Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/28/2014 3:02:33 PM EDT
Is this worth trading for?  I know Armalite doesn't support them much (if at all) anymore but I think a few other companies do.  Do they work well with Gen 2 Pmags?  Also, what would be a fair trade value these days?  Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:34:22 PM EDT
[#1]
As with anything firearm related, the "worth" it really is up to the individual buying it. Do you find yourself wanting an AR180? If you answer yes, then one can argue it is worth it to you.

To your value question, without knowing more about the condition of the item, rounds pushed through it and all around treatment of the rifle, it is impossible to assign value.

ETA: Personally, I will own one someday. The AR180 design has always been one of intrigue to me and actually is the bases of most of the worlds rifles.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 2:49:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Nodak Spud has released their ar180b metal lower replacement.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 2:55:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:55:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Seeing the AR180B made me go out and spend the money for a real Costa Mesa AR-180.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:39:37 PM EDT
[#5]
There are a couple of B's at a local shop but they want $900 each for them. If I could find one for the right price I might snag it and put one of the Nodak lowers on it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

And I have purchased one of these from Harlan and the guys at NoDak Spud.

These are very nice receivers - in spec and well machined and finished.

It is SO nice to no longer worry about the front hinges on the ArmaLite polymer lower accidentally cracking off.

If this happens to me, I will simply build up my NoDak Spud metal  lower and install it.   For now, I am keeping it "in reserve" so to speak.

They (NoDak Spud) also spoke about building a complete upper for the AR-180Bs in the future when they get time.  If that happens and the uppers are the same quality as the new lowers are, you could build a hell of a nice AR-180B type rifle.  

I, for one, will buy a complete upper from NoDak Spud when they eventually get made.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:04:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It is SO nice to no longer worry about the front hinges on the ArmaLite polymer lower accidentally cracking off.

If this happens to me, I will simply build up my NoDak Spud metal  lower and install it.   For now, I am keeping it "in reserve" so to speak.

They (NoDak Spud) also spoke about building a complete upper for the AR-180Bs in the future when they get time.  If that happens and the uppers are the same quality as the new lowers are, you could build a hell of a nice AR-180B type rifle.  

This a very interesting post.  I hope they chrome line the barrel when they do.
I, for one, will buy a complete upper from NoDak Spud when they eventually get made.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This a very interesting post.  I hope they chrome line the barrel when they do.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:36:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:52:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My intention is to make an upper kit that people can add an AR15 carbine barrel to and build their own upper.
View Quote

I eagerly wait the day! I've wanted an AR18 since forever.

My lust was rekindled after watching the movie Serenity. When they get to the planet Miranda Mel is on the surface with an AR18 with a free floating, round ventilated handguard. And a leather 1907 sling attached to the handguard and pistol grip. I sooo want a copy of that gun.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:54:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My intention is to make an upper kit that people can add an AR15 carbine barrel to and build their own upper.
View Quote

I wish the B gas block had the gas port a standard distance from the shoulder so it could clamp right on an AR barrel...
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:22:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There are a couple of B's at a local shop but they want $900 each for them. If I could find one for the right price I might snag it and put one of the Nodak lowers on it.
View Quote

That's not out of this world for a 180B. Don't they usually sell for $800 or so on EE?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:25:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Didn't they sell for around $600 when they came out?  I thought they were overpriced then.  If people are getting $800 for them, I know what I'm doing with mine!  ??
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:17:50 PM EDT
[#13]
It seems to be a darn good rifle that never got it's due. At 6lbs, it's lighter off the shelf than most AR's. What they're asking for them today isn't much out of line IMO, I'd probably pay it if I were in the market for one. They used to be plentiful on Gunbroker, but alas, I only see them every once in a while now.

If Armalite isn't going to resurrect the platform, then they should get off the pot and sell the patent, because I bet there's a company out there willing to take it to it's full potential.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:36:14 PM EDT
[#14]
$600 in 2002 dollars is ~$800 in 2014 dollars. So, $800 seems pretty fair to me - moderate appreciation, but offset by most of them being used.

If there was ever a time to buy the AR-180B tooling and patents, it seems like it's now. Armalite's new ownership appears to be aggressively cutting product lines, and there's no indication whatsoever they consider the AR-180B to be part of the new plan. A new AR-180B re-release with folding stock and a metal lower might be a decent seller.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:38:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
$600 in 2002 dollars is ~$800 in 2014 dollars. So, $800 seems pretty fair to me - moderate appreciation, but offset by most of them being used.

If there was ever a time to buy the AR-180B tooling and patents, it seems like it's now. Armalite's new ownership appears to be aggressively cutting product lines, and there's no indication whatsoever they consider the AR-180B to be part of the new plan. A new AR-180B re-release with folding stock and a metal lower might be a decent seller.
View Quote

If you can use AR barrels and handguards

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:10:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:13:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The patents are LOOOOOOONG expired.

