Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My AR with out glass, iron sights only.

View Quote

This, but if I were to come across a decent red dot I would mount it
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 4:29:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Lately I have been drooling over precision rifles that can hit targets 600 yards away. I used to think ARs with red dots were the way to go, but in SHTF end of the world situation I would prefer not to get in a gun fight at all, but if I did I'd wanna be at least 300 yards away. I am thinking about bulding a precision .308 bolt gun, but also might just scope my AR15 or of course do both.

So what rifle do you guys prefer for SHTF?

View Quote

Even in a SHTF situation it is hard to know the intentions of another person 300-600 yards away. With that type of distance not engaging is the best course of action if you want to keep a low profile. The AR is a good balance of fire power up close and medium range precision.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 5:48:05 AM EDT
[#3]
As much as I like my other rifles and know the caliber is superior to the .223, I would carry the AR15 due to the higher possibility of pick up magazines, ammo, parts based on the wide spread usage of that rifle by others.

If I stay at the house the AR will stand in the corner and a different rifle will be in my hands if I have to protect myself/family, but if I have to leave the house and move out, the AR will be with me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 7:34:44 AM EDT
[#4]
AR15 with glass
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:47:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Even in a SHTF situation it is hard to know the intentions of another person 300-600 yards away. With that type of distance not engaging is the best course of action if you want to keep a low profile. The AR is a good balance of fire power up close and medium range precision.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lately I have been drooling over precision rifles that can hit targets 600 yards away. I used to think ARs with red dots were the way to go, but in SHTF end of the world situation I would prefer not to get in a gun fight at all, but if I did I'd wanna be at least 300 yards away. I am thinking about bulding a precision .308 bolt gun, but also might just scope my AR15 or of course do both.

So what rifle do you guys prefer for SHTF?

Thats true but if they start shooting at you then its better to beable to shoot them. I say a ar with glass.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:32:40 PM EDT
[#6]
For about 6 mos of the year my AR wears a ACOG for hunting.  Other half it wears a Aimpoint for solely HD use.  I'm also comfortable using the ARMS#40 BUIS out to 500.

CD
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 2:00:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Whatever the fuck I can find ammo for.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 3:20:48 PM EDT
[#8]
AR pistol, 10" with XPS and magnifier.

Reliable hits on ivans out to 300 meters. without much trouble.

Have hit out to 500 if I do my part....

Small as practical, light as possible, reliable as hell.  No stamp required.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 3:46:55 PM EDT
[#9]

My HD and SHTF AR kind of KISS with only the minimum add-on that I need which is the Aimpoint red dot, I also have a magnifier with LaRue pivot QD mount but I don't use my magnifier much, Surefire weaponlight, KAC VFG, Vickers VCAS two point sling, and I had to use a KAC M4 RAS rails to properly mount my light and VFG, I could also use my Magpul MOE handguard instead of my KAC rails.

The only thing I would need would be a SPR 18" upper half with a magnified optic 8X to 10X max power, which is my current build project right now, the carbine and SPR uppers should take care of short to long distance ranges.

But I also have three other AR for spares, a 16" midlength gas system medium profile (same as SOCOM) carbine, a 16" HBAR heavy profile carbine gas, and a 20" A2 Gov't profile with a fixed A2 buttstock rifle.

With 5.56 ammo I could also use my IMI Galil 16" carbine and for 7.62X39 I've got three PolyTech AK and a Chinese SKS rifle.

I wish I still have my old Springfield M1A National Match and FN FAL L1A1 British type .308 rifles that I used to have, but if I ever get another 30 cal. I would get the Colt LE901-16S modular rifle because I could use any of my AR upper half by just using its conversion kit.

Way back during the 1992 Los Angeles riots when I was living there that time I had only one Colt Lightweight carbine, MagLite flashlight, and 10 30rd fully loaded Colt mags, the only other guns I had with me was my Benelli M1 Super 90 semi auto 12 ga Magnum shotgun, two pistols, Sig P226 9mm and a Colt Officer's Lightweight compact 1911 .45 ACP.

The rest of my guns during the riots was at my parents house 70 miles away, AK, Steyr AUG A1, IMI Galil carbine, two Colt AR 20" rifles, SKS, USGI M1 Garand, IMI Uzi 9mm/ .45 carbine, and HK 94 9mm carbine, after when the curfew was lifted and the CA national guards were deployed, I went to my parent's house to get more guns and ammo.

