Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2014 9:20:43 PM EDT
I have none of either, but looking to gather a second platform.  I assume the AK would be a better route to go with for general 'prepping' or 'shtf' or whatever.

I have a 308 bolt gun and nothing in 7.62x39.  I keep seeing these z-pap or whatever come up for sale on aim and am thinking that isn't a bad way to go.

I don't have to have a traditional AK platform, unless it makes sense.

Or is the .308 AR platform where money should be invested.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:28:49 PM EDT
[#1]
308 ak?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:58:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have none of either, but looking to gather a second platform.  I assume the AK would be a better route to go with for general 'prepping' or 'shtf' or whatever.

I have a 308 bolt gun and nothing in 7.62x39.  I keep seeing these z-pap or whatever come up for sale on aim and am thinking that isn't a bad way to go.

I don't have to have a traditional AK platform, unless it makes sense.

Or is the .308 AR platform where money should be invested.
View Quote

You reload for the bolt and have a good supply of .308?  if so do another one. When i look at a different caliber i factor ammo (cost & availability), mags, optics (when applicable) you name it.  

I just passed on a super clean low mileage mid 80's? M1A Bush w/factory side folder, because i have no .308 or mags to feed it. Or do i feel like trying to find enough powder to reload either. .
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:16:01 AM EDT
[#3]
It depends.  They are two different cartridges and platforms.  If you want cheaper ammo go for the 7.62x39.  If you want more capability go .308.  It is all about how you plan to use the cartridge and personal preference on the platform.   They both have their niche.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:08:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
308 ak?
View Quote

Sure, Saiga or Vepr in .308.  I own both and like them a lot.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I didn't care for the N-pap. First thing I would have changed if I kept it is that buttstock.(Too big) I like the more traditional AK stocks. If weight matters you could build an AR in .308 that weighs less than the N-pap or the Scar 17 is about the same weight at just under 8lbs.

I'm sure you can get an AK to shoot very well but I don't know much about them. Seems very easy to get an AR shooting MOA or less.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top