Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2014 5:32:02 PM EDT
Impressions?
I know nothing about this one.  Strong points?  Weak points?
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:04:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Needs factory mags to work reliably. Ruger did start producing 20rd mags recently that work great. Accuracy on par with AK 47. I like mine but spend more time shooting my Garands.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:05:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I've heard of problems with steel-case.  The keyword there is "heard".  I'd do more research if interested and confirm. For me, a 7.62x39 gun that only runs on expensive brass is out of the question.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:01:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

For me, a 7.62x39 gun that only runs on expensive brass is out of the question.
View Quote
+1

I really like the looks of the Mini-30 tactical but It can't really do anything an AK can't. .

More expensive mags, 20 round factory mags VS 30 with the AK

I want one but it probably won't happen unless I find a face melting deal on one
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Never run anything but steel case Russian ammo through mine. I just make sure to run a .45 bore brush through the chamber to get rid of any residue from the ammo.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:56:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Any issues with soft primer strikes?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Has gone bang every time. I did put in a bushing kit since, like most Mini's, it was over gassed. Also made sure to properly torque down the gas block
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:50:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I had one back in the day and they were fun guns to shoot, I believe the ammo I used at the time was Hansen, fairly cheap and it went bang every time, like the 14s my 30 wasn't that accurate.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:58:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I had one of the earlier models with the folding rear sight. It had light primer strikes. I eventually got pissed and sold it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:26:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I would like one, but the $650+ price, that I see on the new ones, with the better sights, seems high.
The receivers, on the stainless ones, look cheap, but Ruger has a great reputation with castings, so the only concern I guess, for me, is that it looks cheap.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:18:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I own one that I purchased in 1995. It runs great but until Ruger factory 20rnd mags were available it was limited to 5-shots (after market mags are crap). At the time, the cheap SKS and semi-auto AKs that were being imported made the mini-30 irrelevant. It was at least twice the price for at least half the mag capacity. It is also harder to clean and used expensive 5rnd mags.  

Today the field has evened up a bit. An SKS will start at $300 with a 10rnd mag and a basic AK will start at $400-$500. Still a bit cheaper than the Mini-30 but typically sold without any factory support should you have a problem. The nod for accuracy also goes to the Mini-30. Not a target rifle in any sense of the word (mini-14/30 accuracy problems have been a known issue for years) but still better than your average SKS/AK probably due to the better factory sights. The 20rnd Ruger factory mags are little expensive (~$30 each) and harder to find than AK mags but they are 100% reliable and have made the Mini-30 a viable option at least in terms of a defensive firearm.

Still, I purchased mine when I was still new to shooting "evil assaulting rifles". If I had to do it over again, I would have skipped the Mini-30 and gone straight to the SKS and AK offerings.

FWIW- My Mini-30 shoots ANY steel case ammunition I run through it without problems.
Top Top