Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2014 2:43:01 PM EDT
I have recently been thinking of getting a bolt action rifle primarily for target shooting (public range I go to has 400 yards available so I won't be shooting much past that). I am debating between a .223 bolt action vs one chambered in .308. The .308 seems to make more sense as it seems to be a more versatile round and is more "at home" in a bolt action vs a .223. I own a Colt 6920 outfitted with a Vortex Strikefire that I shoot reasonably well out to about 200 yards, however, a .223 bolt action sounds promising to use out to about 300 yards because I won't burn through my ammo as fast and it would be nice not to have to stock up on another caliber (I do not currently reload).

I haven't really gotten into hunting, but I do have access to my father's Winchester Model 70 in 30-06 that he doesn't shoot anymore if I ever wanted to hunt (No .223 for deer/elk here in WA state). I was just wondering on what your thoughts were on the two chamberings in a bolt action rifle for target shooting. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 2:56:32 PM EDT
[#1]
It is only 400 yards either will do.

Only thing is are you shooting paper or steel.

At 600 yards 223 barely moves the plates and the ting sound is faint. Can only really
tell I hit is because of the lead cloud. 308 is better at ringing steel

If paper just get shoot n see targets and 223 is good to go.

Btw 223 is good on steel to 300. Never tried 400 we only had 600 yard targets
At the range after 300.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 3:37:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

At 600 yards 223 barely moves the plates and the ting sound is faint. Can only really

At the range after 300.
View Quote

I will be shooting a little bit of both, I currently only have one steel gong that is AR500 steel, but that is a good consideration about the noise level. I only have really shot the gong out to 200 yards with my AR and I could hear the shots impact fairly loud (I also use electronic muffs) but it is definitely a world of difference in noise when its hit with a 30-06 or even a .270

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Savage 10FP in .223 that I can make consistent hits at 400+yds with 69 gr Sierra Match Kings, including my best personal accuracy ever going 5 for 5 on a 4" plate at 400yds (so yes, 1MOA).  If you are just punching paper stick to .223 to cut down on the calibers you have to stock.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:08:17 PM EDT
[#4]
223 ammo is much cheaper to buy or reload, it is also easier on the shoulder.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:35:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
223 ammo is much cheaper to buy or reload, it is also easier on the shoulder.
View Quote

I like the fact that it is cheaper, and it is also nice to be able to do high volume shooting without turning my shoulder purple. However, I almost see the added recoil of the .308 as a positive because sometimes the .223/5.56 seems a little light, especially in my AR and sometimes a little more recoil can make it more fun for me. Although I have to say after about 40 rounds in 30-06 from the bench I would be singing a different tune.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:40:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I see the only downside to a bolt gun in .223 and what you want is that the holes get hard to see through a spotting scope, depending on how far and how good your spotting scope is.  Or how far off the paper you are.  LOL.  But like someone said, use shoot n see I guess.  

Personally, I have longed for a bolt gun in a caliber that doesn't beat you up.  It's kind of like my perfect picture of what rifle shooting is all about.  I like shooting groups. And distance.  And now with my eyes getting older, I like scopes.   And sometimes an AR just makes you want to pull the trigger too fast.  It's almost hard to NOT shoot fast with an AR.   Which sometimes just gets dumb.  With the prices of ammo.  Don't get me wrong, they are much more capable of dealing with threats in a dangerous situation, as you have more ammo and firepower on tap.  But for fun shooting, I think a bolt gun is the way to go.  

And yeah, as far as recoil goes, pfffffft, .308 can get stiff and that's not overly fun for me either.  Although you did say you like recoil.  What if you go with something inbetween.  I have always thought that a 6.8 bolt gun would be cool.  Or you could do something more traditional like a .243.  Or there is that competition round, what is it, the 6mm PPC something or other.  All that ammo would be harder to get though, besides the .243.

If you do get one, let us know what you got!!!
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 4:22:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Completely agree with you about shooting too fast with an AR, I go through a lot of ammo really fast even when my plan is to just shoot slow groups I usually just start shooting steel and go through way more ammo than I plan to. And yeah if the shit did in-fact hit the fan I feel that my AR has my defensive rifle role filled just fine (I just don't think I would ever be in the position where I would need to take out two legged targets past 300 yards in any civilian encounter, even in a SHTF scenario, but thats another argument).

I feel like the more and more I think about it, I want a .223 bolt action for ammo compatibility and as a more "fun plinking round" that isn't a ,22. But then whenever I think I have my mind made up, I want a .308 again. Hm, guess it will just come down to how I feel the day I make my way to my LGS. As a side note, I originally planned on building a new SPR upper for my AR, however, I have changed my thinking into wanting a slower shooting bolt-action range gun.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 6:05:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Range toy.

Get something that looks nice and that you enjoy shooting.

Alternatively, get away from that public range and the benchrests.
Look into competitive shooting.
Competitive shooting will require a gun that is pretty much good for one thing. You won't know what that one thing is until you pick your game.

Any old Remington 770 with $100 scope will do fine at the public benchrest range.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 6:30:27 PM EDT
[#10]
The 223 is extremely capable out to 600 yards. High power shooters have the loads figured out. It's inexpensive and all day shooting comfortable. Will you have to read the wind better?  Yes, but that is part of the fun.

