Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2014 9:46:32 PM EDT
I live in California and I just purchased a Spikes tactical lower ar receiver online yesterday. I know I have to install a bullet button and I intend to build it so it is completely legal in Ca. As unfortunate as the laws here are.. Anyway, I've been trying to research what is a legal California AR15 and I keep getting mixed results so I thought I would turn here to ask.

My understanding is that you can have a collapsible stock, pistol grip and flash hider as long as you have a fixed magazine. My understanding too is that an AR15 with a bullet button has a fixed magazine because you can not eject it without a tool.

Is my understanding of a legal AR correct?

Also what about a bullet button magnet? I've seen these lately and they say it's a "tool" if you don't keep it on there but only use it to eject the mag. Are bullet button magnets legal?

If you guys could help me out I would really appreciate it!

Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:23:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I live in California and I just purchased a Spikes tactical lower ar receiver online yesterday. I know I have to install a bullet button and I intend to build it so it is completely legal in Ca. As unfortunate as the laws here are.. Anyway, I've been trying to research what is a legal California AR15 and I keep getting mixed results so I thought I would turn here to ask.

My understanding is that you can have a collapsible stock, pistol grip and flash hider as long as you have a fixed magazine. My understanding too is that an AR15 with a bullet button has a fixed magazine because you can not eject it without a tool.

Is my understanding of a legal AR correct?  Yes, as long as you have a fixed mag you are fine with any other offending features.

Also what about a bullet button magnet? I've seen these lately and they say it's a "tool" if you don't keep it on there but only use it to eject the mag. Are bullet button magnets legal? I've read different things about these.  The legislature seems to have a raging hard-on to go after these, and the legality is questionable.  Personally I think its a bad idea that is tempting fate.  I am all for using all legal means to own what rifle you want, but I would not want to be a test case for this product.  I would just go with a regular bullet-button and be safe, or go featureless like I did when I lived in California.

If you guys could help me out I would really appreciate it!

Thank you!
View Quote

Former Cali resident here.  I try to keep up with the laws there, but I have not lived there in three years, so take what I say with a grain of salt.  You might want to poke around on the calguns forum.  They get a lot of flack here, but there is a lot of good information pertaining to the California gun issues.

ETA:  Your question might get some better replies in the CA hometown forum here.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_8/11_California.html
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:21:46 AM EDT
[#2]
The bullet button magnet is also referred to as the felony magnet.
In other words, it is NOT legal.
Once it is attached to the rifle, it is part of the rifle and not a tool.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:58:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The bullet button magnet is also referred to as the felony magnet.
In other words, it is NOT legal.
Once it is attached to the rifle, it is part of the rifle and not a tool.
View Quote

Legal for out of state use. Or with your .22LR conversion kit. Just make sure to pop out your mag magnet before removing the .22LR conversion kit. Even then I would just get a regular bullet button unless you want to quickly swap between .22LR and centerfire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top