Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2015 7:49:39 AM EDT
I went to Academy today to pick up some target rounds. When I got to the shelves it was almost bare where they keep the 223/556, the shelves are still full of other calibers. I grabbed 7 boxes of Monarch 223 steel and thought I should sit on 'em if there's a shortage going on. I have nine 30 rnd boxes of ZQI 556 SS109 put away because I haven't seen any more of the ZQIs at Walmart. I still have 3 boxes of SD 223 at least (Fusion, AE HP and Hornady polymer tip).

What's going on guys? I know about the M855 but it fell through right?
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 11:50:39 PM EDT
[#1]
There was a run. Expect a few months for supply to catch up to the waning demand.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 11:54:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Another panic?
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 12:12:36 AM EDT
[#3]
A new Gander Mountain opened in Tulsa, OK last week (first one in OK).  I visited it today for the first time.  They have 55 gr M193 for $499 per 1,000, and they have several dozen cases, but I didn't see anyone buying it, especially me.

They had a few dozen boxes of M855 on display for $86 for 150 rd boxes.  I didn't see anyone buying that either.

Their handgun prices seemed high to me.  I didn't price any of their long guns, but the few tags that I could read across the counter on AR's seemed too high too.

They also had plenty of .223 & 5.56 in 20 rd boxes, but it all started at .50 to .60 per round, and went up from there.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 4:43:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I was able to get some from Midway, and my local walmart had some also, even a box with 800 rounds.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 6:48:11 AM EDT
[#5]
No shortage here, lots of 223-5.56 around.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 7:06:25 AM EDT
[#6]
what I've noticed is the lack of a good supply of bulk, brass cased .223 or 5.56 at decent prices (<$0.35/rd).  There is some availability of both but at prices I refuse to pay...
One manufacturer of brass cased .223 that I really like that appears to be completely sold out at the moment is Wolf Gold.
Can't find any bulk online to speak of.  I hope another shipment is due in from Taiwan soon!  

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 7:45:09 AM EDT
[#7]
i think gander mountain is typically expensive.

still a decent variety at local walmarts, although you can tell there was a bit of a run recently. still no /22lr
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 8:30:19 AM EDT
[#8]
OP, have you been living under a rock?  Time to get out of the basement once in a while.  

ATF announced they were going to ban the sale of M855.  This started panic buying for a couple of weeks.  ATF backed off for now due to strong backlash from folks and politicians.  The supply should be back soon though!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 9:09:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A new Gander Mountain opened in Tulsa, OK last week (first one in OK).  I visited it today for the first time.  They have 55 gr M193 for $499 per 1,000, and they have several dozen cases, but I didn't see anyone buying it, especially me.

They had a few dozen boxes of M855 on display for $86 for 150 rd boxes.  I didn't see anyone buying that either.

Their handgun prices seemed high to me.  I didn't price any of their long guns, but the few tags that I could read across the counter on AR's seemed too high too.

They also had plenty of .223 & 5.56 in 20 rd boxes, but it all started at .50 to .60 per round, and went up from there.
View Quote
I've never seen anyone buy those at a Gander, ever.  The last time I bought ammo at gander was either some .22 or 00 buck 12ga in 2013/14.  They actually had 175rds of 00 for $150, which wasn't turrible.

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 9:19:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:11:49 AM EDT
[#11]
SGAmmo.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:12:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Plenty online at the major ammo dealers. Prices coming back down too.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:44:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Plenty in the walmarts I have been to in DFW. The ammo cans on down... Just no 22.

Edit.. Can't spell today
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:00:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Our Academy had several 900 round ammo cans of Rio M855 for $449.  No thanks.  I didn't even know Rio made anything other than cheap shotgun shells.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:13:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

This...^.

Plenty of .223/5.56 to be had.  I have no problem finding good M193 and even M855.  

I have been buying PPU and PMC X-tac in both M193 and M855.  I also am buying Winchester M855 and even some Hornady TAP T2 and 5.56 Barrier.

There is also plenty of IMI Razor core and M193.

I see tons of Federal Lake City M855 and M193.

Was in Cabelas where they had plenty of various .223/5.56 including M855.

Just google.  Man...don't know what the problem is with some of you guys.  You just want to come on here and have others give you links without even doing a little research yourself?
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:29:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
OP, have you been living under a rock?  Time to get out of the basement once in a while.  

ATF announced they were going to ban the sale of M855.  This started panic buying for a couple of weeks.  ATF backed off for now due to strong backlash from folks and politicians.  The supply should be back soon though!!
View Quote

No dude, I expected the M855 to be short in supply, not the rest. The shelves at Academy and Walmart are practically bare of 223/556 but a few high dollar SD rounds. As I said I grabbed that 7 boxes of Monarch 223 steel.

