User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 3:01:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't recall how many belt Feds they had, however the "Army" isn't in charge of such infinitely micro managerial tasks as ensuring every single checkpoint and cop have a proper number of MGs/HWs. That falls ultimately on commanders. IRRC many recommendations were made by junior leadership pertaining to COP Keating, most of which were ignored.

The m4 is not responsible, the BSO CDR was.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
oh good, I was wondering when the weekly repost of some HK marketing crap spoon fed to the Washington Times would happen this week.  I've been so looking forward to it the last few months.

response:
An M4, or any practical infantry rifle, is not a light machine gun and cannot replace one.  Nor is it practical to equip every combatant on the battlefield with a light machine gun.  Nor do guns work the way TV and the movies say they do.

+1000 Part of the problem is just that, soldiers having to use the wrong weapon for the job. Outpost should have been laced with belt feds.

Also the M4s problem over the M16 is that the gas port is much closer to the chamber, this alters pressures and timing. Then there's the shorter barrel which creates a lower velocity over the M16s longer barrel.

In that case they have the wrong weapon for the job.

I don't recall how many belt Feds they had, however the "Army" isn't in charge of such infinitely micro managerial tasks as ensuring every single checkpoint and cop have a proper number of MGs/HWs. That falls ultimately on commanders. IRRC many recommendations were made by junior leadership pertaining to COP Keating, most of which were ignored.

The problem is that you obviously give them a M4 when they need an LMG and not a M4. (Or just buy them a carbin that can shoot a lot without jamming).
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:16:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Solution: The last rifle to be issued by the US Army which received almost universal praise, was very accurate, had impressive stopping power, and was very reliable under poor conditions and sustained fire was the 1903 Springfield. Let's bring back the 03! *Sarcasm off* It's hard to believe the military can spend $150 million to $500 million per unit on aircraft with a back-end maintenance cost of five to tens that per unit, but we can't feed our guys times per day, buy every grunt his own bottle of CLP once per week, and keep the A10 flying. I guess when you live in an elitist metro-sexual GQ world which is short of brains and even shorter on practical experience, your government assigns suffering to those it wouldn't want showing up at its parties in wranglers and cowboy boots or worn out tweed, thick glasses and a pipe. Oh yeah, and congress now needs a pay raise so they can 'live decently' in DC. I'm getting rather sick of a bunch of 1.5 GPA urbanite men with smooth hands who spend more time on their hair in the morning than their wives pile driving everything from education to the military into the ground in this country. *Rant off*
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:47:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The problem is that you obviously give them a M4 when they need an LMG and not a M4. (Or just buy them a carbin that can shoot a lot without jamming).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
oh good, I was wondering when the weekly repost of some HK marketing crap spoon fed to the Washington Times would happen this week.  I've been so looking forward to it the last few months.

response:
An M4, or any practical infantry rifle, is not a light machine gun and cannot replace one.  Nor is it practical to equip every combatant on the battlefield with a light machine gun.  Nor do guns work the way TV and the movies say they do.

+1000 Part of the problem is just that, soldiers having to use the wrong weapon for the job. Outpost should have been laced with belt feds.

Also the M4s problem over the M16 is that the gas port is much closer to the chamber, this alters pressures and timing. Then there's the shorter barrel which creates a lower velocity over the M16s longer barrel.

What is the MTOE for an infantry platoon?  Not including TPE weapons.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:19:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keep your weapon clean. LUBED. Save my tax dollars.

This.....LUBED.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:20:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

response:

I think "you" should actually read up on the history of that engagements to see where the failures were.

Because "my" commanders in Afghanistan covered every small piece of TI in 240's, MK19s, and m14/110s, while having QRF no more than 30 minutes out since CAS was a bitch to make happen.

"Their" commanders could have given every soldier an M2, and it still wouldn't have done a lot of good.

So maybe "their" commanders made mistakes in planning and executing a small undermanned, and undergunned piece of TI too far away, at the WORST location deep in a valley and without a pre approved CAS plan for potential overrun.

The M4 didn't kill those troops. The Taliban did. They were able to, in part due to mid level command failures.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:10:21 AM EDT
[#6]
[

The M4 didn't kill those troops. The Taliban did. They were able to, in part due to mid level command failures.