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#10]
OP, if you cannot hit a man sized target at 300 yards with AR15...I would say stop posting and do some more training.

Shooting AR15 with T1...300 yard hits at man sized targets should not be an issue for most people.

I'm a long range fan and I do not consider 600 yards to be long range.

There are many tools to get the job done.  I don't feel that you would need to get a bolt action for that distance of 600 yards, but if you feel more comfortable with bolt action...knock yourself out.

ETA: If you do want to get into precision shooting...get something better than 308 since you are talking about "building" a precision rifle.  Think 260, 6.5CM, 6.5x47 will be much better in performance compared to 308.  Only reason to go with 308 is because you don't reload.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:45:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OP, if you cannot hit a man sized target at 300 yards with AR15...I would say stop posting and do some more training.

Shooting AR15 with T1...300 yard hits at man sized targets should not be an issue for most people.

There are many tools to get the job done.  I don't feel that you would need to get a bolt action for that distance of 600 yards, but if you feel more comfortable with bolt action...knock yourself out.

ETA: If you do want to get into precision shooting...get something better than 308 since you are talking about "building" a precision rifle.  Think 260, 6.5CM, 6.5x47 will be much better in performance compared to 308.  Only reason to go with 308 is because you don't reload.
View Quote

Seems like 6.5, 260 etc. would be a bad idea for SHTF.  Unless you stockpiled a shit ton of it.  And with a bolt action you can't burn it up that fast.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:15:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote
I dont reload so .308 makes sense for me, and precision does not only mean 1k yards and further. If first round head shots at 600 is not precise then I dont know what is, and yea many dont consider that long range. I don't think I could see that far away without a scope if the bad guy did not want to be seen.

As for the bolt action I am trying to justify it in anyway to myself so starting threads like this hepls, and I can hit out to 500 with my AR15 with a red dot btw.

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:30:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Well if you're really a manly man, a good bolt gun with a lw carbine slung over your shoulder would have your bases covered.  I mean, that's what they do in the .mil, isn't it?  I guess I'm specifically talking about scout/snipers.  I think they usually have an issued M4, even if they're carrying the big gun.  Maybe????
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:49:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Well if you're really a manly man, a good bolt gun with a lw carbine slung over your shoulder would have your bases covered.  I mean, that's what they do in the .mil, isn't it?  I guess I'm specifically talking about scout/snipers.  I think they usually have an issued M4, even if they're carrying the big gun.  Maybe????
View Quote
Or you could just get an SR25 or SCAR and only carry one rifle.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 12:21:05 AM EDT
[#15]
AR15 with red dot or 1-4  with a surefire. I've made constistant hits on coyotes with an eotech at 300-450. Haven't shot my 1-4 yet.
Or
AK with sure fire. I'm comfortable making hits out to 250-300 on paper with irons

600meters with a M4 and acog on a silhouette isn't to difficult with a little practice.

What you should be more focused on for shtf is suppressing the enemy and getting out of there then making long range hits with a bolt gun.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 12:21:14 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
8 lb. AR and 9 lb. bolt gun equals 17 lbs which is about how heavy their bolts guns are or around as heavy so it could be done.

Seriously though I'd take my AR over a bolt gun, but I'd love to have the problem of choosing one or the other. Sadly I do not right now since there is no modern bolt gun in my house.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:00:36 AM EDT
[#17]
What people confuse with regard to SHTF rifle is that they think you're saying what's the best rifle for combat. Unfortunately, there is more to a SHTF scenario than combat. So, weapons like SCARs or the tavor are not "the best" SHTF weapons. SHTF weapons should have the following criteria;

reliable/durable in all environments (ice, mud, sand...)
ability to have a long and short range capabilities  
easy to fix and work on
many spare parts and mags (so, SCAR wouldn't be an optimal weapon for a SHTF scenario)
common ammo caliber (so, 5.7 would not be a good cal for SHTF)
ability to hunt large and small animals
good penetration
good for combat
easy to mount optics and good ergonomics

To me the FAL has most of these qualities but might not be optimal for small game and can be heavy.
The AR15 would also fill these criteria well but the 223 round lacks penetration and large game hunting isn't optimal. different caliber ARs would make ammo, or parts or mags harder to find. (Ie. 308 ARs have different parts)
The AK47 would also be a good weapon.

