[#1]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:20:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:23:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks!

I'm just doing some pricing right now. $300 for a stainless barrel isn't to bad.

Hell the "McClane" upper is pretty much what I want. I saw that youtube video earlier when I was searching.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks!

I'm just doing some pricing right now. $300 for a stainless barrel isn't to bad.

Hell the "McClane" upper is pretty much what I want. I saw that youtube video earlier when I was searching.

I think a 10.5" pistol build would be awesome.  I have been planning to do something similar for a while, just haven't had the funds gathered yet.  Right now KAK is the only manufacturer I know producing a 7.62 NATO barrel shorter than 12.5.  I think $300 for it pretty reasonable and that video was really cool .  Good luck on the build!
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:09:32 AM EDT
[#4]
The term "AR-10" gets erroneously applied to many 7.62 AR rifles so one has to be  careful when looking at parts.

You need to start with your receiver and go from there.

If you get an LR308 receiver, look for parts, including barrels, that fit it.

If you get an SR25 receiver, look for parts, including barrels, that fit it.

If your get an AR10 receiver, look for parts, including barrels, that fit it.

If you get an LAR8 receiver, looks for parts, including barrels, that fit it.

Unlike the 5.56 rifles that have had the luxury of the military standardizing all the parts over 50 years of service, the 7.62 NATO rifles have no standard and are very different from each other.

Some use FAL mags, some use the original AR10 waffle mag type including a Pmag copy, and others use the Gen 2 AR10 mag.  

Some try to claim that so-and-so mag creates some sort of non-existent standard but the rifles that share that mag don't share much of anything else, if anything at all.

Some people tend to call all 7.62 NATO/.308 rifles "AR10".

Here is a perfect example of why that is not the case.

So, be careful and make sure your parts fit before you buy them.  I have seen many people order "AR10" parts for their rifle only to find that the parts don't work on their rifle.

The barrel linked to says:

DPMS LR-308 STYLE EXTENSION
View Quote

So it won't fit an AR10.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:23:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine's a $300 Matrix Aero receiver set ( they make Rugers ARs)
It's basicly an AR10A, uses Pmags, everything else is Armalite- takedown pins, BHO, barrel nut.
I bought a $200 DPMS AP4 barrel and had Rainier Arms cut and thread it for me.
AIM BCG
Troy TRX $105 on clearance

The pic without handguards was before I realized the gas tube/handguard length issues between the Armalite barrel nut and the DPMS barrel wouldn't work together so I went freefloat.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:35:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I purchased the McClane for $845 during there 4th of July sale. Took it out shooting up north this past weekend for the 1st time. Friggin awesome. KAK put this together right. Look over the parts they used and you will see nothing was skimped on. Sure you could possibly build one a bit cheaper. This is a solid upper with quality parts. I posted a pic in the the AR pistol section http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_122/651727_26__OAL_VFG_Firearm_Picture_and_Info_Thread.html&page=1 . Recoil was pretty good for a 10.5 inch barrel. Did a full mag rapid fire just to see how it would do. Talk about a big woody. . This puppy just replaced my DPMS Oracle 308 for CQC if needed. I put a Vortex strikefire II red dot on mine. Total length is 28 inches using KAK super sig buffer tube. Still a pistol using the sig brace but if I put a VFG on it, then just goes to firearm status. Suggest you keep an eye on there site if your serious on something like this for another sale around holidays. I bought a precision aero lower which is the cheapest AR10 lower out there that I could find. Matches up nice. I put a regular DPMMS trigger in for now but will put a timney trigger in later on. Good luck with your decision.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:27:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I guess in the end the pros of using a 308 is the availability of ammo, which would allow me to shoot it more for fun than a 300blk.

What's y'alls take on this?
View Quote
If you don't reload, they're both gonna be spendy. If you do reload, 300blk is lighter, cheaper, and with more standardized components than a .308 AR (to appease LarryG).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top