Whoa! You mean officers make mistakes??? Well,crap! I never would've guessed. I thought it was always the fault of the grunts or the gear.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:33:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah, as "gun guys" we do tend to focus on the guns and not the important issue, weight. All the weight of the equipment that is carried by SM today is insane.
View Quote

Yet you propose a firearm design that would add probably five or more pounds to the weight of the rifle?  Or are we going back to 9mm submachine guns?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 3:08:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Stoner had envision a weapon that was very modular, one that could go from belt feed to magazine, it could go to rifle to carbine. The AR15 never lived up to that dream, but the Stoner 63 (despite its short comings) did.

I know I’ll get flamed by the fan boys but IMHO, we can engineer a weapon much simpler then the DI gas system. We don’t need rotating bolts, pistons or operating rods, and no gas tubes, just a simple delayed action is needed and make it just as modular as the Stoner 63.  This is why IMO, the weapons that were submitted to SOCOM were all junk, they were all more complex than the M4, without offering a whole lot more.  
View Quote

It's not a DI gas system.

And it don't get much simpler than the Stoner system.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 3:13:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:00:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Geez, never heard all this bullshit before.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I came across a couple of lengthy articles in the Washington Times regarding serious jamming and breakage problems with M4 rifles in combat. The military seems to be trying to sweep this under the rug. What do you guys think? Do you think improvements like piston systems, Nickel Boron Coated bolt carriers and Bolts, Better Barrels make the M4 platform more reliable and viable?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/feb/19/troop-left-to-fend-for-themselves-after-army-was-w/?page=all#pagebreak

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/feb/20/cover-up-army-historian-says-report-on-deadly-afgh/

Geez, never heard all this bullshit before.
Which decade?

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 11:04:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This is a dupe from like a month ago.

NEWSFLASH:  An M4 makes a poor Squad Automatic.  

And My Car also make s a poor Johnboat.

So use both inside their design parameters.

I will venture a guess that the reason those M-4's overheated in that firefight was poor fire discipline cause by a severe lack of training and a failure of leadership.

Just because you have a rifle in your had, are being shot at, there is a space in time and you can fill that space with the sound of gunfire doesn't mean you just half to pull the trigger right then.

I can only think of two times to go into hose mode with a rifle:

1) Ambush.

2) Establishing Fire Superiority.  And that kinda covers number one if you think about it.

and even then there is no law that says you cannot make use of your sights.

You should at least be getting a quick sight picture before you launch a round 90% of the time.  If you do that, you might actually hit something.
View Quote

They all could have been carrying M14s 240s and M110s and still wouldnt have walked out of there without CAS.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 1:52:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:43:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Obviously every single one in the inventory is a huge steaming POS.

They should pack them all in crates and send them to me for disposal.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:52:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yet you propose a firearm design that would add probably five or more pounds to the weight of the rifle?  Or are we going back to 9mm submachine guns?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, as "gun guys" we do tend to focus on the guns and not the important issue, weight. All the weight of the equipment that is carried by SM today is insane.

WTF are you talking about?
I had used the Stoner 63 as a example of a versatile weapon system, that's all, I'm not proposing that we use the stoner 63..
What's wrong, did I get your AR panties in a knot? I'm so sorry, who's the good stoner boy? who's the good stoner boy? You are!
There now, feel better?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:15:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I had used the Stoner 63 as a example of a versatile weapon system, that's all, I'm not proposing that we use the stoner 63..
What's wrong, did I get your AR panties in a knot? I'm so sorry, who's the good stoner boy? who's the good stoner boy? You are!
There now, feel better?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There now, feel better?

Has nothing to do with Eugene Stoner.  You're the one who opined that locked breech firearms are too complicated and that we should use simple blowback firearms.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 5:52:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Has nothing to do with Eugene Stoner.  You're the one who opined that locked breech firearms are too complicated and that we should use simple blowback firearms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There now, feel better?

Yes, once again, like I had said: "a simple delayed blow back action, fuck the rest". What does this have to do with 9mm?
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:42:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:37:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A rifle-calibered weapon in a simple Blowback action would weigh over ten pounds.

The reason there is the cams on a delayed blowback action is to use mechanical advantage to substitute for mass.  Simply blowback works for low-pressure pistol rounds, it is infeasible for rifle calibers..
View Quote

YES!...LOL, that's why I was speculating on a DELAYED blowback system....lol
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 10:08:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 10:15:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
And H&K abandoned the delayed blowback system for gas operation.