I don't see many other weapons that would fit these criteria as the AR, FAL or AK. The M14 maybe.

And, it makes no sense why people say a rifle with iron sights only. Why limit yourself and not have BUIS and optics. Aimpoint M4 lasts 100,000 hours on one AA battery. Or, standard glass not requiring batteries gives you so much more of an advantage. Never understood why people believe in iron sights only. I guess people cant let go and adapt.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 12:55:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
8 lb. AR and 9 lb. bolt gun equals 17 lbs which is about how heavy their bolts guns are or around as heavy so it could be done.  

Seriously though I'd take my AR over a bolt gun, but I'd love to have the problem of choosing one or the other. Sadly I do not right now since there is no modern bolt gun in my house.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was sort of joking.  

I don't see why any sort of AR wouldn't be a really good SHTF scenario weapon.  I doubt you'd really need to reach out and touch someone.  I don't know.  Seems like the SHTF scenarios we've seen wouldn't include long range sniping.  Now if you're talking end of society for a long time type stuff, like prepping or whatever.  That's a whole different scenario.  In that situation, multiple guns in your inventory might be good.  Like .30-30, .30-06 and .223.  Something in 7.62 x39 too maybe.  I have those bases covered.  But I probably wouldn't survive too long.  Maybe my son would, so he's covered.  I personally don't get too wrapped up about all that, but I can understand why people do.  Now SHTF, yeah, very real possibilities.  So much social unrest and weird climate stuff.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 4:27:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I was joking too.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 6:05:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm constantly trying to build what I think the ultimate AR would be for all scenarios and I think it would have to be a 16" mid or 18" rifle, lw barreled.  With a 2 or 3x acog.  I don't think it would get any better than that as far as a do it all rifle.  2x even indoors is pretty doable.  I think.  3x might be getting a bit much. But really not that bad.  Heck ,even a 1.5 is a lot easier on the eyes than the irons because you're not looking at 3 things.  

So.... you wanna build me one?  
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:56:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Fal and ar pistol for backup.  Someone's got to be different.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:12:19 PM EDT
[#22]
14 inch SBR .50 BMG with Aimpoint Semi auto of coarse
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 12:21:20 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I'm constantly trying to build what I think the ultimate AR would be for all scenarios and I think it would have to be a 16" mid or 18" rifle, lw barreled.  With a 2 or 3x acog.  I don't think it would get any better than that as far as a do it all rifle.  2x even indoors is pretty doable.  I think.  3x might be getting a bit much. But really not that bad.  Heck ,even a 1.5 is a lot easier on the eyes than the irons because you're not looking at 3 things.  

So.... you wanna build me one?  
View Quote
I build you an AR if you build me a precision rifle under 10 lbs scoped in .308 with a Trijicon as well. Guess which ones cheaper right now. haha

Seriouls though imo the do all ARs are probably ones with 1-4/1-6 variables.

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 12:22:48 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

14 inch SBR .50 BMG with Aimpoint Semi auto of coarse
View Quote

Eotech that bitch brotha.

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 10:07:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Danny D M4V1 with Aimpoint H-1 Micro, MS4 sling, BCG Gunfighter grips and B5 SOPMOD.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 10:08:49 AM EDT
[#26]
If the S ever HTF, my two primary rifles are my Type 56 SKS and my Mosin M38.

Mo other guns will come with me, but i want damn near "bullet proof" reliability.

my Mosin M38.
7.62x54R.. Because if you hide behind the tree, I'll just shoot through the tree.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 3:08:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If the S ever HTF, my two primary rifles are my Type 56 SKS and my Mosin M38.

Mo other guns will come with me, but i want damn near "bullet proof" reliability.

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj594/ourichie1/2F8B0F35-E437-4485-8899-0C64CA0D54B8_zpsijhc0oru.jpg
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj594/ourichie1/A1A1C33C-9B9B-4866-AE0D-B49639B1EB7B_zpsubcjlwvc.jpg
View Quote

My SKS is definitely at the top of my list as well, especially being in CA.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 3:17:50 PM EDT
[#28]
10-22 and de-barked Chihuahua.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 6:42:01 AM EDT
[#29]
You guys have seen a bunch of epic SHTF movies, right?

