Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2015 1:53:37 AM EDT
I am looking to pick up and ultrasonic cleaner for use at my range and retail store.  We have a full time gunsmith and we offer cleaning services so I'm interested in offering that with the use of an ultrasonic cleaner.

How well do they clean?  

Is there anything I need to watch out for?  

Is it ok to clean aluminum and polymer?

Is there anything else I should know?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:24:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a Lyman cleaner and it works very well. I just drop my dirty parts in and hit the longest cycle and the crud floats to the surface. I use the Lyman Turbo Sonic cleaner with it. I haven't tried anything aluminum or poly, but it definitely cuts down on cleaning time. Firing pins, bolts, etc. all come out clean, and I put them in the oven for a few minutes to thoroughly dry them afterwards.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:55:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am looking to pick up and ultrasonic cleaner for use at my range and retail store.  We have a full time gunsmith and we offer cleaning services so I'm interested in offering that with the use of an ultrasonic cleaner.

How well do they clean? Very well. IF you use it correctly.

Is there anything I need to watch out for? DON'T LET THE WATER LEVEL GO BELOW THE INDICATED MARK

Is it ok to clean aluminum and polymer? PROVIDING YOU DO NOT USE SIMPLE GREEN, YOU'RE GTG

Is there anything else I should know?
View Quote

If i have a gun i run suppressed, i do a quick wipe down prior to using the sonic cleaner. It's not a miracle cleaning tool, where you insert gun (in pcs) and it comes out like a new gun, all the time.

How much does your business plan to charge for said cleaning service? That will give you a base line for an investment. They are not cheap and require cleaning, based on use. I suggest you have ventilation over the cleaner, have the person doing the cleaning wear a good fitting N95 or other quality respirator (not those cheap green / blue) multi fold pcs of crap.
Good fitting nitrile or latex gloves for handling items before and after.. Have a place where you can dump the residual from the cleaner. As it will contain lead.

For hand guns i've had good luck using liquid tide. BUT i'm not a business and have a fixed income.

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/professional-cleaning-systems/ultrasonic-cleaning-kits/turbo-sonic-power-professional-ultrasonic-cleaner-prod56028.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/professional-cleaning-systems/ultrasonic-cleaning-kits/f1200ht-ultrasonic-cleaning-system-prod26431.aspx
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Some sonic cleaners can damage some finishes, I have a medical grade sonic cleaner that will strip chrome off if left in there too long!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:52:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Some sonic cleaners can damage some finishes, I have a medical grade sonic cleaner that will strip chrome off if left in there too long!
View Quote
Yup!  I LOVE LOVE LOVE sonic cleaners BUT you ( OP ) must understand that little bitty bubbles are incredibly powerful.  They can beat the paint off of metal pretty quickly.    I have been meaning to experiment with paint into park finishes to see how they hold up...but paint over metal?  No contest...bubbles win.  I also want to see how CeraKote on a properly blasted but otherwise clean finish will hold up.  I CeraKote over park....this is one reason I do....BUT, I still don't know how well it will hold up in a sonic tank in either condition.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top