View Quote

And your point is?
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 10:17:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 10:23:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

They might know something you don't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And your point is?

which is?
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 10:24:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

which is?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And your point is?

which is?

Have you ever shot a G3, then immediately fired an AR10?

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 10:26:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And your point is?

which is?

Yeah, and your point is?
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 11:12:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:02:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

which is?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And your point is?

which is?

That RDB is mechanically complicated, difficult and expensive to machine, susceptible to malfunctions due to normal wear, heavy, difficult to adjust, and requires corncobby solutions like chamber fluting to prevent failures due to "aggressive" extraction.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:29:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

which is?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And your point is?

which is?

Delayed blowback is inferior to gas operation
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 11:38:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That RDB is mechanically complicated, difficult and expensive to machine, susceptible to malfunctions due to normal wear, heavy, difficult to adjust, and requires corncobby solutions like chamber fluting to prevent failures due to "aggressive" extraction.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And your point is?

which is?

I’m not a big HK fan (I don’t know why someone had referred to them, I'm not advocating that we use a roller rock), but I don't think their change in systems was because it was more difficult to engineer, it is a mature design and has been proven with hundreds of thousands if not millions of weapons sold. The German military were very slow to adopt the 5.56x45 mm NATO round - weapons made for export were another matter as were licenses granted to developing countries. The HK33 was a fine weapon, but Germany never got around to eating it's own dogfood with the downsized G3 and figured it was time to flip rifles entirely when they made the caliber change. The same thing has happened in many countries, the US in particular (M14 to the M16, two weapons with nothing in common philosophically), but this is just my opinion.  

Another thing with HK, not everything that glitters HK on the side of it, or claims HK's heritage, is gold. Enter the 416, are will willing to say that the 416 is superior to our M4/M16's?  No, that's absurd, but HK engineers know something we do... right?...that's ridicules.

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 11:46:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And your point is?

which is?

Debatable, I would say it depends on the gas system (and the delayed blowback operation). As we all know M16 is not the weapon of choice for sustained heavy volume fire, that is the role of the MG, but what if by some engineering marvel we were able to attain the same role with one weapon?
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 12:50:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I’m not a big HK fan (I don’t know why someone had referred to them, I'm not advocating that we use a roller rock), but I don't think their change in systems was because it was more difficult to engineer, it is a mature design and has been proven with hundreds of thousands if not millions of weapons sold. The German military were very slow to adopt the 5.56x45 mm NATO round - weapons made for export were another matter as were licenses granted to developing countries. The HK33 was a fine weapon, but Germany never got around to eating it's own dogfood with the downsized G3 and figured it was time to flip rifles entirely when they made the caliber change. The same thing has happened in many countries, the US in particular (M14 to the M16, two weapons with nothing in common philosophically), but this is just my opinion.  

Another thing with HK, not everything that glitters HK on the side of it, or claims HK's heritage, is gold. Enter the 416, are will willing to say that the 416 is superior to our M4/M16's?  No, that's absurd, but HK engineers know something we do... right?...that's ridicules.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And your point is?

which is?

See, the Germans have a certain approach to engineering design.  Their design process is very top down, i.e. "It vill have exactly ZIS functionality, nein ifs, unds, or buts!".  And then their engineers bustle around for a while and come up with a beautiful, sophisticated design that performs the function.  It's expertly machined to very precise tolerances using state-of-the-art equipment, and all the little components work together like a swiss watch....

...until they don't.  Their designs (tend to be) over-complicated, failure prone (as a result), and too difficult and expensive to manufacture to really be considered elegant.  These problems literally go back to the first world war (and maybe beyond) with their super-expensive artillery pieces that worked wonderfully...for a while...after bankrupting their military.  Or look at the issues with the Tiger tank.  Best tank on the battlefield... when it was running.... or available, since they couldn't afford to build many at all.

Design maturity is one thing.  Manufacturability and ruggedness is another.  DBB systems have all but disappeared in modern weapons because the manufacturability, ruggedness, and weight tradeoffs were not worth the possible benefits.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 12:53:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

See, the Germans have a certain approach to engineering design.  Their design process is very top down, i.e. "It vill have exactly ZIS functionality, nein ifs, unds, or buts!".  And then their engineers bustle around for a while and come up with a beautiful, sophisticated design that performs the function.  It's expertly machined to very precise tolerances using state-of-the-art equipment, and all the little components work together like a swiss watch....