The Postman, Book of Eli, Dawn of the Dead...

Don't you have better weapons than most of the main and supporting characters? You probably do. It'll be fine. lol
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 10:03:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Don't you have better weapons than most of the main and supporting characters? You probably do. It'll be fine. lol
View Quote

Agree.

It's laughable when people say M1 Garand or a bolt gun just because they don't have a good SHTF weapon. The weapons will not come to you if you're dead. I love the I'll hide and wait then take their weapon approach. The problem is that you're assuming you'll be in control of the situation. Kind of stupid when you're talking about a SHTF scenario. The point is that you don't know what's going to happen. So, you want to be prepared with the best weapon. You don't prepare with the worst equipment and hope to acquire better weapons because you probably wont make it...

The choices for a SHTF weapon are AK47, AR15, FAL....maybe M14 or AR10
Anything beyond that really isn't the best SHTF weapon. .... That doesn't mean there aren't better weapons than those listed. That means for a SHTF scenario these are the best choices because of capabilities, durability, easy to fix or work on, many spare parts/mags...

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 3:02:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Agree.

It's laughable when people say M1 Garand or a bolt gun just because they don't have a good SHTF weapon. The weapons will not come to you if you're dead. I love the I'll hide and wait then take their weapon approach. The problem is that you're assuming you'll be in control of the situation. Kind of stupid when you're talking about a SHTF scenario. The point is that you don't know what's going to happen. So, you want to be prepared with the best weapon. You don't prepare with the worst equipment and hope to acquire better weapons because you probably wont make it...

Anything beyond that really isn't the best SHTF weapon. .... That doesn't mean there aren't better weapons than those listed. That means for a SHTF scenario these are the best choices because of capabilities, durability, easy to fix or work on, many spare parts/mags...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree.

Most "SHTF" scenarios won't involve weapons at all. If they do, it will likely be your CCW gun anyways. So those with "2nd or 3rd tier" weapons will still be fine, because they'll get used just as little as the "best" (whatever that means) tactical rifles out there.
A man armed with a Garand or SKS who isn't looking for a fight will likely be fine for any civilian situation. Not everyone is planning to kick in doors and use night vision and lasers vs heavily armed fortifications of multiple adversaries, blah blah blah.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 7:47:07 PM EDT
[#32]
I've got an milled AK47 that I would take. I live in a city and a 200+ shot would be rare, go out of the city and there are lots of woods. I want that stopping power. Plus my primary weapon would be a pistol anyway.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:04:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Most "SHTF" scenarios won't involve weapons at all. If they do, it will likely be your CCW gun anyways. So those with "2nd or 3rd tier" weapons will still be fine, because they'll get used just as little as the "best" (whatever that means) tactical rifles out there.
A man armed with a Garand or SKS who isn't looking for a fight will likely be fine for any civilian situation. Not everyone is planning to kick in doors and use night vision and lasers vs heavily armed fortifications of multiple adversaries, blah blah blah.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree.

Right....prepare for the best and hope for the best   Wrong! But doesn't surprise me coming from someone in CA.

I have my pistol with me all the time and a rifle is never far from me.

Just because you have an AR or AK doesn't mean you want to kick down doors or get into a fight. But if you have to you can. So, to say a Garand is a good weapon in a lawless SHTF scenario is just foolish. You can not argue the point of having a more modern weapon. To do so just shows that you either don't have a modern weapon or are just foolish. Why would anyone take an 8 round Garand when they can have a 20, 25 or 30 round M14 or FAL.

In a SHTF scenario a rifle will be my primary weapon for sure. Any reasonable person that expects to have the best chances for survival will have a more modern semi auto fire arm. AR15, AK, FAL, M14 would all be acceptable. SCAR, bull pups... would be good to as long as you could find mags and parts for it. But, an M1 Garand, bolt gun, standard SKS, kiss rifle or pistol will put you at a big disadvantage. But that's you mistake to make. I'll have 3rd gen Night vision, IR lasers and suppressor capabilities as well as a good reliable weapon for self defense and hunting day or night.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#34]
This one will do me.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:18:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Right....prepare for the best and hope for the best   Wrong! But doesn't surprise me coming from someone in CA.

