Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2014 5:32:02 PM EDT
Impressions?
I know nothing about this one.  Strong points?  Weak points?
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:04:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Needs factory mags to work reliably. Ruger did start producing 20rd mags recently that work great. Accuracy on par with AK 47. I like mine but spend more time shooting my Garands.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:05:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I've heard of problems with steel-case.  The keyword there is "heard".  I'd do more research if interested and confirm. For me, a 7.62x39 gun that only runs on expensive brass is out of the question.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:01:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

For me, a 7.62x39 gun that only runs on expensive brass is out of the question.
View Quote
+1

I really like the looks of the Mini-30 tactical but It can't really do anything an AK can't. .

More expensive mags, 20 round factory mags VS 30 with the AK

I want one but it probably won't happen unless I find a face melting deal on one
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Never run anything but steel case Russian ammo through mine. I just make sure to run a .45 bore brush through the chamber to get rid of any residue from the ammo.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:56:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Any issues with soft primer strikes?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Has gone bang every time. I did put in a bushing kit since, like most Mini's, it was over gassed. Also made sure to properly torque down the gas block
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:50:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I had one back in the day and they were fun guns to shoot, I believe the ammo I used at the time was Hansen, fairly cheap and it went bang every time, like the 14s my 30 wasn't that accurate.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:58:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I had one of the earlier models with the folding rear sight. It had light primer strikes. I eventually got pissed and sold it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:26:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I would like one, but the $650+ price, that I see on the new ones, with the better sights, seems high.
The receivers, on the stainless ones, look cheap, but Ruger has a great reputation with castings, so the only concern I guess, for me, is that it looks cheap.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:18:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I own one that I purchased in 1995. It runs great but until Ruger factory 20rnd mags were available it was limited to 5-shots (after market mags are crap). At the time, the cheap SKS and semi-auto AKs that were being imported made the mini-30 irrelevant. It was at least twice the price for at least half the mag capacity. It is also harder to clean and used expensive 5rnd mags.  

Today the field has evened up a bit. An SKS will start at $300 with a 10rnd mag and a basic AK will start at $400-$500. Still a bit cheaper than the Mini-30 but typically sold without any factory support should you have a problem. The nod for accuracy also goes to the Mini-30. Not a target rifle in any sense of the word (mini-14/30 accuracy problems have been a known issue for years) but still better than your average SKS/AK probably due to the better factory sights. The 20rnd Ruger factory mags are little expensive (~$30 each) and harder to find than AK mags but they are 100% reliable and have made the Mini-30 a viable option at least in terms of a defensive firearm.

Still, I purchased mine when I was still new to shooting "evil assaulting rifles". If I had to do it over again, I would have skipped the Mini-30 and gone straight to the SKS and AK offerings.

FWIW- My Mini-30 shoots ANY steel case ammunition I run through it without problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top