...until they don't.  Their designs (tend to be) over-complicated, failure prone (as a result), and too difficult and expensive to manufacture to really be considered elegant.  These problems literally go back to the first world war (and maybe beyond) with their super-expensive artillery pieces that worked wonderfully...for a while...after bankrupting their military.  Or look at the issues with the Tiger tank.  Best tank on the battlefield... when it was running.... or available, since they couldn't afford to build many at all.

Design maturity is one thing.  Manufacturability and ruggedness is another.  DBB systems have all but disappeared in modern weapons because the manufacturability, ruggedness, and weight tradeoffs were not worth the possible benefits.
View Quote

I agree with you in principle, but DEVGRU and CAG didn't seem to have any qualms about adopting the 416.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 1:00:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I agree with you in principle, but DEVGRU and CAG didn't seem to have any qualms about adopting the 416.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm being rather unfair to them, of course.  I don't have any experience with the 416, so I can't comment directly on its design.  I just think it's funny how so many German designs seem to suffer from the same types of problems.

On the opposite side of the coin, the Russians tend to produce crap that barely works, but is so damn simple to manufacture that you could basically build an Energia rocket engine using stuff you'd find in a blacksmith shop.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 1:26:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

^This^

It's not the shortcomings of the weapon. It's not "catastrophic barrel failure". It's the fact that people nowhere near the battlefield are moving troops into places like pieces on a board game.

"Just load them up with more ammo"

Bottom line is soldiers are being pushed into places they don't always stand a chance of coming out of. They could go in with Phased Plasma Rifles and still get thrashed. Bad intel. Bad upper-leadership. Bad coordination of resources to get the soldiers evacuated from these areas. Bad communication equipment. There are failures on so many levels. Stacking more body armor and magazines into the pockets of the soldiers does nothing for survivability when their grossly out numbered and out of their element. Sorry... that's the reality I'm seeing. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 1:51:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm being rather unfair to them, of course.  I don't have any experience with the 416, so I can't comment directly on its design.  I just think it's funny how so many German designs seem to suffer from the same types of problems.

On the opposite side of the coin, the Russians tend to produce crap that barely works, but is so damn simple to manufacture that you could basically build an Energia rocket engine using stuff you'd find in a blacksmith shop.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:15:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lets be honest, half of the weapon is about 50 years old. Yes they made a new stock and changed the mag well a bit but the 416 isn't exactly a new weapon.

As for the article the main concern was the M4 wasn't an LMG.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:35:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Lets be honest, half of the weapon is about 50 years old. Yes they made a new stock and changed the mag well a bit but the 416 isn't exactly a new weapon.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha well, yes, they didn't reinvent the wheel, but they did change the gas system.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:00:02 PM EDT
[#37]
The HK33 was never really satisfactory. Heres what Jim Schatz has to say about 5.56 DRB:

The German Army never issued the HK33. They transitioned directly from the G3 to the G36. Contrary to popular belief the roller-locked guns are not as reliable as one might think (there are 80 different locking pieces for the G3 alone for different barrel lengths and ammunition types, 40+ for the 5.56mm roller locked HK's) and they are costly to make in todays world of polymer molding. The G36 was developed by HK to meet an urgent requirement for the German Army once the German constitution was changed in the early 1990's allowing German forces to deploy outside Germany. They therefore wanted a modern 5.56mm rifle and HK opted to go with the op rod gas system feeling it was superior for the rifle required. The G36 is one of the most reliable 5.56mm assault rifles on the globe and actually outperforms the HK33 in HK's own testing. That similar op rod gas system was later used in the XM8, HK416, HK417 and MP7 with excellent results as well. It is unlikely that you will see any new roller-locked HK rifles designs from HK.

From: http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-long-gun-talk/110932-hk33-vs-g36.html

And also what Larry Vickers has to say:

A while back I was talking to Blake Stevens of Collector Grade publications fame on the phone- we were discussing the excellent roller locked book he had just come out with ( specifically there was an error I caught and I called to bust his chops ) - he had mentioned in doing the book that HK never quite got the 5.56 roller locked guns right and there was almost an unsaid 'elephant in the room' type vibe that they knew that mechanism was not a good fit for that caliber- Blake theorized it was because it is dimensionally a small cartridge compared to 7.62 NATO but operates at high pressures - that combo has proven problematic

It was interesting as I had never stopped to think about it but obviously he is right; name one roller locked 5.56 weapon that has been a real success ?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top