Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2014 1:42:37 PM EDT
Been thinking about a shorter rifle for fun at the range, carry in the vehicle, and possibly 100 yard hunting. Shorter than 12" barrel (I guess allow 16" for sidefolder so the rather wide SB-47 wouldn't be folding), 7.62x39, 2-4 MOA with hunting ammo, red dot sight or 1-6 optic; threaded muzzle and folding stock if possible.  An AR's reliability in this caliber doesn't worry me, but with all of the choices, melonite, NIB etc, it's hard to know what is needed and what is not.  But looking at AKs lately the choices don't seem to be much thinner.  I've never had an AK before, so I don't really know much about what to look for aside from milled vs. stamped receiver, and don't know if one with that short a barrel would meet the accuracy i am looking for.  And finally, looking to stay below $1K for gun/furniture needed for optics, and say 3 30rd or more mags, with a 10rd mag if possible.

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 2:10:46 PM EDT
[#1]
How about a Mini Drago pistol?
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:07:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How about a Mini Drago pistol?
View Quote

Draco, Mini Draco. They run about $700+ if you can find one. The PAP pistol is nice. Efile form 1 then add a side folder.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:10:18 AM EDT
[#3]
If you're going hunting in Kentucky, a 7.62x39 pistol is far more useful than a 5.56.

Yugo PAP  would be my 1st choice.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:21:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Bullet_ I don't' own a 5.56 or ammo.  I'm a commie with a 5.45. Either would be in 7.62x39.  Will the Yugo PAP have the accuracy?

Jim, I honestly don't see a reason to SBR anymore.  I am not rooted in this state, and don't want to be limited to where I can take my guns.  Hence 16" if sidefolder.

How are the optic mounting choices for AKs?  And how unweildy is an Ak pistol?  Muzzle rise etc?  I would like for my 4'11 100lb wife to shoot whatever I get.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 5:03:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

How are the optic mounting choices for AKs?
View Quote

Numerous.  How many options are available to you depends on the AK in question.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:27:14 PM EDT
[#6]
A wasr/npap with any folding stock should do. Then add an MI or RS sidemount  

This should put you at about 7-800 depending on what you get and If you can get good deals, leaving you enough to get a few mags and maybe even a bushnell/holoson/Primary arms red dot.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:01:14 PM EDT
[#7]
A 10.5 inch AR pistol works good.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:39:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I guess I could add the Sig556r to the list.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 4:53:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Get an under folding  Yugo.  A full size rifle just a little more compact than a side folder and a little bit shorter than a AR pistol with 10.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:01:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Bullet_ I don't' own a 5.56 or ammo.  I'm a commie with a 5.45. Either would be in 7.62x39.  Will the Yugo PAP have the accuracy?

Jim, I honestly don't see a reason to SBR anymore.  I am not rooted in this state, and don't want to be limited to where I can take my guns.  Hence 16" if sidefolder.

How are the optic mounting choices for AKs?  And how unweildy is an Ak pistol?  Muzzle rise etc?  I would like for my 4'11 100lb wife to shoot whatever I get.
View Quote

I used to be pure commie rifle as well. I'm like a crack addict though with ammo. It goes up in smoke quickly, no matter how much I buy.
Now that 5.45 and 7.62 costs nearly the same as 5.56, I committed treason by letting my AK stuff go and went straight AR15s.

I would never own a 7.62x39 AR. They have pathetically unreliable magazines and are known to be bolt breaking bitches.
If you want a 30 cal AR with the ballistics of 7.62X39, buy a 300 Blackout and have a reliable, hassle free stick straight out of the box.

--------------------------------------

The PAP will shoot as good as any AK , no real loss in accuracy in field use. The reason is that while the shorter barrel gives less theoretical accuracy, the shorter piston has less "whip" than the full size AK's piston.
My old GF preferred the SBR/pistol AKs ( and ARs) over the full size rifles. In fact, most people do.
You lose very little practical velocity in 7.62x39 and gain a ton of "handiness" over a 16" rifle.

A long barrel AK will be more accurate on the bench or from a fixed hunting stand with a rifle rest.
OTOH, the balance of the shorties is far superior to the full size rifles.

The 10.5" barrel Romanian Draco has the best length/velocity/weight compromise of all AKs IMHO.
However, the quality of Romanian AKs is on the bottom rung and Yugo AKs are on the top shelf with Polish and Hungarian AKs.
With today's retail prices for Romy AKs vs Yugos, I wouldn't consider a Romy unless it was a smoking deal from a private seller.