308s are tons of fun, but at mid range, a 223 rifle is tough to beat for paper and steel.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:06:37 AM EDT
[#11]
For what your talking about I don't see why your current ar won't fit the bill,  if your just looking into getting yourself a bolt action then yes I'd go .223 for the ranges and purposes you describe. The longest range I have acess to is 400yds and I feel like the .223, in my case a 20" ar, fits the bill perfectly. When I'm gettin serious about groups at that range I grab my bolt rifle which in my case is a 30-06.

I like to setup clays on the 400 yd berm. Great visual indication of where your hitting, and clays are 4" which is 1 moa out there. Dusting a clay out at 400 with any of my rifles feels so good and addicting.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 12:21:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
For what your talking about I don't see why your current ar won't fit the bill,  if your just looking into getting yourself a bolt action then yes I'd go .223 for the ranges and purposes you describe. The longest range I have acess to is 400yds and I feel like the .223, in my case a 20" ar, fits the bill perfectly. When I'm gettin serious about groups at that range I grab my bolt rifle which in my case is a 30-06.

I like to setup clays on the 400 yd berm. Great visual indication of where your hitting, and clays are 4" which is 1 moa out there. Dusting a clay out at 400 with any of my rifles feels so good and addicting.
View Quote

Yeah, I know if I put some money into some new glass for my AR, freefloated it, and drop a new trigger into it, it would be more than capable out to those ranges, I just feel like having a fun bolt gun to do some slower and more "leisurely" firing at distance. And I'm not going to lie, I absolutely love working a bolt on a rifle, especially after hearing the twang of steel in the distance.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 2:11:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The 223 is extremely capable out to 600 yards. High power shooters have the loads figured out. It's inexpensive and all day shooting comfortable. Will you have to read the wind better?  Yes, but that is part of the fun.

308s are tons of fun, but at mid range, a 223 rifle is tough to beat for paper and steel.
View Quote

I've done a little bit of distance shooting and that's how I feel about the wind.  My range is on Lake Michigan and it's almost always windy.  It has a 600 yard military style range and hosts competitions and such.  For me, it seems like the .223 can be more affected by wind.  But everyone says that the AR's rule the HiPower scene nowadays.  I always wonder how it is at Camp Perry because IT is right on the lake too.  And I would think the guys with the .308's would have to work less at figuring out the wind.  Maybe it's the lack of recoil and the AR platform itself that lends itself to being a tad superior in HiPower rifle shooting.  

Anyways......
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 3:07:52 PM EDT
[#14]
308 has more choices for match ammo but as pointed out is more expensive to shoot. I would get a savage hog hunter or one of the new ruger Americans (predator or ranch) in 223 for a budget gun. Sky is the limit though so you can get whatever you want. The rugers have a fast enough twist for heavy bullets too
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I have another suggestion.  Start rolling your own .30-06 to whatever stiffness you like.  The sky is the limit there too.  So many choices.  You could make subsonic rounds if you wanted to go that light on the recoil.  hehehe  

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:23:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
308 has more choices for match ammo but as pointed out is more expensive to shoot. I would get a savage hog hunter or one of the new ruger Americans (predator or ranch) in 223 for a budget gun. Sky is the limit though so you can get whatever you want. The rugers have a fast enough twist for heavy bullets too
View Quote

Yeah I am more than likely looking at a more "budget" gun as I can't justify spending more on a fun range toy with optics than on my AR, at least not right away. Also I consider myself more of a handgun guy so I would much rather save the extra money and put it toward the XDs 4.0 in 45 that I am also interested in right now. As far as the Ruger American line-up I only have held one in my LGS (chambered in 308) and read up online. Anyone here have any experience with the Ruger American in .223? I have also heard a lot of good things from the Savage line-up, as well as from CZ. Ah, so many choices..
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 4:55:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Tikka T3. A step above budget but they have nice triggers and a super smooth bolt. I almost buy one every time I pick them up!
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 6:26:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I've done a little bit of distance shooting and that's how I feel about the wind.  My range is on Lake Michigan and it's almost always windy.  It has a 600 yard military style range and hosts competitions and such.  For me, it seems like the .223 can be more affected by wind.  But everyone says that the AR's rule the HiPower scene nowadays.  I always wonder how it is at Camp Perry because IT is right on the lake too.  And I would think the guys with the .308's would have to work less at figuring out the wind.  Maybe it's the lack of recoil and the AR platform itself that lends itself to being a tad superior in HiPower rifle shooting.  

Anyways......
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyways......

Using 80s or VLD 75s seated long gives a large nudge to the ballistics.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 6:37:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyways......

Up until fairly recently you couldn't use any 308 except the M1A which was giving up quite a bit in accuracy. A while back they added the 308 AR's to the list for service rifle so I was wondering if anyone was using them successfully.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:01:12 PM EDT
[#20]
For the ranges you listed and the fact its mainly a bench gun I would go with the 223, probably be easier for you to sit at the bench with a 223 compared to 308 for a fun afternoon, ammo is cheaper, I am a big fan of 223 bolt guns though so I guess I am a bit biased if you feel like a bigger gun there is always the 06 the family member said you could use.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:39:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyways......

Yeah, I've never shot the 80's.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:12:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

At the range after 300.
View Quote
400 I can hear the hits , but 5/600 is faint and I prefer a spotter.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top