Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2015 3:05:48 AM EDT
Is it possible to transfer the inserts from one carrier in to a completely different kind of carrier?  I have an old Interceptor and was thinking about upgrading, but only if I can reuse my panels (saves me a lot of money that way.  Is that possible to do?  If so which models and sizes will the panels fit?  The Interceptor is XL.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:16:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Granted they are the proper size i would recon so.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:45:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Granted they are the proper size i would recon so.
View Quote

They are indeed, it actually fits me great, it's just outdated.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:26:58 AM EDT
[#3]
That's not a stupid question. It has been asked many times; there are good old threads on the subject.

Around 2007 the Marines adopted the MTV, which accepts IBA soft armor panels of the same size. I believe the IMTV does as well. The MTV was based on the commercial Spartan II, which was discontinued I think.

Beez has current commercial offerings which accept IBA panels: http://beezcombatsystems.com/Interceptor-OTV-Carriers_c2.htm

Edit:

Sorry I gave you bad info. I thought I remembered stuff from reading about them 7 years ago, but apparently not. I went with a IOTV and plate carrier instead.

Here's good info: http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=10&t=248148

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That's not a stupid question. It has been asked many times; there are good old threads on the subject.

Around 2007 the Marines adopted the MTV, which accepts IBA soft armor panels of the same size. I believe the IMTV does as well. The MTV was based on the commercial Spartan II, which was discontinued I think.

Beez has current commercial offerings which accept IBA panels: http://beezcombatsystems.com/Interceptor-OTV-Carriers_c2.htm
View Quote

Beez is just to expensive for a carrier with no inserts, particularly given what complete interceptor vests are going for.

Doe anyone carry MTV carriers?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:23:33 PM EDT
[#5]
The MTV used MTV cut panels, which are two pieces (front and back) not including accessories. The IBA (interceptor OTV) uses a front opening configuration that is a 3 piece design. Thus a set of IBA inserts will not work with an MTV or IMTV carrier as the panels are a different layout (not to mention the differences in the cut itself).

OP, the IBA is a specific cut of armor separate and apart from BALCS/SPEAR, IOTV, MTV, or the various concealable cuts. You need something specifically designed to work with IBA/OTV cut armor. There are several options though they are getting harder to find these days as the system has been phased out by the military in favour of the IOTV and more often than not plate carriers. However they are out there as the system is still used by LE and plenty of foreign .mils and many are looking to upgrade what they have. The TAG Spartan, the BEEZ OTV carrier (several configs), the DBT Predator OTV (with the one piece front conversion bags), etc are all options and they convert the system from an older front open to a more modern side opening system while also reposition the panels to make up for the deficiencies of the cut (which is really the systems only big problem as the armor itself is still great and up to date so to speak).
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:30:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The MTV used MTV cut panels, which are two pieces (front and back) not including accessories. The IBA (interceptor OTV) uses a front opening configuration that is a 3 piece design. Thus a set of IBA inserts will not work with an MTV or IMTV carrier as the panels are a different layout (not to mention the differences in the cut itself).

OP, the IBA is a specific cut of armor separate and apart from BALCS/SPEAR, IOTV, MTV, or the various concealable cuts. You need something specifically designed to work with IBA/OTV cut armor. There are several options though they are getting harder to find these days as the system has been phased out by the military in favour of the IOTV and more often than not plate carriers. However they are out there as the system is still used by LE and plenty of foreign .mils and many are looking to upgrade what they have. The TAG Spartan, the BEEZ OTV carrier (several configs), the DBT Predator OTV (with the one piece front conversion bags), etc are all options and they convert the system from an older front open to a more modern side opening system while also reposition the panels to make up for the deficiencies of the cut (which is really the systems only big problem as the armor itself is still great and up to date so to speak).
View Quote

Do you have links to any of those?  With the exception of the Beez (to expensive) I was unable to find any of  them.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:13:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agree^^

Older IOTV is not designed to work in the new system as older system was 3 panels of soft armor; new carriers use 2 only.

To add more confusion there are even some minor differences in Army and Marine contract IOTV panels as well. This makes taking a old Army set of panels and putting them in a coyote brown Marine 3 panel carrier iffy.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 5:20:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Do you have links to any of those?  With the exception of the Beez (to expensive) I was unable to find any of  them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:42:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DBT doesnt make the Predator OTV any more afaik. You could try calling them, but I think they stopped making them after the move and the rest got blown out on ebay by the company that bought their closeouts. They went for dirt cheap, I mean like 35 bucks. That's where I bought mine. I dont think TAG is doing the spartan anymore either, but they may be able to do a custom job for you if you call them (or they may have old stock for that matter). Your best bet though is to hunt ebay and the boards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top