Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2014 10:24:09 PM EDT
Well as many of you now know (or not) the Galil Ace is 7.62x39 is slated for release by IWI in March 2015.

This is the first modern platform to come along that I might be interested in.

Does anyone know if the entire lower receiver is ploymer, or just the trigger and magazine housing?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:51:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Well as many of you now know (or not) the Galil Ace is 7.62x39 is slated for release by IWI in March 2015.

This is the first modern platform to come along that I might be interested in.

Does anyone know if the entire lower receiver is ploymer, or just the trigger and magazine housing?
View Quote

4 page thread here:

AK forum -> galil ace thread

iirc it's just the lower 3rd of the lower if that makes sense which is poly
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:19:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes it does and thats what I thought. Evidently the rest is milled steel?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:49:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, the rest of the receiver is a machined forging. Using the polymer lower 3rd allows the use of the same receiver in multiple calibers, it also allows the ACE to weigh less than the older Galil models.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:55:39 AM EDT
[#4]
The ace weighs 8lbs! Jesus how much did the old one weigh? Im so sick of every new platcorm future gun has to weigh 8 freaking pounds! I dont want a ten pound rifle fack! Pushups or not
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The ace weighs 8lbs! Jesus how much did the old one weigh? Im so sick of every new platcorm future gun has to weigh 8 freaking pounds! I dont want a ten pound rifle fack! Pushups or not
View Quote

I agree with that but this is sorta an old design. I really have trouble warming up to guns that weigh more than my AR( 6lbs 8oz with optic/light) When it starts to hit 8lbs it better be a .308. The galil however would look good with classic furniture.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:18:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

The tradeoff is that you get an AK with optics capability that you can fill with sand and it still works.

Seems like the perfect AK to me - optic-ability, thumb switch and left side charging.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:10:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Here are the classic Galil weights:

SAR 5.56mm: 3.75 kg (8.27 lb)
AR 5.56mm: 3.95 kg (8.7 lb)
ARM 5.56mm: 4.35 kg (9.6 lb)
SAR 7.62mm: 3.85 kg (8.5 lb)
AR 7.62mm: 3.95 kg (8.7 lb)
ARM 7.62mm: 4.45 kg (9.8 lb)
Sniper: 6.4 kg (14 lb)
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:36:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I agree its nice but my ak weighs around seven pounds with a big honky russian red dot on it so its not heavy from being an ak, its just heavy.. milled ak's weigh 7 1/2 pounds so i dont get why this is so heavy for? The tavor seems rediculously heavy too, i dont understand why.. but whatever isreal and their boat oars..
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:10:51 PM EDT
[#9]
What's with the weight complaints? The Galil ACE 32 is 7.6lbs, which is about the same as an AK-103. That's perfectly competitive in their target demo, especially given that the ACE is coming with a quad rail and collapsing stock.

You want a gun made out of steel and not aluminum or polymer, you're gonna take a weight hit, simple as that. No free lunches.

Also, the SAM7SF weighs 8.5lbs, just to keep the comparison.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:25:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Seems to be pretty comparable with my SIG 556XI in 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Except for all the problems Sig has.

Their Gen 1 rifles had serious issues. Most were fixed with the Gen II but the durability is still in question. A member with several thousand rounds through his posted about all the parts breakages.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:58:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Their Gen 1 rifles had serious issues. Most were fixed with the Gen II but the durability is still in question. A member with several thousand rounds through his posted about all the parts breakages.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think you are confusing the 556R with the 556XI.  I haven't heard of many problems with the XI, except for two or three with binding of the piston in the gas tube in the early 5.56 guns, and my experience with the gun not liking old Norinco 7.62x39 rounds.  I have zero problems with my XI in 5.56, and my XI in 7.62 runs fine with newer ammo like Red Army and Tula.

Besides, the reliability of the U.S. civilian ACE is unknown since I don't think many have been built yet.  I would expect them to be pretty reliable, but we'll have to wait and see.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:26:39 PM EDT
[#13]
It seems that unlike Sig and some other companies, the Israelis build the civilian versions of their platforms to the same specs and standards as their military versions.

That being said it doesn't yet have the proven status of the higher end ARs and AK systems. One can only surmise that it will be a great gun.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:51:38 PM EDT
[#14]
The galil was criticized for being heavy

So basically the ACE is a lightened up Galil.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Think you are confusing the 556R with the 556XI.  I haven't heard of many problems with the XI, except for two or three with binding of the piston in the gas tube in the early 5.56 guns, and my experience with the gun not liking old Norinco 7.62x39 rounds.  I have zero problems with my XI in 5.56, and my XI in 7.62 runs fine with newer ammo like Red Army and Tula.

Besides, the reliability of the U.S. civilian ACE is unknown since I don't think many have been built yet.  I would expect them to be pretty reliable, but we'll have to wait and see.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not confusing the two. I was speaking solely about the 556R although I should have specified. The XI in 7.62 hasn't been out long enough to determine anything. Your report is the only one I think I've seen so far.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top