Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2014 8:50:20 PM EDT
Anybody have experience with these? I'm interested in a 7.62x39 bolt action and it seems like these are one of the few ones still in production.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 3:59:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't speak to the 7.62x39 aspect but the Zastava mini mauser is a great rifle for the money.

Cons

The stock has checkering that is really only partially cut.  It's a nice start on the pattern if you ever buy checkering tools and want to finish it (but practice on something else first - old stocks at gun shows are a good way to build experience).  But it is functional and not all that bad looking from a distance.

The finish has all the warmth, depth and charm of shoe polish, and it appears to be water soluble.  

The good news on the above is that the stock finish makes a great base for Tru-oil on top,  The first couple coats will dry a little slow (18 hours or so) as the two integrate with the underlying finish, but after that it's a normal Tur-oil finishing process, knocking the finish back down with 0000 steel wool to close to the original finish every 3 coats until the grain is filled, then adding 3 more and a finish coat - with the option of leaving it shiny, wet sanding with 0000 steel wool for a semi gloss or dry sanding with 0000 steel wool just enough to get an even matte finish.

You can also just replace there stock with a new Remington NOS  laminated stock made for the Remington 799 (same rifle)  or replace it with a  composite stock made for the Remington 799 and Interarms Mini Mark X., which is also the same rifle.

Pros:

The Mark X and Mini Mark X under what ever banner they have been sold has always been a very well made rifles with exceptional barrels that are capable of sub MOA accuracy.   I've had three - Mk Xs in .243 and .308 and a Mini Mark X in .22 Hornet.  The .243 and .308 were both solid one MOA rifles with no inclination for the barrels to start walking the POI as they heated up.  Zastava hammer forges them, resulting in very smooth bore, but they also know their business when it comes to stress relief as mine have all proven to be very stable barrels.    My Zastava M85 .22 Hornet shoots consistent 3/4 MOA 5 shot groups.

The metal is nicely polished with great bluing, but is covered with a preservative so it's not readily obvious in the store.  But the it home and clean it up and you'll like the results.  

Scope mount options include weaver bases as well as a Leupold one piece mount.  Most charts have it wrong for the Zastava Mini Mauser (M85) calling for mauser 98 scope bases, so go with what is recommended for the Remington 799 instead.

My Zastava Mini Mauser with a semi gloss turmoil stock finish:

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 7:46:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I have always wanted one, it would be worth while to handload for the caliber to see what it is capable of.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 8:07:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Remington 799 (Zastava barreled action in a Remy stock).  Well made and nicely finished rifle.  Fun little rifle, I bought it since I have a shit ton of 7.62x39 stashed for my AKs and decided a bolt gun in that caliber would be a nice addition.

Added a Burris Timberline 3-9x32 scope in a Leupold base and rings, makes for a great little package that carries well in the woods.

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 7:01:28 PM EDT
[#4]
If I had one in 7.62x39 I'd be very tempted to run a suppressor on it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 2:34:35 PM EDT
[#5]
No experience with this set-up but it would seem like ammunition options would be a limiting factor. I believe most available AK ammo will disappoint in a rifle built for accuracy. Of course you could hand load for accuracy but if you are going to do that, why not go with a cartridge with more potential?
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 6:18:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a charles daly marked one for a few years.

Liked it alot.  Shot pretty good.

I would put a 20rd box of wolf into  2-3in hole all the time.  120yds.

Light  very mild recoil. Super cheap to feed.

Not sure why i sold it but i did.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 3:00:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I recently got a CZ 527 mini mauser in 7.62x39.  I currently have a Russian 4x range finding scope on it until I get a Nikon 2-7 x 32 scope.  Took it out and sighted it in at around 50 feet and then moved out to 100 yards.  Put 77 rounds of Silver Bear through it.  

Only targets I could find in my house were 50 yard 22LR targets and my eyes aren't what they used to be, shot prone at 100 yards through tall grass.  Hopefully, I will shoot better with a higher power scope mounted so I can actually see the target.

I'm going to use it for deer hunting this fall if I don't fill my tag with a crossbow.

I had tried to get a Zastava M85 but they kept getting sold out by the time I had my FFL send license to Centerfire Systems.  Now JGSales has them in stock for $399.00.  My CZ 527 was ordered through a local CZ dealer and took 4 months to get delivered and with sales tax came in at over $700.00.  Nice looking rifle though.

Should be good enough for a deer at the short ranges here in Michigan woods.  Entire target has a diameter of 5 3/4 inches.

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 5:34:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I had an early one in 7.62x39.  There was a gunsmith in Tucson that set the barrel back one turn, re-chambered it to tighter specs and it shot crazy good groups even with crappy ammo.  I regret selling it -
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 4:34:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I recently got a CZ 527 mini mauser in 7.62x39.  I currently have a Russian 4x range finding scope on it until I get a Nikon 2-7 x 32 scope.  Took it out and sighted it in at around 50 feet and then moved out to 100 yards.  Put 77 rounds of Silver Bear through it.  

Only targets I could find in my house were 50 yard 22LR targets and my eyes aren't what they used to be, shot prone at 100 yards through tall grass.  Hopefully, I will shoot better with a higher power scope mounted so I can actually see the target.

I'm going to use it for deer hunting this fall if I don't fill my tag with a crossbow.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/Wildweasel02/100_1967_zps0f325961.jpg

I had tried to get a Zastava M85 but they kept getting sold out by the time I had my FFL send license to Centerfire Systems.  Now JGSales has them in stock for $399.00.  My CZ 527 was ordered through a local CZ dealer and took 4 months to get delivered and with sales tax came in at over $700.00.  Nice looking rifle though.

Should be good enough for a deer at the short ranges here in Michigan woods.  Entire target has a diameter of 5 3/4 inches.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/Wildweasel02/5shots_zpsf8847ac9.jpg

View Quote

Nice rifle, I like the fact that it's DBM fed and has iron sights as well.

Might as well throw a pic of my 799 up since others are posting theirs.  Shown with a Leupold VX-1 in the pic, currently wear a Burris Timberline 3-9x.  Really like the little rifle.

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 8:50:03 AM EDT
[#10]
always wanted one just to see how bad Wolf ammo truly is...   they do sell Lapua in this caliber, I am sure that is above average quality for this caliber
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 9:35:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
always wanted one just to see how bad Wolf ammo truly is...   they do sell Lapua in this caliber, I am sure that is above average quality for this caliber
View Quote

I have a feeling that Russian ammo shot in a mini mauser is going to be sufficient for my purposes (deer hunting).  I have a Marlin 336 .30-30 and a S&W 1500 bolt action .30-06 and the .30-30 doesn't group as well as my CZ mini mauser did when I sighted it in.

I still have to take some PPU round nose 7.62x39 ammo out to shoot once I put a new scope on the rifle.  I gave my brother some PPU .30-30 ammo for his Marlin which he took a big buck with two years ago.

The mini mausers remind me of a .22LR firearm they are so light and smaller in size.  If you want one make a run up to Prescott at J&G.  They have a great price on the Zastava now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top