Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2014 2:00:00 PM EDT
My wife is going ELK hunting with my son and I. Her normal round is .244 Rem and this just won`t do. She will have a 0-300 yd. shot at both an elk and a mulie in Mt. I have an almost new/unused .300 for her and she is a pretty small gal. She told me that she`s willing to try the .300 with a brake. I`m sure she can do it ,,,I just don`t know about brakes as I`ve never used one. Help?
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 2:26:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah have fun with that.

For most recoil control, howitzer style brakes like JP Enterprises recoil eliminator or the old slant 2 port Armalite brake would do quite well.    Your ears and any bystanders will hate you though.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 2:33:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah have fun with that.

For most recoil control, howitzer style brakes like JP Enterprises recoil eliminator or the old slant 2 port Armalite brake would do quite well.    Your ears and any bystanders will hate you though.
View Quote

She has fired a .50 cal before. With brake. This is what I`m basing my hopes on. As mentioned I just don`t have any experience with brakes. Maximum recoil reduction is the goal.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 3:03:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I have both a 300WinMag and a 50BMG(als upper).

The 300WinMag may not tame all that well given the weight of the rifle.   It will take a good amount of the bite off of it but will still have an impulse.

I have not considered putting a brake on my 300winmag due to first hand experience with JP Ent brakes on ARs.    The amount of blast/noise coming back at the shooter with the Recoil Eliminator is outright painful noise wise.    As in 15 years of owning the rifle I have shot without hearing protection only 2 times.   Once to see how bad it was and once by accident and regretting the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 3:13:00 PM EDT
[#4]
This one...

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:26:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Friend had a Tikka in 300 Win Mag with a muzzle break.  I don't recall what kind, it was factory unit.  Very soft shooting but agonizingly loud.  You will definitely want ear pro when hunting.  Eye pro as well, the muzzle blast came back along with the noise.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Guys! Our son shoots PRS hence we both have really good hearing /eye stuff. I`ll make her wear a helmet too!
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:28:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Find a linear comp. It will tame the kick without the blast.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:43:22 AM EDT
[#8]
like 1st reply stated JP is probably the best. Not the best looking, but does its job very well.

edit- add a limbsaver pad too, that will help also
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:56:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
like 1st reply stated JP is probably the best. Not the best looking, but does its job very well.

edit- add a limbsaver pad too, that will help also
View Quote

The large OD JP Comp (Bennie Cooley) will work as well without the tank look if that bothers you.

Holland's Quick Discharge muzzle brake also works very well.

The best answer is the Silencerco Harvester (or similar) suppressor.

I do like the look of the JPRE on a bolt gun though.

I put one on a SAKO M995 .338 Lapua for a customer a few years ago.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:57:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I shoot a Rem PSS in .300WinMag. Personally, I think a brake generally makes little difference with perceived recoil but adds a whole lot of noise and concussive blast directed back towards the shooter (depending on the design). I avoid them altogether.

A previous post illustrated a suppressor. That might be the ideal (truly a game changer) if you have the time and are willing to jump through the hoops.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:07:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Try some of the reduced recoil ammo first. It will be fine for what you're doing and won't have the blast of a brake.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:18:53 AM EDT
[#12]
TX and MT are NFA friendly.

Suppressor...just saying.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:39:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Don't hunt with the brake.  You will have definite permanent hearing damage.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:53:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I had a Win 70 .300 without a brake and a Howa .300 Mag with a Vais brake.The Howa was definitely less recoil....but the blast was terrific..
 Do not shoot without ear protection.

http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:26:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
TX and MT are NFA friendly.

Suppressor...just saying.
View Quote

MT is not suppressor friendly when it comes to hunting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top