Can't wait to shoot it!
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 4:29:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Where does all this  come about SCARs eating optics come from
View Quote

From people on the internet who have no experience with the weapon and can't afford to own it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:38:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
From people on the internet who have no experience with the weapon and can't afford to own it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From SEAL. The entire discussion on SCAR 17 eating optics was bought up by SEAL.  Their optics failed them on SCAR 17 in the field. SEAL ditch SCAR 17 really fast once the optic issues were apparent.
http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?s=a627f90fae155ee57da41babf9a4fc6e&t=104622&page=2
It was only Elcan scopes which were breaking on SCAR heavy's. And rumor took flight about the SCAR eating optics.

I
picked mine up the other day, great balance, just feels perfect in my
hands. I already have an AD delta mount in FDE ready to go and will be
pulling my vortex gen 2 hd 1-6 off my Maten and using it on the SCAR17.
Can't wait to shoot it!

Elcan was not the only optic breaking. You need to do more research on the subject.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:50:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Again where does all this come from, while I won't give names, my Buddies who used 17s in country used 5.56 Elcans,( no 7.62 optics were avail.) on their rifles with good results,  none were SEALs as they all retired only SF!  Some Buddies have them on their personal weapons back here with excellent results! Any optic can fail, while I haven't shot thousand through mine, only hundreds of M80, my Buddies were using M118LR. Buy a SCAR and a good optic and enjoy
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:41:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Elcan was not the only optic breaking. You need to do more research on the subject.

View Quote

Yep, I've read about ACOGs breaking down on 17s
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:06:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Didn't the SCAR replace the mk12 as the go to SPR for military? If so they must be a sweet gun. I want one too.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:13:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I've read and heard was that some part of the Elcans mount/external adjustment would break, and supposedly has since been strengthened to compensate. I haven't read about ACOGs breaking until now.

I sold a ta11 acog a couple years ago to a guy who was going to use it on his scar17h because he was aware of the optic breaking issue and wanted something durable. guess I'll see soon if the vortex razor hd is up to snuff.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:03:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

SCAR parts are readily available.  Barrels are 1150-1200.  What in the blue fuck it top of the mark dollar bolt-guns?  Oh, and before you try and wow me with the  answer to that question, know that I have two Accuracy Internationals.(Though what relevance any of this has in a thread about a SCAR...)
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:05:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm not sold on the SCAR 17, too many reports of it's harsh recoil impulse damaging optics.

I'm all-in on the Benelli though
View Quote

That is an overblown issue and almost exclusively limited to full-auto 17's with a handful (not all) of scopes.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:06:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

SCAR 17 eats optics.

For shotgun I suggest Beneli M4 or Win SX3. SX3 is the fastest, 12 rounds at 1.2 second and over half the price of the M4. A cheaper alterative to SX3 is Mossberg 930 a very reliable shotgun.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just kidding.

SCAR 17 eats optics.

Please stop with this nonsense..
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:09:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

From SEAL. The entire discussion on SCAR 17 eating optics was bought up by SEAL.  Their optics failed them on SCAR 17 in the field. SEAL ditch SCAR 17 really fast once the optic issues were apparent.

http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?s=a627f90fae155ee57da41babf9a4fc6e&t=104622&page=2

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I picked mine up the other day, great balance, just feels perfect in my hands. I already have an AD delta mount in FDE ready to go and will be pulling my vortex gen 2 hd 1-6 off my Maten and using it on the SCAR17. Can't wait to shoot it!

It's you who needs to do more research.  This issue, which once again, is limited almost exclusively to full-auto variants, affected 3-4 manufacturers optics.  This is a non-issue with semi-autos.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:37:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It's you who needs to do more research.  This issue, which once again, is limited almost exclusively to full-auto variants, affected 3-4 manufacturers optics.  
This is a non-issue with semi-autos.
View Quote

The recent ACOG failure I read about was with a semi-auto.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:25:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just kidding.

SCAR 17 eats optics.

I have 2 17s, one with a T1 and one with a SWFA 1-6.  3k through each one, and no issues with the optics.  The rumors are f'ing BS and I'm sick of hearing it.  The recoil impulse isn't that much different than an AR10.  This nonsense needs to stop.  I have a feeling that most people are put off on the price of them and hate them for it.  They're not that pricey for what they are.  I also have 2 KAC SR25s, so I might be biased, lol.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:28:19 AM EDT
[#43]
I get the feeling that the "scar eating optics" reputation will be like the early reliability issues with the M16, it will haunt the rifle whether the issue exists or not. Any optic failure on a scar will be attributed to the scar itself, never the optic in question.

I do find it interesting that most of the parroting of the "scar eats optics problem" are mostly from people who either do not own one, or are invested in a competing rifle like the AR10 or M1A.

I would like to see some actual objective testing instead of random internet posts for concrete proof that scars destroy optics more often than other rifles.

For my own random internet post presented as concrete evidence, on my scar I've had a cheap Redfield in a PEPR mount work fine for 500rds. It now wears an Acog for 1000rds. No problems to report.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:24:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Took my SCAR out over the weekend; I only fired it with irons, I wanted to get a feel for it out of the box. Even though the trigger sucks, I actually shot better with it using irons than I did with my AR using an eotech, maybe because the SCAR is FF and the AR I used that day isn't. Overall I actually really like the SCAR irons.

The SCAR definitely pushes into my shoulder more than my .308 Maten, but at the same time seems just as or slightly more controllable despite being ligthter. For the record, my Maten does have an adj. gas block with JP LMOS BCG and JP SCS buffer, so its probably softer shooting than the average AR10.

Had no issue with the ergos, the handguard area feels a little bit short, but doesn't affect my grip too much, and I'm no Chris Costa, so I don't have any immediate need/plans for extending the rail. I'm really liking the SCAR platform so far... contemplating a 16s now...
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:09:44 PM EDT
[#45]
I briefly flirted with the idea of getting a SCAR 17. Bottom line, it is way overpriced for what it is. Shooting it next to a bud's POF 308, the POF was softer recoiling. I have decided that I can take the SCAR money and be better of with some other things. I still have an AR10 build going, and I can also get myself an FAL. A buddy of mine got to play with the SCAR when he was SOF, he bought a PTR. Just sayin..
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:44:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Very expensive and all the fucking parts break. They MURDER optics. Do your research prior to putting any glass on it.

You could get NV for the money. You could get an SBR 300blk with suppressor and a reloading stetup for the money.

You said too!

edit: Also I am so fucking jelly of your scar :( Black or FDE?
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:31:35 PM EDT
[#47]
FDE. The scar just looks good in FDE. Just like ARs look good in black.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:04:15 PM EDT
[#48]
You'll find that the majority of people that hate the SCAR have never owned or shot one.  Their negative view of the rifle is entirely based on the MSRP.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:52:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You'll find that the majority of people that hate the SCAR have never owned or shot one.  Their negative view of the rifle is entirely based on the MSRP.
View Quote

I believe there is truth to this. When the SCAR was first available I was working part time and couldn't afford to spend much on toys, I had one franken AR to my name and I wanted a SCAR badly, but the price tag made it instantly way out of my league and therefore it sucked and couldn't do anything my $600 parts gun couldn't.

Fast forward to the present, I've got a F/T career and making a lot more than I used to and have more toys including the SCAR. Unfortunately I've contracted SCARitis from the 17s, because I'm already planning on getting the 16s as soon as my LGS gets one in stock. 'Merica!
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 4:27:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top