Just because you have an AR or AK doesn't mean you want to kick down doors or get into a fight. But if you have to you can. So, to say a Garand is a good weapon in a lawless SHTF scenario is just foolish. You can not argue the point of having a more modern weapon. To do so just shows that you either don't have a modern weapon or are just foolish. Why would anyone take an 8 round Garand when they can have a 20, 25 or 30 round M14 or FAL.

In a SHTF scenario a rifle will be my primary weapon for sure. Any reasonable person that expects to have the best chances for survival will have a more modern semi auto fire arm. AR15, AK, FAL, M14 would all be acceptable. SCAR, bull pups... would be good to as long as you could find mags and parts for it. But, an M1 Garand, bolt gun, standard SKS, kiss rifle or pistol will put you at a big disadvantage. But that's you mistake to make. I'll have 3rd gen Night vision, IR lasers and suppressor capabilities as well as a good reliable weapon for self defense and hunting day or night.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree.

I didn't say hope for the best. And your jab about being in CA is stupid, seeing as how we have over 30 million people here. It takes a small mind to lump that many people into one group.
Regardless, my point is that the type of situation that's going to have you out patrolling with a rifle or whatever is so unlikely that the money is best spent on other preps like food, water and other equipment.
You're not going to be out there holding the line against mad infantry rushes like in a video game. If you've got an SKS/Garand or whatever, you will be fine against most reasonable threats, and probably better armed than most.
If you're really worried about shit hitting the fan, a fancy firearm instead of other preps would be nowhere near the top of my list if I already had my weapon bases covered.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:28:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Yeah, I agree.  Just having a weapon will be a good thing.  I'm not as worried about what kind, other than it should be something that can be relied upon.   And you're right about the other stuff.  Most of us would be out of luck because we're not prepared for issues.  I think I could probably last a week or so....  but after that, we'd be in trouble.   But the gun is only important IF you have looters knocking down your door.  Or something like that.  Which could or could not happen.  And it could all be a moot point about guns if the National Guard comes and takes them away.  Like in Katrina.  

Nothing wrong with being prepared, but knowing what the best will be is an answer that can really only be answered once you are in the situation.  And the fact is: what we thought is the best before hand, might not be.  That's how life is.  It always is making you adjust and adapt.  And seems like stuff more times than not doesn't work out like you had planned.  Or maybe that's just a dark way of looking at it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:00:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I didn't say hope for the best. And your jab about being in CA is stupid, seeing as how we have over 30 million people here. It takes a small mind to lump that many people into one group.
Regardless, my point is that the type of situation that's going to have you out patrolling with a rifle or whatever is so unlikely that the money is best spent on other preps like food, water and other equipment.
You're not going to be out there holding the line against mad infantry rushes like in a video game. If you've got an SKS/Garand or whatever, you will be fine against most reasonable threats, and probably better armed than most.
If you're really worried about shit hitting the fan, a fancy firearm instead of other preps would be nowhere near the top of my list if I already had my weapon bases covered.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree.

Did I say anything about not having other preps? I have 2 trucks (military M923 5 ton), food supply, gas supply, 3rd night vision capabilities, 30k rounds of ammo and more. I can bug in or be mobile. Regardless, of other preps the post is about shtf weapon. So, your point is moot. Again, like most you are skirting the issue. And, being in CA is an issue because you're BS liberal laws wont let you have a good shtf weapon which is an AR, AK, FAL, M14 etc... To say a M1Garand is the preferred shtf weapon is just stupid for obvious reasons. Now, if that's all you can have because you live in a BS commie state than you should state that's your reason.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:45:00 PM EDT
[#38]
My 16" RRA with Eotech.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:51:49 PM EDT
[#39]
If it get's really bad I can always break out the bumpsaw:

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:52:00 PM EDT
[#40]
No selection for AR15 with irons??
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:23:53 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

No selection for AR15 with irons??
View Quote
Why would you want that?!

The only way to use it at night is with a flashlight...

or your IR laser and NODs. Oh wait, you just have a carry handle, so you probably don't have those 2 things either.