Nobody (except some crazy MN boys) are going to tool up for a gun that didn't sell that well in the first place.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It seems to be a darn good rifle that never got it's due. At 6lbs, it's lighter off the shelf than most AR's. What they're asking for them today isn't much out of line IMO, I'd probably pay it if I were in the market for one. They used to be plentiful on Gunbroker, but alas, I only see them every once in a while now.

If Armalite isn't going to resurrect the platform, then they should get off the pot and sell the patent, because I bet there's a company out there willing to take it to it's full potential.

Nobody (except some crazy MN boys) are going to tool up for a gun that didn't sell that well in the first place.  

It was pretty popular with the Irish.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:37:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you could make a model that wasn't called the AR-180 (maybe call it the AR-360 or Widowmaker,  or whatever), those of us in named ban states would be eternally grateful. :)

Looking forward to hearing about your progress on this project!
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:49:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

ETA: It would be very difficult to use AR handguards with the AR-180 piston. It will have to be a purpose designed handguard system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA: It would be very difficult to use AR handguards with the AR-180 piston. It will have to be a purpose designed handguard system.

Amralite still sells the AR-180B hand guards, I was thinking about using a set for my MPAR project. To cut down on productions costs you can do what Leader Dynamics did with the T2 upper receiver. Just use a piece of square tubing
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:32:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If you could make a model that wasn't called the AR-180 (maybe call it the AR-360 or Widowmaker,  or whatever), those of us in named ban states would be eternally grateful. :)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its model name is NDS-18 IIRC.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:57:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mike when these get close sign me up for an upper and lower (Once the SO's hospital bills are done I may just buy a lower in anticipation anyway!)
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:41:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I eagerly await the day you do produce them.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:30:21 PM EDT
[#23]
I just purchased a Costa Mesa AR-180. Now that I see NoDak has a metal lower I'm going to be on the hunt for a AR-180B.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:35:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is exactly what I wanted to hear.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:39:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:21:43 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

How about some pron.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/NDS-18S_left.JPG

The Serial Number prefix stands for:

Stoner

Miller

Sullivan

Dorchester

View Quote
Nice.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:00:52 AM EDT
[#27]
I need to find an AR-180 upper!
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:36:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Nice.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about some pron.

<a href="http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/18_vz_58.JPG" target="_blank">http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/18_vz_58.JPG</a>

Stoner
Miller
Sullivan
Dorchester

Nice.

I like that. Is that a VZ stock?  Where did the adapter for that come from? I didn't see it on Stormwerkz website.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 3:56:41 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I like that. Is that a VZ stock?  Where did the adapter for that come from? I didn't see it on Stormwerkz website.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about some pron.

<a href="http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/18_vz_58.JPG" target="_blank">http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/18_vz_58.JPG</a>

Stoner

Miller

Sullivan

Dorchester

Nice.

I bet mike_nds made the adapter for the VZ stock after he got done making the lower.

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 4:10:52 AM EDT
[#30]
I already have a Costa Mesa.  It doesn't get out much.  Now I see Mike (NDS) is selling lowers and an upper,  I will be building another.

BTW,  NoDAk, Build this,

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 12:14:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I already have a Costa Mesa.  It doesn't get out much.  Now I see Mike (NDS) is selling lowers and an upper,  I will be building another.

BTW,  NoDAk, Build this,

http://www.regimentals.jp/auto/efea0692e85c53e0585edf713a406db8.jpg

View Quote

Just picked up a 180B yesterday, with the intention of having it cut down to that length.  Trying to determine if there are any smiths that work on 180's (semi-regularly, like I see for K2's), or if my best bet is Adco.

Regardless,  I'll be ordering an NDS-18 receiver post-haste and would definitely pick up an upper kit in the future from NDS if they roll them out!
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 7:08:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Off the top of my head, rifles using AR-180 technology;

SA-80/ L-85 series
Masada/ ACR
SAR-80, SR-88, SAR 21
HK G36
Type 89
Bushmaster M17S
Sterling SAR 87
Leader Dynamics Series T2 MK5
T65 series, T86 series
MPAR 556

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:00:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 2:10:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

SA-80/ L-85 series
Masada/ ACR
SAR-80, SR-88, SAR 21
HK G36
Type 89
Bushmaster M17S
Sterling SAR 87
T65 series, T86 series
MPAR 556

View Quote

Add the Kel-Tec SU-16 to that list too.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 12:10:49 AM EDT
[#35]
I always liked AR-180B's. They were cheaper than an AR15, yet used STANAG mags and were a respectful nod to their predecessor. I think it's great that there is renewed interest in this platform as market diversity is an awesome thing. I'd gladly give $650 for an updated AR-180B, polymer receiver or not. Put a folding stock on it, pic rail on top and delete the integral comp and roll.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 12:17:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I always liked AR-180B's. They were cheaper than an AR15, yet used STANAG mags and were a respectful nod to their predecessor. I think it's great that there is renewed interest in this platform as market diversity is an awesome thing. I'd gladly give $650 for an updated AR-180B, polymer receiver or not. Put a folding stock on it, pic rail on top and delete the integral comp and roll.
View Quote

There is renewed interest from everyone EXCEPT Armalite
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 12:40:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SA-80/ L-85 series
Masada/ ACR
SAR-80, SR-88, SAR 21
HK G36
Type 89
Bushmaster M17S
Sterling SAR 87
T65 series, T86 series
MPAR 556

And the Australian Auto Arms SAP and SAR...