---------------

You can put an ACE AK sidefolder trunnion on the PAP, folding to the right, with the Sig Brace.
That would keep it as short as the regular pistol AK.

For the optics, I had a Primary Arms red dots on my AKs for years and it was the perfect balance of cost, light weight and simplicity.

When my eyes were better, I preferred the Ultimak railed gas tube replacement and a micro red dot.
The combination of simplicity, ultra low weight and ruggedness was the best for me.
http://ultimak.com/

The US Palm optic mount/front handguard replacement and other like it weren't worth the weight/cost trade off compared to the Ultimak IMO.

--------

Now that I am older and have astigmatism, red dots became a no-go and etched glass optics are a must.
On the cheap end I use the Vortex X1 Spitfire or Primary Arms PAC 2.5X red dot on the shorties and a 1x4 scopes on the long range stuff.
I haven't decided on a favorite yet.

There are several add-on receiver rail mounts available. Stick the the ones that use the Russian/Romanian mounting style.
Apex has them for $20 and K-Var for an ass raping $45. They are a piece of cake to put on.

Also, you can set up the Ace folding trunnion to fold to the right.
That would allow an optic to stay mounted at all times.

The patented RS Regulate side mount is the cat's ass and the standard by which all other side mounts can be judged.
http://rsregulate.com/
The MI knock off is a few bucks cheaper, but sacrifices any possibility of a proper cheek welded co-witness and the rapid shooting field accuracy that goes with a proper cheek weld.

All other rail mounts are also some type of compromise of versatility, weight, or massively retarded height over bore in exchange for lower cost compared to the RS Regulate mount.

RS mount with a Votex

The railed mounts that replace the hinged top cover on the PAP are an option, but they don't hold zero well.
The hinge simply wasn't designed for that much weight or torquing stress banging around in a vehicle.
Other " odd-ball" mounts and top cover replacements should be avoided.
They aren't popular with serious shooters for a lot of good reasons.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:56:29 PM EDT
[#11]
under folder AK more versatile. to me a truck gun must be in a caliber that will defeat auto glass and car doors.  yes 5.56 will but 7.62x39  will do it better.

you may want to look at a ar pistol in 300 blk
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:53:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Barrel length has almost nothing to do with accuracy as long as you have complete burn and are shooting under the transonic limit of your cartridge.

Btw shorter is more accurate

Stop spreading lies.

You are confusing sight radius and barrel length.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:18:49 PM EDT
[#13]
What I'm going to get from J&G Sales:

CAI Centurion 39 AK Style Pistol, 7.62x39, Milled Receiver, USA Mfg - $500

+

SB47 Stabilizing Brace for AK & PAP Style Pistols - $120

=

Libtards pissing pants - priceless

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:28:14 PM EDT
[#14]
One of my "truck" guns.  Being a pistol, I can keep it loaded and uncased in my vehicle if desired with my CCW permit.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:02:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Caliber is 7.62x39, nothing else being considered.

Bullet_, what did/are you using for the 1-4 optic mounting?  The plan was to use the 1-6x24 from the SKS on whatever I buy.

Wganz, I have read that most Century Arms aren't the best, is this one of the few that aren't?  What thread is the muzzle?

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:28:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Bullet_, what did/are you using for the 1-4 optic mounting?  The plan was to use the 1-6x24 from the SKS on whatever I buy.

View Quote

I never ran a scope on an AK. Seemed like overkill to me.
However, it looks like either a pair of the RS Regulate 30mm tube clamps or the AKR full length rail would fit the bill.
The deciding factor is going to be the diameter of the scope at the rear.  I'd call them and see what they say.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:57:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Caliber is 7.62x39, nothing else being considered.
Wganz, I have read that most Century Arms aren't the best, is this one of the few that aren't?  What thread is the muzzle?  
View Quote

I don't have personal hands on experience with this one but this milled receiver variant has received rave reviews.
Good enough that I'm going to take a chance on one.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:29:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Liquid metal, is that a folder, or locked?  if a folder, how tall does it sit?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:36:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Liquid metal, is that a folder, or locked?  if a folder, how tall does it sit?
View Quote

Just a standard SB-47 on there, not a folder.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:57:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Another vote for one of the PAP's

Doc
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:32:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

That AK pistol that takes Pmags is one hell of a deal IMO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top