Maybe M16A2/M203 with 40mm illum? Then you could go all 1990's. That would be an acceptable way to have a carry handle. I guess...
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:05:45 PM EDT
[#42]
It's definitely not all I have, and I have plenty of EBRs too. My point wasn't that you weren't prepared. My point was that if someone has an SKS or Garand, and wants to get prepared for some SHTF scenario, then they have that base covered and should worry about other preps first. A rifle is unlikely to get used as much as MOST other preps, and those things should be given a lot of weight over making sure you have the preferred red dot or whatever.
We actually shoot a lot out here in this "commie state". It's OK to disagree without being condescending.
Just me, my wife and a couple buddies over time.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 2:21:30 PM EDT
[#43]
AR with irons is first choice if SHTF is going to be in the proximity of home. Red dot and glass available if needed.
AK with irons is first choice if SHTF is so sudden that it is a matter of grabbing shit and run. Again, red dot and glass available if needed - folding stock, reliability, and the contained cleaning kit trumps the AR.
Mosin Nagant if SHTF is so prolonged that I've been reduced to living in a cave and cannibalism.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:25:30 AM EDT
[#44]
other- AK with RMR and/or Saiga12 with Eotech. I'm also fine with just Iron sights on either.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:57:12 AM EDT
[#45]
My DDM4V1 lightweight with aimpoint micro
Or my 6920 with comp M2.

Love my aimpoints
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:08:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Lightweight mid gas 16" AR with ultra light furniture.
Low power variable optic.
Keep it light and simple.

I have a family and with little ones to feed, I am more concerned with keeping them warm, dry, fed and off the radar. I will let everyone else go out and play out their mad max fantasy scenarios.

We will be at the cabin, tending the garden..  :)
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:08:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
-snip-

View Quote

View Quote

What happens when you finally run out of batteries?

Quoted:

Did I say anything about not having other preps? I have 2 trucks (military M923 5 ton), food supply, gas supply, 3rd night vision capabilities, 30k rounds of ammo and more. I can bug in or be mobile. Regardless, of other preps the post is about shtf weapon. So, your point is moot. Again, like most you are skirting the issue. And, being in CA is an issue because you're BS liberal laws wont let you have a good shtf weapon which is an AR, AK, FAL, M14 etc... To say a M1Garand is the preferred shtf weapon is just stupid for obvious reasons. Now, if that's all you can have because you live in a BS commie state than you should state that's your reason.
View Quote

Just my opinion, but having that truck in a SHTF scenario screams to me "I have the stuff. Attack me first." I personally would go for something a bit less conspicuous. IMHO, the less I can draw attention to myself, the better.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:03:26 AM EDT
[#48]
I guess it just depends on where you stand in the whole situation. I mean, if my team had a carrier battle group, I wouldn't care if everyone knew.

The ultimate in prepared and low-profile would probably be a Seawolf sub with the full SEAL setup (Dry Dock Shelter, SDVs, zodiacs). You could acquire/operate that with a well-trained team of around 20 (and probably only 6-10 would need to start well-trained).
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 1:02:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Since I live in the middle of suburbia a SHTF situation for me is either hunkering down, or I will be mobile in a vehicle. I have no delusions of walking the countryside with nothing but my gun and my wits. So for me it's all of them.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:59:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Just my opinion, but having that truck in a SHTF scenario screams to me "I have the stuff. Attack me first." I personally would go for something a bit less conspicuous. IMHO, the less I can draw attention to myself, the better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
-snip-

Quoted:

The batteries in an M4 aimpoint last 8 years if left on all the time. So with one or 2 batteries you'll be fine. or a rechargeable aa battery.

and a big truck with 14 x 8 foot bed and about 10 people with rifles in the back will be hard to attack. Also it will be in a convoy not the only truck. Plus, it can plow other cars out of the way. Also can run on vegetable oil. and can carry 5 to 10 tons of gear/people.

Just because youre in a minivan doesn't mean people wont attack you. They will see you as an easy target. Plus I'll put some armor on it soon. And I can line the bed with sand bags

So, your points make no sense.

At lease most of the people have it right in the poll. AR, AK FAL, M14 would be gtg.  Kiss is just retarded when you can have BUIS and optics that have an 8 year continuous battery life or something like the TR24. I don't get why people would limit themselves in a SHTF scenario. If something goes wrong with the optics you can alwas you your buis
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top