And kinda-sorta the M82A1...

(I need to get around to taking some pic's of the SAR...)

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 11:26:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/VonErnst/Jokes/IMAG00461.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/VonErnst/DSCF2011.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/VonErnst/woof/DSCF2258.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SA-80/ L-85 series
Masada/ ACR
SAR-80, SR-88, SAR 21
HK G36
Type 89
Bushmaster M17S
Sterling SAR 87
T65 series, T86 series
MPAR 556

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/VonErnst/Jokes/IMAG00461.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/VonErnst/DSCF2011.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/VonErnst/woof/DSCF2258.jpg

AAA took over production of the Leader T2 with minor changes. Interesting note, Charles St. George(Leader Dynamics) worked for Barrett for a while, but not in the design section.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 12:21:52 PM EDT
[#39]
I wouldn't bother unless you just really want the thing. The AR15 is so much more versatile in comparison. I do have an old ar180 (costa mesa) for collector purposes only, bought cheap from a guy who needed $. It gets shot every year or 2. I wouldn't bother with the B model myself though.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 12:57:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 3:06:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
There are several advantages of the AR-180 over the AR-15 types.

1. cleaner piston operation

2. shorter recoil spring arrangement allows for folding stocks

3. for 1" longer lower receiver you can build a pistol that is around 5"-7" shorter than an AR-15.

4. line of sight is closer to the bore

5. it's a sexy bitch  
View Quote

Yeah, baby!
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 1:42:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Can that be done with all these NDS-AR180b receivers? How about release one that uses some other side folders?

Quoted:
The only thing I did to the VZ stock was mill off the locating tab on the back and get a new screw from Home Depot.

I will be putting a locating pin on it to interface with the lower locking hole on the receiver.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/NDS-18S_vz_rear.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 3:52:51 AM EDT
[#43]
This thread seems interesting. I've always been interested in an AR-18.

Also, why not just modify FAL handguards to fit?
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 12:40:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The AR15 is so much more versatile in comparison.
View Quote

How so?
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 12:58:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

How so?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?

I think he is refering to the aftermarket the AR-15 has. Ar-15's are like Legos, you can build anything with all the parts currently available.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 1:48:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I think he is refering to the aftermarket the AR-15 has. Ar-15's are like Legos, you can build anything with all the parts currently available.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?

If that is what he meant, then it is hard to disagree.  However, if the AR-18 had become U.S. Rifle 5.56 M16 instead of the AR-15, and saw the same evolution and refinement, I have no doubt it would be just as versatile.  Just look at the family linage the 18 has to its credit, despite being seen in history as one of Stoners' footnotes.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 3:08:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The NDS-18S will take off the shelf adapters from Stormwerkz. These will allow you to mount many stock types.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can that be done with all these NDS-AR180b receivers? How about release one that uses some other side folders?

Quoted:
The only thing I did to the VZ stock was mill off the locating tab on the back and get a new screw from Home Depot.

I will be putting a locating pin on it to interface with the lower locking hole on the receiver.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/NDS-18S_vz_rear.JPG

The NDS-18S will take off the shelf adapters from Stormwerkz. These will allow you to mount many stock types.

Really hoping their folding adaptor comes back in stock soon.  I'm a bit wary of ordering it on Out of Stock.  Do they usually replenish OoS items rapidly, or could it be a long, long while?

Link Posted: 11/7/2014 1:18:21 AM EDT
[#49]
You know, you guys can release a modernized AR180b lower, and use the existing upper, or even eventually build up a full rifle using AR18 upper assemblies and other AR parts. The HK G36 and even ACR doesn't stray too far from the AR180b formula, so you can make a great rifle using AR180b system as its heart.

The current lower looks pretty good, but there's no real point to emulate the AR180b since it will never match the originals in the looks department as this will always be an alloy lower. Therefore, you might as well just go big and make the AR180b basic rifle something more than what it was. Personally I'd rather buy a modern AR180b lower with streamlined lower and grip form outline and use a comfy skeleton side folder. This way you'll get a great piston rifle out of the old AR180b.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 3:42:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Can I put an ar-15 magpul ubr on it?  

I mean every AK has one on it these days
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top