Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2014 12:31:11 PM EDT

A local pawn shop has an older Remington 700, wood stock so I think it's a BDL, in .243. I am tempted but have always considered .243 a little small for deer unless it's a perfect broadside shot and a little large for small varmints. It seems perfect for 'yotes but too light for hogs.
Has ammo and bullets for handloading changed over the last few decades to change this?
There are better caliber choices, including .223, but this caliber has always intrigued me. It may be that I just want it to be better than it is.

Any .243 shooters here?
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 12:45:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't help you with the .243 specifically - but the 700 BDL has an operable floor plate on the magazine.  IIRC the ADL has a fixed floor plate (you have to work the bolt to empty the magazine).
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 12:50:21 PM EDT
[#2]
The .243 is a great cartridge for both deer and coyote. one of my favorites
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 1:01:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I liked the .243, but in 4 different bolt guns, a TCR single shot, and a Ruger No.1, I could never get one to shoot better than 3-4 inches at 100 yards. I tried EVERYTHING. Glass bedding, free floating, custom triggers, more damn handload recipes than I can count. I just never could seem to tweak any one of them to shoot as well as I wanted them to. Or as well as my various buddies rifles would. Guess they didn't like me. Hopefully you will have better luck, as it is a great deer cartridge, when it works for ya.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 1:04:49 PM EDT
[#4]
243 is a great deer gun. A lot of people in PA use them. I tried to buy a Winchester 70 in 243 but they do not make a LH one.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 1:08:18 PM EDT
[#5]

I would much prefer a .270 for deer. The .223 is better for varmints. The .243 was supposed to do both but I havent heard that it does.
If I can get it cheap enough I may try some loads and see what it can do.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 1:09:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can't help you with the .243 specifically - but the 700 BDL has an operable floor plate on the magazine.  IIRC the ADL has a fixed floor plate (you have to work the bolt to empty the magazine).
View Quote

Did they make an ADL with a wood stock? I thought they started them when they started the plastic stocks.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#7]
243 is fine for deer.

Have taken bou and moose with a 243.

Around here it has taken moose,bou,walrus,seals,wolves and both black/brown bear.

Put the shots where it counts and it does fine.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 1:39:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Did they make an ADL with a wood stock? I thought they started them when they started the plastic stocks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes... the ADL has been made with a wood stock... the .243 Win is one hell of a cartridge.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 1:42:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

A local pawn shop has an older Remington 700, wood stock so I think it's a BDL, in .243. I am tempted but have always considered .243 a little small for deer unless it's a perfect broadside shot and a little large for small varmints. It seems perfect for 'yotes but too light for hogs.
Has ammo and bullets for handloading changed over the last few decades to change this?
There are better caliber choices, including .223, but this caliber has always intrigued me. It may be that I just want it to be better than it is.

Any .243 shooters here?
View Quote

I used a Marlin X7 243 for 2 of my last season.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 1:44:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I have used an old Rem 788, .223 on deer and antelope...why would you think a .243 is too small for deer? Many deer have been taken with it.

.243 is a nice round...i wouldnt use it on like prairie mule deer in SD, but everything smaller it is fine i think.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 1:45:45 PM EDT
[#11]
.243 was my first deer gun - with 100gr soft points it puts them right down...

also a very nice light precision gun but burns up barrels depending on how you load them
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 1:46:54 PM EDT
[#12]
The 90 grain Scirrocco II is awesome.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:30:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Just use the Barnes TTSX bullets and it will kill just about anything you need to.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:45:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a rem 700 wal mart cheapy I think I paid $350 for in Y2K that I have put down about 20 or so Tn. whitetails with. It always performed well, nice holes with good exits, and never had a deer run more than 100 yards after being hit. I always used the winchester white box 100 grain  bullets, also from wally world. Mine shoots better than 2" at 100 yards, and the farest I've killed a deer is 200 (ish). All I did besides mount a scope is I bought a laminated stock from Boyd's for it and tossed the plastic POS it came with. I would sooner get rid of my marlin 3030 and ruger 77 3006 before I ever sold my 243. YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Any .243 shooters here?
View Quote

Are you saying that .223 is better than .243 for deer? You can take deer and bigger game with the .243. It's also a proven 1K yard performer, as well as a good precision rifle round. it's popular for that in Europe. There's a reason Accuracy International chambers it in their rifles.

http://www.impactguns.com/accuracy-international-aw-arctic-warfare-243-aw243.aspx
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 7:37:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Are you saying that .223 is better than .243 for deer? You can take deer and bigger game with the .243. It's also a proven 1K yard performer, as well as a good precision rifle round. it's popular for that in Europe. There's a reason Accuracy International chambers it in their rifles.

http://www.impactguns.com/accuracy-international-aw-arctic-warfare-243-aw243.aspx
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any .243 shooters here?