They both got plenty of 762s though.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:59:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No dude, I expected the M855 to be short in supply, not the rest. The shelves at Academy and Walmart are practically bare of 223/556 but a few high dollar SD rounds. As I said I grabbed that 7 boxes of Monarch 223 steel.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP...you are in TX.  Get online and order what you want.  Its not that difficult.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 12:29:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

New to shooting then ?
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 9:40:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This...^.

Plenty of .223/5.56 to be had.  I have no problem finding good M193 and even M855.  

I have been buying PPU and PMC X-tac in both M193 and M855.  I also am buying Winchester M855 and even some Hornady TAP T2 and 5.56 Barrier.

Just google.  Man...don't know what the problem is with some of you guys.  You just want to come on here and have others give you links without even doing a little research yourself?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This...^.

I think what people want to shoot and for how much will dictate what's available...
I for one won't shoot steel cased ammo and won't pay more than $0.35/rd for .223.  Yes there is a selection of ammo out there but alot is steel and I refuse to support the drastic rise in ammo prices every time a "scare" comes along.  Some might not care - its their choice to maybe spend double of what they're used to.  
The ammoseek.com and gunbot.net results for .223/5.56 will support my statements.  
I was at my local BassPro and Dicks over the last couple of days and most of the ammo are 20 rd boxes @ $0.50 to over $1.00/rd.  A couple of boxes is fine for hunting or self defense applications but for going to range and blowing through a couple of hundred rounds - no way....

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:28:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I think what people want to shoot and for how much will dictate what's available...
I for one won't shoot steel cased ammo ....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This...^.

Why not? Never had an issues with any steel case. The wolf polymer is boxer primed so i get another 2 -3 use from it
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:29:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I for one won't shoot steel cased ammo and won't pay more than $0.35/rd for .223.  Yes there is a selection of ammo out there but alot is steel and I refuse to support the drastic rise in ammo prices every time a "scare" comes along.  Some might not care - its their choice to maybe spend double of what they're used to.  
The ammoseek.com and gunbot.net results for .223/5.56 will support my statements.  
I was at my local BassPro and Dicks over the last couple of days and most of the ammo are 20 rd boxes @ $0.50 to over $1.00/rd.  A couple of boxes is fine for hunting or self defense applications but for going to range and blowing through a couple of hundred rounds - no way....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This...^.

I just purchased 400 rounds of Privi M193 5.56 for $120  that's $0.30/rd.  Privi is very good brass cased ammo and its in 5.56 load.  Its also been rated as being quite accurate.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 12:06:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Why not? Never had an issues with any steel case. The wolf polymer is boxer primed so i get another 2 -3 use from it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This...^.

just personal choice

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 12:07:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I just purchased 400 rounds of Privi M193 5.56 for $120  that's $0.30/rd.  Privi is very good brass cased ammo and its in 5.56 load.  Its also been rated as being quite accurate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This...^.

that's a good find - haven't seen any around at that price and I've been looking pretty hard ;)
you're lucky...
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 1:02:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

When m855 was panic bought, it forced others to buy other brands AS WELL AS other calibers like x39, .308, etc
Panic on one caliber or bullet type doesn't just mean a shortage for that one particular item

Economics, how do they work?
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 7:29:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

that's a good find - haven't seen any around at that price and I've been looking pretty hard ;)
you're lucky...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This...^.

you're lucky...

Gunbroker.....plenty more auctions like that one with very few people bidding.

This seller has a lot of .223/5.56 auctions:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Rifle-Ammunition/BI.aspx?IncludeSellers=649111&ca=5000164

Here is one for 400 rounds of Privi M855:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=471704125
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 9:58:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Maybe someone got their tax refund and loaded up.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:16:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Combination of panic buying and recent tax return checks.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:49:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

The first time I visited gander mountain in Pensacola I was excited, had heard good things. Holy hell is that place overpriced!! They had a m&p15 sport for $719 and a 6920 for $1150!! Handguns were outrageous too, but what really killed me were the damn accesories,  $25 for a black Gen 2 pmag? They wanted $160 for a set of Mbus sights and $240 for the troy flip up sights next to them!!

Never again

Academy has actually had really good deals on green tips lately, and I bought some steel rounds from the local store for .20/round last week.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#29]
^^^ Cheaper Than Dirt they ain't!
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:11:22 AM EDT
[#30]
One of the local gun stores that I get 'stuff' from had lots of PMC 5.56 ammo the other day when I was in there.  The down side though was that it was $529/1000! Too rich for my blood!  For the time being though, I have enough components to reload 5.56 that I do not need to buy any of the 'over priced' stuff for a long while.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top