Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2014 3:57:36 AM EDT
Good morning guys, I wanted to ask if anyone had any info on some possible mods that I can perform to this gun to make it a nice tack driver out to the 800 yard mark, but do so while staying budget minded. I was thinking of selling it and building an accurate AR10-type rifle, but decided against that due to cost (I believe this 7mm build can be done much cheaper and save that $$$ for ammo).

So if anyone has advice on what to do as far as mods that would be great. This is an Accu-Trigger model with wood stock and pencil barrel (fully free-floated) that I picked up off of one of my father's co-workers to add a large caliber rifle to my stash of weapons. I know budget and "super duper accurate" don't always go together, but I'd like to get it done without dropping $1500 on a Nightforce, $600 on a barrel, etc. I would enjoy some type of BDC or mil-dot scope though. So can anyone provide recommendations on the following?

Stock
Trigger
Barrel
Scope/Ring Combo
Etc.

Thanks in advance guys and happy shooting.

-Mike
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:02:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Do your own reloading is the probably the most important factor in accuracy. Just about every rifle has some fine tuned loadings that it really likes and you have to find it. My dad is a good shot and good at reloading. There is hardly a gun that he or I have owned that he could not drive tacks with. Even rifles that I had given up on....
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:18:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Zeiss Conquest scope and good ammo. Generally, Savage rifles are pretty accurate out of box.

ETA: have you shot it yet? Do you even need accuracy mods?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:56:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Zeiss Conquest scope and good ammo. Generally, Savage rifles are pretty accurate out of box.

ETA: have you shot it yet? Do you even need accuracy mods?
View Quote

Thanks for the replies so far guys. Yes I have shot it some, about 10 rounds so far. It was off right at an inch at 100 yards when I got it (maybe got bumped, not sure). 3 shots, adjusted it to center, then fired 7 more for fun. Granted I was only shooting some Winchester 150 gr Ballistic Silver Tips that my dad had laying around (he has shot them forever in his Browning 7mm Mag), so I have yet to fire any HPBT match ammo out of it. It grouped at about 1.1 inches at 100 yards...I think sub-MOA is possible with match ammo.

I'm the kind who always loves to "modify" something. The biggest thing I want to address is the stock and crappy Bushnell scope that is on it. The stock has no raised cheek piece at all, so that was one gripe. My other gripe is my current lack of mil-dots on this scope (I'm used to using them on my heavy barrel AR15 build). Has anyone used one of the Boyd's stock before? I know there are far more expensive options, but for roughly $100 they seem like a decent upgrade.

And if anyone has any good info/links/videos to check out on "bedding a stock" I'd love to see them. I know my way around guns and have for a while, but I still need to learn the finer point of gun-smithing.

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:42:05 PM EDT
[#4]

as far as a scope, look at SWFA, their super sniper brand is very good for the money.  very good glass, durable and excellent warranty and customer service.  the fixed 10x's can be had for $300 new.  

burris xtr makes good rings for $50.  as far as a base, i'd find some sort of one piece to help stiffen up the action.  get both in steel.

definitely a new stock, lots of choices out there, just google it.  midwayusa will have a decent selection as well as stockys stocks.

hold off on a trigger and use that money to get the action blueprinted.    

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:08:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

as far as a scope, look at SWFA, their super sniper brand is very good for the money.  very good glass, durable and excellent warranty and customer service.  the fixed 10x's can be had for $300 new.  

burris xtr makes good rings for $50.  as far as a base, i'd find some sort of one piece to help stiffen up the action.  get both in steel.

definitely a new stock, lots of choices out there, just google it.  midwayusa will have a decent selection as well as stockys stocks.

hold off on a trigger and use that money to get the action blueprinted.    

View Quote

Thank you for the info. I found this site while "googling" just now:

https://eabco.com/savage_rifle_gun_stocks_from_eab1.html

He has some seemingly good deals on Choate stocks, upgraded/heavier barrels, and bases/rings for scopes...all for Savage rifles including my 110. Anyone dealt with EABCO before?

Seem to have a few good ratings scattered across the web.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 2:14:49 PM EDT
[#6]
On a budget, I would piller and bed the existing stock, and fabricate a cheek riser.

Polish trigger components and the striker assembly. Replace springs in Accu-trigger with lighter springs, the factory trigger can be made into a very nice trigger.

Reload using brass fired in the rifle, and do not full length size them, etc. The usual reloading tricks for better accuracy.

Check the crown of the barrel, maybe a recrown is in order.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:07:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a Savage Tactical 300 Win Mag and did this = great shotting gun on a budget.  Used a SWFA Super Sniper I got second hand for only $150.  Also pick up a decent bipod.  I sold the rifle as I didn't shoot it much and got into other guns I wanted more.  They can be very accurate with some simple improvements.  

Quoted:
On a budget, I would piller and bed the existing stock, and fabricate a cheek riser.

Polish trigger components and the striker assembly. Replace springs in Accu-trigger with lighter springs, the factory trigger can be made into a very nice trigger.

Reload using brass fired in the rifle, and do not full length size them, etc. The usual reloading tricks for better accuracy.

Check the crown of the barrel, maybe a recrown is in order.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top