Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2014 5:46:41 AM EDT
Got a Yugoslavian sks w/grenade launcher in a trade. Barrel was in bad shape. Lands and grooves looked ok after I spent several hours cleaning it. Took it out to test fire. Ammo was win white box. 1st case didn't fully eject, got caught sideways. Next 9 rds didn't even make it that far out. Yes the gas was turned on.
Recleaned the gas system, took apart and reoiled moving parts. Still not ejecting. Switched to some surplus ammo, still nothing.
Any ideas?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:32:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like your gas valve is leaking by ALOT.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:44:44 AM EDT
[#2]
My sks has the same problem.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:23:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Pretty common failure.  That same corrosive ammo that chewed up the bore, did the same to the gas system.  You can try the "paper clip trick" to help seal the leaking valve, or just replace the valve.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:34:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:15:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I had one that did not run.
Had to take emry cloth to the piston and the inside of the gas tube. Once the piston could move in the gas tube the chamber was so rough that it still did not function.
Put the emry cloth on a dowel  and spun it by hand in the chamber.  After that it ran like a top for several thousand rounds until it was finally sold.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:59:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Yep, I have fixed a bunch with a combination of the murray oversized and a paperclip.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:16:15 PM EDT
[#7]
And easy way to determine if the gas system is leaking is to put some tape around it and fire off a round. If normal it will either not move the tape or just a little. A bad leak will blow the tape off.

Once you have determined that there are a few ways to fix it as was previously posted.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:10:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

This.

If this doesn't work buy a gas tube too

If you pull the gas tube back and forth at the gas valve and notice a whole lot of back and forth play, it's worn out.
Top Top