I meant better for small varmints. I do agree that for larger varmints, like coyotes, the .243 is a very good choice. I know it would take one of our Texas size deer.
I didn't even think about it being good for long range shooting. It has been used for 1k yards shooting? The bullet weight choices all seem a little light for that, but I know the Swede 6.5x55 with a 140gr bullet will do it, so weight isn't everything. I am just used to reading about the 180gr bullets in a .308 and heavier in larger caliber rifles like .300 Win Mag.
That does give me something else to think about.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:22:58 PM EDT
[#17]
My cousin had used a .243 for years and years on deer and has no problem killing them.  I can't imagine it being a problem.  Plenty of energy and damage to be done for a quick kill.  Plus you can go light for violent expansion or heavier for more penetration.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 12:03:20 AM EDT
[#18]
.243 is a great cartridge for everything from varmints to even large whitetail deer when used with the right bullet.
I shoot a 6mm Remingon (formerly known as the .244 Remington).  They both use the same bullets and although the 6mm is slightly better, because it has a larger case and powder capacity, their factory loadings are virtually identical.

As to versatility, you can shoot little 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets at a screaming and laser flat 4,000 fps, or long, ballistically efficient 105 to 115 very low drag target bullets at 1,000 yards.  Or you can use tough long for weight

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 12:12:25 AM EDT
[#19]
.243 is a great cartridge for everything from varmints to even large whitetail deer when used with the right bullet.
I shoot a 6mm Remingon (formerly known as the .244 Remington).  They both use the same bullets and although the 6mm is slightly better, because it has a larger case and powder capacity, their factory loadings are virtually identical.

As to versatility, you can shoot little 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets at a screaming and laser flat 4,000 fps, or long, ballistically efficient 105 to 115 very low drag target bullets at 1,000 yards.  Or you can use tough long for weight Barnes TTSX monolithic solid copper expanding hunting bullets in the 85-90 grain range for antelope and deer with deep penetration and bone breaking capability.  It is a very versatile light recoiling round for anything from little "critters" up to game weighing about 300 pounds or so.

As to accuracy, this is rifle dependent.  It is based on the inherently accurate .308 case, also shared with the .260 and the 7mm-08.  There is no reason that a good Remington 700 rifle would not shoot this round well.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:57:17 AM EDT
[#20]
If its a older wood stock ADL those can be sweet rifles(I had one years ago in 22-250 and it was killer accurate straight from the box with factory ammo) If the price is right I would think hard on buying it, plenty of bullets to choose from if you load and no shortage of factory either, I have a 6MM Rem and usually stick with bullets between 70-85grs.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:01:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Our 243 BAR has killed pdogs rabbits fox 'yotes deer pronghorn and a pretty hefty cow elk. With an 80gr ttsx
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:41:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I meant better for small varmints. I do agree that for larger varmints, like coyotes, the .243 is a very good choice. I know it would take one of our Texas size deer.
I didn't even think about it being good for long range shooting. It has been used for 1k yards shooting? The bullet weight choices all seem a little light for that, but I know the Swede 6.5x55 with a 140gr bullet will do it, so weight isn't everything. I am just used to reading about the 180gr bullets in a .308 and heavier in larger caliber rifles like .300 Win Mag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any .243 shooters here?

Not only have they been used at thousand yard shooting, they win at 1000 yard shooting:

http://www.accurateshooter.com/shooting-skills/john-whidden-shares-championship-secrets/

http://www.6mmbr.com/243Win.html

"If you could have just one rifle to slay varmints, hunt white-tails, shoot paper at long range, and duel in tactical matches, it would be hard to beat the .243 Winchester." AccurateShooter.com
'
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:29:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Fantastic round.  Can do eveything from small game to well placed shots on elk.  Light recoil and a legit 1000 yd capable round.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 5:19:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Yes, you can use a .243 on deer size game and down and expect good results. I'd keep it 250 yards or closer though.

Now to digress.

I have many different styles (action types, bolts, levers, semis) of rifles with overlapping calibers. A 243 is a good mate for a second one (same rifle) in 308 as they both can be had in a short action. For long action, I like 270s with a matching 30-06. For the most part, I also go at least one above and one below. A nice all around, do anything in this hemisphere battery in bolts would be (same rifles or very similar in stocks and sights/scopes, different calibers) 22LR (or 22 mag), .223, insert either combo of above, and a 375 H&H. Knowing how to reload for each (sans the 22) to build an accurate cartridge for each and as a cost savings is a major plus.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 5:37:36 AM EDT
[#25]
.243 is my primary groundhog gun.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:18:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Not sure why you think .243 is "just enough" for deer, its actually a fantastic deer round.  I have killed at least a half dozen deer here in TN with the cartridge, and they are much larger than TX deer.

ETA: I have also seen ELK taken clean with a .243

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:12:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any .243 shooters here?

I use a 243win for groundhogs and 1k yd matches
I run 55gr bullets at 4000fps and 105gr bullets at 3100fps  it does both very well. I do not have anything to say about deer with a 243 personally as we cant hunt them with rifles here. Many many deer have been killed with a 243 in PA and NY. With a good partition/solid bullet it will do fantastic.

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#28]
I personally would not use anything smaller than 6.5mm on deer.  Deer sized deer that is, the little coues deer we have in southern AZ are the size of a greyhound dog and .223 is perfectly adequate and appropriate.

A .243 will however most likely be my next coyote rifle.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:12:55 PM EDT
[#29]
The.243 will put down any animal under 200 pounds out to 300 yards and more with premium bullets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top